German Chocolate Cake - Coronado Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.
good

Coronado Brewing Company visit their website

American Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: kmanjohnson on 07-20-2014)
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

3.7/5  rDev +0.8%

3.83/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Bottled June 2014, poured November 2014

Appearance: Dark brown, definitely not black. But dark enough to block most light, satisfying to the eye. A finger of tan foam. This beer is on for the style.

Aroma: Nice mix of sweetness and roast. You can actually catch some German Chocolate Cake here, moreso than any other part of the beer. Caramelization of the coconut is evident as is some nice chocolate. A relatively big stout aroma is hidden underneath.

Taste: Hits with some astringency first which sticks around through the taste. No coconut until it warms up, and then it's just a hint. The milk stout element is not as pronounced as a roasty Imperial flavor. Bitter chocolate. If I'm going to compare this to cake, I'd say it's the burnt edge piece. Still, it's interesting enough to keep me coming back. No evident off flavors, just the adjuncts bumping into each other rather than melting together like they do in the beer's namesake.

Mouthfeel: A little like carbonated chocolate milk. A bit sticky on the finish.

Overall: I enjoyed this more than I thought I would. There is a bright sweetness throughout, but not a cloying, overpowering sweetness. I could enjoy a glass of this with dessert for sure. Better than the sum of it's parts.

3.75/5  rDev +2.2%

3.75/5  rDev +2.2%

3.63/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

No matter what was in this bottle, I have a ton of love for Bottlecraft. Definitely my favorite store in San Diego.

A: Pours a slightly thin looking dark brown color with a one finger light brown head. OK retention and a bit of lace after each sip.

S: I was expecting an overpoweringly sweet aroma. Not really gonna happen with this one. Faint roasted malt with just an edge of coconut. Dark bread, cocoa powder and a bit of milk chocolate. The sweetness is almost totally missing here, though.

T: Honestly, this is pretty bland. I'm not getting much from the chocolate, the coconut or the lactose. Roasted malt throughout with a slightly velvety edge to it from the lactose. A bit of coconut oil and coconut water, but I'm not getting the German chocolate cake instant diabetes sweetness that I was hoping for. Finish ends with a hint of fresh coconut and a little hint of dark chocolate. I was really stoked for this one, but it just didn't really do it for me. If you're looking for a dessert beer, you should probably look elsewhere.

3.53/5  rDev -3.8%

Thanks to wethorseblanket for sharing this one at Wowcoolman's tasting.

Bottled June 2014.

Pours an opaque black with a foamy khaki head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Small streaks of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of dark roasted malt, cocoa, and slight smoke aromas. Taste is much the same with cocoa and smoke flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of roast bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp and medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer that is quite smoky and doesn't have any real coconut qualities that I can discern.

Serving type: bottle.

3.25/5  rDev -11.4%

3.64/5  rDev -0.8%

3.57/5  rDev -2.7%

10/10/2014 - Coronado Brewing Company - German Chocolate Cake (Bottlecraft 3rd Anniversary) - Poured into a Rip Current Brewing Tulip Glass
A - Completely black with a khaki head that dissipates quickly.
S - Probably the best feature of this beer. Notes of chocolate, alcohol, very pronounced malty notes
T - I was expecting so much more out of this beer. My family is German, I've had some true German Chocolate Cakes, and this one falls short. What I taste is what I smell, chocolate, booze and malt. What I don't taste is coconut. There might be a faint hint on the aftertaste but not enough to call it a German Chocolate.
M - Mouth feel is extremely creamy. Mouth feel is right behind of the smell. Thick, creamy, decadent but drinkable. Low/med carb.
O - Not what I expected at all. It's still pretty decent, but most of the offerings from Coronado end up lacking one way or another. I wouldn't buy again to drink, I could see it being used for baking and it come out amazing. Maybe a german chocolate stout cake/brownies?

3.52/5  rDev -4.1%