Silver Strand Saison - Coronado Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.
good

Coronado Brewing Company visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  5.10% ABV

(Beer added by: sd123 on 12-15-2013)
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

cdog707yo, Jul 14, 2014
3.25/5  rDev -7.1%

SocalKicks, Mar 22, 2014

sd123, Dec 15, 2013
3.44/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Clear light yellow in the Duvel tulip. Pours with a thin mustache of foam, which then subsides to nothing. Some sparkly mouthfeel to start. There is a little malty heft to this, but the body seems to evaporate.

This is a strange but interesting brew. It's hard to call it a Saison, but there is a little yeasty flavor and the tang of Belgian notes. There is a lemony taste that starts to e pleasant, but it evaporates leaving some slightly sweet malt. It makes me think of those wretched "gluten free" concoctions.

Quite drinkable but the dissipating fizziness leaves it less than delightful. One of pleasures of the Farmhouse style is that sudsiness. This seems to be filtered to within an inch of its life. From the jug filled today at the new brewing facility off Morena Blvd.

mactrail, Feb 21, 2014
2.85/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I have usually been fairly critical of Coronado's beers, but if I'm being honest I'd say that most of them are decently true to style.

However...
I had a feeling this beer was going to fall short of my hopes the minute I saw it in the glass.
Clear, and very pale. I'm used to saisons being cloudy and anywhere between shock top and black in color, so I was immediately worried.

The smell of the beer was better than I had expected. I thought maybe they had just filtered a wheat-free saison and it would taste better than it's appearance foretold. Thin on malt, but fair in the saison yeast characteristics, with more than it's fair share of clove.

Then, I put the glass to my lips and poured the liquid into my mouth. At first, it was clove, clove, and nothing but clove. That's not to indicate that the phenolic nature was particularly intense, but that the lack of hop or malt flavor really let the clove through. But then, I was taken aback to my days in elementary school. I remembered when we would have "hotdog days" in the cafeteria, and the large soup-pots full of hot dogs that were boiled until green-around-the-edges. That taste and that smell, were what carried through the majority of the taste of this beer.

Mouthfeel was Bud Lite+1, but really, who cares?

This is not a bad beer, but an bizarre beer. I wasn't expecting this to be a great beer, but I was assuming it would be a decent and unremarkable one. Not once, not never, would I expect a beer to incite long-forgotten memories of boiled, freezer-burned wieners. I don't regret drinking it: I doubt I will soon drink another experience that conjures such a strong reminiscence.

Was this a good beer in the traditional sense? Maybe not. But, it did provide a friend and I an enjoyable conversation about a particular moment from our childhoods and a good couple of laughs. And really, what is one looking for in a beer if not to enjoy a moment?

nebuchadnezzer, Feb 13, 2014