OBP Toasted Coconut Porter - Thomas Creek Brewery

Beer added by: mikesgroove on 08-16-2010

Ratings: 94 | Reviews: 24
Reviews by silverking:
3.22/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

12 ounce bottle, best before dating etched on the bottle 09-06-13, purchased and consumed in Florida during a mini vacation visiting granny

Pours darker brown, medium khaki head, moderate in size and retentive prowess. leaves moderate bits of lace.

Lite sugars on the nose is about all I get.

Not on love with this stuff...over carbonated and thin - not getting much coconut,dark malts and cola are what comes to mind...this ones a mess.

3.71/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottles dated best by Sept. 2013 consumed on 2 days in April 2013

Pours clear dark mahogany with a magnificent, durable, creamy tan head.
Leaves a splendid coating of lace.

Aroma: an appealing, sweet and fairly well-balanced mix of toasted coconut and malts with hints of cinnamon and vanilla. The taste is similar, being a bit more sweet than ideal.

Excellent creamy feel with good medium carbonation, but a tad too thin.

O: Well-done Thomas Creek.

4.25/5  rDev +28.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - dark brown with a short brown head that has good retention

S - roasted malts, toasted coconut, some coffee

T - caramel, toasted coconut, roasted malts, chocolate, coffee-like bitterness

M - medium bodied, well carbonated

This is a rather good beer. I wasn't expecting much because the bottle said "Brewed for Orange Blossom Pilsner LLC". I must say I was impressed. First, the coconut is actually noticeable and doesn't get overpowered. Second, the rest of the flavors come together to form a solid porter in their own right. This beer actually has more depth and complexity than I had anticipated. This is probably worth checking out if you see it around.

3.47/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is an interesting take on a style I love but it showed very little life with a very light coloring and little to no mountable head.

The scent was absent of coconut but a nice dry chocolate and Smokey barley aroma was easily detectable.

The flavor was mostly a smokey, roasted barley and a light touch of chocolate but there seemed no sweetness or coconut. The taste I did get was nice and easily drinkable.

The feel was exceptionally crisp and seemed a summer take on a porter I just wished the coconut would have been more evident.

4.19/5  rDev +26.6%

My wife picked this one out. Poured into a pint glass from a bottle from a 6-pack purchased for $9.99 from City Beverage in W-S. Some have said that the coconut is absent from both aroma and taste, but we discovered it in both. The aroma is very roasty as a good porter should be. The toased coconut is there, although subdued. Also, a slight coffee note. The appearance is a used motor oil black with not quite a finger head, and minimal lacing. The taste is quite nice, very smooth. More coconut here, but still subtle, and lots of roasted malts. Overall, a great brew that my wife and I enjoyed very much and would reccommend should you stumble across it. Prost!

3.01/5  rDev -9.1%

Poured from the bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Beer pours a cloudy dark brown color with some red when the light hits the edges. There is a half finger finger of off white head that leaves a nice layer.

Smell: Very mild with a hint of caramel sweetness and a touch of roast. I'm getting cocoanut, but it's not strong enough to be sure I'm not imagining it.

Taste: A bit too watery, not a very bold porter. Some roast from the malt along with a touch of cocoanut. Not enough malt sweetness here. The finish is watery with some roast.

Mouthfeel: The body is on the thin side with tons of carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: I rated this as high as I did because the flavor it does have is pretty good, it's just way too mellow.

4.41/5  rDev +33.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Dark amber/ruby brown pour from 12 oz bottle into SAPP with thin beige head; chocolate and coconut aromas - coconut becomes more pronounced as liquid warms; lite porter/malt with coconut flavors; lite, crisp mouthfeel; very good, lite and refreshing, and there is coconut here!

3.4/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Sam Adams perfect pint.

Pours a deep brown with a finger and a half of head. The aroma is full of roasted coffee and semi-sweet chocolate, with only a hint of the namesake coconut. The taste is the definition of "pretty good." It's a little watery all around, but offers up flavors of coffee, roasted malts, some grains, and just the slightest touch of the namesake coconut - to the point to where if the label didn't mention it, I'm not sure if I'd pick it up, instead denoting it as merely "something a little different". The mouthfeel is fairly light for a porter, but so are the flavors, and the drinkability is good. It really just is a "pretty good" beer. I enjoyed it, but would I really want another one? Probably not.

3.48/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass. Pours a very dark amber/brown color with deep ruby highlights when held up to the light. Colorwise it is certainly a bit too light for a lorter methinks. Slightly off-white/tan head is about 1/2-2/3 of an inch thick when first poured. Settles to a medium sized ring lining the inside of the glass along with some slight bits of foam settling on the beer's surface. Pretty good lacing. Aromas of coconut, vanilla, a hint of cinnamon, and some caramel malt. The aromas need to be stronger overall though, to my nose there just wasn't much there. Flavors of vanilla and coconut along with what could be hints of chocolate and coffee followed by some caramel malt notes. The flavors do come more as the beer sits and warms up a bit. No real discernible hop flavors to be found here. Has a crisp, frothy and creamy, light to medium bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Too thin bodied for a porter for sure. Not bad, but needs improvement.

Eric

3.46/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I was expecting a little more...

A-Dark brown with a weak head
S-Almost none, I smelled the alcohol with slight caramel malt
T-Subtle coconut, malty, with an after-taste of coffee
M-Carbonation is good, nothing of note really
O-Nothing to write home about, but a decent porter

Enjoyed this 12oz bottle out of a pint glass.

A: Pours a dark black hue with a 1-finger white head that quickly dissipates into a wispy lace leaving no trail down the glass.

S: Chocolate malt aroma with hints of toasted malts.

T: Similar to the smell there a good chocolate and toasted malt aroma that is sweet and smooth.

M: Medium body and medium carbonation.

O: Delicious porter – but where is the coconut?

3.52/5  rDev +6.3%

I am confused as to the true purveyor of this brew. OBP (Orlando Brewing Partners) contracted to Thomas Creek? Th. Creek outright? Or is OBP now just a service mark/branding of Th. Creek? Oh well, the beer is not bad.

A - It pours a cola-brown and is capped with a small, fizzy, and short-lived head. It looks inoffensive, certainly.

S - The nose a little bit roasty, and maybe a tad coconut-y (power of suggestion can't be discounted though). It is also serviceably Porter-ish. Forgive the vagueness, please; I have no adequate trivialities to spew at this moment.

T - The taste is quite simply good. It is not tremendously complex, it does not taste world-class or 'rare', but it does not seem to aspire in those directions anyway. It is just beer, and it is a dark roasty beer, and it is easy to drink. No need to hate.

M - Not very big, but, again, inoffensive.

D - Easy drinking beer = good drinkability.

1.15/5  rDev -65.3%

Stay away from this "beer"!

2.75/5  rDev -16.9%

Just like another review said, it poured with soda-like fizz. In fact, identical to a coke in color and fizziness. Head disappeared quickly. It feels like a soda too it is so carbonated. Nose is not very strong smells vanilla-ish. Taste is similar. Not too impressed.

2.67/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

A - Caramel brown, with hints of amber/red along the edges of the glass. Minimal head that quickly recedes.
S - Minimal smell, a bit of toasty malt coming through, no coconut at all
T - Malty, toasty flavor. Hints of coconut, but nothing coming through strongly
M - Highly carbonated, on par with a soda
O - Not quite what I expected, might fit better as a brown ale than a porter. Not thick or creamy in any way, not terribly dark, and very little coconut coming through

4.2/5  rDev +26.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Great smell taste is easy and smooth

2.33/5  rDev -29.6%

Coconut Porter eh? Could have fooled me. I tasted no coconut at all. Just to be sure, I had my wife, who absolutely hates coconut and can detect the slightest coconut flavor, try it. She said it tasted like watery coffee. That's pretty much what I got from it too. It would be great to have a local brewery pump something out like MBC Toasted Coconut Porter, but this one falls miserably short of that. If you're going to have a coconut porter, make it with enough coconut to taste, even if it's just a background note. Pass on this one.

3.56/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Oxblood with loose taupe head.
Toasty nutty malts with some milk chocolate.
Whole wheat toast, an acidic malt bite, cocoa nibs and some earthy hops.
Vague (imagined?) coconut finish and dry roasty linger.
Light, clingy, fizzy, a bit thin.

It says brown porter but it might as well say English brown. No hops, no coconut. Sweetens up and gets more "portery" as it warms.

Another easy-drinking version of a dark beer by a Sun Belt brewery. Maui need not worry.

1.66/5  rDev -49.8%

Holy Moses this stuff is wretched.

First, there is no "there" there. It pours with the fizz of a soda, a dark watery bubble fest. But where's the coconut? Not on the nose, nor the first sip. Maybe if you deep-inhale its there? Or maybe i just wanted it to be. Caramel and smoke (hints more than assertions) are more chemical than flavorful.

I felt the need to apologize to my sink as I bid this one farewell.

4.33/5  rDev +30.8%

I may have a new favorite beer. I had been wanting to try a coconut beer, so I picked this up real quick when I saw it.

It doesn't have a lot of coconut flavor, but I was okay with that. It has an overall great porter taste. Goes down smooth, not quite creamy though. I'm not sure what the 'toasted' part means either.

I love the appearance. A nice darkness, like a chocolate stout. And a good lacey but foamy head that sticks around the whole time.

I will definitely buy this again

3.68/5  rDev +11.2%

Purchased a growler of this from Greens in Columbia on Piney Grove. Only $6.99 for the whole growler so it was worth a shot.

Pours exactly like Coke or Pepsi; dark color color with tea colored highlight, highly fizzy, head disappears as if it were trying to flee from the cops after robbing a 7-11, and there is no head. No lacing either. Perhaps the coconut oils make this one look like Pepsi?

Aroma was quite pleasing for a porter. Rather on the roasted side, hence the American classification I suppose. Robust and roasty with not a hint of coconut (or any nut for that fact).

I suppose I get a little coconut in the flavor but I am not sure. It doesnt taste like coconut but there is something amiss underneath all of the robust and roasty grains, which I love by the way. Maybe I have Coke on the mind but this seems to have a bit of cola flavor too.

Who knows what the hell is going on here. All I know is that this is a decent coconut porter without the coconut. Very thin body and dry as a virgin, but not a bad American porter. Drinks easily enough and I cant imagine this growler would be too much.

3.08/5  rDev -6.9%

[Suggested Glassware: Nonic Pint]

The pour was a murky dark brown with a large (2-3 finger) light brown creamy head that reduced steadily, down to a thin film and large collar with good streaky lacing.

The aroma was kind of sweet with a definite lactose sugar scent with some roasted grain malts and a doughy yeast and had notes of vanilla, milk chocolate, coffee and a very, very light hint of coconut.

The taste was lightly malty and a tad sweet with a decent chocolate presence early on, and then became slightly milky with a does of coffee, a bit of vanilla and a hardly noticeable hint of coconut at the finish. The flavor was short lived and faded very quickly from the taste buds.

Mouthfeel was almost medium in body and rather watery in texture with a mild carbonation.

Overall this brew was tasty, but rather thin for a Porter. Although I believe calling it Toasted Coconut is kind of redundant, as it is barely noticeable in the taste or the aroma...

3.42/5  rDev +3.3%

It does what it says on the bottle! I get toasted coconut right off the bat. There is a wonderful strong chocolate presence that follows it. This beer smells simply wonderful!

Brown in color, and brown highlights when held to light. There is no speakable head and no lacing. A bit disappointing in appearance.

I get equal parts chocolate and coconut when tasting this. It's very much like an unsweetened Mounds bar. The midpalate and finish turn a bit more astringent.

Lower carbonation than expected with a medium body and dry finish. Overall I would venture a guess that it isn't very sessionable, but defiantly worth a shot if you find it. It's mid-range and not bad, but not great either.

4.08/5  rDev +23.3%

I picked this up on the suggestion of the distributor at the store. I figured, "What the hell" and picked up a single bottle.

This brand also offers an orange blossom beer that I saw everywhere while I was in Florida.

I poured this beer in the vacation tulip (I only have one down there). It had a nice, black color. It wasn't very thick, though. I would almost say that it was akin to a black IPA in texture. There was also some very light foam that didn't retain for very long.

Off the top I got roasted coffee, but there was no coconut. On my first taste I would say that this is a very good porter on its own. Just at the end of each sip I could pick up the coconut. You get a decent amount when you pull air across the beer or swish it in your mouth.

Overall this is a very drinkable porter. I'm not sure that the coconut gives or takes anything from this beer. I would recommend picking up a six pack of this. I have never heard of Thomas Creek before, but the next time I am in Florida I will try more of their stuff.

OBP Toasted Coconut Porter from Thomas Creek Brewery