Thomas Creek Stillwater Vanilla Cream Ale - Thomas Creek Brewery

Thomas Creek Stillwater Vanilla Cream AleThomas Creek Stillwater Vanilla Cream Ale

Thomas Creek Brewery visit their website
South Carolina, United States

Cream Ale |  4.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: aracauna on 04-26-2004

Ratings: 157 | Reviews: 73
Reviews by HazardousBrewer:
3.13/5  rDev +0.3%

On tap at Vintage 301 last night,poured a very ;ight lemony yellow with a tight formed 1/2 finger white that was gone quickly.Faint toasted aromas along with a whiff of vanilla but its quite faint.The mouthfeel was nice and creamy and went down smooth,flavors are pretty heavy handed vanilla and some light toastiness almost like a vanilla wafer.Eh it isnt bad for what it is but its not my thing.

3.28/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12 oz bottle poured clear light golden in color with what looks like a high amount of carbonation. Large, sudsy white head is durable. The ho-hum aroma and flavor are weak and too much like a macro lager... albeit with vanilla
M: As indicated visually, this does have high carbonation but sit seems suitable; light body.

O: refreshing but timid.

3.32/5  rDev +6.4%

Review from notes.

A: Pours a light golden color with a small foamy head on top. Decent retention, but not much lacing at all.

S: Rather light, with a but of bready malt and a definite vanilla presence.

T: Similar to the nose, except that the vanilla is more pronounced. It reminds me of cream soda actually. Some bready malt, a bit of spice, and maybe a touch of honey.

M: Light bodied with moderate carbonation. Drinks smooth.

O: Not a bad beer. The vanilla gives it a nice flavor profile, even though I am not a huge cream soda fan. Probably wouldn't have it again though.

1.46/5  rDev -53.2%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Pours a clear piss yellow like cream soda. Two finger, VERY foamy, white head with low retention and some lacing.

Not much on the smell. A very small hint of vanilla on the nose. Other than that it smells like any other cheap beer you'd buy at a gas station. It's pretty repulsing, actually.

Taste is watery. Not really picking up any vanilla. Slightly bitter and not much going on for it. I don't understand the "vanilla ale" name at all.

Mouthfeel is very carbonated. Watery. Again, nothing special.

For this to be a "vanilla ale" it tastes just like any cheap beer you'd buy. Definitely wouldn't seek out/buy again. Only tasted because a buddy had some. If you like cheap beer I guess this is okay. The name is pretty deceiving for what it is.

3.49/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A - gold with a thin lacing of white head

S - cereal grains, faint creaminess

T - vanilla, creamy, cereal grains, sweet graininess

M - medium bodied, well carbonated

This idea had promise. I like the underlying cream ale. I would probably like this a lot more if the vanilla didn't come across as artificial. Ultimately, this is a nice, flavorful-for-the-style, refreshing, lighter offering that will help you through some of the warmer days ahead.

3.53/5  rDev +13.1%

Poured into a pint glass & consumed with Ronzonie. Light straw gold in color, with a fluffy white head. Lightly malty-sweet on the nose; smells pilsner-y. No real vanilla aroma to speak of. Taste is light & crisp, with a bit of vanilla flavor mid-palate. Slightly dry and refreshing. A good, easy drinking ale for the summer season.

2.81/5  rDev -9.9%

Hazy, bright yellow-gold in hue with a smattering of bronze; it is a truly lovely color. White head, at the apex the foam was one finger tall. The bubbles quickly faded to a thin, soapy cap. There was some spotty subsequent lacing. I love how this beer looks; it is youthful and glowing, awesome!

The nose is totally unexpected. I smell lemony citrus and nondescript sweetness. I don’t smell vanilla and I don’t smell any corn. Cream Ale? Fooled me. Moderate potency, sadly at the back I smell soap. The nose is inoffensive but it’s not inviting, in fact I am confused and a little leery.

I taste vanilla. I am not a huge fan of vanilla in beer but this is nicely restrained. However, the vanilla tastes like flavored dish soap. No bitterness, no real hop flavors. It is sweet from start to finish, not much development. Where is the citrus coming from? It doesn’t seem like it arrived here from the hops. Cream Ale? BS, I am calling Thomas Creek’s bluff. The palate is odd. Frankly, it’s not that bad; I just don’t really care for it but I am positive others will. The more I drink the more the vanilla lingers. I don’t need more. If nothing else this was a wacky idea executed well enough, I mean, I didn’t gag. Now that is praise!

Medium/medium-light in body, creamy carbonation, the mouthfeel is pleasant. Unfortunately the aftertaste is tacky sweet and persistent. Maybe more effervescence would help clean my tongue. What on earth would this beer pair with?

Maybe the brewery should swap in some spicy/funky Belgian yeast. That combo might actually work! As is, I can’t rightfully enjoy this beer. It’s too sweet, too one-dimensional… too bad. I am surprised this beer is as good as it is, yet I think it could be so much better. Would a true Cream Ale jell with vanilla? I’ll never know! Thanks timtheenchanta for the bottle.

3.53/5  rDev +13.1%

Served from bottle into a Samuel Smith imperial pint. Pours a nice golden pale yellow with a one-finger white head that quickly subsides to a minimal amount. There was no apparent lacing evident. The aroma was comprised of a slight hop hint and vanilla. The flavor of this beer actually came in three stages in the same succession: First you would get a very light hop flavor that was followed by a note of vanilla, that was then followed by a note of cream upon swallowing. It was light on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was a very interesting brew with multiple flavors coming in as the sip goes along. This is a nice seasonal from Thomas Creek and is very smooth to drink and enjoyable. Worth a try for any cream ale lover.

3.14/5  rDev +0.6%

12 oz. Electric yellow pour with just a small layer of white head.

Herbal grassy aroma with just a faint hint of malt and vanilla. Not sure what this should smell like, but it is kind of macro-esque.

Taste is also kind of macro-esque. Very grassy, itty bitty bread and ittier bittier vanilla. I feel like I've got a little Bud breath after this.

Mouthfeel is light, but a lively almost creamy body.

Extreamely drinkable, just not all that enjoyable flavor wise.

The flavor does come out better as this warms.

2.79/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I was hoping for this beer to have a nice vanilla taste, but I was sadly disappointed. There's maybe a slight bit of a chemical vanilla taste, but it's not strong at all. Actually, the ale had more of a bubble gum like flavor to me, and that's not something I really seek out in beer.

3.23/5  rDev +3.5%

A - very pale gold, thin lace of white head that persists, lots of little bubbles

S - very light, some vanilla, light grain

T - vanilla, very sweet with some bitterness at the back but no typical beer notes

M - medium for such a low ABV

O - a light beer with a twist for warm days, but other than the vanilla, not much going on

3.08/5  rDev -1.3%

Picked up one of the newly labeled bottles the other day and wanted to give it a try. I had this I think last year but did not really remember much about it so I figured I would give it one more shot. Poured into a pilsner glass it was a nice hazy, light yellow color with a good sized three inch high head of white foam. Very nice carbonation profile with rippling bubbles shooting skyward throughout the session. Decent head retention and some good side glass lace.

The aroma was nice and light, not really much of a hint of anything here with the faintest exception of some light vanilla just kissing the nose, mostly light grain and wheat though. The taste was just the same, very light, with a clean, crisp, and well carbonated light body to it. Light hints of malt mixed in with what seemed like an artificial vanilla flavor, not terrible, just not particularly impressive either. Easily session able, I was unsure if there was even alcohol in this one as it came off so light.

Overall not a bad light, outdoor on a hot day type of beer, but to be honest I have had better. Still though not a bad effort and I would not be terribly opposed to trying it again. Decent effort for sure.

3.05/5  rDev -2.2%

A: Pours a completely transparent yellow/straw color that produces a sparkly pure white, fully carbonated head that retains poorly, but leaves some spotty lacing along the glass. Honestly, it looks like a typical macro lager. Wasn't too impressed, but I like Thomas Creek, so I'll stay positive.

S: A whiff of soft vanilla right off the bat. Smells very much like a cream soda. Also, buttery notes follow a massive dose of lactose that provides that creamy nose. Some twangy, metallic-possibly citrusy notes that are pretty faint, but there. Very one dimensional. No hops present.

T: Pretty similar to the nose. A little lighter than I expected, also much more carbonated than I had hoped for. But still nice and easy to drink, session beer for sure if you like the style (I don't).

MF/D: Heavy carbonation, light body for the style, syrupy tasting/lactose finish that lasts a short while.

Not too bad, but not great, I just happened to pick it up because I was one short in my six-pack and wanted to try something different.

3.16/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

A: The beer is clear light yellow in color and has a moderate to high amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a short but dense off white head that has very good retention properties and hardly died down.
S: Light aromas of biscuit malts are present in the nose along with faint bits of vanilla.
T: Much like the smell, the taste has light flavors of biscuity malts along with hints of vanilla.
M: It feels light-bodied and a bit creamy and watery on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is easy to drink but isn't overly flavorful and seems a bit thin on the mouthfeel.

3.33/5  rDev +6.7%

poured from 12oz bottle into pint glass

A-fizzy straw yellow beer with bright white one finger head, whats not to love?

S-almost nothing reminds me of a normal fizzy yellow beer

T- finally something not reminiscent of fizzy yellow beer. This has some vanilla coming through with a hint of honey sweetness

M-some good creaminess in this one

O-better than I expected when I first poured this one and I may even try it again

2.33/5  rDev -25.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A: Pours clear yellow into a glass, two shades brighter than straw. Not much head. Not much to get excited about.

S: The bouquet is faint and floral. No vanilla detected to my nose.

T: Cloying citrus, not much complexity, a finish distinctly reminiscent of lesser American adjunct lagers in its graininess. If vanilla is present, it is very light, not even an undertone.

M: Nothing unexpected here. Average carbonation, slightly on the dry side of the spectrum.

O: Doesn't bear much resemblance to an ale, to me. Much closer to a typical American adjunct lager. Not much here I would want to revisit.

1.5/5  rDev -51.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours like bud light, smells like bud light, tastes like bud light, must be bud light.

3.52/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle pours a mostly clear gold color with a frothy white head. Nice retention and leaves a sheet of foam all around the glass. An impressive looking beer at least.

Nose is honeyed grains, with a hint of vanilla. Pretty standard Cream Ale aromas and is a little on the sweeter side than average. Im surprised the vanilla does not make more of a presence.

Taste is right in line with most cream ales I have had - the malts are light and grainy at best. There is something about cream ales that give it a unique taste - apart from blonde ales...they seem a little sweeter with a fuller body. The vanilla is pleasant, if a little on the light side. It a fairly well done beer, but being a little better than average in a rather uninspiring style category isnt going to garner the highest rankings unfortunately. I would drink this again for sure and if I was looking for a tasty, light-ish beer - this would do nicely.

3.22/5  rDev +3.2%

Pale yellow with a fluffy snow white head. Vanilla and pale malts in the nose. This beer tastes like cream soda with noble hop bittering. Light bodied and fizzy. This is my least favorite of the TCB beers I've tried so far and I'm not sure what beer drinker would enjoy this brew. Forgettable.

3.6/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A - Light sunflower golden color. Average sized, foamy, creamy, smooth, pearl white head. So-so retention leaving just a little ring of lace.

S - A little faint, but sweet corn and malt are strong along with a definite hit of vanilla. A faint spiciness with pretty much no hops present.

T - Similar to the nose but a little stronger. Sweet corn and malt provide the backbone and there is a strong kick of vanilla. The vanilla doesn't taste artificial either (not the best vanilla flavor I've had, but not bad/artificial). Again a very faint hint of spice as well as a touch of breadiness. Somewhat reminiscent of a cream soda.

M - Light body with average carbonation. Thin but slightly smooth.

D - Goes down very easy and not too sweet, in a cloying way at least. Would be able and willing to put down a couple in a sitting.

Notes: Not a bad beer and what you would expect in a vanilla cream ale. Definitely sweet and reminds me of cream soda. Not a lot else going for it though. I enjoyed it, but I don't really know when I would want to drink it.

3.25/5  rDev +4.2%

12 oz bottle poured into a Bruery tulip

A- Clear light gold with a two finger head that leaves a small amount of lacing.

S- Vanilla cream and bready malt. Not overly complex but smells like cream soda.

T- Similar to the smell with vanilla being less noticeable, sweet bready malt and some faint citrus hop notes such as lemon zest.

M- Medium carbonation and light body. Mouthfeel is a little too watered down and was wishing it had a little creamier mouthfeel.

O- While the vanilla is noticeable, there really isn't anything else going on with this beer. The mouthfeel is too watered down which hurt this brew. Not bad, but nothing memorable.

2.5/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I rate this beer a 2.5 out of 5.

1.91/5  rDev -38.8%

This is a bad beer. This is a really bad beer. One of the worst I've had in a long time. It's got a decent enough golden body, but everything is far downhill from there. The aroma is generic, "wet dog", beer, with a huge artificial vanilla note messing everything up. The taste? Ugh. Not good. Not good at all. I can kinda taste the cream ale thing going on. It's not a good cream ale base, I'd take a Genny any day over it. And then you add in that big vanilla note, that big, fake tasting vanilla that doesn't even go with the base beer, and you have a prescription for bad times.

Don't buy this beer. It's not good. Nothing about it works, I had to chug it while it was still cool because I knew there was no way it would get better with temperature. Anderson Valley Summer Solstice does everything this beer is trying to do, but with a million times more aplomb.

3.27/5  rDev +4.8%

I had high hopes on this because I am one of vanilla's biggest fans. I was disappointed.

A- Hazy yellow gold wwith a creamy white head. Little lacing.

S- Sweet malts, Grassy. Slight skunk. Musty. Of course there is a hint of vanilla but not as strong as I wanted. Weak smell. Very faint.

T- Sweet, bready. Pilsner. Weak hops. Cream soda. Real vanilla, but barely taste it. Stronger smell than taste. Skunk on the end.

D- Goes down fairly easy. I keep looking for vanilla and coming up short. Skunk taste makes the drinkability suffer for me.

3.46/5  rDev +10.9%

Presentation: poured into a tulip glass from a brown bottle as pictured.

A: Golden yellow with a thin white head and minimal lacing.

S: Faint vanilla and hop scent.

T&M: Light to medium bodied with moderate to heavy carbonation. Nice light ale taste with mild vanilla flavor that is stronger up front and fades slowly in the background. Dry finish.

Decent beer.