Old Scallywag - Bourbon Barrel Aged - Coronado Brewing Company

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.1/5  rDev +2.8%

- 2013 vintage
- 22 oz. bottle poured into Lost Abbey Teku on 29-Nov-14

Note: I'm a bit sick so my palate is a tad bit compromised

Nice apple notes! With hints of vanilla and pear notes and a fair level of malt backbone. Not overly malty like the Bruery anny brews. The carbo's fairly high for a beer that's about a year old. The heat (and unfortunately the booze) is fairly prominent. Another year in the cellar, I surmise, would do real good justice for this beer.

Overall, I'm impressed. I loved the brandy barrel-aged BW that was released 2 years prior, and enjoy this one almost as much. $16, I would seek this again.

4.1/5  rDev +2.8%

Thanks to my suitcase & Delta for getting this back to MN from CA in one piece along with, well, I think there were 14 bottles jammed in among my work clothes. 22 oz. bottle, dated 2013, split with my wife.

The pour is a dark mellow orange with a slight head that hangs on with all five fingers. The nose doesn’t bring much to the rave: mild caramel, little vanilla, malty sweetness. Even as it warms, it gains minimal strength. Low impact nose.

If Old Scallywag were a cartoon, it would be a dancing cube of brown sugar. A big dose of raw sugar shocks the palate into momentary paralysis. When my mouth unseizes, there’s the leg-trap of bourbon, Big Vanilla, & a shot of alcohol numbness that might even have satisfied Ben Sanderson. On the downslope of the booze are fistfuls of brown sugar, caramel, wood, wood alcohol, grain alcohol, school lunch alcohol. Smooth but hot. I will not have any trouble getting through 11 oz. of this.

This one needed to warm, but when it does, it’s springtime flowering in my belly. I can’t imagine the booziness that must have streaked through this when it was really young: this is a hot, bourbon-soaked, complex barleywine that tastes delicious. Excellent beer.

3.2/5  rDev -19.8%

4.06/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Attractive dark amber color with a decent head. Unmistakeable odor of booze. Gaspingly hot with fumes. It's 11.4% ABV according to the handsome painted label.

Flavor is a sensational intensity of sweetness and Bourbon. Actually the sugar is just right with all the alcohol. Burnt sugar and a bitter hoppy finish. Caramel and bonbons with bitter chocolate.

A powerful sip of brown lightning that sends tingles up my spine. From the 22 oz bottle purchased at Bine & Vine on Adams Ave.

3.5/5  rDev -12.3%

4.44/5  rDev +11.3%

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

3.08/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

A: perfectly transparent. Not a hint of any solids/sediment at all. Bright amber with white foam. Doesn't look like a ba barleywine. In my opinion that is.

S: earthy. Slight hint of the bourbon.

T: decent bourbon taste. Not that much barleywine behind it. A little oak gives it a bit of sweetness. Sorta just tastes like weak bourbon.

M: feels like I just took a shot of bourbon. The finish is all booze.

O: comparing this to the average beer, it would be pretty average. Comparing it to average ba barleywines, I think it would get eaten alive. Sorta tastes like a whiskey and diet coke. But not as cold or watered down. Actually this tastes exactly like when you are camping and all you have is warm coke and whiskey so you make do. Maybe it's a bit hot just yet, maybe some time will develop it, but I will not be taking that risk at $16/bottle. Glad I only got one. I've liked coronado's beers before, and I will continue to try them, but this one feels like a first shot at a ba barleywine and I don't think it's there yet.

If anyone wants one they have them in San Leandro at Plaza Bottle Shop.

4.75/5  rDev +19%