Stupid Stout (2011 - ) - Coronado Brewing Company

Stupid Stout (2011 - )
No picture uploaded.

Coronado Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Nugganooch on 10-21-2011)
4.1/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Bwagner1122, Yesterday at 03:04 AM
4.24/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

GallowsThief, Tuesday at 12:30 AM

ZEB89, Monday at 06:33 PM
3.8/5  rDev -1%

tschiess, Nov 21, 2014
4.5/5  rDev +17.2%

Big viscous brew pours thick and pitch black in color, large texture mocha tan head swells up above the rim of my chalice. Fine speckled lacing coats the glass evenly as the foam fades down.

Aroma dark chocolate, soy sauce notes, intense roasted malt profile creamy notes are in there as well...evident alcohol but not booze ridden. Definite roasted coffee qualities not sure if there's any coffee but it smells like coffee! Hints of anise arise as the beer warms up a bit!

Flavor creamy chocolate notes hints of caramel roasted malt and coffee notes acrid dark roasted malts blend really well, slight umami soy sauce characteristic is definitely there. Drinks really smooth, sweet chocolate encompasses the palate finishing like a dessert beer.

Mouthfeel is full bodied able to chew on this beer, big ol' imperial stout. Really goes down smooth across the palate, high calories substantial beer here...really good offering from Coronado excellent silky smooth textures and even carbonation.

Overall, impressive beer from start to finish very good stuff, world class imperial stout from San Diego imagine that!

WVbeergeek, Nov 20, 2014

4.28/5  rDev +11.5%

aussieyank, Nov 11, 2014

jose_alehouseSD, Nov 08, 2014
4.01/5  rDev +4.4%

I picked up a bottle of Coronado's Stupid Stout 2014 today for $7.99 at The Lager Mill. I was looking for a new Stout to try for Stout Day and since I haven't had this one before I thought I would take a chance on it, so lets see how it goes. 2014 Vintage. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks ok, it's pretty plain looking and it isn't eye catching. It poured a dark black color that didn't let any light come through and it had two fingers worth of very creamy and slightly bubbly mocha colored head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice rings of lacing behind. This is a very nice looking Stout, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that bordered on being highly sweet with the dark roasted malts being the first to show up and they impart some nice roasted malt, slightly grainy, chocolate, light caramel and lighter coffee aromas with just a little bit of doughy yeast showing up in the background. Up next comes a light alcohol aroma with some dark fruity aromas with mainly cherries coming through with a slight hoppy aroma and they add a little complexity to the aroma. This beer had a good aroma that was a little complex, I liked it.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the dark roasted malts still being the first to show up and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma with the roasted malts and chocolate flavors sticking out the most, but this time there's just a slight black licorice and smokey aspect. Up next comes a slight bit of doughy yeast that leads straight into the alcohol which shows up a little more than it did in the aroma and it's just a little warming. On the finish comes that same cherry aspect but it's a little lighter and it's followed by a light hoppy flavor with slightly lower amount of medium bitterness with a roasted malt, chocolate and light cherry like aftertaste. This was a good tasting beer, it was true to style and a little complex.

M- Smooth, slightly warming, crisp, a little sticky, a little chewy, full bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was good, but I though the carbonation could be toned down just a little.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and I thought it was a good example of a Imperial Stout, it had pretty much all the aspects that I look for in the style and the added complexity made for one nice Imperial Stout. This beer had nice drinkability, it was smooth, slightly warming, crisp, a little sticky, a little chewy, a little filling and the taste did a good job of holding my attention, I think one glass is the perfect amount for me, but I don't think I'll have a problem drinking the bomber to myself and it makes for a nice cold weather beer. What I like the most about this beer is the appearance and complexity, I liked the fact that there was more going on with this beer than just booze and roasted malts. What I liked the least about this beer was the carbonation, I think it could be a little lower, but it isn't that big of a deal. I would buy this beer again and I wouldn't mind throwing one in the cellar to see how it changes over time. I would recommend giving this a try if your a Stout lover, I think it's a worthy example of the style. All in all I was happy with this beer, I don't have a whole lot of experience with this brewery and I have yet to have a beer that was really impressive from them, but this one was good and I enjoyed it. So far it's my favorite Coronado beer, it's not my favorite of the style, but I don't think it's middle of the road either. Good job guys, this was a really solid Imperial Stout, keep up the good work.

StoutHunter, Nov 07, 2014