Panil Barriquée (Italy Version) - Panil

Panil Barriquée  (Italy Version)Panil Barriquée  (Italy Version)

Panil visit their website
Italy

Flanders Red Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: stcules on 07-30-2004

This version is not exported to the US.
Ratings: 152 | Reviews: 120
3.94/5  rDev -5.5%

BIG ups to andrenaline for including this in our most recent cross country trade
A - swampy purple amber, thumb of head receded to half a finger and left plenty of consistent lacing
S - sour cherry, apple, and some citrus, musty with a dry cracker aroma
T - big sour apple and cherry up front, followed by a musty sawdust thing, cracker malt, and a touch of champagne
M - light and bubbly, tart sour kick with a hint of sweetness for balance, finishes dry
O - I am fairly new to the style but this speaks to me, the flavours are bold but friendly and generally inviting

4.65/5  rDev +11.5%

Great looking ale. A rich brown with amber tints. The nose has sweet malts, tart fruits, oak and musky funk. Taste has sweet caramel malts balanced by sour fruit, oak and a subtle barnyard manure presence. Medium body with delicate carbonation. Great example of the style from this Italian brewery. Well balanced indeed.

4.23/5  rDev +1.4%

This one pours a brown color with a perfect medium head with great retention and leaves some nice lacing on the glass. The aroma has a definate sourness with a lot of cherry and hints of wood. Smells nice. The flavor is very sour. Very sour. The cherries are definately there but the sourness takes the forefront. There is also a strong woody character that comes in with the cherries. The wood really comes throughthe more I drink - it gives it a strange flavor and mouthfeel. The mouthfeel is moderate to thick and the drinkability is good if you like sour beers. Sour beers aren't really my thing, but this is a good one.

4.4/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

2005 vintage 750 mL bottle. Triple fermented 8% ABV unfiltered and unpastuerized.

Pours with a dark ominous violet auburn hue topped with a frothy dese 1/2" head cap that slowly surrenders to a wafer thin layer. A few healthy swirls brings up a patchy headcap. Second pour contains a solid layer of puffy thick dense cover.

Piquant aroma of Granny Smith apples and a musty cobweb laden funky lemon peel.

First swigs: Cranberry and green apple initially. There is a deep resinance of tart lemon. Crisp Sweet Tart candy. Apple aspects seem to surround the palate here. Clean flavors and the aftertaste is a light linger of madieria. Woody aspect is subdued but present. A tad vinous once warmed a bit.

Feel is soft and gently carbonated. Mild light bodied. Easy drinkability. Good match beer with some dark fruit.

Last swigs: Finally reviewed after having many bottles with friends. A tad ecclectic and I'd need to be in the mood to have this tart art again. Excelent version of the style.

Beer is good. Happy beering.

4.39/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

My bottle features a blue and purple label with a white drawn oak barrel. Bottled in 2005, the interesting cap has a small embedded plastic cork that gave a healthy pop when I got it off. Pours from the bottle a deep dark brown with tons of garnet hues. Very mellow carbonation creates only a small bubbly head that becomes a ring around the glass with spotty lacing. Aromas hit before I even pick up the glass. Sour cherries and oak collide with a sweet burnt caramel, brown sugar note underneath. A bit funky with some vinegar-esque acidity in the nose. The mix of sweet, sour and wood aromas is quite tantalizing. Simply a lovely aroma.

First sip brings a mix of sweet, warm caramel notes along with a blast of slightly puckering sour cherry. Dry, earthy woody oak flavors flow throughout the length of each sip. A bit vinous in character, I'm enjoying the interplay between the sweet and sour sides of this brew. Fairly acidic with a steady sharp, earthy yeast flavor throught. The subtle funkiness reminds me of a nice lambic. With each sip I can envision the barrel containing this brew, sitting in a dark corner in the brewery, slowly awaiting the day it will be ready to be bottled. Yum.

Mouthfeel is smooth and a bit slick with a really mellow carbonation that allows it to slide across the palate and into my beer lovin stomach. Quite the tasty flanders red here. It's easy to sit and adore a 750ml bottle of this fine Italian brew. Well worth the bigger price tag, Panil deserves praise for creating a truly tasty beer. Thanks to Shelton for bringing this over to the sour beer lovers like me in the US. Now that the bottle is almost gone....it's time to seek out more!

4.97/5  rDev +19.2%

This beer was purchased at the Belmont Party Supply in Dayton. The beer was served in a flute glass. The beer was the 2005 vintage.

Appearance: The beer is a light reddish orange coloration. The beer had major tight boiling carbonation. The head was a consistant 1 finger high biege coloration. The beer left major lacing on my glass.

Smell: The beer has killer combonation of both sweet and tart cherries, funky bret yeast, earthy vanilla wooden oakeyness, with a pleasing flash of boozey cognac. The beer filled my sense of smell from the time I opened it until the beer was long gone.

Taste: The beer delivers on the smell in regards to taste. The beer is melange of sweet/ sour and tart cherries, green apples, vanilla oak, and funky bret yeasyness. The beer is plenty complex and I am not sure I did it justice.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer is light bodied but very firm. The beer is a tour de force of sweet, sour and funky yeastyness. The beer is acidic at times and smooth at others. The beer is very enjoyable. From the very first smell until long after the glass was empty I enjoyed this beer. The beer is a bit pricey but well worth the treat. I will be purchasing this beer at a later point.

4.3/5  rDev +3.1%

750ml
$7.99
Sam's Marcey

Batch #8
Bottle #2086

I stumbled across a deal on these at Sam's a couple months back. Panil Barriquée has a leathery red body with some shimmers of copper when backlit. There's a little haziness to the beer but yeast has settled surprisingly well. A soft pour wasn't producing much of a head so a more aggressive pour was needed and produced a two finger head. The head is bone white but has the faintest hint of red that's most likely in my mind. After a few minutes of settling the head became a thin cap with a dense collar that left behind thick, impressive drink lines.

There's a big dose of bright, tart cherries that hits me right off the bat. A slight lactic sourness along with notes of both cider and balsamic vinegar take over. There's an interesting Sweet Tart candy sweetness in the background that plays well with the sour notes. Musty, damp oak flits through here and there adding another layer of depth. My mouth waters after every deep pull I take on this Flanders Red.

A cherry tartness runs throughout this brew but is most noticeable when it first hits my tongue. The cider vinegar takes over mid palate with soft waves of that same candy-like sweetness that was found in the nose. There's a faint touch of lactic sourness with the damp, musty oakiness staying constant but mellow. The sweet and sour goes back and forth in incredible ways that makes it tough to set the glass down. It's tough to beat Panil Barriquée when it comes to Flanders reds.

The body is light on the tongue and the carbonation is healthy enough to keep it flowing at a steady clip. The sourness sticks to the sides and bottom of the tongue while the sweetness runs down the middle. The finish brings along a slight woody dryness.

Panil Barriquée is a gulpable. The sweet and sour play off each other so well it's nearly impossible to set the glass down. The refreshment factor is off the charts and the bottle disappears far too quickly if not checked.

This is a wonderful Flanders Red from the boot and one of the best in its class. This happens to be one of those beers I always like to have at least one bottle in the house at all times.

4.45/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Pours a medium brown with a deep blood red hue. When the head fades it ends in a light brown color that lasts the duration of the beer.

Smell: The initial reaction well I first smelled this beer was to pull it away from my nose. Like when opening a big jug of vinegar you turn your nose from that intense aroma. After the initial shock I quickly fell in love with the *BIG* funky aroma. It is very acidic with apple cider vinegar and solvent warming your nose but then the Brettanomyces wild yeast sour cherries, raspberries, figs, oak barrel port soaked wood and booze, absolutely filled nose and all my senses from head to toe.

Taste: Like the aroma the taste is intense. As a Flanders Red it drinks much like a Lambic meets a Wild Ale - get married and honeymoon in an oak barrel for a year. mmm yummy. Pleasantly tart with sour cherries, raspberries and tannic oak or apple cider vinegar, hint of vanilla, cognac, and Brettanomyces funk. The finish is Lambic-like acidic but ooh so tasty.

Mouthfeel: It is a little too busy in the mouth. The dry acidity and the very fine carbonation bubbles create a sudsy spritzy feel with a bit of alcohol showing through it is semi-rough in the mouth. That said it still slides down the hatch quite easily it simply not quite as relaxed as some others in the style.

Drinkability: What to say. It is certainly a sipping beer, but boy I could sip it aaallll niiight looong!! =) mmm.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

4.49/5  rDev +7.7%

Panil pours a murky burgundy color with a small off white head that soon fades. Head fades and lacing is weak. It just looks yeasty from the start.

Immediately I can tell this was aged in wood. Woody tannins come out along with a cherry tartlike flavor. Lots of earthy goodness is in there and some of that farmhouse yeast funk, but not too much. Apple sweetness, maybe just apple skins as well. There's also a decent amount of lactic acid notes throughout the entire aroma giving it more of a red wine like smell.

Flavors begin quite mild and with a lighter body than I was expecting. Not nearly as tart or funky as I thought this beer might be. At first, this was disappointing but soon the sheer complexity and balance showcased the truly spectacular nature of this beer.

Very clean in flavor with a fresh picked fruity lightness at first. Raspberries and olive oil. Darker fruits emerge. Roasted figs. Tartness increased further into the palate and also further down the bottle. Earthy flavors and sour cherry come towards the end. The stronger acidity in the aroma only lingers in the background. Perfect level. Finish shows some of that woody tannins along with a bit of vanilla and is actually sweeter than I would have thought.

The feel on the palate is excellent in terms of balance, levels of acidity, levels of tannin. There's a stint of creaminess in there as well which is nice. My only problem is the carbonation which I'd like to see amped up a bit. I think the milder flavors would come out more and the complexity might reach a new height.

Finished the bottle and I wanted more. Unfortunately, there's no Panil in Michigan and eitherways, with the price, I don't think I could afford any more. But this was enjoyable though the alcohol crept up on me, even though it was hardly noticeable while tasting.

I paired this with a Prime Rib and it was a decent pairing. The first half went with steak, the other half was the digestif. I liked this more and more as I sipped on it. This is definitely a beer one would appreciate the further they delved into its nuances and flavors. Not the most extreme, but maybe the best made.

4.27/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured this 750 mL dark green bottle into a Lindemans flute. 2006 vintage. There was a mild hiss when I opened this one. No head to speak of, even with a hearty pour. The body was honey/apple cider colored and was increasingly murky with each pour. Tiny bubbles stick to the sides of the flute.

Smell was sour, tangy sweet. Organic. Slightly amonia-like. Not as pungent as expected.

Taste was Apple juice and woodiness (three months in Congnac barrels!). Mildly sweet. Apple peel and cracked pepper. Fruity and refreshing. No alcohol was detectable. Very drinkable but not as sour as I had anticipated.

Mouthfeel was silky. Medium/thin in body. Faint carbonation.

4.18/5  rDev +0.2%

750 mL bottle from the LCBO; bottled in December 2011. I've never tried (let alone reviewed) a sour before, which was really my main reason for picking this bottle up in the first place.

Pours a muddy brownish-amber colour, opaque with haze. Not a lot of head here - the scant quantity of off-white foam that was generated from the pour fizzles away within a minute, but leaves behind a ring of lacing. Basically looks like a glass of unfiltered apple juice/cider. The aroma is, perhaps unsurprisingly, on the tart side - apple cider again comes to mind, along with malt vinegar, sour cherries and oaked California Chardonnay.

The flavour is unlike any beer I have ever tried previously, and pretty enjoyable if I do say so myself. Tart flavour with a wide array of fruity notes brushing the palate - cherries are the most prominent, but I am also able to pick out lemon and Granny Smith apple. Combined with the acetic acid, the whole profile has a bit of a Chardonnay-mixed-with-vinegar vibe - which, having read that line over again after typing it, sounds much less appealing than it actually tastes. The tartness is prominent (especially to my unaccustomed tongue), but there is enough caramel malt sweetness to keep it in check. Astringent finish with some light puckering and woodiness. Medium-bodied, with relatively mild carbonation and a smooth mouthfeel. The 8% abv is nowhere to be seen - I have had 5.5% pale lagers with more booze raunch than this.

It has been a long time since I have tried a beer style that differs so greatly from anything I have consumed previously. It really does remind me more of wine than beer - and as with any bottle of wine, I probably should have shared this with someone else, because 0.75 litres is a bit much for me.

Final Grade: 4.18, an A-. Panil Barriquee is a thoroughly enjoyable sour - and, speaking from experience, seems to be a good introduction to the style for newbies like me. The balance between the tartness of the various fruit flavours/acetic, and the sweetness of the malts is nothing short of excellent - to say nothing of the masterfully-cloaked ABV, or the pleasant woodiness of the profile, or the fact that it is tasty both when chilled and after warming up to room temperature. I'm still not convinced that sours are up my alley, but I found myself with nothing but compliments for this highly quaffable example. Highly recommended, and something I may get again some time.

4.87/5  rDev +16.8%

15.99 at Bauer Wines in Boston. My bottle was bottled in 2005 and sports a blue and purple label rather than the one pictured on BA.

I thought this beer was packaged like Cantillon with an oversized cap and a cork, but instead of having a cork, the cap has a large plastic ring on the inside. Ive never seen a cap this elaborate or unique.

Pours a hazy brown with sherry hints. The head is small and composed of very big bubbles. Retention is excellent, unusual for a head like this. Lacing is fine veins of dense foam. The aroma is pure perfection; A wonderful balance of sweet and sour with a million other flavors. Woody oak, tart berries, caramel, cocoa powder, vanilla and freshly packed earth all abound.

The taste is sour first with plenty of sour cherry and cherry pit flavors. Sourness is almost immediately matched by an intricate malt profile. I taste milk chocolate, dark fruit and caramel. Funky, leathery, earthy yeast flavors show in good measure throghout. A wonderful oaky/vanilla flavor is always present, adding to the breathtaking complexity of this brew. The mouthfeel is thick and masterfully carbonated. So soft yet expansive. The finish is dry and subtly sour with all the other flavors in toe. Alcohol is almost inperceptable. Impeccably hidden.

Not as sour as Rodenbach Grand Cru, more of a complex nuanced beast. Id say this is the best sour ale Ive yet sampled. Im a stickler for flavor complexity in beers and I can say Im more than satisfied with this amazing ale. Its worth the hefty price tag.

4.89/5  rDev +17.3%

Large capped bottle, bottled in 2006 according to the sticker.
Nice looking reddish-brown beer with a bubbly pinkish head that is unfortunately minimal, with essentially no lacing.
An impressive, rich and unique aroma comes out of the glass efortlessly, and the best way to describe it is a mixture of a typical flanders red nose, with the nose of a lambic added. Complex, unique. Tart, acidic, fruity, at times reminiscent of champagne, at times reminiscent of guarana, and ever changing.
Soft and refreshing, which is amazing for its high alcoholic content. Taste is as suggested by the nose; complex, unique, and again, feels like you have all the tastes from a flanders red plus the lambic tastes; it is more acidic, tart and sour than other flander reds, with some intervening sweetness, but a lot less than others.
Impressive, refreshing, easy to have a lot of it, I just wish I had more.
A very impressive brew, thanks cresant for the opportunity.

3.82/5  rDev -8.4%

Saw this bottle and picked it up on a whim. Different label than the one pitcured. Poured a deep brown in color with nary a shade of any other color. Thin film sitting on top and no lace except for some spots around the glass. Nose was full of sweet fruit, bowls of cherries and a pleasing sourness.

Flavor is a lip puckering sourness of cherries and blackberries. Oddly though, the sourness kind of gathers toward the back of the mouth and not so much the lips. More of a pleasing sour than a painful negative one--kind of like Sourpatch Kids candies. Yeast comes out as mildyl pungent in the finish. Medium body that leans a bit thin--but appropriate for the style. Might just be me but I find it a bit granular as well. Nice dessert beer that is nice and drinkable.

4.4/5  rDev +5.5%

I have had this beer for some time now (It says bottled in 2005 on the bottle), and my son is going to be born in two days...I won't be able to drink in the hospital, so I might as well start celebrating now. I am tackling the whole 750mL bottle myself. Here we go.

Appearance: The beer foamed over on me when I first opened it, but it still poured a full glass with a solid 1/2" of thick off white foam on top. The beer looks like it would be pretty clear, but there are a whole bunch of bubbles rising to make it look a little cloudy. There is considerable lacing left on the glass after drinking the beer, but it is not in small wisps, but rather solid masses of drying foam.

Aroma: The aroma is really nice on this beer. It is very complex with cherries, and a subtle wine impression. There are a whole lot of toasty notes from the malt and the wood aging is apparent as dry earthy aromatics and a subtle vanilla. The alcohol is coming out more as it warms by adding a spice to the whole profile. Man, the aroma is really nice with this beer.

Taste: The flavor is a tad short of how the aroma built the beer up, but this is still an excellent beer. There is tons of fruitiness in here, but the malt is playing a supporting role overall. The mouthfeel is light and very fizzy on the tongue. It passes right over the palate like nobody's business, and then straight to the back of the throat. There is some acidity in the finish that you get before the sourness makes it rather dry in the finish and masks the alcohol well. I am noticing a warming in my face before any warming in the finish.

Opinion: I am rather impressed with this beer. It not quite a Rodenbach or anything, but it is still a contender with those incredible beers. The overall presentation of this beer has been very pleasant for me, and I would certainly drink this beer again. I would put it into the category of a "starter Flanders" if there was such a thing. It isn't as assertive as I like them, but it a world class beer nonetheless.

4.42/5  rDev +6%

In the glass the beer looks like a reddish amber reminiscent of bourbon or a heavier apple juice. The head is an irregular clumpy light vanilla.

Smells of a hint of sweet caramel and a sharp granny smith sour apple. There's also a green sappy oak that seems to be lit on fire and emanating a touch of tobacco smoke.

Tastes too of sweet caramel and the tangy green apple but more on the end of the fibrous, under-ripe apple. It then effervesces off the tongue into a simple CO2 bite with a clean sour sting. The way the flavor steps up and fades away clean is rather pleasant.

Feels very light and glassy clean that drys my mouth out quite a bit in the finish in a great fruity way.

Wow. An archetypal Flanders Red. Wonderfully drinkable. An ideal candidate for expanding the palate of the uninitiated.

4.72/5  rDev +13.2%

Dark murky burgandy with a frothy beige head supported by a constant stream of carbonation.

Aroma is equally dark and mysterious, with rotting crushed grapes and apples, barnyard funk, tart rasberry vinegar, bubblegum, tawny oakiness, dark cherries and plum, and hints of ripe banana.

Flavor furthers the complexity with sweet decaying grape, apple, and fruit notes at the gate. There's a great bubblegum note that reminds me of the way the colored bubblegum cigars tasted when I was a kid. As it warms more flavor comes out: tart cherries, vanilla oakiness, band-aids, and nuances of red wine. It leaves the prickly tickle of Brett in the back of your throat with each sip and a perfect balance of tart funky flavors and fruity sweetness. It really goes back and forth on your palate. So complex. The 8% not noticable in any way, merely upping the ante.

Body is medium, soft, creamy, and smooth as silk. I've never experienced such drinkability in a Flanders Red before, This is glorious stuff!

Thanks Gabe!

3.95/5  rDev -5.3%

Got in a trade with rajendra82 - many thanks! Poured from a 750ml bottle with a bottled date of 2006 into my NBB snifter. It was deep reddish amber with some yeast bits floating around. It had no head even after a hard pour at the end - not even a single particle of foam. It was at proper temp so not sure what happened. The smell was pretty good with sour cherries and oaky vanilla but was a little weak. The taste followed the aroma but was weaker than I expected. The taste and the mouthfeel both tasted watered down. Gonna have to try another one to ensure that my sample was good. Overall, not bad but definitely not worthy of the high ratings and #2 Flanders Red Ale rank. (4, try again, T, O)

3.53/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Dark, cooked cherry color…totally unfiltered. Head is present but weak, although fitting for the style.

S: Pungent oak, tart raspberries and some barnyard funk.

T: Begins mildly sour with a lot of oak to it. Not nearly as sour or pungent as some of the other sours on the market. Minor amounts of vitamin C, strawberry, cherry and mixed berries. High amount of mineral content and earthiness. Really this beer is all about the oak and limestone with some sourness mixed in. Not a lot of lip smacking going on but I’d imagine this beer appeals to quite a few people because of that.

M: Medium body, smooth and soft.

D: I was expecting more, especially out of a fresh version. I don’t think I’d want to try an aged version of this beer, I’d imagine it would have lost almost all of its character. For me, I like my sours just a bit more sour.

4.18/5  rDev +0.2%

It pours a very hazy brownish amber, looking red in the off light, with a soft orange aura. A thin web of large bubbles exist only due to a rough pour. With no real head, there's no real lacing.

The aroma brings a mild malt note, soft with biscuit and caramel. A light barnyard funk and yeasty sourness pervade. Tart cherry dampens a breath of alcohol.

Upon sipping, the initial and brief malt sweetness, vague for its brevity, is dwarfed by a fetchingly tart and sour acidity, woody and mature like balsamic vinegar. An earthy mustiness lends a touch of mystery, and alcohol and a feather of horsiness wend their way to a dry but fruity and crisp finish. The result is an almost primal puissant pleasure.

Between light and medium bodied, its presence is of lightly sweet and tangy fruit juice with just the merest sparkling essence.

This beer makes it clear that at least one Italian brewer can give the Flemish folks a run for their sour money. It's not for every palate, but those who enjoy the style should enjoy this as I do. the ABV is legitimate, but its mellow in personality and does nothing to hinder the considerable drinkability. This is la dolce vita in a glass. And so, for now, ciao.

4.45/5  rDev +6.7%

my 750 ml was different than the one pictured here, more of a purple label with a pink sketch of a barrel on it. black shrinkwrapped top over a cap only (had the corkscrew ready to go, stupidly).

fell quite cloudy in the glass, settled with beautiful color spectrum in full view.. from an almost-black surface to blood red, to golden orange and straw in the bottom of the flute. circular, insulated bubble ring and cloudy waves of foam. nose produces cherry, fresh tobacco and a mouthwatering sourness creeps into the throat and gets the glands going. the wood in the aroma is fresh cut, resinous. it's not oaky vanilla by any means.

mouthfeel is perfect, as is the sourness.. clean without a woody, leathery must. young, but insanely drinkable (for a FSR) in said youth. citric sourness like a yuzu fruit coats my throat on the way down and causes a serious twitch. hops seem to mildly accentuate the whole fresh vibe and creates an overall terrific sour red. gotta seek out more new reds like this and drink them asap.

Reminds me of a particularly sour batch of 2002 Goudenband in one of its bygone peaks, red fruited, though slightly meatier with oak and more dramatic with iron and steel metallic flavor. Brown liquid with loitering drippy freckles of foam. Aromas of cookie, box of nails, decomposing plum, black grape and vanilla. Quite dry and sour. Fleshy mousse. Sweet brown spices. Sandalwood. Oak. Very easy to draw drink after drink from. The combination of hushed seriousness and uncontrollable drinkability is possibly unique among all beers. Pure beer umami.

I don't really know this beer yet, but the operatic clash of plump, pulpy fruit and relentless iron and acidity seems legitimate: no seams, no ego. It has a vulgar surface character that coexists with aristocratic soul. For now I have to believe this beer is perfect.

4.42/5  rDev +6%

2006 vintage in 2009. Was a bit flat, I guess that happens with older vintages of this one. Please read my review in light of that fact.

Appearance: Poured flat, no head or carbonation. Beautiful burgundy-amber-caramel-orange; looks like an uncut ruby.

Smell: Sour cherry, cognac, merlot, figs, tea, prunes, raisins, vanilla, good balsalmic vinegar, pipe tobacco, with wood and a bit of archive room funk with a hint of vinegar.

Taste: Sour cherry, brown sugar, merlot, cognag, figs, prunes, raisins, vanilla oak, tannins, leather-bound mustiness. A nice acidicy.

Mouthfeel: A nice full body, perfect for the style and more than I expected.

Drinkability: I drank this flat and loved every drop. I am guessing it is amazing with the right carbonation.

Certainly better than rodenbach classic, and a little better than duchesse - less vinegar, and less sweet.

3.59/5  rDev -13.9%

$15.39 at Holiday Wine Cellar in Excondido, CA, March 2007. Tasted in late May of the same year. 750 ml bottle with label showing it as 2006 vintage.

Pours a pretty ruddy brown, completely flat. No carbonation, Flat. In fact, after having drunk most of the bottle, this one must be a bad one. Because I can sense from the flavor that this has the potential to be a good, or even a very good beer. But it's flat. And I am disappointed therein.

A very nice sweet sour dance tells me I really want to enjoy this one some day. But for now, it only gets so so scores- compared to the hype on this beer, I am quite disappointed, especially for the price. I'll re-review when I get a chance.

4.22/5  rDev +1.2%

This is a pretty good Flanders Red, though it almost seems like it could just as easily be an Oud Bruin.

The beer pours to a dark, nutty brown color with a deep mahogany red hue. Little to no head. No lacing. Little carbonation.

The smell is great. Nice rasberry tartness with a hint of lactic acid. A hint of vinegar. Some nutty tones as well.

The flavor is very smooth. Not as acidic or tart as I would expect from the nose. Has a nice roasted and nutty finish. Fairly dry.

This beer has nothing on La Folie. It's very good, and probably more complex, but nowhere near as drinkable.

Panil Barriquée (Italy Version) from Panil