Thomas Creek Stillwater Vanilla Cream Ale - Thomas Creek Brewery

Thomas Creek Stillwater Vanilla Cream AleThomas Creek Stillwater Vanilla Cream Ale

Thomas Creek Brewery visit their website
South Carolina, United States

Cream Ale |  4.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: aracauna on 04-26-2004)
Reviews by Rhynes2:
3.95/5  rDev +25%

Had this while vacationing in South Carolina. Pours a nice light color with little head and no lacing. The taste was of vanilla mostly but subtle honey flavor was also present. Very light malt character with a slight hop bitterness. Well rounded for the most part. The mouthfeel is the one thing i would change. I prefer this flavor to be less carbonated. The one I had was almost fizzy. Other than that it's a pretty good brew and something I would buy again given the chance.

Rhynes2, Oct 12, 2011
3.13/5  rDev -0.9%

On tap at Vintage 301 last night,poured a very ;ight lemony yellow with a tight formed 1/2 finger white that was gone quickly.Faint toasted aromas along with a whiff of vanilla but its quite faint.The mouthfeel was nice and creamy and went down smooth,flavors are pretty heavy handed vanilla and some light toastiness almost like a vanilla wafer.Eh it isnt bad for what it is but its not my thing.

oberon, Jun 11, 2009

Golden32, Apr 01, 2014

jmbraxton, Apr 03, 2012
3.28/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12 oz bottle poured clear light golden in color with what looks like a high amount of carbonation. Large, sudsy white head is durable. The ho-hum aroma and flavor are weak and too much like a macro lager... albeit with vanilla
M: As indicated visually, this does have high carbonation but sit seems suitable; light body.

O: refreshing but timid.

chinchill, May 04, 2013

ltdantheman, Apr 26, 2013
3.33/5  rDev +5.4%

Review from notes.

A: Pours a light golden color with a small foamy head on top. Decent retention, but not much lacing at all.

S: Rather light, with a but of bready malt and a definite vanilla presence.

T: Similar to the nose, except that the vanilla is more pronounced. It reminds me of cream soda actually. Some bready malt, a bit of spice, and maybe a touch of honey.

M: Light bodied with moderate carbonation. Drinks smooth.

O: Not a bad beer. The vanilla gives it a nice flavor profile, even though I am not a huge cream soda fan. Probably wouldn't have it again though.

mdaschaf, Aug 16, 2011
1.44/5  rDev -54.4%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Pours a clear piss yellow like cream soda. Two finger, VERY foamy, white head with low retention and some lacing.

Not much on the smell. A very small hint of vanilla on the nose. Other than that it smells like any other cheap beer you'd buy at a gas station. It's pretty repulsing, actually.

Taste is watery. Not really picking up any vanilla. Slightly bitter and not much going on for it. I don't understand the "vanilla ale" name at all.

Mouthfeel is very carbonated. Watery. Again, nothing special.

For this to be a "vanilla ale" it tastes just like any cheap beer you'd buy. Definitely wouldn't seek out/buy again. Only tasted because a buddy had some. If you like cheap beer I guess this is okay. The name is pretty deceiving for what it is.

dowen17, Aug 04, 2013
3.5/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A - gold with a thin lacing of white head

S - cereal grains, faint creaminess

T - vanilla, creamy, cereal grains, sweet graininess

M - medium bodied, well carbonated

This idea had promise. I like the underlying cream ale. I would probably like this a lot more if the vanilla didn't come across as artificial. Ultimately, this is a nice, flavorful-for-the-style, refreshing, lighter offering that will help you through some of the warmer days ahead.

tdm168, May 02, 2013
3.55/5  rDev +12.3%

Poured into a pint glass & consumed with Ronzonie. Light straw gold in color, with a fluffy white head. Lightly malty-sweet on the nose; smells pilsner-y. No real vanilla aroma to speak of. Taste is light & crisp, with a bit of vanilla flavor mid-palate. Slightly dry and refreshing. A good, easy drinking ale for the summer season.

branimal9, May 24, 2010
2.78/5  rDev -12%

Hazy, bright yellow-gold in hue with a smattering of bronze; it is a truly lovely color. White head, at the apex the foam was one finger tall. The bubbles quickly faded to a thin, soapy cap. There was some spotty subsequent lacing. I love how this beer looks; it is youthful and glowing, awesome!

The nose is totally unexpected. I smell lemony citrus and nondescript sweetness. I don’t smell vanilla and I don’t smell any corn. Cream Ale? Fooled me. Moderate potency, sadly at the back I smell soap. The nose is inoffensive but it’s not inviting, in fact I am confused and a little leery.

I taste vanilla. I am not a huge fan of vanilla in beer but this is nicely restrained. However, the vanilla tastes like flavored dish soap. No bitterness, no real hop flavors. It is sweet from start to finish, not much development. Where is the citrus coming from? It doesn’t seem like it arrived here from the hops. Cream Ale? BS, I am calling Thomas Creek’s bluff. The palate is odd. Frankly, it’s not that bad; I just don’t really care for it but I am positive others will. The more I drink the more the vanilla lingers. I don’t need more. If nothing else this was a wacky idea executed well enough, I mean, I didn’t gag. Now that is praise!

Medium/medium-light in body, creamy carbonation, the mouthfeel is pleasant. Unfortunately the aftertaste is tacky sweet and persistent. Maybe more effervescence would help clean my tongue. What on earth would this beer pair with?

Maybe the brewery should swap in some spicy/funky Belgian yeast. That combo might actually work! As is, I can’t rightfully enjoy this beer. It’s too sweet, too one-dimensional… too bad. I am surprised this beer is as good as it is, yet I think it could be so much better. Would a true Cream Ale jell with vanilla? I’ll never know! Thanks timtheenchanta for the bottle.

bditty187, Feb 15, 2006

atlbravsrno1, Sep 04, 2014
3.25/5  rDev +2.8%

shoretaxi, Jul 04, 2014
3.55/5  rDev +12.3%

Served from bottle into a Samuel Smith imperial pint. Pours a nice golden pale yellow with a one-finger white head that quickly subsides to a minimal amount. There was no apparent lacing evident. The aroma was comprised of a slight hop hint and vanilla. The flavor of this beer actually came in three stages in the same succession: First you would get a very light hop flavor that was followed by a note of vanilla, that was then followed by a note of cream upon swallowing. It was light on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was a very interesting brew with multiple flavors coming in as the sip goes along. This is a nice seasonal from Thomas Creek and is very smooth to drink and enjoyable. Worth a try for any cream ale lover.

thagr81us, May 25, 2010

WillyMac, Nov 21, 2011
3.15/5  rDev -0.3%

12 oz. Electric yellow pour with just a small layer of white head.

Herbal grassy aroma with just a faint hint of malt and vanilla. Not sure what this should smell like, but it is kind of macro-esque.

Taste is also kind of macro-esque. Very grassy, itty bitty bread and ittier bittier vanilla. I feel like I've got a little Bud breath after this.

Mouthfeel is light, but a lively almost creamy body.

Extreamely drinkable, just not all that enjoyable flavor wise.

The flavor does come out better as this warms.

Bung, Jun 07, 2010

KevinGordon, Oct 15, 2013
3.25/5  rDev +2.8%

Cloaked_Phantom, Jul 19, 2014

sluggo013, Jul 18, 2013

crownrl28, Jun 14, 2014
2.79/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I was hoping for this beer to have a nice vanilla taste, but I was sadly disappointed. There's maybe a slight bit of a chemical vanilla taste, but it's not strong at all. Actually, the ale had more of a bubble gum like flavor to me, and that's not something I really seek out in beer.

iheartmyTHO, Jun 30, 2014
3.2/5  rDev +1.3%

A - very pale gold, thin lace of white head that persists, lots of little bubbles

S - very light, some vanilla, light grain

T - vanilla, very sweet with some bitterness at the back but no typical beer notes

M - medium for such a low ABV

O - a light beer with a twist for warm days, but other than the vanilla, not much going on

Vec2267, May 26, 2013
3.08/5  rDev -2.5%

Picked up one of the newly labeled bottles the other day and wanted to give it a try. I had this I think last year but did not really remember much about it so I figured I would give it one more shot. Poured into a pilsner glass it was a nice hazy, light yellow color with a good sized three inch high head of white foam. Very nice carbonation profile with rippling bubbles shooting skyward throughout the session. Decent head retention and some good side glass lace.

The aroma was nice and light, not really much of a hint of anything here with the faintest exception of some light vanilla just kissing the nose, mostly light grain and wheat though. The taste was just the same, very light, with a clean, crisp, and well carbonated light body to it. Light hints of malt mixed in with what seemed like an artificial vanilla flavor, not terrible, just not particularly impressive either. Easily session able, I was unsure if there was even alcohol in this one as it came off so light.

Overall not a bad light, outdoor on a hot day type of beer, but to be honest I have had better. Still though not a bad effort and I would not be terribly opposed to trying it again. Decent effort for sure.

mikesgroove, Jul 03, 2008

Chugs13, Jun 03, 2013
3.05/5  rDev -3.5%

A: Pours a completely transparent yellow/straw color that produces a sparkly pure white, fully carbonated head that retains poorly, but leaves some spotty lacing along the glass. Honestly, it looks like a typical macro lager. Wasn't too impressed, but I like Thomas Creek, so I'll stay positive.

S: A whiff of soft vanilla right off the bat. Smells very much like a cream soda. Also, buttery notes follow a massive dose of lactose that provides that creamy nose. Some twangy, metallic-possibly citrusy notes that are pretty faint, but there. Very one dimensional. No hops present.

T: Pretty similar to the nose. A little lighter than I expected, also much more carbonated than I had hoped for. But still nice and easy to drink, session beer for sure if you like the style (I don't).

MF/D: Heavy carbonation, light body for the style, syrupy tasting/lactose finish that lasts a short while.

Not too bad, but not great, I just happened to pick it up because I was one short in my six-pack and wanted to try something different.

scottyshades, Aug 20, 2009