Kvass - Beaver Brewing Company

good

Beaver Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Kvass |  2.00% ABV

(Beer added by: IronCitySteve on 04-02-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Kvass Alström Bros
BeerAdvocate

3.8/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

From BeerAdvocate magazine Issue #66 (July 2012):

LOOK: Clear pale gold, bubbly, nice lacing

SMELL: Fresh lemons, lavender, mint, mineral, bread crust, cilantro, raisins, tart, spice

TASTE: Light bodied, very crisp, lemon zest, wet, bready, nutty, mint, floral, pith, golden raisins, bone-dry grainy finish

Old-school beer from a completely different world, essentially a staple beverage from Eastern Europe that is brewed with bread, fruit and other flavorings. A low-alcohol beer that is generally no more than 2-percent ABV. Beaver Brewing is perhaps one of the only US breweries that produces this style year-round. An amazing brew for what it is.

11-27-2013 22:53:48 | More by BeerAdvocate
billbeers

06-08-2013 22:02:43 | More by billbeers
JonSzakelyhidi

4.5/5  rDev +19.7%

01-14-2013 04:51:59 | More by JonSzakelyhidi
RblWthACoz

4.25/5  rDev +13%

The world of kvass is littered with a whole mess of utterly atrocious (mostly Russian produced) garbage out there. So, frankly, it wouldn't be too hard to show them up. Regardless, this is a really nice production. Bready tones are clearly evident. (surprise!) And there is somewhat of a sweet tone that comes across. Mmm. I just got a nice hit of grain on there. Seems like wheat, which reminds me that this looks like a wit or hefe at first sight. The overall verdict is that this is pretty nice. Seems a bit heavy on my stomach, but I am guessing that is because this is a fresh beer and there is all that bread involved. Hey...I wonder what kind of bread he used for this...

08-19-2012 08:07:46 | More by RblWthACoz
mgbickel

12-05-2011 20:18:58 | More by mgbickel
thebouch01

11-14-2011 18:33:39 | More by thebouch01
trxxpaxxs

2.93/5  rDev -22.1%

Got this growler in the Tasting Partners BIF. Thanks.

A: Pours a thin, cloudy straw. There is almost no head, but there are a few sickly looking raisins floating in my glass.

S: Smells of yeasty bread, some sweet malt, and some serious sour.

T: Tastes sours and acidic. The finish is dry with some of the tartness lingering around. The raisins do cut the tartness with a bit of sweet, but I wouldn't recommend trying to eat one.

M: A light-bodied beer that is extremely thin. But what do you expect from a 1.7% abv behemoth? It finishes dry.

O: I'm glad to have tried this beer, but I wouldn't want it again. It wasn't the worst thing I've ever had, but it was far from good.

09-25-2011 23:47:23 | More by trxxpaxxs
sliverX

S. Georgia & S. Sandwich Isls.

3.1/5  rDev -17.6%

Growler picked up in the Tasting Partner BIF
Um well lets see its a very light yellow with a few bloated raisins jumping around, whispy white ring around the edge.
Smell is lightly of raisins and a bit of malty booze.
Taste is tart a bit weird all I can think of is this tastes sort of what I imagine fermented fresh cut hay field.. ok my girlfriend insisted we eat a raisin, multiply the taste ten fold and its a bit shocking. As its warmed its taken on a diluted apple juice thing.
Mouthfeel is light crisp drying
overall I had no idea what to expect here and still not sure I do. it grows on you a bit but still nothing to seek out.

09-25-2011 17:39:47 | More by sliverX
Thorpe429

3.13/5  rDev -16.8%

Thanks to a generous trader for this growler. Served in a tulip at our Christmas in July party last weekend. Currently the #1 Kvass.

Comes in a clear growler with loads of spherical raisins floating in it. Some are at the bottom. When opened, all the raisins rise to the top. Dr. Abmuh says this is because there was trapped CO2 within them and they rise when the pressure is released. Something like that. Cloudy yellow. Really cool presentation overall. Onto the beer.

The nose brings forward a bit of light straw malt and bread plus a mild raisin character. Almost a bit wheaty. The flavor takes more of the wheat character and everything is distinctively bready. There's some mild sweetness. The mouthfeel takes the flavor over, as it's oddly dry and bitter. Very strange, as it's not a hop-like bitterness. Not bad, though not something I would return to.

07-19-2011 01:15:38 | More by Thorpe429
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

3.68/5  rDev -2.1%

Growler shared by Thorpe429. Thanks Mike!

Currently the #1 kvass.

The beer appears extremely hazy and yellow hued, like a hefeweizen without the towering, white cap. Some decent lacing is left behind. The growler contains several dozen buoyant raisins, many of which defected into my snifter.

The aroma is funky and smells similar to a berlinerweiss.

The flavor brings some light funk, weizen like flavors, and some fusel alcohol. If it weren't for the unusual and slightly off putting alcohol scent and flavor, this beer would be top notch. Additionally, I would prefer this beer without raisins.

There is an odd bitterness, most notably in the finish. The body is very thin, of course, with this being a 1.8% session beer. Highly drinkable.

Overall, I really enjoyed this beer. This is my third kvass, and my favorite so far. This kvass was remarkably different than the previous two. It seems that this style has a broad interpretation. A fun and interesting experience. I would definitely have this again.

07-18-2011 20:37:32 | More by Huhzubendah
drabmuh

Maryland

3.38/5  rDev -10.1%

At the time of this review, this is the #1 Kvas on beeradvocate. A growler shared by Thorpe429 last night, beer served in a snifter. I have had 5 Kvas, this was not the best and was not the worst, out of the 5 I've had, I'd place this one in the #3 spot.

First, growler is clear (why) the beer is yellow and hazy with raisins (I hope) floating in it. Forms a great looking head of small white bubbles, no lacing, but nice carbonation. OK it looks pretty good.

Aroma is odd, I described it last night as a "weak smelling hefeweizen" -- it has this bouquet of esters that reminds me cloves and bananas, mild overall, grainy.

Beer is thin and bright on the palate, easy drinking overall. The lead off is mildly sweet, the midpalate is yeasty and the finish is dry and oddly bitter. There seems to be a disconnect in the Kvas "style". Some go toward the sweet, some go toward the dry. This one falls more on the dry side but that odd bitterness that I interpret at fusel is just a little too off-putting for me to recommend it as a "good" example. I don't think I'd have it again but I think I'm going to take a break from the Kvas style for a while.

07-17-2011 15:42:04 | More by drabmuh
nitehawk

4.08/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My first taste of a Kvass, I might have passed it over as being an oddity except for an excellent description/story about the beer from the brewer Dan at a tasting at Bocktown; in Robinson, PA.

One must not come into this expecting a normal pale session beer. According to information I looked up about it, this is a truly authentic rendition. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kvass

I must say this is my new favorite summer session refreshing beer. The light hint of lemon mixed with the sugar from the raisins and the yeastyness of the bread mix together to make a very refreshing treat on a hot summer day. The slightly higher than normal carbonation helps with the refreshing aspect.

My guess is this is a drink that is either loved or hated, with few in between.

And of course, always ask for the raisins in the growler. :)

07-02-2011 20:53:45 | More by nitehawk
mmopt

4.35/5  rDev +15.7%

I was fortunate to have this age old beer through a friend's growler. Prior to both tasting and this review I did a quick read on this style and was pleased with its authenticity. I should note this is my first Kvass but it leaves a lot to live up to for the rest. Now on to it….

This pours a very pale yellow, almost like real lemonade in color. There is very little hop aroma, owning up to its ability to be served to younger children in its origins. The smell matched up to the paleness but offered slight hints of its bread core. It has a citrus finish and a drinkability ranking up with cold lemonade on a summer day. To that point, I may have to try that. Glad I was able to add this to my palate.

06-07-2011 17:51:46 | More by mmopt
Hojaminbag

Colorado

I think I should mention that so far Beaver Brewing Growlers haven't held up for even small amounts of time for me, so I would suggest not trading these beers yet (see my IPorterA review). That is really just my opinion though.

Beaver Brewing's Kvass is a surprisingly light color, with a cloudy yellow body. A small, soapy, white head appears and leaves a little bit of lacing behind. Other Kvass that I have seen tend to be darker, in color, with brownish bodies. Not sure if that means anything, but I like how this one looks regardless.

There is a lot of wheat in the aroma and a nice citrus aroma. Light spice smells and some raisin. There might be just a touch of sourness also.

I think this one is my favorite out of the group of Beaver beers that I got to try. A ton of bready wheat makes up the backbone, and it is quite pleasant. The lemony, citrus flavors are very nice and somewhat refreshing. Some raisin and some herbal flavors come through also. A part of me is still convinced there is just a hint of funky sourness in there somewhere, but a part of me thinks it is either in my head or just some twang from the wheat. Whatever it is, it's pretty pleasant.

Light body.

This beer is a winner. Refreshing and low alcohol, this would be a great one to drink all day while doing things out in the sun. Grab this beer if you get a chance.

06-07-2011 00:57:44 | More by Hojaminbag
kbuzz

3.15/5  rDev -16.2%

This drink pours a pale yellow honey color with a small half finger head. Carbonation bubbles are visible although minimal. Dissipate quickly.

The aroma is overwhelmingly yeasty and bready. Faint citrus notes. Almost no hop aroma.

Tastes very doughy/yeasty...there is a citrus aftertaste that really saves it from being completely one-dimensional. Get some raisin taste as well as orange peel.

Mouthfeel is thin. Definitely a light bodied beer. Slight carbonation.

Overall I would say this is moreso a fun and interesting beverage than it is a beer. A unique style for sure. Good on a summer day or if you like to expirement with new styles.

05-15-2011 02:50:44 | More by kbuzz
homebrew311

2.6/5  rDev -30.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A big thanks goes out to TMoney2591 for helping me with my first Kvass tick (probably the last).

A: very cloudy appearance, pale yellow color, no head

S: the yeast is incredibly prominent on the nose with notes of sourdough and sweet potato. Very weird combination of aromas are presented here, but I don't think they add up all that nicely. Somewhat off putting.

T: very tart with notes of lemon, orange, and wheat. The yeast comes in strong just like the nose and adds a funky bready character

MF: high carbonation, light body

O: not a big fan at all, definitely an interesting style of beer, but I must say that I can see why many breweries stay away from this style

05-07-2011 01:58:00 | More by homebrew311
Vdubb86

2.9/5  rDev -22.9%

Served in a snifter

Thanks to TMoney2591 for sharing this beer

I'm fairly certain, I'm gonna be the buzz kill on the reviews for this beer. I've tried many variants of kvass, all of which are Kyle's fault. I hope that this one which is a different take on the style improves the style that is usually mediocre at best.

This beer pours an translucent saffron color with a thick frothy head on the surface. The appearance wasn't what made it unappetizing to me. The sulfurous aroma however was absolutely what I would consider the worst aspect of this beer. There was a lot of bread yeast aroma behind the sulfur as well. The taste was rather bland. I would say it tasted like water with bread yeast in it. Like yeast in luke warm water that you are trying to prep to make homemade bread. The mouthfeel is thin but fine. Overall, I don't think I could ever get into this beer. I'm not sure what everyone was tasting with it, but it sure as heck didn't taste all that great to me.

04-29-2011 20:20:44 | More by Vdubb86
TMoney2591

3.73/5  rDev -0.8%

Served in a tulip glass.

Big thanks to Tedwarhc for hooking me up with this growler!

What better way for the Original Kvass Kick to continue chuggin' along than to revisit the roots of the style? None, say I. Allegedly, the boys at Beaver brewed this in the traditional manner, including leaving it out on the windowsill. Nice. It pours a cloudy sallow topped by about a finger or so of stark white foam. Off-hand, I wouldn't think this was even a kvass, given the general darkness of nearly every other example presented to me. The nose comprises soapy chive, rye bread, rosemary, sage, and coriander. What a slightly odd, though mostly pleasant, spice cabinet odor. The taste is pretty mild, with notes of wheat, light onion, light chive, light fennel, and some very light coriander. A pinch of pepper may or may not have been thrown in for good measure. Honestly, given the description of the ingredients and the process, I expected more of a robust flavor SOMEwhere in here, but it's still pretty nice, if overtly inoffensive. The body is a weirdly hefty-feeling light, with a light moderate carbonation and a kinda watery feel. Overall, a pretty damn nice traditional kvass, a welcome alternative to the sadder, more soda-like varieties that seem to pop up much more often. We need more of these more old-school types 'round here, dammit!

04-18-2011 20:59:01 | More by TMoney2591
DavoleBomb

4.47/5  rDev +18.9%

Big thanks to Tedwarhc for hooking me up with this. This is only my second kvass and the first one made true to procedure. Thus, I have no idea how to rate this, but I'll do my best.

4.0 A: Hazed straw yellow color. Just a touch of white froth that quickly fell.

5.0 S: I'm in utter shock that a fermented beverage that tops out at 1.8% ABV can have this much aroma. Good amount of funkiness that can only be described as garbage-like. Surprisingly not that bready, but that might just be because of the mega-low ABV. Lemon peel and wheat come through well while the raisin adds a strange layer of complexity, but not the way you'd expect. Quite amazing how potent this is.

4.5 T: The taste is not as intensely funky, but still have a good funky kick. The funk this time gets out of the landfill and into the dirt (it's an earthy funkiness). Reasonably gerthy wheat flavor like a berliner on roids. Raisin comes through in the same goofy way as the nose, but works really well. Lemon peel adds a lightly tart extra dimension. Very good.

3.5 M: The mouthfeel is the only thing I'm not crazy about. I think this would be better with a bit more carbonation to combat the light, watery body. Goes down as easy as water though, but with a hell of a lot more enjoyment on the part of the drinker.

4.5 D: If this was still drinkibility, this would be an easy 5. I could drink this all damn day for months. This has a wonderful taste and a completely wonderful an potent nose.

The strangest part about this beer is that it tastes nothing like the East End kvass. Not even a little bit. Both are excellently tasty and indeed I don't think I could choose one if forced to. I would need to have them both.

04-05-2011 23:43:29 | More by DavoleBomb
goblue3509

4.3/5  rDev +14.4%

Pours a hazy straw like color with a tight skim head and a little bit of lace. The aroma is of breadiness and some sweetness. The taste has a nice sourdough breadiness to it, with a hint of sweetness and a bit of grainess. The mouthfeel is moderately carbonated. Overall very solid, true to the style and a very easy very enjoyable drink.

04-03-2011 16:59:02 | More by goblue3509
kimbo33

Got his at Growler sales today at the brewery from Dan. I was kind of surprised from this one, I have tasted a few kvass style beers before and they were uber sour. This was more subtle. Lemon and slight malt are in there. Very easy to drink. the low alcohol probably comes into play here. I could see drinking this in the summer on hot days wehen you are drinking all day. Very cool, glad I tried it.

The raisins in the growler give this a 5 for appearnace.

04-03-2011 02:10:39 | More by kimbo33
IronCitySteve

4.28/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a very light yellowish color, almost like a lemonade. Provides a nice white foam head that quickly dissipates.

S: Some mild hints of bread and yeast along with some raisins (they were put in the growler).

T: A lot stronger then the smell lets on in turns of flavor and taste. Starts off bready/yeasty almost citrusy, in the middle the bready flavors are blended with some light barley (I think) and finishes with some bready and dark fruit (raisins) flavor.

M: Very light and very crisp. Long linger taste left on the palate.

O: I did not know what to expect from the brew, but I must say, I enjoyed it a lot. It is very easy to drink. Would enjoy this on a hot humid day. After reading the style notes, I think this is pretty spot on!

04-02-2011 16:35:44 | More by IronCitySteve