Idiot IPA - Coronado Brewing Company

Beer added by: scottoale on 05-09-2007

Reviews: 368 | Hads: 1,346
3.78/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bright amber golden color with a thick head with good retention and leaving laces.
Sweet malty aroma with notes of honey, peaches, tangerines and pine. I was expecting something stronger.
Though flavor is much bolder than nose. Its hops made me sneeze immediately, so worth it the 90 IBUs. Notes of pine cones, honey, toasted malts, American yeast and spices. Hints of grapefruit and tea leaves. All four C's didn't reveal their faces entirely. Dry aftertaste with an endless bitter bite.
Medium to full body with mild carbonation. Somewhat creamy. Alcohol of 8.5% is behind the curtains.
Good DIPA with its own mark, but more assertive and bitter than complex. (661 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -4.8%

Golden orange in color with a frothy two finger head of foam, very nice color.

Floral, pine, citrus, earthy, and resinous.

The flavor doesn't stand up quite as much as the aroma of this brew, but still tempting. Caramel malt backbone, citrus, pine, and of course hop resins.

Light-medium bodied, medium-heavy carbonation, bitter, a little earthy but still enough sweet.

Overall, nothing to write home about, but worth a go. (427 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -4.8%

Bomber (22oz) poured into a clean Spieglau IPA glass. Looks nice and clear in the glass, gold in color, with a couple fingers of nice foamy head that dissipates to about a half finger and lingers. Fair lacing.

There's a little fruit and some booze in the nose, hops accent these scents a bit. Nothing overwhelming here, but definitely has that 'Mmmmm.... IPA." smell.

My tongue doesn't pick up much fruit, just hop bitterness and a little sweetness. Not at all unpleasant, mind you. It's been a long day, maybe my mouth isn't up to the finer details of this brew. I find myself craving the next sip.

Medium body with normal carbonation, as you might expect with most beers of this style. Pleasantly drinkable but with enough weight to satisfy the feeling of drinking a nice brew.

This beer was made nearly 2500 miles away, so it's a little difficult to get this extra fresh. Overall, it's a nice beer that I wouldn't mind having again. I'd very much like to have a glass of it out in San Diego along with some of their other offerings. Perhaps another time. (1,062 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

12 oz bottle served chilled into a shaker pint glass.

Idiot is a very hazy copper color with thin white head.

Aroma is hoppy but not over the top. It's more like citrus pith rather than fresh juice or zest.

Flavor is surprisingly bitter even for an IPA. The hops flavor is not as prevalent but the bitterness is dominant.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and appropriately carbonated but not very balanced.

Overall a good IPA if you're just going for bitterness but not that great on flavor or aroma. (499 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -9.1%

12 oz bottle. Pours clear copper orange with a big creamy off white head that retains well and laces the glass some.

The aroma is sweet dank fruit with piney resiny hops.

The flavor is sweet ripe fruits with dank resiny hops. It has a bit of a tarry alcohol finish. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with lots of carbonation.

Overall, a nice DIPA, but a little harsh. (378 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Good, clear and golden colored body with a thick, sticky, lasting white head; rings of lacing on the glass. Malty, somewhat woody smelling aroma; dry grass. Somewhat sweet, mildly malty, and decently strong hop bitterness flavors. Medium bodied; a little over-effervescent; dry finish.

An okay and solid IPA. Won't stand out in a crowd, but has a fair balance of flavors, leaning more towards the west coast hop bitterness end of the spectrum. (444 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

LOOK: Hazy Orange Color, Little to No Head, what Foam is there dissipates quickly

SMELL: Hoppy Citrus Scents with Moderate Carmel Aromas

TASTE: Crisp and Refreshing Hoppy Taste but there is No Missing a Definite Alcohol Kick/After Sip Burn

FEEL: Fair Amount of Carbonation, Leaves the Pallet Dry

OVERALL: Quality IPA that Doesn't Overwhelm or Underwhelm you. I would try others before I purchased this IPA again. (416 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -2.3%

12oz bottle poured into a Teku glass
A: Slightly hazy orange with a one-finger head
S: Orange, pineapple, pine, malt, a hint of caramel
T: Bitter, mostly pine and a bit of the malt/caramel notes; doesn't really have much of the citrus
M: Medium-bodied, bitter
O: I wish the taste had more of the citrus notes, otherwise this is a solid though not groundbreaking DIPA (366 characters)

Very nice golden haze rendering the appearance nearly perfect. Strong pungent sour-ish grapefruit smell with a sticky dry mouth feel. Definitely some bitterness that hangs around but something in the balance of the ingredients is slightly off with a lingering sour aftertaste that doesn't suit my preference. Not the harmonious hop - citrus explosion that I've come to expect from the elite DIPAs. I've had the Coronado 18th Anniversary Imperial IPA on tap and it is better than the idiot. But seriously, anything named an idiot has to be tried....and it's a serviceable choice. (585 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -4.8%

Good DIPA, orange color, good size head, bit better than average retention and some lacing. Aroma and taste are primarily citrus hops. The flavor is somewhat balanced by bready malts but the hops are somewhat more prominent. Good tasty brew.

Good bittterness but not harsh. Mouthfeel is smooth as well as crisp. Alcohol is hardly noticeable. (342 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +7.9%

Ver solid IPA from a brewery that is horribly unrepresented in the state of north carolina... What are you doing CORONADO no one knows about you here. (150 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Picked this up from a new craft beer shop. Imperial ipa is my favorite beer style so I'm always trying new ones.

Appearance - Gold/copper color, very small head, very minimal lacing

Smell - Tropical and citrus fruits, sweet malty smell, caramel I think.

Taste - Strong grapefruit and citrus taste. Some light pine, tropical fruits, and sweet and caramel malt tastes as well. Very dry and bitter finish. I like it a lot. Unlike most others' reviews I find the hops to be at the forefront of the taste and the malt taste is not as strong. I quite like it. Leaves a kind of bitter citrus aftertaste that begs for another sip.

Mouthfeel - Kind of light feel, nice crisp carbonation though. Pretty good, nothing bad here but nothing especially noteworthy.

Overall - I wasn't that excited to try this beer after I read all the reviews... I pretty much said to myself "damn, another ipa that's way too malty." HOWEVER, I don't find most of the other reviews to be accurate. This is an awesome hoppy imperial ipa. Superb hop tastes yet very balanced at the same time. I will be buying this again for sure, and will definitely recommend it to other ipa lovers. (1,157 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -2.3%

Pours a golden orange body with one finger head and a little bit of lace with an intense piney, citric hop aroma. The taste mimics the nose as it is very dry and very citrus hoppy but only thing that detracts from this beer is the lack of balance as the malts are overpowered and don't really show up at all. (308 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bomber poured to SN IPA glass

A: a very nice golden orange color, with a thick off white head that leaves spotty lacing.

S: disappointing. Mostly sweet malt, with some pine and faint citrus.

T: see caramel malt, light citrus and pine. Basically like the nose. Lingering bitterness.

M: medium, creamy mouthfeel. Nice crisp carbonation.

O: meh, just ok. Wouldn't buy again. Maybe I got an older bottle? There is no date on the bottle. (437 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The place I purchased this suggested this to me. I don't know if they were just trying to get rid of it or they genuinely liked the beer, but two salespeople mentioned it to me. I am a big hoppy IPA kind of guy. This one was not a bad beer, but based upon the suggestion, and comparison I thought it would be in the same range as Sculpin, to me there was no comparison. Sculpin is a much better beer.

Appearance: Orange almost a bit hazy, very little head, nice color.

Smell: Not as hoppy as I would imagine based upon the 4 C's the bottle claims the brewers put in the beer. Four C's meaning four C named hops, I won't list them here but its on the bottle for reference.

Taste: Not much going on here. Maybe it is a good intro IPA, but my palate has evolved into something that can handle a more aggressive hop profile.

Overall: This is not a bad beer, good intro/gateway IPA, but not all that great. (905 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bomber into a shaker. First impressions: pale copper with an earthy malt aroma and just a hint of citrus - Not overwhelmed at this point. Make it through the single-finger foam and as the scent hinted at, a medium caramel flavored malt and some hayseed hops with the scales tipped towards the malt. And the follow up? A million little hungry bitter bugs biting the back of my tongue, and like the Energizer Bunny they keep going and going and going...

Not really what I had hoped for from a 2xIPA, and not a top-shelf IPA, but not bad either. Would't turn one down if someone bought a round but wouldn't add it to my shopping list either.

(Still going!) (677 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a bottle of Coronado's Idiot IPA last week for $2.79 at The Lager Mill. I had this beer at a recent beer fest and I thought it was a pretty solid Imperial IPA and I thought I would pick up a bottle to review. so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The bottle looks nice, it's got a similar look to their other beers. It poured a lightly hazy golden color that took on more of orange hue when held to the light with three fingers worth of bubbly off white head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end it and left lots of patchy lacing behind. This was a very nice looking beer, the color was nice and the head and lacing was very nice.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness and it's followed by the hops being the first to show up with some fruity hops sticking out the most and they impart some citrus rind and light tropical fruit like aromas with some earthy and light green onion like aromas showing up in the background. Up next comes the malts which impart a sweet malt, biscuit malt. slightly grainy, and caramel malt like aromas with a slight bit of doughy yeast showing up in the background. The aroma was nice, but I could have gone without the green onion like aromas.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the hops being the first to show up and they impart the same fruity aspects that they did in the aroma with no single fruit sticking out the most and there's some light piney and light green onion like flavors. Up next comes the malts which impart pretty much the same aspects that they did in the aroma, but this time the biscuit malts are a little lighter and the caramel malts seem to stick out the most. On the finish there's just a very light boozy flavor followed by higher amount of medium bitterness that was right on the border of being highly bitter and it had a dry, fruity hop and sweet malt like aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer, but i still could have gone without the green onion aspect.

M- Fairly smooth, slightly sticky, not too crisp, dry finish, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a lower amount of medium carbonation. This beer had a nice mouthfeel but I think it could have used a little more crispness and carbonation.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and I thought it was a slightly above average example of a Imperial IPA and I think that if it didn't have that light green onion aspect it would be a pretty good example of the style. This beer had ok drinkability, it was fairly smooth, slightly sticky, not too crisp, dry finish, slightly filling and the taste did an ok job at holding my attention, I think one is about enough for me and I don't really have the urge to drink another one a row since I think the green onion aspect would start to wear on me. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance, I thought it was a very nice looking beer, it's just how I would expect a good imperial IPA to look. What I like the least about this beer was the green onion aspect, it held this beer back from being as good as it could be. I wouldn't buy this beer this beer again, since there's so many other Imperial IPA's that I like more, but I wouldn't turn one down. I can't say I would really recommend it, it's worth a try, but I can't say it's a very noteworthy Imperial IPA. All in all I wasn't a big fan of this beer, it wasn't a bad beer by any means, but I just can't get into this green onion hop aspect that I seem to be getting fairly often from these West Coast Style IPAs and any hoppy beers that come from Stone. I appreciate the effort, but I think with a little work and no green onion aspect this would be a good Imperial IPA. (3,837 characters)

Pours a dark cloudy gold with a half an inch of foam. Smell is very hoppy. Taste is more malty then hoppy with a slight Carmel taste to it. Lightly carbonated with a slight feel of bubbles on the tongue. Overall it's a very good beer and would definitely buy again. #t6pp (271 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Quarter inch head that leaves some definitive rings after each sip. Deep, dirty gold color with a touch of haze.

Nice blend of malt and hop.

Raw hop flavor is the strongest taste. Creamy pale malt base. Rich bodied with ample carbonation. The swallow and aftertaste is all hop bitter spice. True to style of a regular IPA, not a double though.

In a tasting on 12/19/2014, I found this beer to be really well balanced and deceptively easy to drink. I could see myself going to this one repeatedly. The head was also far more impressive--rocky settling with plenty of ring/blanket lace. (591 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +0.5%

A San Diego DIPA? Such a rare beast here....

A: Pours a slightly hazy orange. Finger of creamsickle head. Moderate carbonation. Head retention is moderate/minimal, with moderate lacing.

S: Immediately smacks of tangerine hops. Some definite dankness as well. Lots of fruit juice coming from this one. Reminds me of 5-Alive. Malt is in there, but it's mostly lost to all the citric juiciness.

T: Juiciness in the taste, as well. Big hits of grainy malt up front, Mid palate is a smacking of citrus vs. malt. The caramel edges of the malt mingle with the orange dominated citrus to produce an almost creamsicle type flavor. Follows with a spicy tropical aspect, but the orange flavors immediately reassert. Finishes with a distnictly mandarin flavor. No completely dry, this one has some residual sweetness.

M: Medium bodied. Very tightly packed bubbles. Not quite pillowy, though. Prickle of carbonation on the finish.

O: Again, with the mandarin orange. This one is tasty, but it lacks complexity and bitterness. Enjoyable, but would probably not purchase again at 8 bucks a bomber. (1,091 characters)

3.09/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A - Very light amber color, and super pale head that left a bit of nice lacing
S - You can smell the malt but it is mostly hoppy pine smell
T - Very bitter taste that lingers a LONG time, which I like and is really the only redeeming factor to this beer for me
M - OK mouth feel but nothing extraordinary, a little creamy, well carbonated,
O - This beer is really the most average beer I've had, very little about this beer will stay with me (truly forgettable), not to say it was bad, just a very simple bitter IPA (516 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -27.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

From an undated bottle into my snifter, at fridge temperature.
A - Light orange with very fine, tight bubbles, and about half a finger of head that stays without leaving much of a lacing. Acceptable if not impressive.
S - Caramel malt with some piney, earthy hops. Not impressive.
T - Much like the smell, caramel malt with some piney, earthy hops. There is some initial sweetness before the hops come into play, and then, the bittering earthy hops take over, with some notes of grass and mint on the finish. This tastes much like a toned-down, year-old SN Bigfoot, which means this stuff has sat on the shelves for quite a while. Without the date, it is impossible to tell how old this really is.
M - about the only high point of an otherwise, forgettable beer. Medium, creamy mouthfeel, but does nothing to save the beer.
O - A very pedestrian and mediocre double IPA if it can even be called that. Clearly this is not a fresh bottle, and I have no misgivings about rating this beer as is, since the brewery clearly does not believe in helping its customers make an informed selection, by not putting a date on the bottle. A note to Coronado brewing - please put a date on the bottle or get the f*** out of this business. There are too many good breweries out there that could use the shelf space at the beer store. After the disappointment that was the Coronado Mermaid's Ale (another undated bottle), and this, I am done with this brewery. (1,443 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a DFH signature glass.

A: Pale copper. Good head fades quickly.

S: Musky and grassy. I fear the age on this bottle.

T/M: Gentle, smooth, and sweet. Not particularly what I was looking for, but pleasant nonetheless. Malty-round with hints of hops nipping at every opportunity. A sweeter, stronger Racer 5.

O: Want to try fresh. As is, couldn't recommend. A little sweet and boring. (420 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a cloudy amber color. The head is a little over one finger high, faintly off-white in shade, and thickly textured. Retention is solid enough. Streaks of lacing are left on the glass, also.

S: The prominent note is grapefruity hops, followed closely by sweet caramel-y malts. It's also quite herbaceous and piny, with a slight touch of fruity esters coming to play as well. Definitely an old school aroma, but not a horrible one - I just wished it came off a bit drier.

T: Initially, the grapefruit flavors come across nicely, with only a subtle bitterness. Sweet malts override and balance the hop notes on the back end. Faint fruit esters float around the body in spurts - honestly, this is my favorite part of the flavor profile. The sweetness seems to have a bit more definition than other DIPAs, too. While it's not exactly what I want from a DIPA, this carves it's own niche decently enough.

M: Full and creamy. I'm reminded of DFH's 90 Minute in this regard - while it's quite sweet, the big body and soft texture carries it to the palate well. Carbonation is gentle. Despite its relative bigness, it's actually pretty easy to drink considering.

O: This isn't particularly successful as a pure DIPA. BUT, it's soft, well balanced, and relatively drinkable. Worth drinking again - it just doesn't satiate my DIPA thirst entirely. (1,380 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A- Poured from the 12oz bottle to a large, snifter glass with a hazy, copper-orange body. A white cap forms to about a finger high with a foamy, slightly creamy overall texture. Head retention is decent as the foam falls to a small ring. Lacing at the top is in the form of webs but mostly spotty deposits on the glass.

S- Hops off the top with an emphasis on citrus, pine and a light bit of stone fruits. Not as aromatic as the most pungent of DIPAs but enough hops to satisfy the style. Light American yeast with hints of bread as well as a bit of sweet malts.

T- As in the nose, there is a focus on hops, specifically on citrus and pine lending ones. Hops give notes of oranges, grapefruit, resin, apricot pith, flowers and earth. Malts strong enough to mention with light caramel, cracked grain, cereal hints and light sweetness. Yeast clean beneath the hops.

MF- Moderately thick bodied with a creamy overall texture when given some agitation. Carbonation at a high end level with a crisp feel. Bitterness coats the palate in the finish and lingers with the hop oils.

Reminds me a bit of Hercules by Great Divide when I think of other similar beers. The hops aren't quite as tropical or fruity as many other modern DIPAs but that is fine. Good beer but this style is so competitive and it doesn't match up with the greats. (1,331 characters)

Idiot IPA from Coronado Brewing Company