1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Pensacola Bay's ESB - Pensacola Bay Brewery

Pensacola Bay's ESB
No picture uploaded.
good

Pensacola Bay Brewery visit their website
Florida, United States

Extra Special / Strong Bitter (ESB) |  6.00% ABV

Pensacola is a city inspired by crystal white beaches and the adventure of the open water. There’s something extra special about our hometown, its landmarks and its people. We were inspired, and our Pensacola Bay’s Extra Special was born.

Our richly flavored ESB has a strong hoppy flavor, without the bitterness of its name. One of our most popular beers, the Pensacola Bay’s Extra Special will delight your palette and make your day at the same time. Don’t let the name fool you, our ESB is smooth with a slight citrus finish.

Try a sip, sample a glass and become a convert. Just like the folks who visit our beaches and decide to stay, you’ll find the Pensacola Bay’s Extra Special to be a new favorite.

(Beer added by: cjgator3 on 12-29-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 10 | Reviews: 2 | Show All Ratings:
charlzm

3.9/5  rDev +4.3%

Consumed March 10th, 2012 at the brewery.

Beer presents as a clear, light reddish/caramel. A fine, off-white head provides excellent sheeting (as with all of this brewery's fare).

Aroma is defined by a touch of soapiness and roasted nuts.

Great flavor: toasty caramel and toffee malts up front with some fruity esters. Slightly sweet. Low bitterness.

Well carbonated with good mouthfeel.

Very drinkable: sort of splits the difference between a traditional ESB and a brown ale. One of the better PBB beers.

06-05-2012 02:07:50 | More by charlzm
abeerlovr

3.78/5  rDev +1.1%

I have had this beer several times at the brewery and served at a professional beer pairing dinner pour into a standard pint glass.

A: clear light colored beer, decent head, dissipates quickly.

S: hoppy, citrus smell, nothing over the top as you would expect from an ESB.

T: definitely not a strong ESB, which may be good or bad depending on your taste. Not overly hoppy, well balanced smooth, easy to drink so I would not classify it as an ESB as it is just not very hoppy or bitter. I was surprised when I first tasted this as I expected more hops and bitterness.

M: crisp clean drinking beer

Overall: I enjoy this beer and it may be my favorite PBB beer. Again the name is misleading as this is not an overly bitter beer and not overly hoppy. A good beer that would appeal to many types of beer drinkers.

08-10-2011 18:26:23 | More by abeerlovr