Coronado Orange Avenue - Coronado Brewing Company

Coronado Orange AvenueCoronado Orange Avenue

good

Coronado Brewing Company visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-04-2008)
3.85/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

4.8/5  rDev +34.8%

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

3.8/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Appearance: 1/3 inch head, high carbonation, orange-yellow in color, hazy

Smell: coriander, orange, and peach

Taste: wheat, coriander, orange, and peach

Mouthfeel: light body, sweet, medium carbonation

Overall: I get more peach than orange, but this is a nice summer time brew. One of the better beers I have had from the brewery to date. I will get this again.

3.74/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Cloudy, dark gold color. Spots for lace. Small but lasting head.

Sweet orange blossom smell. Light malt in the background.

The flavor is similar to a creamsicle with a neutral ice cream and a candied orange flavor. Full bodied and lowly carbonated. Short aftertaste.

3.5/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Coronado Brewing Compan'y Orange Avenue last week for $1.89 at The Lager Mill. I had this a couple weeks ago at a local beer festival and I liked so I thought I would pick up a bottle, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I think it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a Weizen glass.

A- The bottle looks pretty nice, it's got a good design and a little bit of information about the beer. It poured a orangish gold color that took on more of an orange color when held to the light with almost a fingers worth of white head that quickly died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it left some spotty lacing behind. This was a nice looking beer, I liked the color, but I wish the head and retention were a little better.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by the malts being the first to show up and they impart some light sweet malt, bready and wheat like aromas with a little bit of doughy yeast showing up in the background. Up next comes a nice orange aroma that has a natural orange oil like aroma to and it's followed by a slight higher amount of medium spices with some coriander seeming to stick out the most. This beer had a pretty nice aroma and it lived up to it's name.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the malts being the first to show up and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma with neither aspect seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes some oranges which impart the same orange rind oil like aspect that it did in the aroma and followed by the spices which seem to show up a little more than they did in the aroma and the coriander still sticks out the most. On the finish there's no bitterness with a slight wheat and a perfume like mixture of orange rind oil and spices showing up in the aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer, but i thought the combination of oranges and spices got a little perfume like for me.

M- Fairly smooth, a little crisp, slightly refreshing, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. This beer had a pretty nice mouthfeel, but the perfumey aspect didn't make it as smooth as I would like.

overall I thought this was a decent beer and I thought it was pretty close to average example of a orange infused wheat beer but the different orange aspect it had made it a little unique, but i tend to like this style to have more of a typical orange rind like aspect. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it was fairly smooth, a little crisp, slightly refreshing, not filling, but the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention and the perfume aspect started to wear on me by the end of the bottle so one would be my limit. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma, it had just the right amount of balance and I wish the taste had the same balance. What I liked the least about this beer was the how the combination of the oranges and the spices made for a perfume like flavor, it really held the taste and drinkability back. I don't think I would get this beer again, I would rather have an Oberon. I don't think I would recommend this beer, but other people may not find it as perfume like as me. All in all I didn't think was a bad beer, but I didn't really enjoy it to much, I don't remember it being as perfume like when i had it at the beer fest. I appreciate the effort guys, but I think with a little work this could be a pretty nice beer.

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

4.59/5  rDev +28.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Appearance

Minimal lacing and pours to an almost dreamsicle like in color. Non-transparent, medium head with tints of orange hue

Nose

Sweet, light orange, sugar-citrus, peachy

Palate

WOW!! A light delicious mouth-feel of dancing flavors from orange to wheat, bananas, yeast and citrus It’s so light and refreshing and has a myriad of delicious notes weaving through the glass. Certainly wasn't expecting it, I'm usually not a fan of this style of beer but I'm really glad I got it.

-BeerandwhiskeyHQ.com

4.5/5  rDev +26.4%