2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Saison By The Sea - Coronado Brewing Company

Saison By The SeaSaison By The Sea

good

Coronado Brewing Company visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: Bitterbill on 08-24-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 40 | Reviews: 29 | Show All Ratings:
andyinsdca

One of the most revolting beers I've had the misfortune to drink in 20+ years of drinking beers, and that includes skunked beers and crap brewed with formaldehyde. I took one sip and was assaulted by a very bizarre sweet/sour/fruity taste that I couldn't place. I got the strange aftertaste that I thought might be brewer's mustard. I took a second, very tiny sip and dumped the rest of the bottle in the sink.

09-12-2008 06:07:00 | More by andyinsdca
Bitterbill

Wyoming

3.5/5  rDev +0.6%

I bought this bottle from South Bay D&L. Thanks Joey!

It pours a hazy orange with a 2 finger head of foam. It leaves some nice sticky lacing but the head retention degraded as the session went on.

The smell is fruity and spicy! I get notes of pear, lemon, some peach, corriander, clove, and an earthy yeasty tone. Nice and complex.

The taste starts off both earthy and sweetish. The fruit plays it big here. Lots of pear and peach tops, with some apple, with a lemon twang that I find mostly in the finish. Plenty of spiciness as well with some big notes of ginger and lesser notes of pepper and clove. Underlining it all is an earthy yeasty presence.

It has a light body, the carbonation is light, and it finishes slightly bitter and ginger spicy...a very dry finish. I can feel the alcohol after I finished my first pour but it doesn't show up in the smell nor the taste. Just some light warming after the swallow.

Bottom line: I think this is a good example of a Saison, lots of fruity and spicy flavours going on but...and this is no slight to Coronado but, I think there is something about it that, well, doesn't inspire me to seek it out again. I can't really pinpoint my reason for saying that. Maybe too much fruit and/ or too much spice? Though I "will" finish this 22oz bottle, the more I sipped on it, the more difficult it became to take another sip. Maybe I just picked a bad time to pop the cap on this one...

09-06-2008 14:31:32 | More by Bitterbill
Gueuzedude

Arizona

3.48/5  rDev 0%

Bottle Date 08.08.08; Sampled August 2008
As I pour this into my 25cl tulip glass it is quite obviously spicy and aromatic with notes of earthy coriander and freshly grated ginger being quite prominent. The beer pours with a three finger thick, light tan colored head. The beer is a ruddy, amber color that shows a hazy, amber-tinged, copper color when held up to the light. The spices clearly dominate the aroma of this beer, with the two mentioned spice notes being the most prominent. There are also aromas of clove, candied apple, dusty slight stale cracker like malt, woody pepper in the nose, some nail polish and a concentrated pear note.

Lightly sweet, which accentuates fruity flavors of pear, some light sweetened lemon zest and sweet apple cider. The spice flavors actually numb the tongue a bit with the prominent ginger and turpene-driven clove notes. Finishes a bit on the warm side from both the piquant spice character and some touches of higher alcohols. This definitely has an earthy spiciness to it, certainly contributed by the yeast character, but there might also be a touch of coriander here (though then again maybe not). Really gets phenolic, especially as it warms up; strong clove notes are joined by lacquer and nail polish flavors that, while not overwhelming or harsh, are definitely noticeable. Medium bodied for a saison, though I would not say it has too much heft, though I prefer both a drier and lighter version of the style.

Very spicy interpretation of a Saison; they used both a very spicy yeast strain and chose to spice it quite well were one or the other probably would have sufficed. Not bad and even somewhat tasty, it just comes off as being a bit overboard.

Purchased: South Bay Drugs, Imperial Beach CA

09-01-2008 02:32:04 | More by Gueuzedude
Stoneman78

Pours an opaque dark orange hue with a large off-white head that mostly sustains and leaves modest lacing on the glass. Nose is ginger, citrus, light fruits, yeast, herbs and spices, very light and flavorful. Initial taste is pears, peaches, apples, and apricot with grassy hops, yeasty tones and peppery spices enter midway along with lemon zest and ginger, finishes dry and sweet. Medium-bodied with a creamy smooth texture and ample carbonation. Very flavorful and full-bodied saison with a deep fruit profile, hooray on my first ever beer added!

08-24-2008 17:13:27 | More by Stoneman78