Join our email list →

Hoppy Poppy IPA - Figueroa Mountain Brewing Co.

Hoppy Poppy IPAHoppy Poppy IPA

Figueroa Mountain Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

American IPA | 6.50% ABV

Beer added by: Jason on 06-28-2011

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
4.16/5  rDev +7.5%

As others have already said, this is an excellent CA IPA. Pours a beautiful copper orange with a 3 inch sticky thick head with legs. Very smooth mouthfeel, kinda light bodied but the malt is balanced well with the grapefruit/citrusy simcoe/cascade/centennial hops. I don't really know what poppy flavor is supposed to translate as. I honestly think the just added some seeds for the catchy name. Either way, it's the best IPA of the smaller Santa Barbara area breweries. Def worth a try

4.15/5  rDev +7.2%

Was right next door to the brewery, but couldn't slip away from my wine-tasting obligations to avail myself of their wares. A few months later and I'm happy for a second chance to taste one of their beers. Poured from a 22oz bomber into my Dogfish Head shaped pint glass.

Clear, Princeton orange liquid supports three fingers of papaya whip foam which forms a rocky lasting head. Thick soapy lacing; superior retention.

Citris laden hop aromatics suggest oranges, yuzu, and grapefruit at first. A sweetness comes through as well which is like an especially floral honey with a tiny hint of passion fruit.

Moderately bitter palate entry with a peppery herbaceous hop kick. A biscuity backbone of malt with hints of fine caramel and cotton candy emerges as well but the flavor profile remains dry throughout. Finishes with hints of earth, forest floor, and cocoa thanks to the addition of poppy seeds - though a delicate fruitiness never abates. Excellent balance. Very good.

Soft, lightly carbonated, and zesty mouthfeel.

Very drinkable, well crafted, unique without being ostentatious...would go well with a good cheese and some olives or with a meal from the region (the beer has a certain refinement suggestive of wine country).

4.03/5  rDev +4.1%

Brought back from the source by my brother, thanks for the opportunity. Pours a crystal clear deep copper color with a stingy white head that dissipates quickly but does manage to leave some lace. The nose is filled with wonderful aromas of citrus and pine. Tangerine, grapefruit and resin boldly topping a base of caramel and brown sugar. The taste hits with a bit of bitter pine resin initially but the sweet sugary malt brings everything back into balance quickly. Long lingering grapefruit and apricot in the finish. Medium body with a sweet resinous mouthfeel and a moderate level of carbonation. Nice, simple, easy drinking IPA. I didn't expect this to be so good from a brewery I'd never heard of, I probably should have shared this with Todd. ;)

4.03/5  rDev +4.1%

1213th Review on BA
Bottle to Parra Tulip
22oz

Thanks to my bowling partner Chris for this one.

App- A very clear looking dark Orange with some really sturdy amber tinge. A nice two finger head formed and stuck around for a bit and then fell to a good mix of cling and lace.

Smell- A pretty standard IPA without being too overly malty. Had some good citrus notes and even brought a bit of earthy dampness to the backend. I got a tinge of something like a dough or bread and I want to say its the poppy but I know thats a stretch.

Taste- It was a very nice and almost small IPA. Had a nice upfront hoppy flavor with a good backing mild citrus and malt combination. The "extra" doughy flavor carried over from the nose and added a small other layer.

Mouth- A wet medium body with a pretty filling body to it. A very nice carbonation level with some good bubbles and a nice citrus layer remained.

Drink- A tasty beer. This was a nice gift from a buddy for winning a bowling bet. I would like to have this again and now I am excited to try the Brown Ale I have at home from this brewery.

3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

[Poured into an small generic tulip glass]

I: Another recommendation from a friend. Based on the description it seems like this will be a pleasant ipa (abv and ibu is nothing big). This will be my first brew from Figueroa Mountain Brewing Co. Lets hope they don't disappoint.

B: [6.5 ABV. 1 Pint. 6 Fl OZ. Bottled ???] Nice bottle overall, with a label that gives off a classic feel. The texture of the label feels glossy and top notch. Ingredients include Centennial, Cascade, and Simcoe hops, and poppy seeds. I expect a pretty earthy/grassy beer.

A: An orange transparent body, with fuzzy/creamy tight bubbled (for the most part) head (moderate dissipation that leaves a thin white layer), and scattered lacing through sips.

S: The Typical dominate citrus fruit is grapefruit, and a grassy/earthy hop presence.

T: Pretty much what I suspected. The presence of earth/floral and malt dominate throughout, as they compliment each other, followed by sweet grapefruit. Hops come out towards the end of swallow and linger for a bit, but far from vicious.

M: Slick/very slight dry finish, light bodied, medium carbonation, and low alcohol presence.

O: Well it wasn't earth shattering, but it's a good to decent ipa. I didn't like the emphasis on the earth/floral presence, but that's my preference. I think there are better ipas like Alesmith, but fans of earthy beers will love this. I'll probably give some of Figueroa Mountain Brews other brews a try before passing judgement. Drink up my friends.

4.92/5  rDev +27.1%

Pours a beautiful clear tangerine copper with an antique white two-finger head. Head retention doesn't linger. Foam laces the glass as the beer is being drunk. There is a ripe fruit and pine nose. Candied fruit and pine are prevalent at the top. The beer finishes floral hoppy, but with a pleasant, mild, almost sweet bitterness, if you will. Wonderful beer. The best IPA I've ever had the pleasure to drink. What's more, I only live a half hour from the brewery/brew pub.

3.83/5  rDev -1%

Another beer in the flight of beers I had @ Figueroa Mountain on Labor Day weekend.

Review is from notes

A: The beer is a bright copper orange, clear, with a healthy half inch of white head.

S: Nice scents of tropical fruits, grapefruit, touch of pineapple, as well as some pine needles.

T: Flavors of Caramel malt, slight buttery quality in the middle, with a mild dry finish. Nice clean mineral quality as well.

M: average heft in the mouth feel, lightly carbonated.

O: Good. After have all of the beers Figueroa Mountain had to offer, this is higher on the list of some others, as it's not too weak, or too much. As stated in some other reviews, I've been able to have this a few times over since this review over at Instant replay, which has been great, since Buellton is 2 hours from me, and no bottles of this brewery's beers can be found locally yet, and they are easy to drink a pint or two of.
they are easy to drink a pint or two of.

4.83/5  rDev +24.8%

This is one of my favorite beers at Figueroa Mountain Brewing Company. I didn't used to like IPA's until I had the Hoppy Poppy and their Double IPA (the Hurricane Deck), and now I drink IPA's quite often. There is a very high demand for this beer, so the only downside is keeping it on tap since it is most of the regulars' favorite. Luckily they also bottle it now. I highly recommend the Hoppy Poppy to all of my friends I bring to the brewery for their first time.

4.45/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Stopped off here after a wedding, heard from a local in Solvang about it. This tap house is about 1 mile away from Pea Soup Andersons off the 101 in Buellton. It's about 1/2 mile down a very non-commercial looking road so don't turn around, if you hit the winery, go back.

A: good straw color with nice carbonation. This white head and served pretty cold.
S: Nice piney citrus nose, not too overwhelming but you can tell it's nicely hopped.
T: Crisp, dry, citrusy with a light bitterness in finish. Not much of a malt presence which is fine with me. I like these kind.
M: light and perfectly carbonated

Overall, this IPA is very good. I got a growler to go and will enjoy with friends. It definitely offers the WCIPA signature fresh hoppy taste.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Hoppy Poppy IPA from Figueroa Mountain Brewing Co.