Cellar Reserve Lambic Style Beer - French Broad Brewing Co.

Cellar Reserve Lambic Style BeerCellar Reserve Lambic Style Beer

French Broad Brewing Co. visit their website
North Carolina, United States

Gueuze |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 09-12-2003)
3.45/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours a meduim/dark oakish burgandy color. Somewhat good carbonation. Nothing impressive. Smells fruity and malty sweet. No detectable hops, just yeasties. Taste was sweet and light. They use blackberries in it to turn down the sours. Not sure that was needed. Though it tastes fine, I think it mellowed it too much. Mouthfeel is lighter and weaker than I would have thought. This recipe says it is blended with a grand cru, I couldn't find. I've had a chance to experinence a few gueze in competitions, and though I'm no expert, this is just not true to style in my book. It's an ok beer, but no tart/sour flavors. Nothing barn yard like at all. Being this is usually a style I don't like, and I liked this beer, I'd say they may need to try again.

finepaws, Aug 28, 2005
3.8/5  rDev +3.3%

I'll start by saying that I'm not sure this is a gueuze...it was much darker and much, much less bubbly than Cantillon's version I tried a couple months back. According to the website, it's "blend of two beers and three yeasts, aged more than a year." I don't know enough to place it--I'd probably still call it a gueuze, but it's a lot darker than I'd expect a gueuze to be.

Anyway...

Tasted at Tyler's Taproom in Carrboro.

Served in a Lindeman's glass, this lambic was a cloudy red-brown color with no head whatsoever, only a thin ring of white. I would have sworn this was a fresh apple cider from a distance. Anyway, the aroma has a soft sourness to it, previewing a sour, slightly hay-like flavor. There's a sour green apple element to this, but mostly, this brew has one major characteristic: a subtle, unadulterated tartness. You could drink this all day--which means its not quite puckering enough for me. Very drinkable, but pretty thin in the mouth as well.

Decent, but maybe not worth the pricetag ($4.75 for 10 oz...)

RockyTopHeel, Jan 28, 2004
3.8/5  rDev +3.3%

A very respectable offering of a very challenging style. This Lambic-style is produced by blending two different beers, I think one aged and one young-ish. I'm not very experienced with Gueuze, but the few I have tried, namely Boon and Lindemans, don't seem all that different from French Broad's attempt: very dry, cidery, sour...quite refreshing actually. I'm not sure when this is available, I had it about a year ago at Barley's in Asheville.

cerevisiaephilus, Sep 12, 2003
Cellar Reserve Lambic Style Beer from French Broad Brewing Co.
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.