13 Rebels ESB - French Broad Brewing Co.

13 Rebels ESB13 Rebels ESB

good

French Broad Brewing Co. visit their website
North Carolina, United States

Extra Special / Strong Bitter (ESB) |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierguy5 on 05-18-2004)
3.48/5  rDev -1.7%

Omnium, Tuesday at 12:33 AM
3.56/5  rDev +0.6%

iiaudio, Nov 14, 2014
3.75/5  rDev +5.9%

This was an interesting beer. I don't think this tastes like other ESBs that I've tried. It pours nicely into a SA Perfect Pint and displays some head and lacing but when I tried it with a Nonic there was virtually no head and no lacing, The color is amber with a hint of orange. The taste and aroma are hard to describe but I would lean toward earthy. I will say that I enjoyed the beer. It seems to be a nice transition to the fall for me although I would prefer a slightly darker color.

JimKal, Nov 13, 2014
3.25/5  rDev -8.2%

ThurstonHowell3, Nov 10, 2014

RavenForBeer, Nov 09, 2014

Mfbda1daonly, Nov 08, 2014

jburlew, Nov 05, 2014

swgwilt, Oct 24, 2014
3.86/5  rDev +9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

French Broad 13 Rebels ESB has a fairly thick cream colored head with heavy lacing and a murky, bubbly, orange appearance. The aroma is of toffee, light fruits, English hop resin, a slight nut, and citrus acidity. Taste is of all that, with mild bitterness, sweet bread dough, and a grass or weed note. Mouthfeel is medium, and French Broad 13 Rebels ESB finishes fairly crisp and odd. It’s one that the drinker would really have to try to appreciate, because it’s difficult to describe.

RJT

4.5/5  rDev +27.1%

jaredtp, Sep 20, 2014

PhatAtUT, Sep 18, 2014
4.5/5  rDev +27.1%

One of the overlooked CANtributors to The CANQuest ™ is one of my local beer people, soon (eventually) to be a “Character” in my column – Justin C. He does a good job of looking out for new and different CANs for me in his travels and this is one with which he recently returned.

From the CAN: “13 Rebels ESB Ale is an Ameri[CAN] interpretation of Britain’s Extra Special Bitter.”

I would love to know the story behind both the beer’s name and its label, but it was time for more important things, like the Crack! I love a brimful CAN and when this one revealed itself, I was ready to go. I initiated an inverted Glug, leading to a near-rebellious two-plus fingers of dense, tawny head with good retention. I sat back as the battle raged, sticky lacing appearing in the wake of the fighting. Rebellion should not be without casualties. The first rule of The CANQuest ™ is to talk about The CANQuest ™. Color was a slightly hazy Amber (SRM = 7.3, thanks to the brewery for providing that bit of 411). Nose had a grassy honey-sweetness that really put me more in mind of a lager. Mouthfeel was medium and although I was still getting that honey flavor, it was accompanied by an earthy maltiness and an intensely grassy hoppiness (IBU = 42). Holy rebelliousness! I CAN drink this all day! The grassy bitterness was offset nicely by the biscuit maltiness on the tongue. It was on the finish that it really came together, though. It was like summer in the country with biscuits and honey after mowing the grass. I really am a fan of this one and wish that it were more widely available.

woodychandler, Sep 11, 2014
3.53/5  rDev -0.3%

A big shout out to the legendary woodychandler for this beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a dark golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is bready, a bit of hops. Taste is also bready, some caramel sweetness, a touch of hops is present. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall, while I am not a big fan of this style, this beer was tasty and enjoyable.

tone77, Sep 06, 2014

Well out of six, my father had one and I had one and he said, "tasted squirrely". I reply, "always called that skunk".

I am hearing that, yeah indeed it could be. Given that I am in the blast radius of this place, I will hang this here and then check them at the source.

If need be, I'll revise the review.

HMTE, Aug 20, 2014
4.04/5  rDev +14.1%

dknight54, Aug 12, 2014

DrunkinYogi, Aug 08, 2014

JeffKowalek, Aug 01, 2014
13 Rebels ESB from French Broad Brewing Co.