Elevated IPA - La Cumbre Brewing Co.

Elevated IPAElevated IPA

La Cumbre Brewing Co. visit their website
New Mexico, United States

Beer added by: jdense on 02-13-2011

Did someone ask for hops? Tired of beers that promise a full lupulin experience, but never deliver more than richly malted bitterness? It’s no secret that this is what we excel at. We’ve been brewing world class IPAs for years. Our flagship is the culmination of a decades worth of studying and brewing. Take a step above and acclimate to what an IPA should be.

Ratings: 1,098 | Reviews: 161
4.49/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

-yellow orange brown hue, didnt hold head to long but it did not effect the beer
-bright dancing hops a treat for your senses
-great taste holds but not to bitter from the hops very pleasant beer,light floral, good for spring
-not thick and travels around the mouth to new places
- overall great beer not to filling a true palate sensation

4.4/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Burnt amber/orange body. Off-white sticky head. This has a great smell. Pineapple, sharp hops, some light pine and juicy fruit. What a great hop taste. Of course, the taste and smell are similar. Heady Topper is spectacularly balance. Elevated leans more on the bitter/hoppy side...zingy taste. Hop bite, with a great taste. The feel is well-suited for this IPA. Not too light or too heavy, but a more full IPA. A double IPA could fit into this body. The carbonation is substantial and fits well in the mouth.

Overall - A classic West Coast IPA style that deserves the spot it has on the BA Top 250. I think it can move higher.

4.62/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Great tropical smell amazing taste one of my favorite ipas.

3.92/5  rDev -10.3%

I actually liked this beer more than I expected to, given that I'm not a big IPA guy. This one looks intimidating from the outside, with a slightly higher alcohol content and 100 IBU's, but it doesn't just beat you into submission with hops. There's a good flavor here and I can see why this is their biggest seller. If I could get more of this brewery's stuff in my area, I'd try other beers from them too.

This got me hooked on IPAs. All others prior were too strong, too flat, too citrus-y, too pine-y... too overpowering and unbalanced. Some are just plain boring. This one is just right.

4.42/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Hoppy goodness from La Cumbre. Delicious without being too bitter; every bit as good as if not better than Heady. Looking forward to trying Project Dank.

4.74/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I've only had a few but they were a most memorable experience.

4.2/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

16oz can that's about a month old. Thanks to BeerMeBro720 for this one!

A: Pours a rusty orange shade of gold with a big, foamy head

S: Pineapple, sweet caramel malt, resin, soap(?), candied citrus, and pine

T: Tastes exactly like it smells: bitter pine, sweet pineapple, citrus, and more pine. Not as bitter as I was expecting from the IBU count, which I think is a compliment to how well-blended the flavor profile is.

M: Smooth, with a lovely dry and very, very bitter finish.

O: Pretty good stuff. This would be a repeat player if I lived in the ABQ.

4.25/5  rDev -2.7%

Can brought back by David and shared tonight at the Christmas Party.
Huge dank resinous hop aroma. light sweet bready maltiness. Smooth hop flavor and bitterness. That's a damn fine IPA right there, if I lived closer I'd drink these often.

4.26/5  rDev -2.5%

Tall cans from trade. Thanks. Pours clear golden orange with a creamy yet fluffy half inch white head on top. Big hop aroma wafting out of the can and my glass with definite strong pine notes, citrus and grapefruit, grass, quite classic smelling IPA but with extra big aromatics. Flavor is dry bitter pine up front, fades into lightly sweet grapefruit and mango notes, some buscuity malts, finishing dry on the palate. Medium bodied at first but surprisingly light on the tongue, resinous, plus carbonation. This is really good, but the taste doesn’t quite live up to the awesome aroma.

4.48/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

16 oz tallboy can. Sticker on the 4 pack "Canned 10/24/2014"

A: Standard color for an IPA. Soapy head with OK retention.

S: You can smell this beer as soon as you crack open a can.

T: West coast style hop bomb, so many piney, citrus notes. Light malt backbone. You don't even taste the booze. Just top notch stuff.

M: Could maybe use a little more carbonation. Almost no heat from the alcohol.

O: Been wanting to try this for a while, and it did not disappoint. A huge beer, just hoppy as hell and executed well. For $9.49/4 pack of tallboys, this is a great deal. COME TO DENVER, LA CUMBRE

4.75/5  rDev +8.7%

Very good IPA. Possibly the best beer in NM.

4.03/5  rDev -7.8%

a really solid can of ipa here, from a brewery that is new to me. this one is more of the classic simcoe centennial type hop profile with huge pine and is very bitter and woody. the malt base is nice too, sturdy enough for enormous hop dosing, while adding a fresh baked character to it. the hops are bitter all the way through, almost vegetal at the mid point they are so fresh, and then more of a pine sap thing in the finish where the sweetness of the malt flashes back with the honey sweetness of the hop oils. i love this combination. the size is just right, and the mouthfeel is right on, with a big frothy body but a cleaner finish and carbonation that keeps it moving but doesnt rush. i think i liked the full nelson and the project dank a little more even than this one, but what a solid beer, and this brewery is making a series statement with its hoppy beers. wow.

Out of the can, poured into a Zwanze 2014 glass 9/20/2014.

A- Slightly hazy yellow-copper body, one finger white head with good retention and lacing. [4]

S- Pine, resin, sweet pale malt, biscuits. And more pine. This is a very piney west coast-style IPA, make no mistake about it. [4]

F- Up front, there is a lot of pine resin, switching over to a sweet bready pale malt that is still dominated by pine, and more pine on the back-end. This is a quite bitter beer, as expected from a 100 IBU beer as listed on the can. [4.25]

M- As in the flavour profile, this is quite bitter and resinous. Medium bodied, aggressive and decently carbonated. [4]

O- Solid IPA, I’m glad to have tried this one relatively fresh but I can think of at least a handful of better IPAs out there. [4.25]

Healthy gold/amber color.

Taste a little bit of citrus

Loved the taste and would recommend.

4.37/5  rDev 0%

Really awesome on first sniff and sip, but doesn't keep up at the same level through the glass. Still solid 4.25-4.5.

4.24/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Type: 16-oz. can
Glass: Lagunitas mason jar
From: BA’s ucsbmullet
Price: N/A
Purchased: N/A; Received it on July 23, 2014
Consumed: Aug. 8, 2014
Misc.: N/A

Thanks Nick!

Poured a caramel, amber, semi-clear color with two fingers of frothy white head. Some bubbles coming up from the bottom of the glass. Very good layered foamy lacing on the sides of the glass. Very good retention on the top all the way down.

Smelled caramel, soapy pine, citrus hops, floral hops, light rye hops, orange rind, spicy Centennial hops and some wet Cascade hops. Good on the nose, initially reminding me of Modern Times’ Blazing World.

Tasted pretty close to the smell. Wow, this is tasty. Got caramel, earthy rye hops, wet Cascade hops, orange, grapefruit rind, citrus hops and faint floral hops. Pretty bitter and no hiding the 7.2 pct. ABV. Still reminds me of a double Blazing World.

Medium body. Creamy texture. Average carbonation. Long, bitter finish. A bit overwhelming at times though.

Just a really good IPA. Would love to have some more La Cumbre’s.

4.66/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Appearance- Golden amber with a one finger head produced.

Aroma- Sweet bread malts with some floral hop notes.

Taste- With the first sip there is big hop explosion yielding big grapefruit and citrus flavors, which is then followed by pine and pineapple flavors that help bring out a bitter punch. Definitely feeling the 100 ibus, which I cant say for every 100 ibu beer, but this isn't unpleasant by any means and it subsides very quickly. A slight cracker malt helps to try and balance this, which is enough for me.

Mouthfeel- Bitter but smooth, very drinkable, and plenty of carbonation present on the finish.

Overall- This is easily one of the best ipas I've tried, if not the best. I would have to give my reigning number #1 another try, but that probably won't happen for a while. Overall, an amazing beer with big tropical/grapefruit flavors that makes me want more and more. Without saying it should be clear I highly recommend this and I hope I can get my hands on more of this soon.

4.57/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This beer totally surprised me, and I was expecting good. I'm not exactly sure how fresh the cans were, but they were fresh enough. I'd safely call this Heady-lite. As close as I've had in a while with just a little less of a great finish. (which the finish could have been freshness related).

I recommend this beer a lot in my very informal review, cheers. Will be seeking more out.

4.79/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I'm not one to write many reviews, but this beer justified an exception. With being a huge IPA/DIPA fan and reading all of the reviews, I had high hopes for this beer. I generally compare every IPA that I run across to Surly Furious, as that for me, is my #1 IPA.

A- Elevated looks just like an IPA should. The head is spot on for an IPA and there is plenty of lacing.

S- The smell is of tropical fruits, pine and citrus. I'm excited... but I've been down this road many times where I've been stoked about a beer, only to be let down by the taste.

T- In a word: AMAZING! When I took my first sip, I immediately thought "FURIOUS!" The tropical and citrus fruits shine on this, and there is just enough malt to balance it all out.

M- This is creamy and smooth. The drinkability on this is off the charts!

O- This is a fantastic beer and well deserving of the high marks it gets. I'm not sure in a blind taste test that I could distinguish between (my beloved) Furious and Elevated. Quite frankly, I'm a little shocked there aren't more comparisons of the two in these reviews. Neither Surly or La Cumbre distribute here, so I will have to (gladly) keep trading for these. If you're reading this, take my advice and go get this beer! You will not be disappointed!

Edit: 7/10/14. I tried this side by side with Furious, and it wasn't at all what I had expected. Maybe the Furious was a bad batch? Maybe Surly has changed it up a bit? Maybe the distance between great IPA's is closing? Who knows, but the Elevated BLEW away my beloved Furious. It looks like I now have a new favorite IPA to trade for.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Huge thanks to Darrell for the hookup!

The beer is light golden orange and mostly clear with an inch of pure white head. Aromas of dank, resinous hops, pine, orange and grapefruit. Grapefruit and pine in the flavor with a general citrusy quality. Tangy and juicy. Soft carbonation, finishing with moderate bitterness and a hint of alcohol warmth. East to drink and delicious.

4.27/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

16 oz. tall boy can proudly stamped with the New Mexico flag. Pours copper, and fairly clear. A beige two finger high head has average retention and leaves a couple of rings of suds on the glass.

A resiny fastball of pine, hop oil and orange citrus. Some sweet bready malt on the end there with a breath of alcohol. Powerful hop aroma, apparently the southwest also can do hops.

Malt is pretty full with caramel sweetness that really lacks any grainy or bready character. Hops shine through with a heavy pine and resiny oils. Orange citrus rind brightens the finish, very bold flavor with a moderate bitterness and touch of alcohol.

Full malt results in a medium body and average carbonation, the hops really stick to the tongue as does the beer. Bitterness kicks up the drying feel though. Alcohol feel is moderate.

Quite a good and balanced IPA, very pine and hop oil heavy and bold at all fronts. The body is a bit dense and syrupy but really all thumbs up here.

4.34/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

MASSIVE thanks to my buddy Chico for bringing this all the way back from ABQ to MA and now I am consuming it in Chicago, Illinois on a road trip of my own. I sampled this with him once a few days ago.

A- Tallboy can poured to a square hotel glass for the review. The body is a deep golden hue and fairly clear with a one finger, frothy white head. Head retention is decent as it falls to a medium ring with nice clouds in the middle. Lacing starts with thin sheets and drizzle below that.

S- Bright hoppy aroma fills the room upon pouring the beer with a bouquet of juicy fruit nectar like tangerine, melon and cantaloupe as well as zesty orange, grapefruit and pine.

T- Hops from the nose carry over with a few small changes like the resinous pine growing with some dank and spicy floral tones. Still plenty of grapefruit, mango, melon and orange zesty feel. Slight base of cracked light grains and yeast to make it a beer but clean as a whistle nonetheless.

MF- Between light and medium bodied with a texture that is both creamy and foamy while being lightly chewy. Carbonation medium-high allowing those delicate oils to jump onto the taste buds. Finishes with a lower end bitterness.

Add this one onto the list of excellent tallboy IPAs. It seems like each region/state of the USA is getting a staple brew of this category and this appears to be that of the AZ. Lives up to expectations.

4.78/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Cans shared by stillmatic2232. Thanks man!

Pours a clear slightly dark amber, with a one inch head, and a small amount of lacing.

Smells really citrusy, tons of orange, pineapple, mango, with some pine as well.

The taste is pretty similar, and good god, is this nice. Strongly bitter, with a "pleasant astringency" (I know that's oxymoronic) that lasts throughout the entire session. Starts bitter and dry as the desert, then ends ultimately quite fruity and citrusy, tons of orange juiciness and some orange bitterness as well, tastes like orange rind. Some pineapple, grapefruit, and mango as well, and a bit of earthiness and pine. Just simply delicious. Awesome.

Medium bodied, slightly creamy mouthfeel, but finishes crisp and bone dry. Medium carbonation.

This one of the best IPAs in the country. Honestly mind-blowing.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

The last of a 4-pack picked up at the brewery during a road trip. Had never heard of La Cumbre prior to getting there, this was a really nice find while in Albuquerque. This can is probably about 2 weeks old.

Appearance - Beer is darkish copper orange with a white head and a slight haze to it. Decent retention, bits of lace left.

Smell - Good mix of tropical fruit, grapefruit, mango, earthy dank, some veggie hop. Big hops with just a touch of toasty bread malt. Nice and potent.

Taste - Follows with solid balance of general tropical fruit, pine, earth, and light onion. Pretty intense bitterness with just bits of bready and caramel malts peaking through. A small step down from the scent perhaps, but still very good.

Mouthfeel - The feel is great, very smooth, somewhat big-feeling with decent carbonation. Bitterness delivers both pain and pleasure, and it remains quite drinkable.

Overall - Great. I love the flavorful hop assault, maybe could use a bit more balance but I'm not complaining.

Elevated IPA from La Cumbre Brewing Co.