Hoppy Daze IPA - Coronado Brewing Company

Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 11-06-2003

Ratings: 218 | Reviews: 83
Reviews by ccrida:
3.18/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Appearance is clear gold with a small white head leaving light lace.

Smell is earthy, hops and esters, a light sweetness, herbal, light alcohol vapors. A little marshmallow vibe to it.

Taste is similar, it's phenolic, the esters are a little fruiter than the nose. Hops are earthy and herbal, modestly bitter. Something about this is not coming together for me.

Mouthfeel is dry yet slippery, fully carbonated.

Drinkability is OK, it's pretty digestible, and the taste isn't overbearing, but I'm not loving it and wouldn't re-buy.

3.95/5  rDev +4.5%

22 oz bottle. Pours hazy golden yellow with a big rocky white head that retains well and leaves some lacing.

The aroma is sweet tropical fruit with some earthy funk.

The flavor is sweet bready malts, some fruit and some funk with a decent peppery bitterness in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with slightly sharp carbonation.

Overall, a nice Belgian IPA. Heavy on the fruity hops with Belgian funk to complement.

4.2/5  rDev +11.1%

Thanks to kaiser81 for this bottle.

Pours hazy golden with a large white head. The initial aroma is very hoppy, with both grassy and citrusy orange hops. The flavor is Belgian yeast and grassy as well as some fruit flavors, with citrus as well as a little banana. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

3.7/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Tap. Good copper pour with a solid white head. Aroma is hops and pine. Good amount of hops up front with some resin, with a bit of malt in the back. Sticky mouthfeel with a clean finish. A great IPA, but only an above-average Imperial.
___
Bottle, 4/08. Pours clear gold with a huge white head. Strong yeasty aroma with a lot of banana and clove. It nearly drowns out the floral hops. Taste is the same. Bubblegum and clove abound, then the grassy, pine hops come in at the end. The closest thing to this is the Urthel Triple Hop IPA. This one is sweeter, but I don't know which is better.

2.36/5  rDev -37.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Bottle

Holiday Wine Cellar
Escondido, CA

(I don't typically review the same beer twice; I only do so when my experiences between serving types are vastly different. My experience was much better on tap compared to my bottle of this beer.)

A very dark amber. This beer is nearly brown--and there's so much sediment in the beer that it almost looks like an auburn brown sludge in my glass. Huge chunks of sediment swirl throughout the beer and it looks thick, murky, and heavy. Huge, thick head and lots of lacing, sure, but this beer looks quite unappealing. A completely different experience than my on tap one!

Particularly tangy and spicy yeast character in the nose--far more than I remember in the on tap version. It's so overpowering I can hardly keep my nose on the beer to try and pick out more. That's not to say this beer smells bad, but it's certainly a completely different animal than the version I had previously. There's some citrus elements but the tangy, spicy yeast is all that's easily accessible.

Citrus hops and Belgian yeast character are here, but there's also something unpleasant. This beer is unappealing, and I was looking forward to this bottle all day! I wanted to enjoy this beer, but this I don't enjoy. There's a dish soap and an unappealing tang that has me smacking my lips after each sip wishing it would go away.

Too thick in the mouth, yet acceptable.

I'm not going to finish this beer. I didn't enjoy it at all, and not liking this beer shocked me! I had this on tap and it instantly became my favorite American Belgian IPA. This bottle, however--not good.

A bad bottle, maybe?

4.5/5  rDev +19%

Mad Mex featuring Hoppy Daze IPA on tap right now intense array of citrus hops brings out Beligan spices as well. The moderate carbonation and the smooth drinking body goes hand and hand, one of those beers that drain themselves than you find at that Mad Mex is charging nine bucks a glass for this masterpiece. An excellent product but so limited that Mad Mex is selling it for a set price of nine dollars a pour but it only charges 4.50 during happy hora M-F that's why they can get away with the inflated pricing. Even the Brown ale from Coronado was nine bucks fuck Wilson Mcginnley and Fuck Mad Mex for 9 dollar pints. This beer was excellent too bad I couldn't drink another serving without spending 18 dollars did I mention they want to serve this in 12 ounce pours. Citrus, floral, and earthy hops stand tall against the barrage of West Coast hops but the alcohol is well hidden and the malts are plentiful enough to create some balance. Drinkability overall is quality but the price leaves this one on the experimental backburner.

3.11/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

On tap at the Orange Street brewpub location.
IBU = 74 but seems a little lower.

Pours light amber with a good, durable head that leaves plenty of sticky lacing.

Aroma: hops with mildly funky yeast

Taste: very floral hop flavor with some herbal aspects. Hint of baked bread.
Medium bitterness.

Feel: medium body; smooth.

O: OK

3.68/5  rDev -2.6%

22oz bottle, 7.5% ABV, cool to see yet another offering from this SoCal brewery available somewhat broadly in Alberta. Sexier screened label than what I see above here now.

This beer pours a clear, glassy medium golden yellow colour, with three fingers of puffy, bubbly, creamy meringue white head, which leaves a random assortment of dainty chain-link fence and chunky blob lace around the glass as it unevenly melts away.

It smells of tart musty apple and pear, a bit of funky yeast, citrus and pine hops, grainy pale malt, lemon-scented cleanser, and further perfumed florals. The taste is bready, grainy cereal malt, more overripe, almost rotten drupe fruit, bitter citrus rind, musty tropical fruit, mildly acerbic pine needles, earthy green yeast, a bit of clove/pepper spiciness, and more booze-infused floral notes.

The bubbles are low-key, frothy at times, and just plain supportive, the body a more-or-less adequate medium weight, and duly smooth, as the hops here don't seem to stray out that far, so good, I guess. It finishes off-dry, the hetero-orchard fruitiness (citrus and apples, mostly) having a go at permanence, while the yeast, bitter hops, and alcohol each seem worthy to stage a coup, but can't really just get it together.

All the hallmarks of the style are here, to be sure - Belgian-style pale ale, on the high end of the alcohol range, and perky, bitter west-coast Yankee hops. Decent, but without flair, my skirt remaining barely ruffled. Sometimes the whole is not better than the sum of the parts, I would say if I was being unduly pissy. Which I am. Sorry.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Initial taste is creamcycle orange. The hop taste remains there but it is an aged taste. Light orange body and a great long lasting head. I just received this bottle from Lueken's Liquors. There may have been some time since brewed, which should not be critical for a Belgian IPA. Good drinkability though not the best I have had in the style .Above average mouthfeel.

3.89/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into my Bruery tulip.

Orange peel body which glows a bright amber when held to a light. Soft ivory head recedes fairly quickly as it is quite active. Appears more like an American IPA rather than a Belgian IPA.

Potent aromatics - suffused with melons, grapefruit, pine, passion fruit, and tangerine. Again, more "American" in approach, but quite fresh and invigorating.

Fruity palate entry, moderately bitter, with peppery phenolics in the relativlely dry finish. Unique flavor profile, full of subtle tropical fruit, rye crackers, and hooka tobacco notes.

A little thin for a Belgian style, lacking effervescence (the quantity of carbonation is fine, though the quality is off). ABV is well integrated.

Despite using Belgian yeast, beyond some aspects of the flavor, this is a domestic style through and through. Still, Coronado knows what to do with hops - so this is worth seeking out.

3.95/5  rDev +4.5%

on tap, Chucks, 16oz mason jar

Always been a fan of the Belgian IPA substyle - Coronado's version is a nice textbook version - citrus hops, honey, yeast, flowers, a little alcohol bite. Paired nicely with a catfish poboy covered in hot sauce. A nice beer - lots of hops, yeast, clove and spice.

3.93/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A good IPA from coronado. it is a little different, in that it is not a "crisp" ipa, it is a little smokey. this coming off of drinking pliny the younger during beer week in san francisco on february 14, 2013.

A - Golden orange color. Light head, not lacing

S - a little smokey aroma, which also translates into the flavor

T - smokey IPA flavor. not malty, just smokey. i imagine this would be a good campfire IPA.

M - mouthfeel is IPA, hoppy, bitter, but the smokeyness lingers. In a good way.

O - overall, I enjoyed this IPA. given the competition for IPAs today, I would be hardpressed to say i would order another but it was good to try, and if the mood strikes me, I would have another.

4.29/5  rDev +13.5%

Split a bottle at Tap and Table in Emmaus, PA. Poured into a tulip, the beer was a hazy yellow with a sticky white head. The aroma was a big nose full of of sweet piney resin with a mild earthy note. I'm really impressed by how clear and rich the smell is, damn. The flavor diverges surprisingly, with a much grassier, citrus rind flavor - likely the Belgian element kicking in. Like most really good beers, it could still be more complex, but this is a beer worth seeking out. Thanks to Plunkett for introducing me to this fine beer.

3.51/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - clear golden with a tonne of carbonation rising from the bottom, tower of head didn't budge
S - some estery clove and banana aromas mix with floral and grassy hops along with a sprig of mint
T - the estery flavour makes a brief appearance but is quickly gone, some grass and grains, touch of florals, but finishes with a bit of a musty flavour
M - light with strong carbonation, slightly prickly, finishes a little dry and musty
O - its not a bad brew but not a great example of the style, neither belgian yeasty or the hoppy aspects take center stage, the result is a little strange but still relatively tasty and drinkable

3.8/5  rDev +0.5%

On tap at the brewery! Taken from notes.

Appearance – A nice golden color with about a finger of head when given to me by the waitress. The head sticks around for a while and leaves nice lacing.

Smell – The Belgian yeast and bready malts are at the forefront, but there is also a nice citrus hop bite, along with slight pine. Some spices are present at the end.

Taste – Similar to the nose, though the citrus flavors are more noticeable. Orange, grapefruit, and a hint of lemon. Then the Belgian yeast and flavors start to kick in. I am not a huge fan of this style but this one was not overpowering and relatively pleasant.

Mouthfeel – Medium bodied, decent carbonation.

Overall – A good beer to have with a Ruben, but not one I’d have again to be honest.

3.43/5  rDev -9.3%

Pours dark amber with a large, white head.
Very Belgian aroma, very phenolic with some spicy, herbal and grassy hops too alongside a little light malt.
Similar flavours; spicy and herbal hops, spicy Belgian notes, and a very dry finish.
Too much carbonation.

4.05/5  rDev +7.1%

One of nine brews offered on-tap at Coronado Brewing Co. Being a sucker for IPA's and being short on time, this was my beer of choice.
Presented in a standard pint glass, Hoppy Daze had a clear amber hue, lively fine carbonation, and a dense 1" off-white head that showed good durability and left nice sheets of lace behind.
Sticking my nose right down into the foam, I got a nice snoot-ful of citrusy hops aroma, spruce pine, and, on a lower magnitude, some toasty malts. Nice IPA smell.
The feel was a bit rough-edged but nothing all that detracting. My palate was greeted by the flavors of caramel and toasted malts. Some hints of nuts, also. Then came the hops. Not the hugely massive hops explosion of some West Coast IPA's but still a satisfying mix of citrus rinds and juicy, sticky pine.
Overall, quite tasty and quaffable. Like I said, not the hops bomb West Coast IPA but still one that has a good convergence of characters. Worth trying out.

4.43/5  rDev +17.2%

Served in a chalice.

A: ONE BEAUTIFUL ALE. From the tap it produced a small off-white head that was fairly diminishing. I would have liked to have seen a bigger head, but I suspect that if I had poured it, I would have. The body was a warm golden orange and heavily hazy and maybe even a bit cloudy. A little yeast sediment found it's way to the bottom, which I like as a visual reminder of exactly what it is that you are drinking. It was nearly perfection in a glass. Can only go down from here...

S & T: ...but it didn't!!! The aroma was wonderful. Moderately grainy malts, bit of cookie and hay. The hops were heavy but not overpowering and very fragrant. Perfumey and citrusy, orange and lemony rind characteristics. The yeast was also very present: sweaty, musty & dank. Very noticeable fruit qualities. I was more confident in picking up the grape, peach and raisin notes than I was in the raspberry or cranberry. So well balanced and well rounded. Very nice flavor duration, moderately sweet, moderately acidic & moderately bitter. Absolutely delicious.

M: Medium body, pleasantly creamy and perfectly carbonated.

D: I could drink this all day. I did dock a 1/2 point for not quite fulfilling my hop craving. But that is quickly overlooked by my excitement for this style of beer. I love Belgian IPAs!!!

4.5/5  rDev +19%

I acquired this one from Mr. Joey at South bay. Being a lover of the IPA as I am, I apparently could not let this one slip by, and I am very glad that he did not let me. I grabbed this one out of the fridge last night and proceeded to serve it into the Mock Turtle at a slightly warmer then the fridge temperature.

Appearance - The our was very nice with a delicate light amber color coming through immediately. Very nice bit of cloudiness to it was not enough to obscure the carbonation which was bubbling up from the bottom of the glass. A very nice head of white foam, perhaps two fingers in height was then allowed to form up over the top and proceeded to settle down gently but not before depositing copious amounts of side glass lace and leaving behind a nice soft pillow in its wake.

Smell - The aroma was full of hops as one would expect. At first I really did not pick up much in the way of the Belgian yeast, but that would come later as it warmed. Lots of pineapple and grapefruit aromas just rippling though out this one, very bright indeed. As it warmed some notes of light yeast and wheat were starting to come though along with a touch of peach of light green apple.

Taste - This carried over very well into the flavor which was very nicely. It started out as a nice, and classic west coast DIPA. Quick rips through the mouth of strong and bitter grapefruit notes and a really nice touch of pineapple as well. Very nice light floral presence, but as it warmed it started to get taken over by the yeast. Hints of pears and peaches start coming thorough and the grain flavor that made up the back started to shine. Very nice balance between the too. Some light sugary notes before the finish turned back over to the dry and bitter influence of the west coast hops.

Mouthfeel - Very nice, and light body on this one. Definitely a little bit lighter then ,most of your classic DIPA. Great carbonation really let it pop and gave you a great sense of crispness, especially when it was still well chilled.

Drinkability - The 9% abv was very well hidden, in fact I really did not believe it was as strong as it came across. Very nice balanced and a light profile, I could have sipped on this one for days, really well done.

Overall I thought this was an excellent Belgian IPA. Really well done and a differenced take on one of my favorite styles. I am glad I got a few of these as I believe they will hold up very well over time and really make a fine addition to my regular lineup. Definitely a top notch beer in my opinion.

3.71/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance- golden color, thin head, nice lacing

Smell- malt, citrus hops(grapefruit)

Taste- citrus hops mostly, some malt

Mouthfeel- medium bodied

Drinkability- I thought it was pretty good. I would drink it again. It's not one of my standard ones but still pretty good.

3.38/5  rDev -10.6%

On tap at Small Bar

A - Very clear with an amber color and off white head of about a finger and a half.

S - Lots of dry hopping coming thru. A hint of yeast comes thru too. Grassy hops here not sweet hops.

T - Starts with the grassy hops then comes thru with the bitterness and ends up with more of the grassy hops. Little presence of yeast - and it was called a belgian ipa on the board.

M - Robust and full for an ipa, but in a good way.

O - Interesting beer but somewhat unbalanced. Tastes more like a muddied IPA than a true Belgian IPA with the yeast character very much subdued.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On-tap at Thirsty Monk, Asheville, NC

A: The beer is very clear yellow in color with some hues of amber. It poured with a thin white head that died down, leaving a patch of bubbles in the center of the glass and a collar around the edge.
S: Moderate aromas of Belgian yeast and citrusy hops are present in the nose.
T: The taste very much follows the smell and has a light to moderate amount of bitterness. The Belgian yeast flavors linger through the finish.
M: It feels medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: I found this to be an easy-to-drink Belgian IPA because it wasn't too bitter or dominated by yeasty flavors.

look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass from a fresh bottle.

Appearance: Light amber to gold in color with a solid white head that dwindled down to a thin film of bottles a little too quickly.

Smell: Very good aroma with citrus, flower, and a hint of pine. The citrus has a varied bouquet of tangerine, orange, and a hint of cherry. The citrus is well balanced with a fantastic floral aroma and there is a slight finish of pine.

Taste: Very well balanced in an IPA sense. Hops give flavors of tangerine, grapefruit, floral and pine that is perfectly backed up, but not overshadowed by a sweet, malt taste. One issue was that the floral taste seemed to build upon the palate with each sip which began to wash out the other flavors slightly. That is my only complaint upon an overall excellent taste profile.

Mouthfeel: Good overall texture with with light but adequate carbonation and a medium heft to it.

Overall: This beer has some excellent qualities with some minor drawbacks but overall, I must say that I did thoroughly enjoy this beer.

4.34/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On draft at The Lark, East Northport, NY.

Poured a clear brassy hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was good retention and lacing.

The smell featured clean esters, candy sugar and a potent herbal hop.

The taste consisted of a clean herbal hop, fresh grainy malt and lingering ester.

The mouthfeel was remarkably clean for the style.

Overall a very tasty and user friendly IPA.

3.5/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Bomber bottle at Randy's Taproom in Solvang, CA.

I had this after a day of wine tasting and another wind-down beer, so my judgment of the taste might be flawed.

This beer appeared light-colored with a white long-lasting head (the lighting was bad so color and clarity were hard to judge well). The aroma was great hops and malt. The flavor was a good IPA but standard IPA - I didn't really detect much of what I would consider "Belgianness" to it. The mouth feel was smooth and slightly coating and the taste was long lasting. Looking at the style guidelines, I think what was missing was the difference in finish.

I would gladly drink this beer again to see what I might have missed on this first taste, but doubt I will be seeing it around home.

Hoppy Daze IPA from Coronado Brewing Company