2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hammerhead IPA - Beach Brewing Company

Hammerhead IPAHammerhead IPA

good

Beach Brewing Company visit their website
Virginia, United States

(Beer added by: Kegatron on 02-15-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 35 | Reviews: 8 | Show All Ratings:
snaotheus

Washington

2.13/5  rDev -41.2%

22oz bottle poured into a large mug. Thanks leedle brudda for bringing it from VA!

Pours slightly cloudy and slightly orangish. Huge fluffy head. Smell is floral with a surprisingly sweet fruity smell.

Taste is catty and off. Not cool. Some interesting hops character, but dominated by unpleasantness.

Mouthfeel is oily and astringent, leaves a strange texture in the mouth. I hope this just happens to be a bad bottle, but this is not a good beer. I'll give it a few more sips to see if I warm up to it, but it seems a likely candidate for drainpour.

08-18-2012 00:29:33 | More by snaotheus
JayQue

3.78/5  rDev +4.4%

My first review from this local brewer. Hammerhead is a good IPA...not a real hop bomb, but nicely balanced with a good hoppy aroma.

Pours a hazy honey color into my pint glass. A hard pour will provide a big slightly off-white frothy head with good retention. Thick bands of lacing.

Smell is very pronounced citrus hops...very good.

Taste is a bit more subdued. There is a malty balance between the citrus and piney hops. You can enjoy the hops but it is not a head shrinker with a pronounced hope "bite".

Mouthfeel is rich and crisp. A little hops bite. Nothing watery about this beer. I did not notice any metallic aftertaste that some reviewers mentioned. Grape and Gourmet sells a lot of Beach Brewing beers, so I know this one was fresh.

Overall a good IPA but not the hophead delight that so many expect. I enjoyed the 22 ozer myself and would drink one again.

05-30-2012 23:25:11 | More by JayQue
TechTriumph

3.25/5  rDev -10.2%

Bottling code: 271 11 A1P 1339; Poured in a pint glass.

A - Less than one inch of off-white creamy head that doesn't last too long; Hazy caramel/amber in color with lots of visible sediment within the glass; No lacing to be seen

S - Not too strong of an aroma present; Notes of citrusy orange with a touch of floral hops, as well as sweet caramel malts

T - Very mild hop presence with leafy/vegetable and metallic flavors stepping forward; Sweet caramel and biscuity malts show up in mid-taste, but turn into a fairly strong flavor of burnt toast soon afterwards; Pretty mild bitterness in the first half of the taste

M - Moderate carbonation; Medium bodied; Semi-dry finish that leaves a slight oily coat in the mouth

O - I've enjoyed the previous beers I've had from Beach Brewing, but this one didn't quite bring the same satisfaction. The aroma and taste are solid enough, though the aftertaste of burnt toast combined with leafy hops just didn't seem quite right to me. I'm guessing the bottling code uses the Julian calendar, meaning this beer was bottled on 09/28/11. If this beer is indeed 5-1/2 months old, then that would explain the unusual taste that I'm getting. I'd certainly like to give this beer another try, but only with the knowledge that I'm getting a much fresher bottle.

03-18-2012 00:10:03 | More by TechTriumph
Crazyale

2.68/5  rDev -26%

22 oz bottle poured into a tulip glass. No bottling date/best by date visible.

A: Pours a cloudy dark amber color, nearly as dark as Lipton hot tea. There's a decent one finger head that dissipates in a minute or two. No real lacing was left on the glass.

S: There's a bright citrusy character in the aroma, with a bit of wet dishrag mixed in.

T: There's a pronounced grassiness, along with some floral and citrus notes. Unfortunately, the wet towel taste is even more prevalent in the taste than in the aroma. I made sure this was not coming from my glass by drinking some straight out of the bottle as well, and I still tasted it.

M: Smooth, medium mouthfeel with a healthy amount of carbonation.

Overall, I'm not a fan of this beer. I wish I knew how old it was, as age could be a major factor in how this tastes. However, I just noticed it at my bottle store today for the first time, so I doubt it's all that old. Even limiting myself to IPAs brewed in Virginia, there are many better ones.

03-11-2012 03:37:46 | More by Crazyale
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

3.55/5  rDev -1.9%

A good head but a light looking body. Decent bitterness, I'm guessing 60 IBU,however a bit on the mouthfeel light side. C-hop aroma certainly there.The malting does not do it justice in terms of bringing out the flavour. Playing around, we put in a very bretty beer and it worked great but that it us and not ratable.radek's bottle from his most recent trip down to the brewpub.

02-20-2012 02:14:52 | More by Sammy
FenwaySquid

Presentation: 22 oz. brown bottle, no dating that I could find, poured into a Sam Adams glass.

Appearance: Pours a hazy amber/copper color, small carbonation bubbles rising inside. The head formed 1-2 fingers thick and faded into a thin layer with some lacing. I like the color.

Smell: Piney, floral hops. Quite the bouquet, man that smells good.

Taste: Citrus hops with toasted malt in the background. The hops turn piney in the middle and stay strong through the finish. The hoppiness lingers for quite a while afterwards.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, smooth and creamy, with a crisp finish. The carbonation was moderate, and fit nicely.

Overall: A nice hoppy American IPA. It could use a little tweaking, mayby some more malt in there and subdue the hops a little bit. Even still, I'd recommdend this one to anyone who likes American IPAs.

02-19-2012 02:49:30 | More by FenwaySquid
Kegatron

3.58/5  rDev -1.1%

22 oz bottle into a tulip glass.

Pours a clear copper, with a finger of foamy bright-white head. This retains with a thin frothy layer, leaving back a moderate cascade of spotty lacing which slowly drips down the sides of the glass. The aroma smells leafy and herbal, with some light tropical fruit notes, which is undercut by notes of pine and some green grapefruit flavors. Toasted grains round out the edges of this well, as the overall nose is coming off to me as fresh, herbal, and fruity feeling.

The taste has a crisp citric bite up front that spreads green leafy bitterness and citrus tones out into the mouth. Light ripened tropical fruit character and a toasted graininess balance this, although the malts in particular mostly stay in the background. Hops hang in the finish, with resins, spice, and a lingering herbal feel. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a firm creaminess upon first sip that get’s progressively sharper the longer it sits in the mouth. Fortunately, there is enough of an underlying slickness here to keep this moving along. That 6% ABV is spot on here, with just the tiniest bit of warmth present but is mostly here to jut add a touch of fullness to the feel.

This was my first experience with this new brewery and I have to say… not bad at all! It seemed like this IPA could have used a bit of refinement but the overall fresh and flavorful crispness here helped pull it through to the end. A little further tweaking and this could really be right there for the style. I’ll be checking back in with this one.

02-15-2012 18:10:49 | More by Kegatron
clayrock81

3.84/5  rDev +6.1%

Judging by past reviews, the brewery has updated the recipe and come out with a better beer (according to most, I would say) or the fact that I had a fresh keg (tapped same day) made a huge difference. Poured a golden orange body with two finger head and the aroma is fresh, piney, citric, even soapy hops with a touch of malt behind it. Beer is smooth, easy to drink, the hops are fresh and tasty with citric, even some grape, notes and finish prickly and crisp on the backend and there is balance from minimal (caramel) malts.

04-06-2014 14:09:12 | More by clayrock81