Orange Blossom Pilsner² (Squared) - Thomas Creek Brewery

Orange Blossom Pilsner² (Squared)Orange Blossom Pilsner² (Squared)

Thomas Creek Brewery visit their website
South Carolina, United States

American Double / Imperial Pilsner |  11.00% ABV

(Beer added by: paulthebeerguru on 03-03-2008)
Reviews by AlexJ:
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Golden amber with a thin sizzling white head that quickly forms a thin ring.

Aroma is amped up honey, golden fruit, musky apricot, and strong alcohol.

Flavor likewise. Massive honey overshadows the light fruit, orange, and musk notes. Really much more like a Braggot or fizzy mead.

Body is big, sticky, and smooth. The sweetness and strong boozey alcohol limits drinkability, but it does taste good. Definately something to share and sip on.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Their slogan on this one is "half the water".

Pours dark for a pilsner, more of an amber, with a short-lived head. Not suprising considering it's an 11% pils.

I think they achieved what they were going for here, i'm just not sure how much I like it. The orange blossom honey comes across in a really clean way. Not a whole lot going on besides that. The alcohol is hidden in a creepy way because it's so light tasting. The body is a little syrupy and the carbonation low, which gives away the alcohol more than the taste. It's what I would call "a bang for your buck beer". Not great but if you don't really like the taste of craft beer and you want a cheap buzz, look no further.

2.5/5  rDev -25.4%

Ahhh, I'm glad I saw the listing for Orange Blossom Pilsner from Shipyard because only upon looking that up did I realize that what I have in front of me is OBP2!

It pours a clear (I can see my fingerprints through the glass) golden-amber body beneath a short lived head of white. Lacing is limited to spots.

The aroma expresses sweet bready malt and - you guessed it - honey. No hops are present, and probably for good reason as I think they'd interfere; but as it warms some alcohol becomes clearly present.

In the mouth it's creamy-smooth and malty with a restrained carbonation. It just leaves a swirl of zest on the tongue as it goes. Quite nice.

The flavor is sweetish, to be sure, but I think that's to be expected. The honey is clearly present, and much more predominant than it is in the aroma. Alcohol keeps it in check, helping to dry it in the finish, and only a minimal amount of hop bitterness is needed (and present).

As to drinkability, I enjoyed it quite well. One serving, however, was my limit. It's fairly unique though, and interesting. So I guess the question is, would I buy more of these? Yes, I think so. It's charming in a way... a bit of a sipper, but pretty rich and entertaining.

3.18/5  rDev -5.1%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a golden orange color with an off-white head that possesses pretty decent lacing qualities. The aroma is very sweet with a lot of honey and just a touch of malt and alcohol with not much in the way of hops to note. The taste is very sweet and cloying with a lot of honey flavors. Overall, there is just too much sweet honey flavors, but I guess that was the point of this beer. Just not really my thing, a little too sweet for my taste. Overall, OBP 2 is not a bad beer, but not something I would purchase again.

2.98/5  rDev -11%

Huge thanks to csmiley for the bottle!

Orange Blossom Pilsner Squared pours a copper color. It’s mostly clear. Definitely has an orange tint when held to light. A soft, white head tops it off. It only stands about a finger tall. Retention was definitely short, and lacing was rather light. Probably too much abv for it to survive.

The nose is not very good. It’s a little lacking in strength. The first whiff smells quite medicinal. Alcohol comes through loud and clear. No big shock there. It’s an 11% abv Pilsner after all. There is a light orange scent. Honey comes through as well. It’s a little sweet smelling. It smells a bit grainy and earthy. All in all, it’s just okay. Not very good.

The flavor is very average. It’s a little earthy and grainy up front. I’m definitely getting Pilsner malt. There’s a bit of a sweet flavor, but not as much as you might expect. There is an orange flavor, but it’s much more subtle than it should be. Honey seems to come through a bit stronger. It works okay with the malt flavor, but not great. Alcohol is strong in the mix. It’s definitely on the boozy side. Perhaps a little warm. Finishes with a mix of grainy notes and honey.

The body is medium. Carbonation is dialed down pretty nicely. It doesn’t have a bad feel, but it’s not quite smooth. Nonetheless, this is one of its stronger attributes. Drinkability is rather limited. The flavor isn’t great and it’s big. Very big. Too big….

Orange Blossom Pilsner Squared isn’t very good. It’s okay at best. Frankly, the orange and honey flavors just don’t work well with the Pilsner malt base. It’s also too big and too boozy. 11% abv is far too much for this one. As a novelty, I guess it’s interesting and perhaps worth a try. Stick with a single bottle if you can.

3.78/5  rDev +12.8%

Pours amber with a nice, yet quickly dissipating head.

Smells of sweet bread that fades into pineapple Lifesavers. Interresting.

Cherry Lifesavers followed by honey, sweet bread, caramel malt, alcohol. Strange, but good.

The feel is thick and syrupy with light prickly carbonation.

A sipper, and fairly pleasant. Sweet and good for dessert.

3.2/5  rDev -4.5%

Had this served from a bottle at Fifty brews in Orlando. Must say I prefer the original much more. This beer smells amazing but its taste is over the top. It feels syrupy in the mouth and is beyond sweet. It almost tastes like a mead not a beer. Overall this would not be a choice as despite the high alcohol content the level of sweetness is just too much.

2.8/5  rDev -16.4%

I'm a little off-put by something 11-pct ABV calling itself a pilsner.. but oh well.

On the the beer at hand....
I wasn't sure whether I wanted to pour this thing down a pilsner glass or the Duvel tulip or wine glass I use for many high-gravity beers. I split the decision. Most of the pour went into the pilsner glass but I saved probably 4-5 oz for

It pours a rich, honeyed amber-gold. Like most pilsners it is filtered and completely transparent. The clarity and the gorgeous color make for a really nice looking beer.

I got more smell out of the wine glass sample. The smell I got surprised me a little. If I didn't know what I was dealing with I might have thought I was smelling a Belgian Golden Ale. The OPB2 had that same combination of spiciness, fruitiness and sweetness (and lack of hops) that you get from the aroma of many Belgian Golds. It smelled nice enough, just a little surprising.

The taste..?
A little too rich. It did not resemble a pilsner at all. Like the smell, if this had to compare to anything it would a Belgian Golden ale. The 11-pct alcohol was slightly apparent, adding a little spiciness, but otherwise well hidden. The body is very full and rich. Somewhat sweet in, again, a way that reminds the drinker of a Belgian Golden. It is an interesting beer but not quite my style. It lacks all the hoppy, crispness Pilsners are known for and it definately a slow sipping beer, not an easy drinker. Some people might really like it, others might find it a little too big for its britches.

I was tempted to call this a C+ but I think I will go with B- on this beer. I'm glad it exists, it is a fun experiment, and I think it could certainly appeal to some people. The problem with it is that it is a little off-balance, not much of a pilsner at all and the crowd it might appeal to (Belgian ale lovers) might not ever think of trying an orange honey lager from Florida.
It might pair really well with some caramel or apple pie, acting almost like a muscat dessert wine would.

Now that I think about it, maybe I should not be surprised that this Florida lager resembled a Belgian Ale so much. The yeast, a defining quality of many Belgian beers, would be totally different but one key similarity they share the addition of a non-malt sugar source for the yeast to feed on. Many Belgian beers add brewers sugars, this lager used fresh honey, so I can see how the resulting taste (after fermentation) might be similar

3.1/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

My first gander into Imperial Pilsners. At 11% this beer should be boozy, but it's not. The mouthfeel is where this beer excels, and it where it wanes is its lack of hop character. Definitely a nice sipper, a little sweet for my current palate, but the lingering honey, orange, and cream soda notes are well executed. I've never tried the original -OBP, so I can't compare it.

3.4/5  rDev +1.5%

12 oz bottle at 45 degrees into a snifter.

A: It pours a transluscent dark red color with some orange hues and not even a semblance of a head.

S: Orange, honey, and mild pilsner malt.

T: Orange, honey, and mild pilsner malt; shocking. It tastes good but it has the complexity of Kool-Aid.

M: The body is medium-thick with a small amount of carbonation and no noticeable alcohol heat.

D: This goes down too easily and is most similar to a mild-flavored and weaker bodied wheatwine.

Pours a dark orange. minimal white head that dissipates quickly.

Aroma is faint, with some orange and sugar notes.

Candied sweetness, but you do get some of the orange blossom. You feel the alcohol, but not much taste of it.

Slightly syrupy, and slick. It's a bit of a mess on the palate.

I'm curious as to the point of this beer. The viscosity and alcohol completely ruin any chance of pilsner crispness and refreshing qualities. Not everything works if you "Imperialize" it, and this is a shining example.

2.1/5  rDev -37.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Well, it looked intriguing on the shelf. I thought Orange Blossom Pilsner Squared would be more like an Imperial Pilsner, not a weakly hopped, honey bomb.

Poured out of the bottle pretty well, with a nice dark amber body and one and a half finger head.

This is where things started going down hill. Smells like honey and lots of it. A bit of a floral aroma, also. Not much hops.

Way too sweet for me. I was hoping for a nice, refreshing hop-bomb, with a hint of honey. I got the opposite. Almost tastes like corn syrup. Not very satisfying at all.

Mouthfeel is okay. The high ABV is masked quite well, due impart to the overwhelming sweetness.

Overall drinkability is rather poor, due to the taste. I'm glad i only purchased one single twelve ounce bottle. This will probably be a drainpour, joining the ranks of Bell's Cherry Stout.

2.65/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I had seen this one around for a long time, but just never got around to trying it. Decided to pull it out yesterday afternoon and give it a whirl. Served chilled and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 01/30/2010.

The pour was alright. Deep orange and honey color amber with minimal head and lacing. Seems to be more carboantion then I would noramlly expect from such a strong beer. Aroma was faint, honey, alcohol, hints of grape skins and citrus. Nothing really bowling me over here thats for sure. Even warming just brings out more of the same. Each sip was like a chore after about five minutes. Syrupy and hot, the honey was practically unnoticable and what was left was just too strong and overpowering with a slick feel and not enough depth to make it work.

Not sure where they were trying to go with this one, but it did not work well for me.

3.53/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12-oz. bottle into my Terrapin pint glass.

Appearance: Deep copper, or, more accurately, a rich honey color. Rather thin, whitish head and no lacing; with a thicker head, this could have looked really excellent. Good as is, though.

Smell: Honey and alcohol. 11% alcohol... honey pilsner... I guess it follows, right? I would have liked something else too, though, but with a beer of this sort, I'm not sure what.

Taste: Again, honey and alcohol. Noticing a trend? This beer does exactly what it sets out to do, which is a) taste like honey, and b) get you drunk. As a matter of fact, though, the honey taste isn't overwhelming; it isn't too rich. The alcoholic taste nearly overpowers it, actually. I'm trying hard to detect other flavors here, but in vain. Maybe some faint malt, but not much.

Mouthfeel: Decently thick and carbonated. It's not as thick as a honey liqueur, like Baerenjaeger, but it works.

Drinkability: Did I mention this has 11% alcohol per volume? Well, if I didn't, it has 11% alcohol per volume. This isn't a weak beer. Also, it tastes like honey; did I mention that? I don't have as much of a taste now for sweet beers as I did three years ago, but this is still quite enjoyable, and if I had the tolerance for it, I might - might! - have another. For now, one suits me fine.

A solid beer; I've never had anything quite like it, and I've had a lot of different beers. Definitely worth trying.

3.55/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: clear honey. No head to speak of, a wispy off white ring, but hey, it's 11%.
Smell: sweet and malty, not very assertive.
Taste: as the nose predicts. Sweet and malty, but not a lot happening. Tasty and pleasant but not anything grand.
Mouthfeel: pretty thick and chewy.
Overall: tasty and pleasant, but again nothing grand.

Orange Blossom Pilsner² (Squared) from Thomas Creek Brewery