724 - Beaver Brewing Company

Beaver Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Double / Imperial IPA |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: Hojaminbag on 06-16-2011)
Reviews by Stinkypuss:
3.28/5  rDev +36.7%

Beaver Brewing : 724

7 Hops, 2 hour boil, 4 malts.

Pours a dark orange/amber color with a small soapy head and some lace. Aromas of floral hops, mint, caramel and dark bread. In the taste, fairly malty, citrus, hop oils, and some coffee. Theres a twang from the lemony hops, some mineral/metallic elements and a chalky yeast residue that are all slightly detracting from the flavor profile. There is no hint of alcohol. Mainly, mellow roasted malt/coffee flavors and oily hops. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, quite smooth, and coats the palate. Overall, an interesting brew, glad I got to try it. Almost a black IPA.

Stinkypuss, Oct 20, 2011

A - Burn orange, murky...kinda like foamy raw sewage
S - For using all those hops, sure didnt really smell like much.
T - Can I go back to the raw sewage for that one? Rancid. Not sure if infected or meant to taste that way. Pretty much awful. No redeeming flavor qualities.
M - Tried to not keep it in my mouth long enough to tell. The rancid feeling did sit on my tongue for what seemed like weeks though.
O - Had this beer with some friends. Really glad that I was not the one who brought it, as I would have been truly embarrassed. Everyone spit theirs out and the bottle remained mostly untouched. Pretty much the worst thing I have ever tasted.

DrunkenPanther, Oct 13, 2011
1.53/5  rDev -36.3%

22oz bottle, purchased (thanks Mike, I will get my revenge!) at the brewery last week and popped tonight - poured into a modified tulip

A - moderately aggressive pour yields about half an inch of short-lived, tightly packed light tan foam. the beer is burnt orange in color, and also quite hazy.

S - being familiar with Beaver Brewing, if I hadn't already known the basis for this beer, I would have swore they tried to make a peanut butter IPA. completely missing are any semblance of hops outside a faintly grassy, earthy aroma sneaking its way in through the nuttiness.

T - ugh. honestly, and quite literally one of the worst beers I have ever tried. immediately the palette is hit with an attack of stinky, garbage-like, rancid citrus. if you've ever left orange juice out in the sun for a day (dont ask, I have), its slightly more pleasant than this monstrosity. i'm being overtaken by moldy carpet, feet, pinecones and two week old lunchmeat. pretty much devoid of any semblance of malts as well. i can't even wrap my head around the fact that a professional brewery would charge money for this, as I've shamefully tossed a couple batches of my own homebrew that are a million times better. even my burps are making me want to dry heave.

M - the body is just a touch on the dry side, with carbonation a touch soft yet slightly prickly. to be honest, I care not to analyze this any more since that would require me to put more of this vile liquid in my mouth.

O - now, I didn't go out of my way just to blast this beer and the brewery. merely, its intent is to serve as a warning to prospective drinkers. a few of us sampled this last week and I thought it was awful, but the sadistic part of me wanted to try and down a whole bottle by myself. I actually sent a bottle of this out as part of a BIF, and I now feel extremely guilty (they will be receiving one of the exponentially better locally-made IPA's as soon as I can land some). BBC, get your shit together and focus on quality instead of gimmicks.

Stigs, Sep 14, 2011

AWS2111, Jan 24, 2012
1.25/5  rDev -47.9%

Review from notes. Had at a Pittsburgh tasting a bit ago.

22oz bottle split and poured into a Stone taster.

A - Pours a dark orange color, cloudy with a bit of sediment. It slowly builds a 1-finger, tan-colored head with low retention. There are shades of lacing, but not much.

S - Smells oddly like nailpolish or similar to mild rubbing alcohol. I'm also getting hints of freshly mowed grass. Very odd nose indeed. I'm getting a surprising lack of hops besides that, given the 7 different amounts that are in this beer.

T - After my first taste, I don't think this really tastes like much of an IPA at all. It's barely even hoppy besides the off-putting grassiness that runs rampant. It's just watery and a bit of a mess. It also has some hop bitterness without that juicy hop flavor.

M - Mouthfeel is thin-bodied with low carbonation. This is especially watery for an IPA and has a very faint, weak finish. No hop resin stickiness that is a hallmark of the best IPAs.

D/O - Drinkability is exceptionally low. Despite coming in a 22oz bomber and being opened at a tasting of at least 8 people, I still don't think we finished it. Definitely a miss from this newer brewery, and I can only hope their other offerings are vastly superior.

nhindian, Nov 16, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +70.8%

Pours a hazy burnt orange color with a two finger slightly off white head which stays around for a while before becoming a nice skim and leaving rings of lace up and down the glass. The aroma is of citrus fruits and banana's along with a floral and earthy hop characteristic and also I think black tea. The taste starts with a caramel, biscuit, and toastiness from the malts. Then there is a floral and earthy hop flavor with a black tea taste and some bitterness. The mouthfeel is moderately carbonated. Overall I liked the beer I really loved the look and the aroma. The taste keep me interested.

goblue3509, Sep 17, 2011

ejimhof, Mar 23, 2013

mgbickel, Dec 05, 2011
3.28/5  rDev +36.7%

Bomber #92 of 724

A: Pours a deep orangish yellow with a slight haze to it. Provides a thick off white foam head with excellent retention. There is ample amounts of lacing as well.

S: There is some earthy hop scents along with some biscuit, bread and caramel. The malt is definitely more prevalent than the hops.

T: Starts off with an ample amount of hops character. Very bitter. In the middle, the caramel, toast and biscuit come to the forefront really balancing out the 100+ IBUs. Finishes with a nice balance of hops and malt. There is also a little 'metallic' twinge that comes through the which really takes away from the overall flavor. Not sure if it is hard water or not...

M: This is a nicely carbonated brew. The slight hint of metallic flavor takes away from the bitter hop character left on the palate.

O: Another success from Beaver Brewing. Very complex brew that has a lot of flavors that are quite balanced. For whatever reason, there is some sort of odd flavor on the very backend. It does not take away too much from the flavor.

IronCitySteve, Sep 05, 2011
3.53/5  rDev +47.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I'm listing 724 as a IIPA because that's what the brewer called it, but given the choice I might list it as a strong ale. The two styles have so much overlap that it doesn't really matter to me, but this beer will probably garner lower ratings as a IIPA because it is on the malty side of the style.

A slightly cloudy, orange body with a robust off-white head that features fairly good retention and lacing.

The aroma has quite a bit going on, with layers of malt, fruity yeast and hops, in that order.

The flavor leads off with a mix of malt and yeast. Quite a bit of fruity character from the yeast, with light fruits that remind me of apricot and a little bit of generic fruit also. The malt runs the show in this beer. Lots of dry, slightly toasted flavor with a good helping of biscuit. This isn't a sweet beer overall, but there is still a good helping of caramel malt. The hops are all stashed in the finish, with a bit of citrus, a bit more pine and mostly bitterness.

724 has a body that is surprisingly light and smooth.

I'm more of a 412 type of guy, but 724 is fairly solid.

Hojaminbag, Jun 16, 2011