Idiot IPA - Coronado Brewing Company

Coronado Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: scottoale on 05-09-2007

Reviews: 368 | Hads: 1,349
2.11/5  rDev -46.4%

Pours a clear, dark orange color with a thin head and lasting lace. The aroma is fruity, mainly grapefruit with a hint of dough. The flavor is grapefruit and has doughy and orange notes. The mouthfeel is medium. Coronado Idiot IPA is a decent beer, not a hop bomb like some in the style, much more drinkable. A great way to take the heat off from a chile beer. Recommended. (373 characters)

2.2/5  rDev -44.2%

Poured into pint. Thanks to John for sending me this one...

A darker color than I like-- an orangey copper color. Small whitish-tan head is gone quickly. Virtually no lacing left behind-- sure, some clumps cling to the glass, but they return to the body with the legs. Five sips in, there is almost nothing left in terms of bubbles.

Smells sweet and malty. A little dirty and earthy and piney. It seems like there was a little tropical fruit and citrusy grapefruit... But those seems stale and faded.
The flavor fairs slightly better than the smell, but only slightly. Sweet mess of malts up front with earth and pine. Decent bitterness-- just wish this had the flavor to support it.

A bit undercarbonated and oily on the feel.

This isn't awful, but it isn't really good either. I hope this is just a bad or old bottle (of course without bottle dates, it's hard to tell!). I'd be happy to edit this review after trying the beer again.
For me and my money, this beer misses the mark in a big way. I'm pouring out the rest. (1,026 characters)

2.25/5  rDev -42.9%

Had on tap and poured into a snifter.

A: Pours a nice golden orange color. There is a snall tan foam head with sufficient lacing.

S: There are a ton of hops. Floral and citrus hops dominate but there is a vague underlying malt character. Mostly a bready malt.

T: There is some floral hop character throughout. Not as overpowering as expected. Not much malt back bone to this either.

M: Leaves a bitter biting taste on the palate.

D: This is a good DIPA and many hop heads will enjoy it. I love hops, but did not 'love' this beer. It is definitely worth a shot but I would not seek out again. (598 characters)

2.29/5  rDev -41.9%

Bottle received in a trade from jgap.. thx meng!

- Big fluffy white head... lacing all over, down to a steady half-finger... clear dark caramel brew.. looks well carbonated.

- Smell is a bit off on this bottle.. diacetyl.. bit buttery.. some spicy zesty hops still exist.. bitterness present.. caramel sweet malts... but the diacetyl is overpowering.. perhaps an older bottle. no freshness dating.

- I'm going to crack the other bottle in hopes that it isn't as struck w/ diacetyl.. because this one is..

... this second one is a touch better, but is still rather loaded with diacetyl.. more citrus notes are there, and caramel... fruity, zesty.. but still tastes like a shot of movie popcorn butter was shot into my glass..

- Medium bodied, slightly syrupy.. sticky... overall nat bad, well carbonated.

- I am guessing with the flavors that are left... that this is a killer beer. The hint of citrus and hops from the second bottle let's me know that this beer is a great one. Coronado is. But the shop that sold these two bottles failed at rotating them, or getting rid of old stock... or just not handling them well... because I had to unfortunately drain pour both bombers. I hope to get some fresh ones again soon. Perhaps I will edit my review on this in the future. (1,281 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -37.1%

The colour is gold (9 EBC), the liquid is clear. The two finger head slowly sinks down leaving no lacing on the glass.

The smell is bitter with some harsh notes, hints of metal and resin. Pine wood, some citric fruits, metal, earthy notes and a dusty sweetness.

The taste is smooth with some exotic fruits and lemon-lime. Some bitterness, but the strength is more APA than DIPA. Semi-sweet notes of cookies, resin and honey. Light body. The aftertaste is dusty with some exotic fruits and metallic bitterness in the background. Rye bread and fruit candy in the finish.

The carbonation is medium strong, the small bubbles short lived. The liquid is quite light.

An empty DIPA. (680 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -36.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Right down the middle across the board. Pretty disappointed given the price I paid for a bomber. Not very hoppy at all for a DIPA, and just heavy in general. Wouldn't buy again. Not bad, but certainly not good either... (219 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -31.5%

This is my first review. Went to the British Beer Company. Asked for this and they asked if I wanted a sample. I said no, I've never had a bad IPA (kind of like Pizza, it has to be really bad not to like it.) I can say I've has many IPA's and did a x-country road trip so has some local ones. Anyway, to me this was almost undrinkable. It tasted more like whiskey, than beer. And I don't like whiskey. Anyway, I'm probably not what you'd call a connoisseur (I like Dale's Pale Ale and Long Trail IPA). Is there a reason it tasted "bitter"? (to use another reviewer's term). (573 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -31%

A: Pours copper, impressive cream colored head.

S: Herbal hops, seems a bit fadey. Malty, grainy, sugar...boring.

T: Sweet malt base accented with grassy, piney hops. Lots of generic bitterness, not much fruit zing. Sugary, east coasty, fully played out. The store clerk said this "just hit the shelves last week", I actually hope thats not true.

M: Thick, chewy..medium carb.

O: I got excited when I saw this at the liquor store...oops. I think I payed a premium too. I guess I'm the "idiot"? (498 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -30.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Not a bad example of a DIPA, but not amazing either. Look was good, flavor was pretty good, but seemed a bit harsher than most IPA's and DIPA's. Not flavor wise, but in a 'gave me heartburn' sort of a way. Not sure if it was something in the brew or an off batch. Mouth feel was a bit more carbonated than I like as well. Very foamy and soapy.

I will not search this one out and purchase again, but would consider drinking again if available. Unless the heartburn feeling comes back and then I would turn it away completely. (526 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -28.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Appearance: Pores a Dark golden color with a decent white head to it.

Smell: A slight hoppy, citrus aroma dominated by a malty, bready smell to it.

Taste: Malt forward with a very slight bitterness to it from the hops. No real bite to it, just malts with a malty finish.

Mouthfeel: Very flat, no real substance to the feel, no stickiness, nothing lol.

Overall: Not much can be said about this other than it tasted extremely malty with nothing to balance it out. It looked decent, but it failed to deliver. Maybe it was a bad, old bottle with the hop profile diminished into nothing but malts, but it was bland enough to make me not want to revisit it. (658 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -27.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

From an undated bottle into my snifter, at fridge temperature.
A - Light orange with very fine, tight bubbles, and about half a finger of head that stays without leaving much of a lacing. Acceptable if not impressive.
S - Caramel malt with some piney, earthy hops. Not impressive.
T - Much like the smell, caramel malt with some piney, earthy hops. There is some initial sweetness before the hops come into play, and then, the bittering earthy hops take over, with some notes of grass and mint on the finish. This tastes much like a toned-down, year-old SN Bigfoot, which means this stuff has sat on the shelves for quite a while. Without the date, it is impossible to tell how old this really is.
M - about the only high point of an otherwise, forgettable beer. Medium, creamy mouthfeel, but does nothing to save the beer.
O - A very pedestrian and mediocre double IPA if it can even be called that. Clearly this is not a fresh bottle, and I have no misgivings about rating this beer as is, since the brewery clearly does not believe in helping its customers make an informed selection, by not putting a date on the bottle. A note to Coronado brewing - please put a date on the bottle or get the f*** out of this business. There are too many good breweries out there that could use the shelf space at the beer store. After the disappointment that was the Coronado Mermaid's Ale (another undated bottle), and this, I am done with this brewery. (1,443 characters)

2.89/5  rDev -26.6%

Interested in trying this one...

Poured out with a nice cream colored head. Amber colored. Lots of hoppy malt sweetness on the nose. Herbal, grapefruit, carmel aroma.

Taste is underwhelming. More carmel sweetness and moderate bitterness. Candied apricot and grapefruit. Low for a DIPA. It said it was new on the shelf but I'm thinking otherwise. This tastes like an aged east coast DIPA. (389 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

A: copper, nice initial head but then went flat quick.
S: initial tangelo peel then couldn't get it again. Cataloupe. Asian pear. Hops dominant.
T: avg, just about hops w/ no balance. Burnt brown sugar & bitterness.
M: heavy, long finish, bitter.
O: not for me. Reminds me of dozens of other forgettable beers. 12oz bottle, 4oz tasting pour, 8oz down the drain. Next. (367 characters)

Very nice golden haze rendering the appearance nearly perfect. Strong pungent sour-ish grapefruit smell with a sticky dry mouth feel. Definitely some bitterness that hangs around but something in the balance of the ingredients is slightly off with a lingering sour aftertaste that doesn't suit my preference. Not the harmonious hop - citrus explosion that I've come to expect from the elite DIPAs. I've had the Coronado 18th Anniversary Imperial IPA on tap and it is better than the idiot. But seriously, anything named an idiot has to be tried....and it's a serviceable choice. (585 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -22.3%

Pours 1 finger of creamy beige head. Good retention. Leaves very nice lace walls. Color is a hazed golden copper. I got some floaties in my glass.

Aroma: I has a decent amount of caramel and bready malts. Has some bittering floral hops. Some pineapple and grassy hops.

Taste: A bit malty, but it has the hop bite. Floral and grassy hops. Some pineapple again with a bit of sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and bitter. Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends sticky and dry.

Overall, this one was a bit too malty for me. It was alright, but not something I want a lot of. (587 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -21.8%

From a bomber, no freshness date, 8.5% ABV stated on the bottle.

A- Pours a hazy dark orange into my pint glass. Off white foam at the top.

S- Pretty sweet with malt. I'm guessing this isn't the freshest bottle ever, but by the taste I can tell it's not super old or anything.

T- Floral, a rush of sweetness in the middle that is accompanied by some floral hops. Sticky pine aftertaste and a lingering twang of citrus. Lots of malt in this and the hops just kinda feel old. There's no real zest to them.

M- Medium. Definitely a double IPA sorta mouthfeel, slick but not the worst I've ever had (I don't like a big syrupy mouthfeel in double iPA's)

D- Not my favorite type of taste for an ipa/dipa. This has a similar flavor profile to Great Divide's Hercules DIPA which isn't a favorite of mine. (800 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -21.8%

Looks - Nice looking DIPA, a slightly hazy orange/copper color with a nice fluffy white head with lots of lacing

Smell- Decent smell of floral hops and sweet malts

Taste- Bitter hop bite followed by overly sweet malt. I personally didn't think there was much balance to this one but two extremes. Did very little for me, not my style.

Feel- Medium bodied and medium carbonated. Pretty good body.

Overall- Not crazy about the results at this price point. Too many better options to drink again. (497 characters)

3.09/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A - Very light amber color, and super pale head that left a bit of nice lacing
S - You can smell the malt but it is mostly hoppy pine smell
T - Very bitter taste that lingers a LONG time, which I like and is really the only redeeming factor to this beer for me
M - OK mouth feel but nothing extraordinary, a little creamy, well carbonated,
O - This beer is really the most average beer I've had, very little about this beer will stay with me (truly forgettable), not to say it was bad, just a very simple bitter IPA (516 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -19.8%

Bottle. Pours a darker reddish color with a slightly off white tan head. Reminds me of a red ale in the appearance to be honest. Malty, Biscuity, and buttery in the aroma. Very little hop presence, where are they?! The hops that are present are that of pineapple and citrus. Medium mouthfeel. Alcohol shows as it warms in my mouth. Sweet up front flavors that transitions to a rind flavor bitter. The bitterness and booze showing is not the most appealing. (456 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Served in tulip. Poured a lightly cloudy yellow gold color with about 1/2 inch of white head that had good retention and light-to-moderate lacing.

The aroma was mostly pine hops, with a bit of citrus in the background and a barely noticeable malt presence. The beer was identical on the tongue, except for an annoyingly strong alcohol bite.

The body was decent, a bit on the full side of average, and had a sharp alcohol burn at the finish. Drinkability was hurt by the alcohol sharpness, I couldn't see drinking two in a row. Overall, a decent, but not notable brew. Maybe try one if you see it, but don't go out of your way to get one. (639 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -18.5%

On tap at SAVOR 2011. Served in a SAVOR goblet.

Pours a clear peach color with an average white head and some spotty lacing on the way down. The nose carries a bit of grain along with a fairly-pronounced citrus character. There's also a bit of booze in the background. The flavor has too much grain, but does bring a decent amount of citrus. The body is medium with a bitter, dry finish. Still, too much booze. Okay, but needs to mellow it on the alcohol factor. (463 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Draft in a SoCal restaurant in imperial pint glass. Very ordinary ipa with little to no complexity. Piney, almost acrid. Can't detect anything tropical as other tasters. (169 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a cloudy amber color. The head is a little over one finger high, faintly off-white in shade, and thickly textured. Retention is solid enough. Streaks of lacing are left on the glass, also.

S: The prominent note is grapefruity hops, followed closely by sweet caramel-y malts. It's also quite herbaceous and piny, with a slight touch of fruity esters coming to play as well. Definitely an old school aroma, but not a horrible one - I just wished it came off a bit drier.

T: Initially, the grapefruit flavors come across nicely, with only a subtle bitterness. Sweet malts override and balance the hop notes on the back end. Faint fruit esters float around the body in spurts - honestly, this is my favorite part of the flavor profile. The sweetness seems to have a bit more definition than other DIPAs, too. While it's not exactly what I want from a DIPA, this carves it's own niche decently enough.

M: Full and creamy. I'm reminded of DFH's 90 Minute in this regard - while it's quite sweet, the big body and soft texture carries it to the palate well. Carbonation is gentle. Despite its relative bigness, it's actually pretty easy to drink considering.

O: This isn't particularly successful as a pure DIPA. BUT, it's soft, well balanced, and relatively drinkable. Worth drinking again - it just doesn't satiate my DIPA thirst entirely. (1,380 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Enjoyed on 5/5/11. Reviewed from notes:

A: Clear golden with half finger of head that dissipates quickly

S: Grapefruit aromas are most prominent on the nose.

T: Some strong grapefruit w/ a caramel/biscuit malt background. Flavors that are good but something isn't quite up to the DIPA level for me

M: Really nice level of carbonation. Has a nice astringency. Doesn't coat my teeth like DIPAs can.

O: Was it enjoyable? Absolutely. Was it an outstanding DIPA? Not particularly. It lacked some things I've come to enjoy in my DIPAs (534 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -16%

22 oz. bottle poured into a mug.

Appearance: Pours a slightly hazy orange-copper color. Big rocky slightly off-white head has good retention and leaves a good amount of lacing.

Smell: Light aroma with some pine and hop spice, but also a bit of malt sweetness.

Taste: Strong sweet citrus flavor starting off with some pine sap coming in quickly. Similar taste throughout. The lingering aftertaste is mostly bitter, with some sweeter undertones.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, but I suppose on the lighter side of that area of the spectrum. Smooth, and actually a hint syrupy (I think partially an illusion with the taste). Minimal carbonation.

Drinkability: Stronger ABV, but not detectable in the taste. The flavor lingering aftertaste is an issue.

I was excited to try this, but overall I was pretty disappointed. The flavor seems very skewed, and isn't so great. (865 characters)

Idiot IPA from Coronado Brewing Company