Elevated IPA - La Cumbre Brewing Co.

Elevated IPAElevated IPA

La Cumbre Brewing Co. visit their website
New Mexico, United States

Did someone ask for hops? Tired of beers that promise a full lupulin experience, but never deliver more than richly malted bitterness? It’s no secret that this is what we excel at. We’ve been brewing world class IPAs for years. Our flagship is the culmination of a decades worth of studying and brewing. Take a step above and acclimate to what an IPA should be.

(Beer added by: jdense on 02-13-2011)

3.75/5  rDev -14.2%

4.78/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I'm not one to write many reviews, but this beer justified an exception. With being a huge IPA/DIPA fan and reading all of the reviews, I had high hopes for this beer. I generally compare every IPA that I run across to Surly Furious, as that for me, is my #1 IPA.

A- Elevated looks just like an IPA should. The head is spot on for an IPA and there is plenty of lacing.

S- The smell is of tropical fruits, pine and citrus. I'm excited... but I've been down this road many times where I've been stoked about a beer, only to be let down by the taste.

T- In a word: AMAZING! When I took my first sip, I immediately thought "FURIOUS!" The tropical and citrus fruits shine on this, and there is just enough malt to balance it all out.

M- This is creamy and smooth. The drinkability on this is off the charts!

O- This is a fantastic beer and well deserving of the high marks it gets. I'm not sure in a blind taste test that I could distinguish between (my beloved) Furious and Elevated. Quite frankly, I'm a little shocked there aren't more comparisons of the two in these reviews. Neither Surly or La Cumbre distribute here, so I will have to (gladly) keep trading for these. If you're reading this, take my advice and go get this beer! You will not be disappointed!

Edit: 7/10/14. I tried this side by side with Furious, and it wasn't at all what I had expected. Maybe the Furious was a bad batch? Maybe Surly has changed it up a bit? Maybe the distance between great IPA's is closing? Who knows, but the Elevated BLEW away my beloved Furious. It looks like I now have a new favorite IPA to trade for.

4.24/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Huge thanks to Darrell for the hookup!

The beer is light golden orange and mostly clear with an inch of pure white head. Aromas of dank, resinous hops, pine, orange and grapefruit. Grapefruit and pine in the flavor with a general citrusy quality. Tangy and juicy. Soft carbonation, finishing with moderate bitterness and a hint of alcohol warmth. East to drink and delicious.

4.26/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

16 oz. tall boy can proudly stamped with the New Mexico flag. Pours copper, and fairly clear. A beige two finger high head has average retention and leaves a couple of rings of suds on the glass.

A resiny fastball of pine, hop oil and orange citrus. Some sweet bready malt on the end there with a breath of alcohol. Powerful hop aroma, apparently the southwest also can do hops.

Malt is pretty full with caramel sweetness that really lacks any grainy or bready character. Hops shine through with a heavy pine and resiny oils. Orange citrus rind brightens the finish, very bold flavor with a moderate bitterness and touch of alcohol.

Full malt results in a medium body and average carbonation, the hops really stick to the tongue as does the beer. Bitterness kicks up the drying feel though. Alcohol feel is moderate.

Quite a good and balanced IPA, very pine and hop oil heavy and bold at all fronts. The body is a bit dense and syrupy but really all thumbs up here.

4.5/5  rDev +3%

Elevated IPA from La Cumbre Brewing Co.