2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Malpais Stout - La Cumbre Brewing Co.

Malpais StoutMalpais Stout

La Cumbre Brewing Co. visit their website
New Mexico, United States

Foreign / Export Stout |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: t0rin0 on 04-01-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 38 | Reviews: 5 | Show All Ratings:
ONovoMexicano

New Mexico

4.21/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a La Cumbre pint glass.

Funny that I've had this beer so many times and never reviewed it. I'm overdue.

Pouring Malpais from the can, I can't help but notice the engine oil appearance, and thick viscosity. This looks like a meal in a can. The liquid is pitch black and a dark khaki-colored head forms a finger-thick over it. It dissipates into a sticky lace.

Lots of dark, dry, roasted malts hit my nose. Some smokiness is there that reminds me of a campfire. There's a tiny bit of vanilla poking through too.

I'm still at the campfire with my first sip. Smoky, roasted dark malts tell me I should be in the mountains. Baker's chocolate lingers at the finish with the sweet vanilla doing away with some of the bitter, dryness. I get a slight hint of hops up front too, giving a bit of a bite. This is definitely a nice touch.

Call me crazy, but I'm loving this beer more from the can, same as how I feel about Elevated sometimes. It's creamy, thick yet smooth, and offers a touch of hips for bitterness, as well as some of that dry stout feel, yet is still sweet enough to almost to please. It's damn good.

I am headed down south to Ruidoso next week and will be picking up a 4-pack of this for the camping trip. Well done, La Cumbre.

Serving type: can

03-13-2014 03:08:33 | More by ONovoMexicano
BobZ

Poured into a pint glass from a very well filled growler . Another extra courtesy of GHB.

Appearance: Almost black with a tan head of about 1/2", decent lacing.

Smell: Big roasted malt and coffee are upfront, maybe some chocolate too; however, the coffee dominates.

Taste: The roasted malt and dark roast coffee flavors are very much like an RIS, big and bold. You do get some dark chocolate flavors on the finish but they are secondary. The bitterness seems to come mostly from the roasted malt more so than any noticeable hop presence.

Mouthfeel: Pretty smooth with a nice, clean finish.

Overall: A very tasty stout and one I was glad to have the opportunity to try.

Serving type: growler

06-03-2013 17:14:56 | More by BobZ
MDDMD

4.14/5  rDev -1%

A-dark brown black color with a decent tan head and good lacing

S-roasted malt, chocolate, hint of carmelized sugar and coffee

T-rich dark roasted malt, chocolate, brown sugar, earthy, mild bitterness to the finish

F- medium body with moderate carbonation, rich and smooth

O- a nice stout with good flavors and rich taste

05-25-2013 15:01:59 | More by MDDMD
elNopalero

4.55/5  rDev +8.9%

This pours a roasty black in color with tight foam lacing atop. It has a great roast aroma full of dark chocolate & cocoa nibs. On my first sniff i picked up layers of roast, toffee, toast and roastiness but after tasting the flavor comes across on my palate, muting the complexity I found in the aroma. Don’t get me wrong, it’s just the nuances I detected while inhaling are now nuances I find on the palate. Lots of roast, lots of toast, and a wonderful dark coffee/dark chocolate flavoring. It finishes dry and goes down smoothly. Not a hoppy stout but there is a pronounced bitterness giving it definition. Thinner bodied than I tend to prefer but utterly tasty nonetheless.

07-18-2012 18:09:15 | More by elNopalero
t0rin0

3.3/5  rDev -21.1%

From their site: This is a meal in a glass. Brewed with 7 different malts and served cask-conditioned, you should be ready for a full onslaught of creamy stout intensity. Broadly in the style of a Foreign Extra Stout, this is our heaviest and most intense year-round offering.

7% ABV, 60 IBUs

Sampled 3/4/2011 at a tasting held at Atlas/AZ Wine during RBWG 2011.

Pours mostly black, somewhat hazy with brown showing through, tan head that doesnt last but laces decently.

Aroma is ash, roast, some chocolate, and smoke.

Flavor is very harsh. Ash and smoke are the first things that I notice along with the bitter/acrid feel. Behind the burnt offerings quality there is some chocolate and roast along with trace amounts of maltiness.

Body is medium and not overly drinkable. Too harsh to enjoy. This beer almost needs to oxidize.

Ƭίcƙ.

Serving type: growler

04-01-2011 18:29:14 | More by t0rin0
Malpais Stout from La Cumbre Brewing Co.