I-10 IPA - Intuition Ale Works

I-10 IPAI-10 IPA

Intuition Ale Works visit their website
Florida, United States

Beer added by: nickfl on 01-26-2011

The West Coast comes to Jax with this extremely hoppy, true India Pale Ale. Our two-row malted barley and caramel malt come to life with a ?@!#-ton of Northwest hops. We use 4 different hops during the brewing process and during dry hopping. It’s music to your nose.
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last

Got this one thru a trade.... an extra that was more than a sleeper....
Drank it straight from the can so disregard the appearance score... and the smell mostly as I smelt it thru the can...

Smell.... dank hops... piney resin, grapefruit... and fresh... smelt very good..

Taste... instant dank resinous hops hits and stays to the back top of your mouth thru the finish and well into the aftertaste... slight citrus pineapple/grapefruit sweetness in there...

Mouthfeel was well carbonated medium to heavy body with a nice crispness to it..

Overall I was very surprised... this was a very good beer from start to finish.. in my opinion it rivals with the likes of its California brothers... don't have it by me but if I was in a store that had my other favorites too... I'd buy this one once every 4 or 5 times.. (816 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A- slighthly hazy honey gold with a light tan head. The head sports some very coarse bubbles and it thins out pretty quick, and it leaves decent lacing while it lasts.

S- my first impression is grassy, but it shows some really fresh notes of lemon and or zest as we'll. If you look deep enough it has a some dank hops to offer as well. The grains come through nicely as well.

T- fresh citrus peel, fresh grain, resiny hops. really light a and refreshing

M- light/medium bodied, refreshing. Active carbonation.

O- I would buy this again. Refreshing and balanced. (565 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This beer was brought from Jacksonville, Florida for Fourth of July.

A Golden/Orange body. White, medium, quickly disappearing head...
S Sweet muted pine and hops...
T Like it smells. Orange...
M Lacking mouthfeel...
Overall - Uninspiring for me. This beer is tasty. Good for newcomers... (289 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -6%

12 oz. can poured into a shaped DFH pint glass. Thanks to Brendan for sending this one.

A - Pours copper with a two fingers of off-white head. The foam dies quickly, but leaves a thick halo around the edge. Good lacing.

S - Smells of stale grains, some citrus hops, and sweet bread. I'm not a big fan of the aroma. Smells more like an English IPA thn a West Coast IPA.

T - Strong citrus hops throughout. Sweet and malty enough to balance. Dry and bitter finish.

M - Medium body with an underlying smooth carbonation.

O - I didn't really enjoy the aroma, but the flavor made up for it. Very balanced IPA with good malt and a bitter finish. I always appreciate a good IPA from a can as well. Pretty good stuff. (716 characters)

On tap at Kickbacks

A-Pours copper in color with just a slight haze. One finger off white head stays for a minute or so settling down to a thin cap of foam that leaves some wispy lace.

S-Strong hop nose here. Citrus hops are predominant with some piney/resiny undertones. I'm trying to detect some malt but can't pick any up. But thats ok by me. The nose is all about the hops.

T-Hoppy and more bitter than I anticipated (again, thats ok by me). Juicy citrus, a bit of resin. Some caramel malt coming through that I couldn't detect in the nose providing a slight nod to balance, but the hops are certainly front and center.

M-Medium body and carbonation. Dry finish.

O-A nice IPA that I enjoyed. Especially for a hot summer day in Florida. (744 characters)

Pours a clear red/orange with a nice fluffy white head.

Smells of grapefruit, pine, some stone/pitted fruit, along with a slight sweetness.

Taste is odd astringent/onion hop character up front that goes into a more unpleasant grassy/vegetal character that lingers into the finish. Almost has a chemical-like taste...odd.

Light to medium body with medium to low carbonation and no real signs of the abv.

The aroma and appearance had me excited for this one, but it has a surprisingly grassy/astringent character that is not pleasing, along with an odd, really dry vegetal taste in the finish. (597 characters)

3.91/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Produces a generous beige head of loose bubbles from the can. Copper or medium amber and fully transparent. Pungent, spicy hop aromas mingle with grapefruit and a subtle suggestion of Grand Marnier. Orange loaf also comes to mind. A medium bodied beer with a moderate level of carbonation and plenty of bitterness. Definitely West Coast inspired as advertised. Bitter herb and tangy grapefruit flavors stand out on the tongue, but the malts can be found if you go looking. Dry finish. (484 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -1%

A - 4.0 - Orangey gold, a finger of attractive light tan head that sticks around for a while and leaves behind nice rings of lacing like a striped sweater. Nice.

S - 4.0 - A really nice fresh floral-honey combo wrapped up in soft orange and pine notes. Very nice.

T - 3.5 - Low-mid bitterness level of the pine variety that lasts on the palate for a good while after swallowing. A slightly vegetal note in with the floury malt. Interesting to see someone here say the same thing. I feel like that note is on the edge between something that tastes weird and something that gives interesting character. Normally I'd give a 3.5 to something that was better than average, nothing wrong with it, but not notably good. This one gets a 3.5 because parts of it are notably good and parts detract.

M - 4.0 - Medium bodied. There's something happening in here that I wouldn't quite call dryness, but it's almost a powder sensation, sort of like cocoa but without any cocoa flavor. Maybe more like flour. I haven't experienced this before. It's interesting.

O - 4.0 - This brewery is kind of uneven. They've got some unremarkable middle of the road beers, some kind of amateur tasting beers, and some pretty good ones. This falls in the latter category. I particularly like the aroma, which is just delicious. (1,302 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Cloudy, copper-orange. Thick, two finger, off-white head turns to a pretty solid cap. Good lacing.

Extremely resinous right off the bat. Pine and resin are definitely the dominant force. Some grapefruit sneaks past after it sits a little bit.

Just like the nose the pine resin rules the taste. Get a sense of malt before finishing earthy and floral. Slightly resinous aftertaste. Medium body with good prickly carbonation.

Pretty straight forward. Easy drinker. No complaints, but I can easily grab an assortment of comparable brews off any shelf. (550 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Copper color, large off white head, great lacing

S: Pine hop smell, malts in background, decent amount of smell to it

T: Piney hops upfront, resoney hop taste in transition then slight malt sweetness to balance, balances well

M: medium, good carbonation

O: Great beer, I have it every time I visit Jacksonville, eager to try others from intuition. (355 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Drank from a can with a Georgia Theatre coozie intact.
Immediately smell the hoppy freshness right after cracking open the can. Nice pine/citrus hops with a very nice sweet malt backbone. Grapefruit comes through a bit on the end. Very nice beer overall. Gonna let this one warm up to grab more flavors. (303 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +7.3%

Filled my growler today, pouring into a pint glass.

A: Thick, 2 finger, white with a darker tint, very bubbly, frothy, sticks to the rim as it dissipates, head retention up to par, carbonation looks excellent. Filtered, extremely light amber / brown hue.

S: Can you say hops? Potent dank hop aroma off the bat, very dominant. Undertones of some sweet malts.

T: The dank hops have a resiny, grapefruit taste. Turns to a sour green apple feel on the back end of the gulp, as it splashes to the throat. Malt profile is somewhat lacking, caramel sweet notes are there but could use a bigger backbone to balance the hops. Extremely potent hop juice taste lingers after each sip, guessing from a good amount of dry hopping.

M: Hoppy bitter from the start to finish, feels like a bubbly burning sensation. I really like the relatively high level of bitterness (reminds me of Lagunitas' Hop Stoopid), it balances out the light body making for a slower, more enjoyable drinking experience.

O: One of my favorite IPAs in general and love that it is locally produced (only 20 minutes down the road). For the style, it is relatively one sided towards the hop profile but we are talking IPAs so in that aspect A+. Implement a more sturdy malt backbone and I-10 would be recognized nationally. (1,289 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +7.8%

Pours a deep orange color with hardly any head. There is also very little lacing on the glass. It seems almost thin. The smell makes up for that though. Piney hops dominate the aroma. Tastes are more fruity - citrus and apricot. All in all I like the taste. Thes brew is very drinkable and goes down well. A nice selection for a local Jville brewery. (350 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Canned 8.14.14. Drank 9.15.14. Poured into a 20oz red wine glass, because I'm classy like that.

Headed down to Saint Augustine, FL for a little vacation and decided to see if the local options had anything enticing. Of course I knew I would be able to pick up anything from CCB, but wanted to investigate the Jacksonville options. Well, after a week of trying a few of the more readily available JAX beers, I have found my go to for all future visits.

A: Three finger hard pour. Big bubble pits, and great head retention. Head is milky white, very sticky with generous lacing. Liquid is unfiltered honey in color, bordering on bright copper... deep and hazy. Carbonation is visible and lingers.

S: Pungent. Inside, outside... you could smell it from a few feet away. Very fresh and biting. Ripe nectarines, tart peach, citrus rind, lemon zest, and dank hop oils. Pretty damn fantastic and appropriate for siting out enjoying the ocean mist.

T: Carbonated malt up front, followed immediately by heavy hitting hop bitterness, and a sticky tartness which stays with you for quite some time. Resinous and juicy to start, then transitions into citrus rind, soft florals, and strong bitter pine oil. Could benefit from a stronger infusion of sweet fruit flavor to contrast the bitterness.

M: Medium body, crisp carbonation, big time chewy, finishes dry with a feeling of caked on tree sap.

O: A hidden gem from the JAX coast. My new go to whenever I am in the area and can get it fresh. Easy to love for committed hop heads, plenty of biting hops, strong aroma, and quite tasty. (1,578 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +10.7%

As I live in Jacksonville, FL this is my go to beer at most eating establishments. It is consistent with lots of smooth hop flavor. Since I prefer beers from the tap this one is almost always available locally. (210 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Not bad, not bad at all. Solid IPA,very enjoyable, good balance between the hops and the malt back bone. Discovered this one simpy cause the local Publix in North Florida I was at was out of another Florida IPA and had removed their entire lineup from the cold box and replaced it with Intuitions 3 current year round offerings. Business wise I can understand as it is brewed in Jacksonville. A decent average IPA that I am glad the brewery is getting a push from the local Florida Publix's though I am not overwhelmed by this beer yet with time and more revenue I can see Intuition developing into a fine brewery and I look forward to their development. (654 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +9.1%

As noted in another review, the fantastic hop aroma in this brew doesn't totally transfer over to the taste. I didn't get as much of a kick as I was hoping for when I tasted it, however the taste was very pleasant and enjoyable. It drinks more like a pale ale, but still with that great hop aroma. I had a blast visiting Intuition and would be happy to make an afternoon out of enjoying their beer anytime I'm in town. They let us sample their dubbel out of the tank on the tour, and I think that will be spectacular. They'd also just acquired 2 Woodford Reserve bourbon barrels and were really pumped about them. Just a fun time to be around this crew. (653 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +0.8%

Amber, very slight haze, cream colored head fades to thin layer but hangs on.

Aroma is mostly hops, with orange, pine and a little spicey/ herbal note. Nice hop nose. Malt comes across a little more subtly as bread crust.

Very well balanced IPA with somewhat aggressive bitterness, matched by and juicy/ spicy hop flavors and aromas. Malt is clean and carries the hop, crisp well attenuated toast & cracker flavors with a little spicy character. I might guess there was some rye malt in this.

Very tasty American IPA. Not sure I would call it West Coast style, this is in the range that any good American IPA could fall into. Maybe hops are a little more in your face at packaging but this can, dated 6/17/15 was as hoppy as it needed to be 4 weeks later.

Thanks to cousin Joe for the solid FL ipa! (805 characters)

2.99/5  rDev -22.1%

Nice head, which diminishes quickly. A pale color, almost red when held to the light. A citrusy aroma, but it wasn't there as much in the taste. A bit carbonated, but the other beer I had here was, too, so I don't know how much of that was the beer. Seemed like the little brother to the Portland IPAs I'm used to. (314 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very Hoppy beer, with some kick to it.

Served at the brewery located in Jacksonville. It is their best seller there.

They also serve a sampler platter with 5 beers to let you try out the other beers.

Nice little pub feel located in downtown area of Jacksonville. No parking, but
cool little place once you get inside. (322 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last