Idiot IPA - Coronado Brewing Company

Coronado Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: scottoale on 05-09-2007

Ratings: 1,330 | Reviews: 384
4.25/5  rDev +9.5%

Ver solid IPA from a brewery that is horribly unrepresented in the state of north carolina... What are you doing CORONADO no one knows about you here.

4.5/5  rDev +16%

Great!

4.41/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Picked this up from a new craft beer shop. Imperial ipa is my favorite beer style so I'm always trying new ones.

Appearance - Gold/copper color, very small head, very minimal lacing

Smell - Tropical and citrus fruits, sweet malty smell, caramel I think.

Taste - Strong grapefruit and citrus taste. Some light pine, tropical fruits, and sweet and caramel malt tastes as well. Very dry and bitter finish. I like it a lot. Unlike most others' reviews I find the hops to be at the forefront of the taste and the malt taste is not as strong. I quite like it. Leaves a kind of bitter citrus aftertaste that begs for another sip.

Mouthfeel - Kind of light feel, nice crisp carbonation though. Pretty good, nothing bad here but nothing especially noteworthy.

Overall - I wasn't that excited to try this beer after I read all the reviews... I pretty much said to myself "damn, another ipa that's way too malty." HOWEVER, I don't find most of the other reviews to be accurate. This is an awesome hoppy imperial ipa. Superb hop tastes yet very balanced at the same time. I will be buying this again for sure, and will definitely recommend it to other ipa lovers.

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%

Pours a golden orange body with one finger head and a little bit of lace with an intense piney, citric hop aroma. The taste mimics the nose as it is very dry and very citrus hoppy but only thing that detracts from this beer is the lack of balance as the malts are overpowered and don't really show up at all.

3.71/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bomber poured to SN IPA glass

A: a very nice golden orange color, with a thick off white head that leaves spotty lacing.

S: disappointing. Mostly sweet malt, with some pine and faint citrus.

T: see caramel malt, light citrus and pine. Basically like the nose. Lingering bitterness.

M: medium, creamy mouthfeel. Nice crisp carbonation.

O: meh, just ok. Wouldn't buy again. Maybe I got an older bottle? There is no date on the bottle.

3.77/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The place I purchased this suggested this to me. I don't know if they were just trying to get rid of it or they genuinely liked the beer, but two salespeople mentioned it to me. I am a big hoppy IPA kind of guy. This one was not a bad beer, but based upon the suggestion, and comparison I thought it would be in the same range as Sculpin, to me there was no comparison. Sculpin is a much better beer.

Appearance: Orange almost a bit hazy, very little head, nice color.

Smell: Not as hoppy as I would imagine based upon the 4 C's the bottle claims the brewers put in the beer. Four C's meaning four C named hops, I won't list them here but its on the bottle for reference.

Taste: Not much going on here. Maybe it is a good intro IPA, but my palate has evolved into something that can handle a more aggressive hop profile.

Overall: This is not a bad beer, good intro/gateway IPA, but not all that great.

3.78/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bomber into a shaker. First impressions: pale copper with an earthy malt aroma and just a hint of citrus - Not overwhelmed at this point. Make it through the single-finger foam and as the scent hinted at, a medium caramel flavored malt and some hayseed hops with the scales tipped towards the malt. And the follow up? A million little hungry bitter bugs biting the back of my tongue, and like the Energizer Bunny they keep going and going and going...

Not really what I had hoped for from a 2xIPA, and not a top-shelf IPA, but not bad either. Would't turn one down if someone bought a round but wouldn't add it to my shopping list either.

(Still going!)

3.55/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a bottle of Coronado's Idiot IPA last week for $2.79 at The Lager Mill. I had this beer at a recent beer fest and I thought it was a pretty solid Imperial IPA and I thought I would pick up a bottle to review. so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The bottle looks nice, it's got a similar look to their other beers. It poured a lightly hazy golden color that took on more of orange hue when held to the light with three fingers worth of bubbly off white head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end it and left lots of patchy lacing behind. This was a very nice looking beer, the color was nice and the head and lacing was very nice.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness and it's followed by the hops being the first to show up with some fruity hops sticking out the most and they impart some citrus rind and light tropical fruit like aromas with some earthy and light green onion like aromas showing up in the background. Up next comes the malts which impart a sweet malt, biscuit malt. slightly grainy, and caramel malt like aromas with a slight bit of doughy yeast showing up in the background. The aroma was nice, but I could have gone without the green onion like aromas.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the hops being the first to show up and they impart the same fruity aspects that they did in the aroma with no single fruit sticking out the most and there's some light piney and light green onion like flavors. Up next comes the malts which impart pretty much the same aspects that they did in the aroma, but this time the biscuit malts are a little lighter and the caramel malts seem to stick out the most. On the finish there's just a very light boozy flavor followed by higher amount of medium bitterness that was right on the border of being highly bitter and it had a dry, fruity hop and sweet malt like aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer, but i still could have gone without the green onion aspect.

M- Fairly smooth, slightly sticky, not too crisp, dry finish, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a lower amount of medium carbonation. This beer had a nice mouthfeel but I think it could have used a little more crispness and carbonation.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and I thought it was a slightly above average example of a Imperial IPA and I think that if it didn't have that light green onion aspect it would be a pretty good example of the style. This beer had ok drinkability, it was fairly smooth, slightly sticky, not too crisp, dry finish, slightly filling and the taste did an ok job at holding my attention, I think one is about enough for me and I don't really have the urge to drink another one a row since I think the green onion aspect would start to wear on me. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance, I thought it was a very nice looking beer, it's just how I would expect a good imperial IPA to look. What I like the least about this beer was the green onion aspect, it held this beer back from being as good as it could be. I wouldn't buy this beer this beer again, since there's so many other Imperial IPA's that I like more, but I wouldn't turn one down. I can't say I would really recommend it, it's worth a try, but I can't say it's a very noteworthy Imperial IPA. All in all I wasn't a big fan of this beer, it wasn't a bad beer by any means, but I just can't get into this green onion hop aspect that I seem to be getting fairly often from these West Coast Style IPAs and any hoppy beers that come from Stone. I appreciate the effort, but I think with a little work and no green onion aspect this would be a good Imperial IPA.

Pours a dark cloudy gold with a half an inch of foam. Smell is very hoppy. Taste is more malty then hoppy with a slight Carmel taste to it. Lightly carbonated with a slight feel of bubbles on the tongue. Overall it's a very good beer and would definitely buy again. #t6pp

3.95/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Quarter inch head that leaves some definitive rings after each sip. Deep, dirty gold color with a touch of haze.

Nice blend of malt and hop.

Raw hop flavor is the strongest taste. Creamy pale malt base. Rich bodied with ample carbonation. The swallow and aftertaste is all hop bitter spice. True to style of a regular IPA, not a double though.

In a tasting on 12/19/2014, I found this beer to be really well balanced and deceptively easy to drink. I could see myself going to this one repeatedly. The head was also far more impressive--rocky settling with plenty of ring/blanket lace.

3.96/5  rDev +2.1%

A San Diego DIPA? Such a rare beast here....

A: Pours a slightly hazy orange. Finger of creamsickle head. Moderate carbonation. Head retention is moderate/minimal, with moderate lacing.

S: Immediately smacks of tangerine hops. Some definite dankness as well. Lots of fruit juice coming from this one. Reminds me of 5-Alive. Malt is in there, but it's mostly lost to all the citric juiciness.

T: Juiciness in the taste, as well. Big hits of grainy malt up front, Mid palate is a smacking of citrus vs. malt. The caramel edges of the malt mingle with the orange dominated citrus to produce an almost creamsicle type flavor. Follows with a spicy tropical aspect, but the orange flavors immediately reassert. Finishes with a distnictly mandarin flavor. No completely dry, this one has some residual sweetness.

M: Medium bodied. Very tightly packed bubbles. Not quite pillowy, though. Prickle of carbonation on the finish.

O: Again, with the mandarin orange. This one is tasty, but it lacks complexity and bitterness. Enjoyable, but would probably not purchase again at 8 bucks a bomber.

3.09/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A - Very light amber color, and super pale head that left a bit of nice lacing
S - You can smell the malt but it is mostly hoppy pine smell
T - Very bitter taste that lingers a LONG time, which I like and is really the only redeeming factor to this beer for me
M - OK mouth feel but nothing extraordinary, a little creamy, well carbonated,
O - This beer is really the most average beer I've had, very little about this beer will stay with me (truly forgettable), not to say it was bad, just a very simple bitter IPA

2.86/5  rDev -26.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

From an undated bottle into my snifter, at fridge temperature.
A - Light orange with very fine, tight bubbles, and about half a finger of head that stays without leaving much of a lacing. Acceptable if not impressive.
S - Caramel malt with some piney, earthy hops. Not impressive.
T - Much like the smell, caramel malt with some piney, earthy hops. There is some initial sweetness before the hops come into play, and then, the bittering earthy hops take over, with some notes of grass and mint on the finish. This tastes much like a toned-down, year-old SN Bigfoot, which means this stuff has sat on the shelves for quite a while. Without the date, it is impossible to tell how old this really is.
M - about the only high point of an otherwise, forgettable beer. Medium, creamy mouthfeel, but does nothing to save the beer.
O - A very pedestrian and mediocre double IPA if it can even be called that. Clearly this is not a fresh bottle, and I have no misgivings about rating this beer as is, since the brewery clearly does not believe in helping its customers make an informed selection, by not putting a date on the bottle. A note to Coronado brewing - please put a date on the bottle or get the f*** out of this business. There are too many good breweries out there that could use the shelf space at the beer store. After the disappointment that was the Coronado Mermaid's Ale (another undated bottle), and this, I am done with this brewery.

3.38/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a DFH signature glass.

A: Pale copper. Good head fades quickly.

S: Musky and grassy. I fear the age on this bottle.

T/M: Gentle, smooth, and sweet. Not particularly what I was looking for, but pleasant nonetheless. Malty-round with hints of hops nipping at every opportunity. A sweeter, stronger Racer 5.

O: Want to try fresh. As is, couldn't recommend. A little sweet and boring.

3.25/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a cloudy amber color. The head is a little over one finger high, faintly off-white in shade, and thickly textured. Retention is solid enough. Streaks of lacing are left on the glass, also.

S: The prominent note is grapefruity hops, followed closely by sweet caramel-y malts. It's also quite herbaceous and piny, with a slight touch of fruity esters coming to play as well. Definitely an old school aroma, but not a horrible one - I just wished it came off a bit drier.

T: Initially, the grapefruit flavors come across nicely, with only a subtle bitterness. Sweet malts override and balance the hop notes on the back end. Faint fruit esters float around the body in spurts - honestly, this is my favorite part of the flavor profile. The sweetness seems to have a bit more definition than other DIPAs, too. While it's not exactly what I want from a DIPA, this carves it's own niche decently enough.

M: Full and creamy. I'm reminded of DFH's 90 Minute in this regard - while it's quite sweet, the big body and soft texture carries it to the palate well. Carbonation is gentle. Despite its relative bigness, it's actually pretty easy to drink considering.

O: This isn't particularly successful as a pure DIPA. BUT, it's soft, well balanced, and relatively drinkable. Worth drinking again - it just doesn't satiate my DIPA thirst entirely.

3.66/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A- Poured from the 12oz bottle to a large, snifter glass with a hazy, copper-orange body. A white cap forms to about a finger high with a foamy, slightly creamy overall texture. Head retention is decent as the foam falls to a small ring. Lacing at the top is in the form of webs but mostly spotty deposits on the glass.

S- Hops off the top with an emphasis on citrus, pine and a light bit of stone fruits. Not as aromatic as the most pungent of DIPAs but enough hops to satisfy the style. Light American yeast with hints of bread as well as a bit of sweet malts.

T- As in the nose, there is a focus on hops, specifically on citrus and pine lending ones. Hops give notes of oranges, grapefruit, resin, apricot pith, flowers and earth. Malts strong enough to mention with light caramel, cracked grain, cereal hints and light sweetness. Yeast clean beneath the hops.

MF- Moderately thick bodied with a creamy overall texture when given some agitation. Carbonation at a high end level with a crisp feel. Bitterness coats the palate in the finish and lingers with the hop oils.

Reminds me a bit of Hercules by Great Divide when I think of other similar beers. The hops aren't quite as tropical or fruity as many other modern DIPAs but that is fine. Good beer but this style is so competitive and it doesn't match up with the greats.

4.03/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a mug glass.

A: The beer is a very light gold color, with a large foamy off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick but spotty lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is an extremely nice blend of floral hops, fruit citrus and caramelized malts.

T: The taste starts out with a strong burst of grassy hops bitterness. Then some citrus and caramel sweetness comes in. The malt character is on the thin side and there isn’t quite as much balance as you normally see in the style. The after-taste is slightly sweet and slightly hoppy.

M: Crisp and smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: Tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, good kick, good representation of style, there are better choices in the style but this is still a solid 2IPA to drink for a long time.

3.79/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: golden in color, clear with nice lacing
S: hints of citrus balanced by malt
T: excellent balance of hops and citrus. No singularly overwhelming characteristic.
M: wakes up the tastebuds, does finish dry
O: very good offering of an IIPA. Hides ABV well. Well worth the pour.

3.87/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a cloudy amber with an off white head.

The smell is like a sweet,spicy,earthy, biscuit, there are citrus hops coming through but it's definitely the malts shining brightest.

The taste is bitter up front, spicy, peppery and earthy with some sweetness at the back.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with low to medium carbonation.

Overall a very good beer, the peppery spicy hops are interesting. The abv is completely hidden as well.

4.52/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Taste was outstanding however the extremely foamy feel really turned me off to it. The smell is great whish they would make a Cologne of this stuff. I just hate how foamy it got when I opened it and drank it. As for appearance the bottle is a nice bottle but as for the beer well its a beer what can I say I'm going to drink and taste it not paint my wall with it haha.

3.74/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Golden, slightly hazy, with a thin cap of fine, white bubbles. Sticky. Tropical, citrusy hop aroma, pineapples and citrus zest, grapefruit, mango. Solid bitterness, but mostly fruity-sweet with an alcohol edge. Hint of fruity tartness. More tropical character, a bit of citrus, sweetness pulled things together but was less malty than fruity. A bit warm, medium-full bodied with lowish carbonation. Quite enjoyable.

4.09/5  rDev +5.4%

I picked up a 4-pack of this at Krugel's in Wilkes-Barre last week for $13.49. Have had a couple already, but not during any possible reviewable time. The bottle is unlike what is currently pictured; it says "Crown Series" and has a painted label of a mermaid holding a few steins as its main feature.

Poured one into one of those high tech Sam Adams glasses.... It is a bit cloudy, and a bright golden color. There's a plethora of very active carbo within, and the head is a touch off-white, frothy and healthy. The foam sticks well to the glass, also. The aroma is easily noticed quite a distance from the glass itself, and has loads of pithy, grapefruity hops. It is only a slight bit prickly on the tongue, and the body is a decent medium.

There might be a hint of malty sweetness here, but it's not readily noticeable. What there is plenty of is hoppage. There's a solid dose of grapefruit along with some pineapple and pithy, rindy bitterness. I did get a smidge of sweetness, but it is more in the form of apricot jam and honey than anything malt-based. The hops linger nicely, and are never really overly bitter at all. Scarily, I don't feel anything of the 8.5% ABV here... Pretty good, overall, even if a tad pricey. Prosit!!

4.08/5 rDev +4.1%

4.16/5  rDev +7.2%

On tap at the San Diego airport

A - golden yellow, head and sticky lace

S - hoppy and bitter

T - Tasty! Citrus and hoppy. More citrusy than the nose. Well balanced and tasty. ABV is hidden

M - medium bodied, oily, smooth

O - a great dIpa. Tasty!

4.12/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

With the classic but aggressive taste of IPA gone by, the taste of Idiot IPA reminds me of the taste of IPAs before the newer and more tropical type of hops gained favor. Without those newer aromas and tastes, this older version really focused on bitterness and dryness.

With its sturdy amber and light copper color, the mildly hazed ale appears to have a golden-orange tinge. As its ivory-white column of foam builds, its head character is persistent and clinging with lacing rings with each sip.

Its radiant aromas are squarely dedicated to the grapefruit character of hops. Its juicy pink grapefruit character is highly citrusy and sharply scented, even as the supporting malt sweetness tries to buffer its aromatic effect. But further propelled with lemon and orange peels, pine resins and an overall grassy tinge- the hops are unwaivering in their pungency.

And similar in taste, the caramel and honey flavor from malt is short-lived as the middle palate of hops topple any supporting sweetness and command the beer thereafter- first with the juicy and dry taste of fresh-squeezed citrus juices, except where fructose sweetness is expected, the beer dives head first into a dry and bitter finish. The ale lingers in the throat with its sappy and resinous character and with the grassy taste of chlorophyll hanging around.

Medium-dry in body, the ale's early creamy malt structures are temporary. As the hops settle onto the tonuge, it pushes any sweetness and carbonation aside and saturates the mouth with its palate-stripping resinous mouthfeel. Warm and dry to finish, the ale acts more like the hop-dominant and standard American IPA rather than the more balanced imperial variety.

The Idiot IPA is a highly focused and disciplined IPA but with a little extra gusto. Its bright citrusy bitterness and malty-dry backbone are quintessential "West Coast" style IPAs. Though ever-classy, the preferences are trending to the newer and "juicier" tropical hop varieties.

3.84/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Love Coronado Brewing Company, I could sleep on the beach and just hang out there all day if I could find a way to pay the bills. Anyway, pretty decent DIPA. I prefer Frog's Breath and Islander to this though. It's a tad too malty for me. Not very hoppy. Nice change of pace for someone who loves to just chew on hops like myself. Nice aroma, little bit of hops, more bread and malt than hops though. Give it a shot. Frog's Breath is the way to go IMO. Cheers!

Idiot IPA from Coronado Brewing Company