Hopstorm IPA - BJs Restaurant & Brewery

to view more.
Ratings: 50 | Reviews: 5
Reviews by StArnoldFan:
3.87/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours golden brown with a beautiful foamy white head. For a beer called "Hopstorm" I was expecting a bit more bitterness, but surprisingly it was a bit more tame than that. Smell was of pine and citrus with light fruit notes. Taste was similar. Like I said, I was expecting more bitterness than this. Still good though, and drank smoothly as well. This is a good beer, but I wouldn't go to BJs just to have it. Being from San Diego I have so many amazing IPA options other than this.

4.6/5  rDev +28.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I love a good beer with a strong bite. Full flavor and feel with a nice bitter end.

3.81/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Served on tap at BJ's Brewpub in Fort Worth. Nice copper color with a one finger white sticky head that leaves lacing all the way down the glass, as expected with an IPA. Not much bubble support for the head.

Aroma clearly shows the 6 different hops they use. I really like the blend. Not too piney like some hops, but well balanced showing they didn't try to shove them up your nose.

The taste is nice and bitter with good hop flavor. Not my favorite IPA, but very drinkable, and extremely solid for a brewpub. No excessive bitterness in the aftertaste like some IPAs. Nice hop blast and then it slowly fades away on the palate leaving you ready for the next sip.

Mouthfeel is right for the style, carbonated but not foamy.

Overall a solid IPA. If this were sold in stores, I would probably bypass it for some other offerings, but for being a restaurant beer it holds up well.

3.63/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

On draft at Plano BJ's.

A: 3.75 - Medium-light copper color with a creamy head.
S: 3.75 - Pleasant citrusy, grassy hoppiness, though not too strong.
T: 3.5 - Initial taste is bitterness, with moderate hop flavor--a little citrusy, but not too much. Malt is fairly light, with neutral yeast character.
M: 3.5 - Medium textured, not too heavy of a body.
O: 3.75 - This is pretty much "generic IPA", that doesn't stand out in any way. It's drinkable enough, but it reminds me of a typical 90s brewpub IPA. It's one of my favorite beers at BJ's, but that says more about the average lineup than anything exceptional about this beer. It goes with most of their dishes fine.

3.59/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I honestly don't have much to say about this one. I've had it about a dozen times, and I find that it's basically just a weaker, inferior version of the Green Flash West Coast IPA. Considering that Green Flash makes a few of the best IPAs I've ever tasted, I think that's a fairly generous comparison.

My only major complaint is that the name of the drink is "Hopstorm" yet it's not even that bitter or hoppy. I'd say it's more like a "Hopbreeze".

Overall pretty good, but there are much better IPAs out there.

to view more.