Project Dank - La Cumbre Brewing Co.

Project DankProject Dank

La Cumbre Brewing Co. visit their website
New Mexico, United States

(Beer added by: ONovoMexicano on 01-11-2014)
4.81/5  rDev +7.8%

Re-reviewing the new batch, which is a different recipe. Bottle dated 8/11/14, courtesy of BeerandBoards, my Dank hookup forever and always. You're amazing. Poured into a Prairie Teku glass. Previous reviews below.

Appearance: A dark red-hued orange, translucent, reminds me of the color of Dayquil, really unique color for an IPA. I suppose this is due to the darker malt they used in this batch. Head is small white and loose, big champagne like bubbles that fade quickly into a thin crown with dainty lacing.

Smell: Wow. Indescribably complex, but let's give it a try. Intensely floral, specifically Gardenia. Loads of sweet citrus rind, tangerine or orange, almost like an orange creamsicle thing going on. Faint hints of pine intermingle as well. As it warms up, I get a bit of a spicy character as well, cinnamon comes to mind first, like a red-hot candy type of way. This is gorgeous.

Taste: Not quite as awesome as the smell, but still great. The tangerine comes through very prominently as well, but it's ultimately too pithy. Bracingly bitter, particularly on the aftertaste. The floral Gardenia plays in the background behind the citrus in the taste, but it's still a big portion of the flavor profile, adding a perfume note.

Mouthfeel: On the lower side for an IPA, but still respectable. That bitterness really clings to the palate, the finish on this thing is forever.

Overall: First batch I tried (2/28) was still my favorite, but this is a very respectable second place of the three so far. Really unique flavor profile on this one. Lovely stuff.

~~~~~~~~~~

Poured from a bottle dated 5/3/14 into a Prairie Teku glass, courtesy of the ever-generous Beerandboards. Original review of the first batch I tried, 2/26/14, is kept for history's sake down below.

Appearance: An almost-translucent orange/amber with a small head that fades quickly. A thin crown hands around the edge. Some minor lacing. 4.25/5

Smell: Tropical fruits and cat piss come through first. Very fruity too, like sweet blueberries. Yup. Lots of dried blueberries. That must be the interesting South African hops I've never had before, the Southern Dawn and the Southern Passion. Can't wait to see how the smell develops as the beer warms up. 5/5

Taste: Very different from the smell. Very low bitterness at first, but the first sip has loads of pine, and some earth. Bitterness intensifies as the beer warms and I get further down in the glass. Some herbal notes, (perhaps oregano, or parsley?). Virtually no aftertaste, which is interesting because literally every beer I've ever had has an aftertaste. Some vague fruitiness but not anything specific like the dried blueberries I was getting in the nose. This isn't hitting me over with complexity flavor wise like the last batch did. 4.5/5

Mouthfeel: Relatively thin, hefty carb. Doesn't stick around for long in the mouth at all, very clean. 4.5/5

Overall: The last batch I had was better (probably the best IPA I've ever had), but this is still very good. Very unique hop profile. I'm looking forward to future batches of this. 4.59/5

~~~

Poured from a bottle dated 2/26/14 into a Prairie Teku glass.

Appearance: Hazy amber, next to no head. What head there is there fades away quickly. Just the thinnest of crowns around the edge. No lacing to speak of. 4.25/5

Smell: Holy hell. Holy. Hell. Best smelling IPA I've ever had. As soon as I popped the top the room filled with beautiful citrus, apricots and tropical fruit. Putting my nose in the glass, the beer reeks of cream. I can't wait to taste the beer! 5/5

Taste: Well I wasn't expecting that. Unlike the fruity smell, the flavor is much more earthy even dusty. Quite herbal. Dank, too, because of course it is. The fruitiness comes through a bit more toward the finish. Cat pee and pine, bitterness isn't bracing. Aftertaste is mostly bitter and sticks around a while. 5/5

Mouthfeel: Very sticky. Carbonation is lower, but far from flat. Really coats the mouth. 4.25/5

Overall: This is a ridiculously good IPA. Unlike any other IPA I've had, and it's fantastic. I wish I lived in New Mexico so I could drink this more frequently. Just...oh my god. Five stars. Good job, La Cumbre. 5/5

Total score: 4.89/5

WTKeene, Sep 01, 2014

ryanflc, Tuesday at 12:42 AM
4.16/5  rDev -6.7%

mertzhb15, Sunday at 12:30 AM
4.71/5  rDev +5.6%

Just tasted a fresh dank, and damn was it good. I had never heard of it before and got it in a trade. I definitely recommend any IPA fan to try this beer. You will not be disappointed.

Seeker_11, Friday at 11:31 PM
4.56/5  rDev +2.2%

Kino, Friday at 10:51 PM
4.37/5  rDev -2%

ttle in trade, Danked on 11/3/14 and poured 11/20/14. Stoked for this one. Pours beautiful clear golden orange with a half finger white head. Awesome aroma of floral smells, stone fruit, mango, light pine and grass, sweet citrus. Mmmmm. Flavor is strong bitter on the tongue with a mango and stone fruit finish, bitter lasting through dry on the tongue, lots of hop twinge, whoah. One of the more lingering bitter brews I've had. Really nice. Super dry after an initial juiciness, medium plus carbonation, light to medium body. This is really nice with a unique bitterness note. I think I would have liked to taste a bit more smooth sweetness and a bit less bitter here, but really nitpicking.

BMMillsy, Nov 21, 2014

seanmonaghan13, Nov 19, 2014

Lunch, Nov 17, 2014

The other reviews sum this beer up. It smells like cat piss. Since when is this desirable? 0/25

As soon as I took my first sip I realized it also tasted like cat piss. 0/25

Did I mention its the same color as the piss of a dehydrated cat? 0/25

At least I absorbed some alcohol when I drank it, however since it looks, smells and tastes like cat piss, I promptly vomited what I can only assume was fermented cat piss. 1/25

Hellion, Nov 15, 2014

Gadun76, Nov 09, 2014

Hrdqore, Nov 09, 2014

XmnwildX12, Nov 05, 2014
4.61/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

MacQ32, Nov 01, 2014

Brihon, Nov 01, 2014

eddie5721, Oct 30, 2014

MrRockstar, Oct 29, 2014

1424IpA, Oct 29, 2014

Appearance - The beer poured an orange gold color.

Smell - The citrus hops are most notable in the aroma, but some malty sweetness is detectable.

Taste - The citrus hops begin the taste, but a sweet malt continues. The distinction is well balanced. In the aftertaste, tongue bruising hops leave a resiny mark.

Mouthfeel - The thickness is more of a reflection of an imperial. I will not complain, since I like it.

Overall - This is a better than average American IPA.

JohnnyHopps, Oct 29, 2014
Project Dank from La Cumbre Brewing Co.