Jurata - Coronado Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.
good

Coronado Brewing Company visit their website

Baltic Porter |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: StoutHunter on 05-19-2014)

3.25/5  rDev -7.7%

3.84/5  rDev +9.1%

I picked up a bottle of Coronado Brewing Company's Jurata a couple weeks ago for $7.99 at The Lager Mill. I had this once at a beer festival last spring, but I don't remember much about it other than that I thought it was solid, so lets see how it goes. 2014 Vintage. Poured from a brown 650ml bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks nice, it goes well with the name, but i don't think it's too eye catching. It poured a nice black color that had just a slight ruby hue around the edges when held to the light with a little over two fingers worth darker tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some rings of patchy and spotty lacing behind. This was a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts of with a higher amount of sweetness with the malts being the first to show up and they impart a nice roasted malt, sweet malt, light caramel and dark chocolate aromas withe the dark chocolate sticking out the most. Up next comes a fruity aroma that might be from the yeast and it imparts a bright and somewhat juice like dark fruit aromas with some nice raisin like aromas coming through. Towards the ends I get a very light alcohol aroma. This beer had a good aroma, I liked that it was true to style.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma, but it's just a little lighter and it starts off with a lower amount of high sweetness with the malts still being the first to show up and they impart the exact same malty aspects that it did in the aroma with the dark chocolate still sticking out the most. Up next comes that same dark fruit aspect that I got in the aroma, but it's much lighter than it was in the aroma with no single dark fruit aspect sticking out the most and the alcohol is just barely noticeable. On the finish there's a medium amount of bitterness with a little more sweetness and dark roasted malted and dark chocolate like aftertaste. This was a pretty nice tasting beer, but I wish the dark fruits showed up just a little more.

M- Smooth, a little creamy, not too crisp, not cloying, on the very light side of being full bodied with a lower amount of medium carbonation. The beer had a pretty nice mouthfeel that was just what I expect from the style.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and a nice and true to style example of a Baltic Porter, it had all the aspects that I look for in the style and as far as I can tell it's a almost a text book example of the style. This beer had nice drinkability it was smooth, a little creamy, not too crisp, not too cloying and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, I think one pint is the perfect amount for me, but I don't think I would have a problem drinking a full bottle, but that would for sure be my limit. What I like the most about this beer was the how true to style it was, it's just what I expect from a good example of the style. What I liked the least about this beer was that the taste wasn't as bold as the aroma and I think the sweetness could be toned down just a little. I would buy this beer again when in the mood for a good Baltic Porter and I would recommend it to anyone who is a fan of the style. Overall i was happy with this beer and it was just what I needed on this cool September night in mid Michigan. So far this is my favorite beer from Coronado and it's one of the better Baltic Porters I've had. This a nice collaboration beer, I'll try anything that cigar city had a hand in brewing. Good job guys, I enjoyed this Baltic Porter, keep up the solid work.

3.5/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Sampling a cellar temp bottle poured into a snifter.
The beer pours a dark cola black color with creamy beige head of1 cm foaming up.
The aroma is malty and roasted malt, very clean with just a little earthy hop note.
The beer is very easy to drink with smooth textured body and very fine carbonation.
The roasted notes dominate and I dont get any of the dark fruit or booze that I normally find in a baltic porter. This is a little bit of a disappointment and I would call this a robust porter not a baltic, just doesnt have any of the darker fruit or other characteristics I would expect or the style.
Not bad beer as a porter, just know what you are getting into.

Jurata from Coronado Brewing Company