Thomas Creek Up The Creek - Thomas Creek Brewery

South Carolina, United States

Beer added by: khiasmus on 06-03-2007

3.56/5  rDev -4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I am thoroughly confused by this beer. It does not match any expectation I had of an IPA.

Appearance (4.00) - 12oz bottle to a Matilda glass. This is the darkest IPA I've seen thus far. Dark red brown - like a cherry finish on maple. Pours with a half finger head that moves quick. Really a gorgeous color. It is not cloudy at all. Lacing is thin but nice and limited to where the head was. Wish I had a camera.

Smell (3.50) - Roasted hops on the front straight away. Woody. Chocolates also present. Also hints of orange.

Taste (3.75) - The most prevalent element is malt. Roasted malts with a pretty big alcohol bite. Not very complex. You have to look for the hops and it only really comes in at the end of the body. Aside from the bite, smooth. Hints of spice on the finish which lingers around with the bite.

Mouthfeel (3.25) - Theres a warming feel at the back of my throat, like I'm drinking a scotch. Its definitely on the thick side for an IPA. Lips are left very sticky. Not the thirst quenching crunch you'd expect in an IPA.

Overall (3.25) - This really reminds me of a good scotch ale to be honest. (a strong Robert the Bruce comes to mind) I don't know what to think because the bottle says "Sink the Status Quo" and well, they've done that - It's unlike any IPA I've ever had. If it was a scotch ale, I'd think it was pretty good, but I have absolutely no idea where this fits in on the IPA scale. Looking at their website, it doesn't really match the description to me - not hop heavy, not really what I think as drinkable, and the alcohol is not that well hidden.

Its really not a bad beer, just not what I think it should be if they're going to call it an extreme IPA. As other reviewers said, I would rank it higher if it were a different style.

2.75/5  rDev -25.9%

3.8/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours as if raspberry syrup were added. Borderline dark ruby and brown. Little head. Leaves plenty of ring lace. In between rings is plenty of spots.

First thought on the smell is that this is a perfumed laden brew. Sweet and floral but without the hop notes I would expect.

Strong brandy-like presence. Sweet, syrupy and port flavored. Low bitterness--the finish is quite malty. The hop which shows up is only there as a counterbalance. If I were to guess the style blindly, I'd think Doppelbock or Barley Wine. Alcohol is is strong but not dominating. Thick body and lowly carbonated.

3.5/5  rDev -5.7%

3.25/5  rDev -12.4%

3.44/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked this up in Jersey City recently, along with the Class Five IPA. While that beer was weaker than I anticipated, this turned out to be the other way around. Not only in the alcohol department, but in the sweetness. Like so many others have alluded to, this felt like a Barleywine from start to finish. It wasn't that I didn't enjoy this but this felt like it was categorized wrong and not hoppy enough to be a true Double/Imperial IPA.

The pour to this was a fairly deep brown with a mild tan head, and hardly any lacing to be seen. Not a lot of carbonation to be seen here and the aroma was a bit weak as well. Lots of Barleywine sweetness and caramel in the nose to balance out a strong and somewhat balanced mouthfeel. there was a hint of citrus and earthy hops underneath the booze but this felt quite strong from the first sip and the warming aspect of the booze never let up. There was just a hint of papaya in the back to help ease the molasses and alcohol that dominate the taste of this beer.

Yes, this was strong but it never detracted from how I felt about this beer or the mouthfeel of it. Hopheads will be disappointed at this since there wasn't any strong bitterness or dry-hopped notes to this but on its own, this was fine. If this was re-categorized as a Barleywine, I'd edit my ratings and moved it up a notch, since I certainly wouldn't mind having this again!

3.25/5  rDev -12.4%