13 Rebels ESB - French Broad Brewing Co.

13 Rebels ESB13 Rebels ESB

Beer added by: Bierguy5 on 05-18-2004

4.84/5  rDev +37.1%

4.75/5  rDev +34.6%

4.5/5  rDev +27.5%

One of the overlooked CANtributors to The CANQuest ™ is one of my local beer people, soon (eventually) to be a “Character” in my column – Justin C. He does a good job of looking out for new and different CANs for me in his travels and this is one with which he recently returned.

From the CAN: “13 Rebels ESB Ale is an Ameri[CAN] interpretation of Britain’s Extra Special Bitter.”

I would love to know the story behind both the beer’s name and its label, but it was time for more important things, like the Crack! I love a brimful CAN and when this one revealed itself, I was ready to go. I initiated an inverted Glug, leading to a near-rebellious two-plus fingers of dense, tawny head with good retention. I sat back as the battle raged, sticky lacing appearing in the wake of the fighting. Rebellion should not be without casualties. The first rule of The CANQuest ™ is to talk about The CANQuest ™. Color was a slightly hazy Amber (SRM = 7.3, thanks to the brewery for providing that bit of 411). Nose had a grassy honey-sweetness that really put me more in mind of a lager. Mouthfeel was medium and although I was still getting that honey flavor, it was accompanied by an earthy maltiness and an intensely grassy hoppiness (IBU = 42). Holy rebelliousness! I CAN drink this all day! The grassy bitterness was offset nicely by the biscuit maltiness on the tongue. It was on the finish that it really came together, though. It was like summer in the country with biscuits and honey after mowing the grass. I really am a fan of this one and wish that it were more widely available.

4.33/5  rDev +22.7%

This is a very good ESB. Poured with a small head. The color is a very cloudy orangish yellow. The beer had a citrus like bitter smell. The taste was very hoppy. I also detected citrus in the taste. It is a very smooth beer for the style. A very drinkable beer. My growler did not make it through the night. Probably my favorite beer from French Broad. I will have it again. Top of the style in my book.

4.33/5  rDev +22.7%

This is the second time I've had this, the first time was a few years ago out of a growler, and this time its out of a bomber. Pours a hazy brown/copper. Thin head. Smells faintly like sweet malt and caramel. Earthy flavors from the hops are very prominent with a warming sweetness and mild alcohol. Fairly malt forward and really on target for the style I think. I feel like a lot of other breweries overhop their bitters, which doesn't really make sense to me. This ones an exception.

4.3/5  rDev +21.8%

4.28/5  rDev +21.2%

A-copper color with low carbonation and a non existent head.

S- Sweet malt with a floral-fruity aroma

T- Slight bitterness with pronounced earthy hops

M- Coats the mouth but finishes smooth and clean at the finish

O- an easy to drink beer. Not as heavy on the hops like an IPA but they still let you know they are there.
Overall I'm very satisfied with this interpretation of an ESB
and would add this to my "must try list"

4.25/5  rDev +20.4%

4.25/5  rDev +20.4%

I may not be getting too deep into details, but this tasted really good - a hoppier version of the ESB. Great color, great taste. It really made folding the laundry, doing the dishes, and making lunches for the kids go smoothly. Overall, I would say that you will enjoy this and be happy. It's the golden age of American brewing!

4.18/5  rDev +18.4%

Thanks to gford217 for this bomber, along with three other from French Broad. The first was one of the better kolsch's I've had, so I was looking forward to this one.

Amber golden and such & so forth. Smell is oddly hopped, forest fire, mixed with a faint background of acrid bitterness. Never smelt anything like it.

Never had a beer like this. The taste is over-ze-top burnt toast, & not just the toast, but more like the black stuff you scrape off when your kid moves the lever too far to the right. The caramel biscuit is burnt too, & the hops are muted, coming in a distant third, just to add another layer of dryness to a pile of dry on the tongue.

Luckily, I love burnt stuff - toast, pizza, brats, dinner rolls, I always felt the darker the better (my wife often says "THAT one is for you..."). 13 Rebels fairly rolls down my throat & leaves my yearning for another sip, right away.

Very, very good beer! I can see how this would not appeal to everyone, it's unique & quite a bit off the beaten path. I'll be sad to see this glass go, & it's moving off at quite a pace.

4.15/5  rDev +17.6%

Had this one on cask at The Borough during Raleigh Beer Week, dry hopped with Cluster hops. Served in a standard pint glass a very murky dark orange with a thin diminishing head. The aroma was a nice amount of floral hops with sweet malts noticeable as well. The taste was a very nice balance of sweet caramel malts, Earthy mild citrus hops and a dash of sweet fruits. The beer is very well balanced, smooth, and enjoyable. As much as enjoy a good hoppy cask IPA, like the 2 Hearted cask I tried the other day, this is what cask beer is truly all about!

4.13/5  rDev +17%

On draft at Barley's, Asheville, NC.

Poured a medium copper hue with a two finger dense frothy head. There was very good lacing and retention.

The smell featured toasted biscuit malts and herbal and slightly piney hops.

The taste was extremely well balanced with a sharp toasted breadiness complimented by a clean herbal hop.

The mouthfeel was clean with a vigorous carnonation.

Overall a very good and balanced ale.

4.1/5  rDev +16.1%

A - Deep amber color with a rocky white head. Very nice lacing coats the glass.

S - Mild aroma of bread and sweet malt. Just a touch of earthy hops in the background.

T - Toasty and sweet, with just enough hop bitterness to balance things out. The finish is very clean. Not a lot of strong flavors here.

M - Creamy and smooth, but the moderate carbonation keeps it from being too heavy. Really coats the mouth for an excellent mouthfeel.

D - With the low ABV and mild flavor, I could put away several at a sitting. Nothing amazing with respect to the flavor or aroma, but this is a solid ESB that I'll likely buy again.

4.04/5  rDev +14.4%

This beer poured copper and was average in appearance. It had a very bitter feeling throughout. As described by a friend also drinking this brew, it has the qualities that you crave in an IPA…minus the sweetness and syrup qualities. I really like this beer as a session choice. It was an easy to drink medium bodied bitter beer that provoked continuous sipping. It is a great beer, and great for the style.

Pours a light brownish-orange color, transparent. A light tan head with good retention fades to a thick ring and some small islands of foaming. Some lacing remains upon quaffing.
Smell is a decent balance of malt, caramel and hops.
Taste is of roasted malt, a somewhat more assertive hop note with the caramel aspect less pronounced.
Not a harsh bitterness but more of an assertive hops astringency with a drying finish. Medium bodied with a medium effervescence.
A good example of the style, not a heavily hopped Americanized version. Good stuff. I had several bombers of this over several days.

13 Rebels ESB from French Broad Brewing Co.