Undertaker - Brewery Vivant

Beer added by: StoutHunter on 03-19-2014

to view more.
Ratings: 117 | Reviews: 25
Reviews by StoutHunter:

I picked up a four pack of Brewery Vivant's Undertaker a couple weeks ago at The Lager Mill. I had the chance to try some of the pilot batch at Brewery Vivant and I thought it was a pretty good beer and now that it's in cans and distributed I thought I would revisit it, so lets see how it goes. No visible canning date, but I know it's fairly fresh. Poured from a tall 16oz can into a goblet like the can suggests.

A- The can looks pretty good, it's got a little bit of dark look to it to go with the name and I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a dark brown color that was a little close to being black and it took on some crimson hues around the edges when held to the light with a little over a fingers worth of darker tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end. This was a pretty good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness and it's followed by the Belgian yeast being the first to show up and it imparts some typical banana and spices with some light estery aromas also showing up. Up next comes the malts which impart some roasty, dark malt, slightly grainy, light coffee and chocolate like aromas with a nice noticeable nutty aroma showing up also. This beer had a pretty good aroma, there was some good balance between the yeast and the malts.

T- The taste seems to be very similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness and it's followed by the Belgian yeast which imparts the same aspects that it did in the aroma with no single aspect seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes the malts which impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma and this time it's the roasted malts and chocolate flavors that seem to stick out the most. Up next comes a light but noticeable nutty flavor and it's followed by hardly any bitterness with a Belgian yeast, roasted malt and chocolate like aftertaste. This was a pretty good tasting beer, It was very similar to the aroma and it kept the same good balance.

M- Pretty smooth, a little crisp, fairly dry on the finish, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. This beer had a pretty good mouthfeel and it worked well with it.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good beer and I thought it was a good and unique version of a Belgian Dark Ale, it had all the Belgian yeast flavors I would expect from the style, but In this beer I found the malt profile to be more roastier and robust than most in the style and I think that really represents the American influence this beer has, it's kind of like the best of both worlds. This beer had good drinkability, it was pretty smooth, a little crisp, fairly dry on the finish, not filling and the taste did a good job of holding my attention, I think a couple of these would be a good amount for me and I think this would be a great fall time beer. What I like the most about this beer was the balance, both the aroma and taste were balanced really well and neither the malts or the yeast were too overpowering. What I liked the least about this beer was nothing, there isn't anything that I would want to change, it's great just the way it is. I would buy this beer again and I could see keeping some in the fridge during the fall since I think it would make a fine Bonfire beer. I would recommend this beer, and it might make for a good and easy drinking introduction to the style. All in all I was pretty happy with this beer, it was exactly how I remember it being like on tap at Brewery Vivant, so my score doesn't change at all. This isn't my favorite Brewery Vivant beer, but it is one of the better Belgian Dark Ales I've had so far. It's nice to have a beer like this available in pint cans and I could for sure see myself taking some on a camping trip. Good job guys, this one doesn't disappoint in the slightest, keep up the great and unique work.

3.65/5  rDev +4%

1 Pint can
Served in a snifter

It looks black but has some ruby highlights when held to the light. It was an inch of beige head with no lacing.

The smell has some roasted malt and dark fruit.

The taste stars out with chocolate which gives way to coffee and roasted malt. The roasted malt lingers.

This is a decent beer. I like the chocolate and coffee flavors. The almost burnt malt flavor on the finish detracts from a great front end on this beer.

1.84/5  rDev -47.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.25

I bought the beer as a four pack of cans at Whole Foods. Poured into a glass at home.

Despite every review I've read of this beer, it actually had a very pronounced sour edge to it right from the get-go. Not a sour beer per se, but that slight edge that, for me, was sadly unpleasant and therefore made this beer unenjoyable. I could not finish it, and it was a chore to get even partway through a single can.

The dark color and body were there, yes. An undercurrent of raisin-y fruitiness was detectable, sure. But every description I've read has failed to mention that sour edge, which was right up front.

Could the beer have been skunked? Perhaps. It sure seemed so to me. I tried a second can -- same thing. While it may have been skunked, on the other hand, I'm not a fan of sour beers at all, and this isn't the first Belgian I've had where that sour edge is part of the flavor profile. So could be just me. Hard to tell.

Needless to say, I won't be buying this again. Too bad, I normally love dark Belgians. And I'm going to be wary of this brewery, too -- this was my first taste of anything they've produced.

4.5/5  rDev +28.2%

Delicious and as dark as root beer. Loved it. Recommended by a close friend as his personal favorite beer, I decided to try it despite the lackluster reviews here and I don't know where these folks are coming from. It's a good strong flavor, zero bitterness. As dark as night. I had one can in a mixed-sixer but I'll be picking it up in quantity soon and sharing a few cans with some beer-loving coworkers as well.

2.7/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

$ 2.59/16 oz can at Lager Mill
Can at 45 degrees into snifter
Aroma – none
Head – fizzy and done by the end of the pour
Lacing – none
Body – black and opaque
Flavor – a little prune sourness and a tobacco aftertaste. No alcohol, no hops, no diacetyl.
Palate – medium, watery, lively carbonation

Just not very flavorful. The lack of head and lacing detracts from the enjoyment as well. Overall, not something I’ll be drinking again.

1.14/5  rDev -67.5%

I really don't like dark beers. This one had caramel undertones and was extremely think and wasn't very smooth.

3.55/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

Shared 16 oz can
Clear dark red-brown body with a good head.
Overly boozy aroma and a bit more funk in the flavor than preferred.
Near medium body and carbonation.

3.51/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Disappointed in this one. Looks great but but is missing any characteristic that would make you want to drink it again. Not bad, not a drain pour, just average.

4.29/5  rDev +22.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I like the dark color, very full-bodied, coffee and carmel flavors. Smooth.

2.74/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

The color of this beer is a dark brown. The aroma you get is a slightly coffee smell and is pretty weak. Tasting this beer has a very strong coffee taste and it is not very pleasant to drink.

Agree with last reviewer. Not sure where the negative reviews come from. Very solid brew and I dare say a "sessionable" strong ale which is clearly unusual

4.1/5  rDev +16.8%

If you feel inclinated to try a Belgian beer, but are looking to avoid a banana flavored gumball, consider yourself Kane and join forces with the Undertaker. Much darker than typical Belgians, and easy to track down in those great Brewery Vivant cans. -Joe

3.54/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From the first sip of this beer the trademark Brewery Vivant sour tang (presumably from the yeast used) becomes apparent. This is a well made Belgian dark ale. Looks almost like a porter and provides a complex palate.

4.38/5  rDev +24.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: a deep mahogany almost black color. a half finger of a tan head that fades slowly and leaves a very slight lacing. completely opaque and dark

Smell: lots of dark fruits, some juiciness. some chocolatey and almost coffee like. light amount of spicy and yeasty smells

Taste: opens up with some chocolate, some very pungent dark fruits, mostly dates and prunes. a fair amount of coffee. backend has a strong yeasty and slight spicy phenol character.

Mouthfeel: light and drinkable, almost refreshing. ends quite dry.

Overall: a very tasty and balanced belgian dark. good juicy dark fruit character and lots of good yeast qualities. a step up from solitude in my opinion. definitely a good step for Vivant.

3.77/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

dark brown in color, smells like roasted chocolate, has some coffee and chocolate flavors. Very interesting

3.9/5  rDev +11.1%

16 ounce can into tulip glass; no canning date, but is a recent release. Pours clear nearly pitch black color with a 1 finger fairly dense tan head with good retention, that reduces to a lacing cap that lingers. Light spotty soapy lacing clings on the glass, with a fair amount of streaming carbonation. Aromas of raisin, prune, banana, chocolate, roasted malt, dark bread, light coffee, clove, light bubblegum, herbal, and yeast earthiness. Very nice aromas with good balance and complexity of fruity/earthy yeast and dark/roasted malt notes; with good strength. Taste of raisin, prune, banana, chocolate, cocoa, roasted malt, dark bread, light coffee, light bubblegum, clove, herbal, and yeast earthiness. Slight earthy roasted bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of raisin, prune, banana, chocolate, cocoa, roast, dark bread, light coffee, clove, light bubblegum, herbal, and yeast earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Very nice complexity and robustness of fruity/earthy yeast and dark/roasted malt flavors; with a great malt/yeast balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a smooth, lightly slick, and fairly bready mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish. Overall this is a very nice Belgian dark ale. All around good balance and complexity of fruity/earthy yeast and dark/roasted malt flavors; and very smooth to drink. A very enjoyable offering.

3.86/5  rDev +10%

Very good brew, let the haters hate.

2.06/5  rDev -41.3%

Didn't really care for it.

3.73/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Dark brown in color, coffee smell, coffee and chocolate taste - interesting!

3.49/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours nearly black with a modest head of khaki froth that’s gone in a flash. Mild aroma smells vaguely of roasted malt and dark berries.

The taste is positively unique, with a foundation of currants and blackberries, along with a peculiar spiciness akin to ginger. Some smoke comes through on the back end after the sweeter flavors subside. The melange of unusual elements is a little disorienting at first, but adequate warming brings things together for a more palatable and cohesive experience. The yeast, which is a little atypical for style, adds some vibrance and texture, however it could use some bolstering in the carbonation department. The body is on the thinner side of medium, which enhances drinkability at the expense of the fuller mouthfeel I usually prefer.

I must admit, this brew really took me by surprise, and I’m not quite sure what to make of it. You’d never know it to look at it, but the taste could almost pass for a fruit beer (or a smoked fruit beer, if such a thing exists). Fortify the mouthfeel and add some roasted, maltier flavors, and Brewery Vivant might really have something special here. As is, this is a unique and intriguing beer that comes off a little too juicy for my tastes.

3.6/5  rDev +2.6%

Undated 16oz can -- I forget how much I paid for it. Probably about $2.79 if I had to guess. Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint.

Appearance: Very porter-y. Ruby black/brown with "soapy" large bubbles on top. There's about a two finger head with quite a lot of carbonation coming up from the bottom.

Smell: Definite Belgian yeast in there, which is nice -- dark fruits and a sort of old trunk/basement aroma like I anticipated. There's a tiny bit of chocolate, a decent amount of roastiness, and also a little tartness. Pretty interesting aroma that makes me want to dig in.

Taste/feel: As I was scared of, the taste is only... alright. It's a bit light in flavor, and doesn't pack the sort of Belgian punch I expected. It's a lot like a porter to me with only a hint of Belgianiness (yes, Belgianiness). Dark fruits are the most profound flavor from beginning to end, and then there's some roast at the finish. The Belgian note is there throughout, but it doesn't add all that much to the beer. It just drinks rather uninterestingly, but not terribly. For mouthfeel, it's quite highly carbonated -- it has the "sharpness" that pop has. The body is about middle-of-the-road and works reasonably well. After I got the rest of the can in though, the feel changed thanks to the yeast. It became a little creamy and less harsh. +.25 for the feel.

Disappointing beer. I thought it looked and smelled nice, but the flavor is decidedly average. Maybe the worst I've had from Brewery Vivant, but this is at worst uninteresting and drinkable. Worth a look, most especially if you're looking to try out a Belgian beer that isn't IN YOUR FACE.

2.41/5  rDev -31.3%

Tasted similar to a sour?

3.8/5  rDev +8.3%

Decent taste though on the lighter side. "Winey" quality to it.

1.6/5  rDev -54.4%

Visual: dark chocolate color
Smell: very strong dough, yeasty smell. Smells of sour cherry and chocolate.
Taste: Overpowering taste of coffee. Slight taste of bubblegum and dark fruits. Aftertaste of smokiness.
Overall: I would not drink this beer again. Taste of coffee overpowers the beer.

3.94/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

16 oz can poured into two snifters. No Date. Unknown age.
Shout out to my man JJ for bringing this back from his sales trip.

Deep dark mahogany almost chocolaty but still ruby. Call it chocolate ruby. I use a very bright LED flashlight to determine color and clarity and let's just say it did not shine through this this beer very much.

Excellent carbonation. Smells of dark fruits and wine.

Don't know what type of barrel if any was used or what type of yeasts and aging process. Taste is very dark cherry, some chocolate and some Belgian yeast type flavors.

Recommend. It's a little weird but I bet it's good fresh or on a barrel and I like it more as I drink it. Curious to know more about this brewery and how this brew was created.

As I finished this off I made the comment that this is almost a lambic.

to view more.