Mermaid's Red Ale - Coronado Brewing Company

Coronado Brewing Company visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.70% ABV

Beer added by: xlperro on 11-15-2003

3.83/5  rDev +7.3%

I thoroughly enjoyed this beer, especially considering I am not a big fan of red ales. This, Fixed Gear by Lakefront in Milwaukee, and Fat Tire are about the only reds I care for, but this one is the best out of the three in my opinion. If I saw this at a bar, I would definitely pick it up as a change of pace to my normal IPA, hefeweizen, and porter preference.

4.5/5  rDev +26.1%

3.75/5  rDev +5%

3.38/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Got most of what I like in a red ale, with a little extra bitterness and hoppy touch.

A- Nice red-amber color, head retention is not the best.

S- kinda unique smell, not as hoppy as I would have thought it would smell, the though some malt aromas are up in front.

T- pretty well balanced, though slightly towards the bitter side (which I like) and a great hoppiness that actually puts this thing closer to an IPA than a Red. I think it would have been completely flat if it were not for the bitter hoppiness.
There are a bit of cocoa/caramel/smokey notes coming through, but you really have to be paying attention to get it, if not, it still tastes good.

M- I liked drinking this beer, it had a smooth mouthfeel, which coated for just long enough to remember what I had just swallowed, and the carbonation was on, so it had that great little pop-rocks effect for a second, which works out well with this beer.

Overall- I would buy this beer again, it is one of a very few reds that I actually care for, probably because it's was not a slave to tradition. And it kinda reminds me of my homebrew.

3.88/5  rDev +8.7%

Pint On Tap at Bills Pizza Palm Springs CA for 2$ during happy hour

Appearance - Slightly hazy amber/copper colour with a large size fizzy/frothy beige head. There is an average amount of carbonation showing and there is some good lacing. The head lasted for over 5 minutes.

Smell - Malts, caramel, hops

Taste & Mouth - There is an average amount of carbonation and I can taste malts, caramel, grapefruit, and hops. There is also a touch of dark fruits. It ends with a sweet hoppy aftertaste,

Overall - Really surprised by this one. It was pretty hoppy and the flavours were really vibrant. I could taste quality ingredients and I was finished my glass before I knew it. Based on the reviews - perhaps this beer is better on tap. It really tasted a lot like Stone's Levitation.

3.75/5  rDev +5%

Poured on-tap at Taco Asylum in Costa Mesa, CA. Reviewed from notes.

A- Two finger thick creamy head. Dark auburn color. Sticky, foamy lacing.

S- Medium bodied malts and deep smoky tones.

T- Opens creamy and fresh, closes hoppy and bitter.

M-Creamy and heavy feel. Lots of carbonation.

O- Nice beer. Happy with it.

3.25/5  rDev -9%

2.83/5  rDev -20.7%

Had on tap at the Fish Market in San Diego.

A: Pours a medium red amber with a medium off-white head, minimal lacing.

S: Nothing overpowering here. Some malt and sweetness from the caramel.

T: Very malts, but felt like this one was missing something, The malts lacked more sweetness or hops to back them up. Almost felt a skunky taste coming from this.

M: Medium-bodied, fairly smooth, has a creaminess to it, medium carbonation.

O: Was very underwhelmed with this. Tried many great beers on my trip to San Diego, this was not one of them though.

3.41/5  rDev -4.5%

Had on tap at Yard House in San Diego.

Beer pours a nice, rich ruby color with about a finger and half or so of white, foamy head. The head lingers throughout.

The beer smells a bit like raisins.

The beer tastes initially very sweet of raisins and figs, followed by a good amount of a hoppy finish.

Slightly thin mouthfeel.

Overall a solid red ale.

3.61/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

glass: nonic

Ruby, brown appearance with a thin bubbly head. Hints of cocoa, lavender, grape, date on the nose. The taste is, light floral hops, brown sugar, cocoa, date, grape, plastic. Finishes with a decent bitterness. Body is light-medium with medium carbonation. Very drinkable. Decent red but tastes too much like an ESB.

3.58/5  rDev +0.3%

Glass - Nonic

A - Cloudy amber colored brew with a sticky looking 2-finger head. Head retention seems to be very good, and I got some nice lacing on my glass.

S - It smells very ESB like to me. Upfront I get lots of fig, plum, and raisin. I also pick up a bit of floral and lemon citrus hop characteristics. Toffee, caramel and brown sugar qualities underneath.

T - Hmm, tastes a little like an ESB as well. I get lots of plum and fig upfront. Rind like hop flavors quickly follow, and it finishes very dry with more plum and lots of brown sugar. Bitterness is moderate for a Red Ale and it lingers a bit.

M - Medium-full bodied with a smooth and chewy feel. Lite-moderate crispness. I actually like the feel of this beer.

O - Well I like the beer but I think it's a little too sweet for me, and it also comes off like an ESB more than a Red Ale. I also didn't like the finishing flavors of the beer too much, it's kind of mineral like to me and un balanced. I'll pass on this one next time, but it's worth a try I'd say.

Mermaid's Red Ale from Coronado Brewing Company