Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Project Dank - La Cumbre Brewing Co.

Project DankProject Dank

La Cumbre Brewing Co. visit their website
New Mexico, United States

Beer added by: ONovoMexicano on 01-11-2014

Reviews by brewskis:
4.5/5  rDev +1.1%

4.81/5  rDev +8.1%

Re-reviewing the new batch, which is a different recipe. Bottle dated 8/11/14, courtesy of BeerandBoards, my Dank hookup forever and always. You're amazing. Poured into a Prairie Teku glass. Previous reviews below.

Appearance: A dark red-hued orange, translucent, reminds me of the color of Dayquil, really unique color for an IPA. I suppose this is due to the darker malt they used in this batch. Head is small white and loose, big champagne like bubbles that fade quickly into a thin crown with dainty lacing.

Smell: Wow. Indescribably complex, but let's give it a try. Intensely floral, specifically Gardenia. Loads of sweet citrus rind, tangerine or orange, almost like an orange creamsicle thing going on. Faint hints of pine intermingle as well. As it warms up, I get a bit of a spicy character as well, cinnamon comes to mind first, like a red-hot candy type of way. This is gorgeous.

Taste: Not quite as awesome as the smell, but still great. The tangerine comes through very prominently as well, but it's ultimately too pithy. Bracingly bitter, particularly on the aftertaste. The floral Gardenia plays in the background behind the citrus in the taste, but it's still a big portion of the flavor profile, adding a perfume note.

Mouthfeel: On the lower side for an IPA, but still respectable. That bitterness really clings to the palate, the finish on this thing is forever.

Overall: First batch I tried (2/28) was still my favorite, but this is a very respectable second place of the three so far. Really unique flavor profile on this one. Lovely stuff.

Poured from a bottle dated 5/3/14 into a Prairie Teku glass, courtesy of the ever-generous Beerandboards. Original review of the first batch I tried, 2/26/14, is kept for history's sake down below.

Appearance: An almost-translucent orange/amber with a small head that fades quickly. A thin crown hands around the edge. Some minor lacing. 4.25/5

Smell: Tropical fruits and cat piss come through first. Very fruity too, like sweet blueberries. Yup. Lots of dried blueberries. That must be the interesting South African hops I've never had before, the Southern Dawn and the Southern Passion. Can't wait to see how the smell develops as the beer warms up. 5/5

Taste: Very different from the smell. Very low bitterness at first, but the first sip has loads of pine, and some earth. Bitterness intensifies as the beer warms and I get further down in the glass. Some herbal notes, (perhaps oregano, or parsley?). Virtually no aftertaste, which is interesting because literally every beer I've ever had has an aftertaste. Some vague fruitiness but not anything specific like the dried blueberries I was getting in the nose. This isn't hitting me over with complexity flavor wise like the last batch did. 4.5/5

Mouthfeel: Relatively thin, hefty carb. Doesn't stick around for long in the mouth at all, very clean. 4.5/5

Overall: The last batch I had was better (probably the best IPA I've ever had), but this is still very good. Very unique hop profile. I'm looking forward to future batches of this. 4.59/5

Poured from a bottle dated 2/26/14 into a Prairie Teku glass.

Appearance: Hazy amber, next to no head. What head there is there fades away quickly. Just the thinnest of crowns around the edge. No lacing to speak of. 4.25/5

Smell: Holy hell. Holy. Hell. Best smelling IPA I've ever had. As soon as I popped the top the room filled with beautiful citrus, apricots and tropical fruit. Putting my nose in the glass, the beer reeks of cream. I can't wait to taste the beer! 5/5

Taste: Well I wasn't expecting that. Unlike the fruity smell, the flavor is much more earthy even dusty. Quite herbal. Dank, too, because of course it is. The fruitiness comes through a bit more toward the finish. Cat pee and pine, bitterness isn't bracing. Aftertaste is mostly bitter and sticks around a while. 5/5

Mouthfeel: Very sticky. Carbonation is lower, but far from flat. Really coats the mouth. 4.25/5

Overall: This is a ridiculously good IPA. Unlike any other IPA I've had, and it's fantastic. I wish I lived in New Mexico so I could drink this more frequently. Just...oh my god. Five stars. Good job, La Cumbre. 5/5

Total score: 4.89/5

4.6/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Clear amber body with an endless stream of bubbles. Clingy head that melts off the sides of the glass. Nice to look at. This has a glorious smell - Candied tropical fruit. The aroma definitely steps up. Upon first sip, I say...this is better than Elevated IPA. I could use the word "dank" to describe this beer. Sweet tropical fruit + easy grapefruit + dank. Nice finish, subtle sweetness, super clean, no aftertaste, makes me want more. I want that taste, I have to take another sip. Very drinkable. The feel is slick and somewhat creamy. How'd they do that?

Overall - Wonderful beer. This hits all the high benchmarks for a "World Class IPA." This reminds me of Pliny the Elder...just different. I think this IPA has legs and is a top contender in the IPA division. Or maybe, it is because I haven't had a beer in three days, and my taste buds are in such need of some hops, that they are hyping this up...I don't think so.

4.71/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

On tap at the brewery, and again out of a bomber bottle a few days later.
A= Orange with a deep haze, glowing.
S=Deep dank resinous hops with citrus, pine, and tropical fruits. The name does not lie, this is dank and makes your mouth water.
T= Great, perfect balance of deep tropical flavors with the pale malts and light sweetness. Get grapefruit, pine, resinous grassy/earthy flavors. Lots of depth to the flavor.
M= Medium body, near perfect level of carbonation both on tap and out of bomber. Surprisingly refreshing.
O= Great balance with big flavors and aroma, leaves nothing desired, no complaints, definitely an equal to other world-class IPA hop bombs.

4.49/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz bomber that's about a month old, enjoyed out of a balloon glass.

This is a world class IPA that tastes like 1/3 orange juice, 1/3 white grapefruit juice, and 1/3 pine needles. Bitter, vibrant, citrusy, and loaded with pine. Aromas mirror the flavors, but the taste is the star here. Beautiful dry resin, pine needles, and grapefruit pith on the finish. So…much…pine.

4.92/5  rDev +10.6%

Floral citrus nose, joyous interplay of malt, hop bitterness, and trop fruit on the palate.

4.62/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottled on 3/26/15. 2 weeks old

Smells amazing. Resembles Stone's Enjoy By a little bit, but I prefer this. I'm guessing this thing is loaded with Nelson Sauvin. I like their Elevated IPA quite a bit, but this thing is a step above. La Cumbre rules.

4.75/5  rDev +6.7%

4.2/5  rDev -5.6%

4.6/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz bomber poured into snifter.
Danked on 8/11/15, it's pretty fresh.

A- Hazy orange and gold. Minimal head and lacing.

S- Wow. It really does live up to its name. I had to look around to make sure that I wasn't at a Snoop Dogg concert. LaCumbre definitely nailed the dank.

T- Just really earthy, dank hops. A little citrus too.

M- Light to medium carbonation. Slightly dry mouthfeel.

D- Great beer. I really enjoyed it. I was lucky to get it pretty fresh. I wish I could get more.

4.31/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.29/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.75/5  rDev +6.7%

4.25/5  rDev -4.5%

4.24/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.5/5  rDev +1.1%

3.75/5  rDev -15.7%

Had a pint on tap in Santa Fe.

The pour was golden; high carbonation. Nose was strong citrus with heavy grapefruit overtones. Head was modest; about a finger's width.

Taste was solid hops but with enough malt overtones to make this a very drinkable brew. It reminded me a lot of the La Cumbre Full Nelson, but the bit of malt flavor made this much more enjoyable. It paired well with a green chile cheeseburger.

3.75/5  rDev -15.7%

4.44/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.25/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.8/5  rDev -14.6%

Project Dank from La Cumbre Brewing Co.