Thomas Creek Deep Water Dopplebock - Thomas Creek Brewery

South Carolina, United States

Doppelbock |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: aracauna on 10-26-2002

3.11/5  rDev -11.1%

My first South Carolina beer review…

Slightly hazy, reddish brown in hue; I’d like to see a darker beer. I had a leaky cap but it still opened with a “pifff.” Russet colored foam, I was surprised the head rose to three fingers in height! Yikes. Head retention was respectable; it slowly faded away leaving sticky lace in its wake. Wow, there is heaps of lacing; it looks like frayed wallpaper. A soapy cap lasted the entire consumption. If the liquid was more opaque, I call this beer damn attractive!

The nose seems a bit hoppy for a Doppel, grassy and faintly earthy. The malt offers some light roasted notes, acidic with hints of char. It is fairly airy plus there isn’t much depth. To brew a Doppel with this low of abv it takes a tremendous amount of skill; Iowa’s Millstream (IA has an abv cap like SC) failed to excel with their Doppel. That beer was merely good, I wonder if this beer will suffer a similar fate. The aromas are weak and I fear this beer will be frail in the palate. Overall, the bouquet is tolerable.

The palate is thin and a bit watery. There just isn’t the malty richness needed. If this beer was labeled as a Schwarzbier I wouldn’t complain about the malt. I like how this beer tastes; there is soft maltiness with acidic notes that become mildly sour. It is a bit smoky with some semi-sweet chocolate notes; plus some earthy hops at the back. The alcohol is well-hidden. I’m conflicted. What do I score this beer? As a Doppel it sucks. As a Black Lager, it is solid. I have to downgrade this beer, numerically, because of what the label says. But heed these words, enjoy this beer for how it tastes, it is well-made!

Medium-light in body, watery, there is not very much body here… low carbonation, it is a bit slick on the swallow. The mouthfeel needs improvement.

This is an easy drinking beer. I do like it. I’d drink a few in a row if I could. I’ll beat the dead horse once more; this beer is lousy as a Doppel but tasty if you just drink it as is. Thanks timtheenchanta for supplying me some South Carolina beers!

3.9/5  rDev +11.4%

12 oz'er pours out with an onyx mahogany hue barely allowing light through topped with a settled thin collar.

Deep scents of cocoa, cola and some baker's chocolate.

First swigs: Seems like a stout rather than a doppel. Crisp and roasty. Dry finish. Tons of flavor. Cocoa stout with a bit of Dr. Pepper.

Feel is medium bodied and frisky carbonation.

Last swigs: A cocoa stout. Thanks to Jredner for the bottle. Enjoyable.
14/3.61

3.45/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A - Deep brown with ruby hues on the edges. Fairly small, tight, foamy, light tan head. Decent retention with a thin patchy lace left.

S - Fairly typical doppelbock aroma, with a touch more sweetness. Dark, sweet bread and dark fruit (particularly raisin) with just a tiny hint of rum. Cocoa is present but not very strong.

T - Similar to the nose with sweet dark fruit (raisin and date in particular) being pretty strong. They have a hint of rum soaked flavor but that just has a quick flash mid-sip. Dark, sweet bread provides a nice base undertone. Only a touch of cocoa at the end. Some anise also is present. Has a lingering sweet, syrupy taste.

M - Between light and medium body with average carbonation. A little too thin and watery, especially for the style. Has a slight sticky finish.

D - Flavors are nice, but this is a little too sweet for me to want to drink it regularly (especially in one night). Mouthfeel/body doesn't help either.

Notes: A little on the sweet side for a doppelbock as well as a little thin. That said, it provides those nice dark, sweet fruity and bready flavors you expect. Not a bad doppelbock, but there are better ones out there.

2.3/5  rDev -34.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a Samuel Smith pint glass in the wee hours of 12/18/11

Courtesy of PDXHops

Loose cap alert - doesn't seem to be a good seal on this one.

Mid-depth cola brown; nice and not too dark. One finger sandy brown head fades after a few minutes to a soapy layer that congregates in the center and along the inside of the glass. No lace to speak of.

Deep aromas of baked dark bread, grains, caramel, toffee and a hint of dusty yeast. Some strange earthy aromatic going on, too (this mostly occurs after swirling the glass; otherwise the aroma is mostly sweeter malt tones). Come to think of it, the strangeness might be oxidation.

My girlfriend took a sip before me; she said it tastes like hippopotamus piss and hint of coffee, aka hippopotamus piss on steroids. Let's see what's going on here. Hmm... coffee and paper. Dear oxidation: thank you. There are some toasted grain and bread notes, but they aren't at the fore like they should be.

The feel is medium-ish, but I get the impression it's thinner than it should be. Carbonation is moderate; maybe a touch on the low side. Hey, at least the carbonation is fine. Finishes dry and kind of gritty.

I had a sample of this on tap at Brewgrass and this bottle isn't what this beer is supposed to be. Still, if you have dicey capping procedures, I reckon I'll let the review stand for the time being. I liked the sample I had, so I intend to give this one another shake.

4.25/5  rDev +21.4%

3.5/5  rDev 0%

3.37/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.25/5  rDev -7.1%

3.23/5  rDev -7.7%

Pours a very dark brown, darker than I'm used to. Light reveals that it's clear, with some reddish tints at the edges. Big fluffy two-finger head, medium tan with some nice soft brown shades. Moderate retention and lacing.

Smell is nice, but has some odd candy-like aromas tucked in there. Big and sweet, with caramel and bubble gum. Has a smoky background. Some nutty malts there in the middle. Smells decent, but not great.

I really am getting bubble gum in this one. That's slightly odd, and I think it comes from a combination of residual sugars and light spices. But it comes through powerfully in the finish - big, round, sweet, sticky, and pink. A bit of smoke, and a slight twang (alcohol? hops?) add some variety.

Mouthfeel is a bit on the thin side. Carbonation is good. Doesn't have the chewiness I want.

An okay doppelbock. Not the worst, not the best. Has a strange mixture of smoke and sweet candy flavors that doesn't sit well with me.

3.78/5  rDev +8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Extremely dark brown color beer. Nice head of about 1/2 finger. Small amount of lacing.

Smell is basically malt. Sweet and caramel malts. Very tempting. I actually detect hops in this one as well. Smells like one of those caramel pieces of candy one receives on Halloween after an evening of trick-or-treating.

Taste is just above par. Sweet tasting with malts caramel and toasted malts being the predominant flavors.

Medium bodied beer with a pleasant, creamy, smooth mouthfeel. Again, a touch of hops in the aftertaste.

Great drinkability and a great beer from Thomas Creek. I will definitely sample this one again.

3.65/5  rDev +4.3%

I'm not sure why I keep trying the Thomas Creek beers; I've yet to find one I'm satisfied with and if they can't produce a proper red ale is there really any chance they've mastered something as complex as a dopplebock? At any rate, it is doppler season and this was the first I saw, so there's my excuse...

Pours nearly black with portlike tinges of ruby at the bottom wiith a nice head that doesn't stick around but leaves decent lacing. Nose is extremely sweet with tinges of coffee, caramel, and lots of chocolate. Unfortunately it is so thick and sweet it almost reminds one of raw corn syrup, but not too bad.

Initially pretty strong with creamy coffee tones and enough carbonation to suit the style but loses its way before the finish and then regains its footing somewhat for a mellow, respectable aftertaste. While not containig the depth or complexity of a classic doppplebock, this is a pleasant sipper that has me giving props to the boys in the Palmetto state.

3.46/5  rDev -1.1%

Rerate 10/27/03: This beer seems to have changed from the first time I sampled it and it has changed for the better. I don't know what was wrong with my first sample of this stuff. It's actually pretty good. Nice extremely dark brown body with lumpy, long-lasting tan head. Nice malty aroma. Flavor is nicely porter-like with chocolate and a little roastiness. The body is far from thin. This is a little sweet, but not cloying. I still wouldn't call it a doppelbock. It'd pass for a schwarzbier, but I wouldn't have even guessed it was a lager if I didn't already know.

9/16/02: Dopplebock? More like just a dark bock. It's a bit hoppier than I like for a dopple as well.

3.25/5  rDev -7.1%

3.39/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A: A deeper bronze hue... head is surprisingly short and doesn't live long. Retention is mediocre, and maybe even a little poor.

S + T: Some pleasant aromas come from the beer, but not those that I might expect from a doppelbock. Some toasted malts, maybe even hints of processed corn... there's a similarity to Corn Flakes in both the scent and the taste. The flavour allows a little more to shine, I find. A little more toasted flavour, a hint of caramel...

M + D: It's got a nice little sting of carbonation on the tip of the tongue and on the roof of the mouth towards finish. Quite tingly. It's a touch thin, but not a complete deal breaker. I don't mind this one, and don't have a problem with finishing the six-pack... I don't know how eager I'd be to buy it in the future, though.

3.77/5  rDev +7.7%

A - Near pitch black with just the faintest hints of deep ruby around the edges. Head is a moderate two fingers with solid sheets of foam left on the glass.

S - Bitter roasted malt aroma with hints of charcoal and chocolate. Just a hint of fruitiness comes through as the beer begins to warm.

T - Surprisingly sweet and fruity at first sip. A dry roasted malt taste comes through quickly on the back of the tongue and gives you a bit of the big malt you would expect, but all in all it is a bit weak. A bit too much hop presence for the style in my opinion. As the beer warms a somewhat astringent bitterness takes hold.

M/D - Light to medium bodied, certianly not what one would expect. Easy drinking with the alcohol being very well masked.

All in all, not the best doppelbock I have ever had but certainly not a bad beer. Could use a little more roasted malt and a little less of the little green cones in my opinion.

2.95/5  rDev -15.7%

A Dopplebock brewed in sub 6% South Carolina seems like a very novel concept to me, and when I saw this new arrival on the shelves in Georgia, I had to snag a six pack to see how close they could get.

The beer poured out dark brown, bordering on black, and had a really small head and very little carbonation. The lacing was sparse and thin. The smell was not malty and floral like a Dopplebock, but more like a chocolaty roasty Porter, or a Belgian Dubbel.

The taste again confirmed the lack of malt in this beer. Roasty, chocolaty, grainy, soured, and a little burnt in the taste profile, this was more or less like a Schwartzbier to me. The flavors were not bad, but were just no match for the real thing. There was no explosion of fruity notes and grassy hop bitterness here at all. All I could detect was a steady and simple mix of the more basic flavors.

The thin body and the lack of strength made this a drinkable beer. Judged on its own merit, it is not half bad. But slapping a label proclaiming the contents to be a well known style does not make it so. And just for that atrocity, a few points were shaved off the rating.

3.5/5  rDev 0%

3.98/5  rDev +13.7%

Pours a very deep and dark red. Nearly opaque. Not sure I have seen a beer this color before. Nice thick 1.5 finger head. Nice retention and lacing. Not a bad looking beer at all.

Nose is very fruity for a doppelbock. Picking up more tart cherry than roast malt. Plum and raisin also chime in. Faintly smoky as well.

Big dose of sweet tea on the initial hit on the tongue. Goes peaty in the middle and finish. Burnt sugar kicks in midway and a little cocoa in the finish. Not bad at all.

For all the body here, feel is still slightly thin.

Very nice to drink. One of the better offerings from this brewery.

Thomas Creek Deep Water Dopplebock from Thomas Creek Brewery