Panil Barriquée (Sour Version) - Panil

Panil Barriquée (Sour Version)Panil Barriquée (Sour Version)

Panil visit their website
Italy

Flanders Red Ale |  8.00% ABV

This is the version imported to the US.

(Beer added by: Phyl21ca on 10-23-2006)
« first ‹ prev | 276-300 | 301-325 | 326-350  | next › last »

It's time like these that take me back to my late teenage years when I tasted Spaten for the first time and though to myself: "What the hell is this?? This is what beer can be??"

Pours a very dark brown amber. Looks ruby tinted when held to light. Nose is mild cherry woods. Stays consistent and never waivers. Flavor is mildy sour. Mild wood character. Really; mild is the key word here. Feel is thick a bit on the liquid and good on the bubble. Overall pretty drinkable. Seems a bit rough around the edges (though it isn't much really). Definitely a very good version of the style, but not the absolute greatest. This might be a good introductory beer for newcomers to the style.

RblWthACoz, Dec 31, 2007
3.15/5  rDev -20.7%

I shared a 750 ml capped bottle with a wax cover with a couple of beer buddies during a pre-holiday home sampling event. We poured the brew into chilled tulips.

A: It poured a reddish brown body that when back lit looked more of a semi-clear ruddy red. There was hardly any head despite a somewhat aggressive pour. The lack of a head limited the lacing to an occasional spot of thin legs that quickly disappeared.

S: It had the aroma of over-ripe sour fruits (e.g., white grapes, green apples). There was a herbal earthy accent that came in and out.

T: It bit the tongue with a bitter sour taste that reminded me of a dry white wine. The taste followed the nose resulting in an abundance of ripe sour fruits with green apples dominating. There were also hints of earthy spices but they were quickly overcome by the sour dry flavors.

M: It was thin bodied with no carbonation. It started and finished dry and sour.

D: This is not my style so I found it hard to enjoy and doubt I will indulge again. It was too reminicent of dry white wine for my taste.

dnichols, Dec 30, 2007
3.6/5  rDev -9.3%

11/22/07- Purchased at Bottleworks in Seattle, WA.

Presentation- 750ml bottle. Wine type cork covering with a bottle cap underneath. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Off red, kinda brown colored pour. How about a dark plum look. The lightest bit of bubbles on the pour. Looks pretty flat. Leaves behind very minor spotty lace. Guess it's fairly normal per style.

Smell- Light smelling, but a good nose. Over-ripe fruits (cherries and plums). Earthy and a bit of funk. Scent is not very outgoing. Have to dig deep for it.

Taste- Was expecting a bit more sourness. It was sour, but kind of thin and watery at the same time. Notes of sour rippened cherries and light brett. Earthy as in some wines like the nose suggests.

Mouthfeel- Thin a touch watery. Reminds me of the water and cranberry juice that I mix together. Different, but not that all bad. Zero carbonation.

Drinkability- Despite is thin nature, it's got a good light sour taste and is pretty drinkable. The alcohol hits towards the finish.

GClarkage, Nov 23, 2007
4.15/5  rDev +4.5%

Bottle purchased from Hi-Time Wine Cellar in Costa Mesa for $18
Looked weird. Dark red, with muddy brown hues waving through and a noticeable decrease in head
Smelled funky. Tart and sweet with no discernable alcohol in the nose
Tasted very good. Sour, funky, thick, fruity, and yeasty
Mouthfeel was nice. Very heavy but pleasing on the palate
Drinkability was good but not great. I have had better sour beers, but this one was good. Glad I got a chance to try it, but won't be rushing out for more, as after tax it was around $20

bradford, Nov 20, 2007
4.53/5  rDev +14.1%

This is truly a special ale. Bottled in 2005, Barrique poured a deep, cloudy and unfiltered red / brown (like dark raspberries), into a small wine glass. After a vigorous pour a half inch of smooth head formed and some gorgeous lacing remained as the glass emptied. A wonderful presentation all in all. Sour grape and wine-like aromas predominated with an accent of sweet malt. After the initial sour shock on the taste buds, this Panil turned out to be quite well balanced, with enough malt presence and even some tasty hop bitterness in the far background. Very subtle taste; a connoisseur’s beer. A distinctly red wine-like mouth feel and flavor predominates. I found it to be extremely drinkable and I highly recommend it as a choice for pairing with food. It was absolutely perfect with the porterhouse steak I just ate. One of the best I’ve had in recent months.

BabaJohn, Oct 14, 2007
2.45/5  rDev -38.3%

'06 Vintage. I was so loking forward to drinking this beer, however I was underimpressed. I was ready for a big sour aroma. It didn't happen. Not much sour and not much oak. Virtually zero head. Really kind of a bland beer. I don't think I even finished the bottle. I have a feeling that I didn't get a representative bottle. I bought this at Green's on Buford this past spring. I'd like to try a fresh bottle as I love this style of beer.

doubleipa, Oct 11, 2007
4.2/5  rDev +5.8%

A - Large, foamy off-white head. The body is opaque dark brown with copper highlights.

S - Earth, sour acidity. Sweet, dark cherry notes and leathery mustiness.

T - Puckering acidity balanced by fleeting sweetness. Subtle sour cherry and grapefruit notes, orange and lemon zest. Finishes slowly and smoothly with roasted malty flavors and woody oak.

M - Very thin body and high carbonation. There is some astringency in the middle and through the finish of the beer, but it leaves the palate pretty clean when it is done.

D - The aroma of this beer is fantastic, but the flavor doesn't quite match. It is extremely refreshing with what I would consider a high level of acidity, even for the style, but it is a little too acetic for my taste. The oak character is also too assertive, or at least too coarse and woody for me. On the plus side, it has a great, complex earthiness, especially in the nose, and the roasted notes in the finish are an unusual and interesting touch. Overall, it is quite a good beer, but at nearly twice the price of Rodenbach Grand Cru it should be even better.

nickfl, Sep 19, 2007
4.03/5  rDev +1.5%

750 ml bottle, a gift from my son. Good son.

Pour into goblet yield a smallish loose head that fades quickly but leaves lots of heavy lacing. Body is hazy dark red-amber.maybe even mahogany. Nice looking beer.

Smell is strong and wonderful. Lots of vanilla over a piquant citrus base, with foundation notes of rich bready malt. You can smell this from across the room, and it's delightful. Pepper. Currants and golden raisins. Rhubarb. A bit of cherry. Over everything is that wonderful vanilla note. Really rich and compelling aromas.

The oak is definitely there in the flavor. Oak on citrus, with pepper. As the beer warms a bit, the vanilla becomes quite pronounced: vanilla and bread, but a rich bread like a popover. Not as complex or compelling as the aroma, but still nice.

Mouthfeel was a bit of a letdown: fairly thin.

Drinkability is good as far as the beer itself is concerned, but not so good with respect to the price. This is pretty expensive stuff, so it's for sipping or special occasions only.

ColoradoBobs, Sep 01, 2007
3.85/5  rDev -3%

Service Temp. 45 degrees and service glassware, Belgian tulip 12 oz.

Appearance, is a dark red with a sunrise of orange on the outskirts of the glass. Pours with a burp of bubbles along the permiter of the glass and leaves no trace of lace whatsoever.
Wafting it around all I detect is some oak, medium sourness, and a little cherry. Taste, is milder in regards to sourness, but dealable, some tarness, with a lingering mouthfeel that disguises itself initially as light. Could use a little more tartness, but much better than expected.
Feeling is that this would be a decent sour, but I am curious to see what the non barrel aged variety tastes like.

Cheers

mnapier, Aug 23, 2007
3.15/5  rDev -20.7%

Pours a hazy chestnut with no visible carbonation and a few bubbles for a head.

Sour fruit to the nose.

Taste is fairly unexciting. Sourness is present, but after any Rodenbach this is lacking.

Mouthfeel is thin and could benefit from more carbonation.

Drinkable, but this will be my last Barriquee unless I can find the other version.

techdiver, Jun 16, 2007
3.73/5  rDev -6%

Bottled in 2006

Poured into a flute glass.

Truly unique in appearance. Zero carbonation with a body tinged an orange-ruby hue. Very interesting. Here's to hoping the lack of apparent carbonation does not signal a bottle gone bad.

Strong notes of sourness and grapes. Very wine-y in nature.. the oak is hidden somewhere in there, barely perceptible. While the initial nose is sharp, there is a certain depth to this aroma... perhaps derived from the oak mustiness.

Not sure quite what to make of this. While I generally prefer low carbonation levels, I think this beer would benefit from a bit of carbonation. The sourness is certainly there, but more subdued than I thought it was, playing off of the oak and cognac. Very very wine-y.

I think mouthfeel is where this beer suffers. No carbonation and a thin body leave this one more wine than beer. Not that I have any problem with wine... it just doesn't do it for me in this regard.

Because of its thin body and light sourness, this is actually significantly more drinkable than most Flanders Reds I've tried previously. All in all, quite nice, and something I'd be willing to share with a friend.... but probably not something I will seek out for $19 again.

nickss, May 18, 2007
4.15/5  rDev +4.5%

Thanks to hopdog for breaking over this much sought after European version...
Appears a hazy orange with a small white head that slowly fades out. Lots of streaky lacing is left around the glass.
Smell is of sour, tart apples, vanilla cream, light over-ripened fruit, lemon zest, lavender, & mild bananas in the background.
Taste is of the mentioned aromas with tropical peach, papaya, and citrus standing out.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, fizzy up front but mellowing out, light funk, low acid, and apple lingering.

weeare138, Mar 30, 2007
3.9/5  rDev -1.8%

Originally reviewed on November 28, 2006. 2005. Aroma lightly bold of cloying syrup and sweet aromatic brett sugars, more wild sourness and acerbic grape skins. Deep oaky mahogany pour, with a faint oliy slick of ivory. Flavors are subtle and breezy, honed well and designed with balance in mine. Independent bold and unique. First full of bright fruity cherry-skin aroma, followed by long sweet, lightly caramelized malts. So perceptively balance, and moving. Stewed apple amongst mixed coarse Indian spices in ghee. The cognac shines through and mellows with sweet alcohol notes. Graceful, delicate and well balanced. Refined.

CharlesDarwin, Dec 20, 2006
3.35/5  rDev -15.6%

Bottle: Poured a light beige color ale with a huge foamy head with perfect retention and lacing. Aroma is sour with some tart and oak and is also reminiscent of lambic but maybe a tad lighter. Taste is a mix between some sourness; tart some subtle oak with a long dry finish. I would probably have liked more sourness overall but I thought this was still very enjoyable. Carbonation is very lively and body is quite full with minimum filtration. I am now very curious to taste their other offering.

Phyl21ca, Oct 23, 2006