North French Style Ale - Brewery Vivant

North French Style AleNorth French Style Ale

Brewery Vivant visit their website

Bière de Garde |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: StoutHunter on 04-11-2014)
Reviews by BlissJunkie:

4.01/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours into a chalice a clear aburn color with a thinner pretty quick to fade white head.Aromas of deam caramel/vanilla,light lactic sourness,spiced pears, and a bit of roasted nuts.roasted pears and brown sugar notes upfront on the palate along caramel and mild sweet bread,mild toast is detected in the finish along with just a tinge of lactic bite.The complexity of the flavors makes this beer,alot of good stuff going on.

4.24/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I picked up a can of Brewery Vivant's North French Style Ale a few days ago for 13.59 for a four pack at Cork N Ale. I've never tried this beer before, but I'm always willing to try a new beer from Brewery Vivant and this one has me very interested, so lets see how it goes. No visible canning date, but think it's pretty fresh. Poured from a tall 16oz can into a Belgian style tulip.

A- The can looks pretty good, it's got a nice blue background and it has what looks like to be a home in the north french country side, I think it's a pretty eye catching beer. It poured a slightly orange like amber color that took on more of a bright amber and crimson like color with a fingers worth of off white head that quickly died down to a thin ring which eventually faded away and it left hardly any spotty lacing behind. This was a nice looking beer, I liked the color, but I wish it had a little more head and lacing.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the some nice tart and fruity aromas, the tartness is right about at medium and the fruity aspect smells like a mixture of raspberry, red grapes with some other berry aromas lingering in the background. Up next comes the malts which show up a good deal and they impart a caramel malt, biscuit malt, bread crust, and toasted malt like aromas with a pretty noticeable nutty aroma towards the end. This beer had a very nice aroma, the combination of tart, fruity and malty aromas made for very nice and unique aroma.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the tart and fruity aspects still being the first to show up, the tartness it toned down a little and it's on the higher side of being light and the fruit aspect is slightly lighten than it was in the aroma and this time it imparts some raspberry and berry like aspects. Up next comes the malts which impart those same malty aspects that they did in the aroma and there is still a nutty aspect that shows up towards the end. On the finish there's light amount of medium tartness followed by some bready, toasted malt, berry, and nutty flavors in the aftertaste. This was a very nice tasting beer, I really enjoyed the unique combination of toasted malts, nutty flavors and tart fruity flavors.

M- Very smooth, clean, crisp, a little refreshing, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. This beer had a very good mouthfeel that was pretty much perfect for this beer.

Overall I thought this was a very nice beer and I thought it was a very nice example of a Biere de Garde, I haven't had many of the style, since there just aren't a lot of them out there, so I looked up what this style was all about and it seems to be pretty true to style especially with that toasted malt aspect that I don't think I have picked up any other Biere de Garde's I have had. This beer had very good drinkability, it was pretty smooth, clean, crisp, a little refreshing, not filling and the taste did a great job at holding my attention, I would be more than happy to drink a few of these on a nice summer or spring day and with that toasted malt aspect it might be even better in the fall. What I liked the most about this beer was the how well the different flavors worked together, I didn't expect the toasted malt flavors, but they turned out to be one of the highlights of this beer. What I liked the least about this beer is that it isn't more widely available and I think it could work out well in the year round lineup. I would for sure buy this beer again, I bought the last four pack i saw on the shelf, but if i saw any more i wouldn't hesitate to buy it and I would love to see how it changes over time. I would recommend this beer to everyone, I think everyone should try this beer at least once. All in all I was a little impressed with this beer, I already expected good things since it's a Brewery Vivant beer, but this exceeded my expectations and made for one unique and tasty bee that I very much enjoyed. This is now my favorite Biere de Garde and it's up there as one of the better Vivant beers I have had. Great job guys, I continue to be amazed by these unique and very memorable beers, keep up the awesome work.

3.25/5  rDev -17.5%