King Coconut Porter - Catawba Brewing Co.

King Coconut PorterKing Coconut Porter

Catawba Brewing Co. visit their website
North Carolina, United States

American Porter |  5.40% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-14-2004)

3.84/5  rDev -4.5%

3.6/5  rDev -10.4%

4.75/5  rDev +18.2%

3.5/5  rDev -12.9%

One of the overlooked CANtributors to The CANQuest ™ is one of my local beer people, soon (eventually) to be a “Character” in my column – Justin C. He does a good job of looking out for new and different CANs for me in his travels and this is one with which he recently returned.

From the CAN: "King Coconut Porter is sometimes called a [CAN]dy bar in a [CAN], but we like to think of it as a slice of paradise. During brewing, the sweetness of delicious chocolate, roasted, and caramelized malt is balanced with a touch of British hops bitterness. The King is then aged on oven-toasted coconut for several weeks to build its tropical character! Take a sip, sniff the aroma, and let your mind drift to the islands."

"I'm taking over now. King Woody! The Invincible! Hey, Deb (#TheOldLady), watch this! [Woody opens the CAN and is vaporized by the CANtents.] Oh my. What a shame." - Those are classic lines from one of my all-time favorite movies. First person to identify the movie gets a CAN of beer!

Good (?) news! I was not vaporized after all! The Crack! was nice and loud and I was able to avoid any problems on its release. It was a brimful CAN and so I CANducted an inverted Glug only to watch the fizzy two-plus fingers dissipate almost as quickly as the pseudo-cascade ended. Soda pop! Color was Black-Opaque (SRM = 44) and I could barely see Dark Brown highlights at the edges. Nose held more of a roasted malt smokiness than the labeling had led me to expect. Where was the coconut? Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium, thin for a Porter. The taste was VERY evocative of a Mounds bar - dark chocolate and coconut. Hee hee. It leads me to wonder how it would work as a panty peeler. Finish was sweet. The chocolate and coconut were unrelenting. It was really more of a dessert beer or an after-dinner beer, certainly not one with which to load up the cooler. I applaud their innovation and I would keep it in mind for those cirCANstances where it might come in handy, but for me, personally, it was a one-and-done. YMMV.

3.6/5  rDev -10.4%

3.75/5  rDev -6.7%

This beer was a bit thin for a porter, I did not detect all that much coconut and the touted candy bar in a can slogan was a bit over sold. It was a solid porter overall. I think the flavors are typical of the style. I do wish there was a bit more thickness to this beer and a bit less of the carbonation. I wonder how this one would taste as a nitro beer?

3.25/5  rDev -19.2%

2.15/5  rDev -46.5%

Someone extra'd me a can of this recently, but I apologize for forgetting who it was.

Pretty typical porter appearance, dark brown, with a small tan cap of head that dwindled to a thin layer; minimal lacing. Aroma was on the lighter side, standard notes of roasty dark malts, with hints of coconut and toffee. In the taste, there was, again, dark roasty malts with some expected bitterness, thin coconut water, quickly followed by a wave of acridity: metallic, sulfuric, chemical. Really bad. This was undrinkable.

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

3.75/5  rDev -6.7%

King Coconut Porter from Catawba Brewing Co.