Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Triomphe Belgian IPA - Brewery Vivant

Triomphe Belgian IPATriomphe Belgian IPA

Brewery Vivant visit their website

Belgian IPA |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: jale on 01-22-2011

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Triomphe Belgian IPA Alström Bros

By far my favorite Vivant beer! It had a great hops smell and taste. It is an orange colored beer. But oh goodness it is really good! It is a little bitter but overall a great beer!

4.77/5  rDev +24.9%

A: Golden white with a billowy head, depending on how you pour.

S: Sweet Belgian notes along with citrusy hops.

T: This brew has a great balance between the Belgian character and the hops.

M: Good carbonation, on the thin side, but nothing offputting.

O: Great brew from Vivant. I don't know why I've always hesitated picking this up, but I am definitely going to pick it up more often.

4.7/5  rDev +23%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Today has become New MichiCAN Beer Sunday, thanks to GrappyPunk who supplied the beer and Malty, who started all of this weekly madness in the first place.

From the CAN: "WHY USE CANS? We set out to build a sustainable brewery and found through our research that cans are a better option than bottles. Cans are much lighter in weight, contain more recycled content, are able to be up-cycled, and use less energy to produce. The canning line also has a much smaller footprint than a bottling line."; "If this was not enough, cans provide better protection from flavor degenerating oxygen and hop flavor robbing sunlight. This is the best package we can provide to bring our beer to you, tasting the way the brewer intended it. Enjoy."; "Belgian tradition. Local mission."; "BELGIAN STYLE INDIA PALE ALE Triomphe is made with a classic Belgian style yeast strain that gives the complexity and slight sweetness you may expect from a Belgian style ale. The beer then reaches deeper providing a smack-down of American grown hops to turn the style on its head. It has a light caramel color, is strongly bitter with a fruity citrus aroma."; "COMPLIMENTARY FOODS Spicy dishes, pizza, burgers, sharp cheddar or blue cheeses. Visit our website for more."; "GLASSWARE A large tulip glass is ideal. The snifter quality helps to capture and focus the hop aromas while the contour at the top holds on to the rich head." Sounds like a Samuel Adams Perfect Pint glass to me.

I am in LOVE with Brewery Vivant! I have been simply blown away by their first two beers and I have only the highest of hopes for this third CANned beer.

Ah, the auditory portion of tonight's program, otherwise known as the Crack & Glug. The opening overture to any symphony that may or may not proceed, but you will never get it from a bottle. I am simply astounded by the way that each of them has produced a thick, dense layer (anywhere between a finger to two or more fingers) of head and even more so by its sustainability. "Beer Drinkers Get More Head", so reads a patch on one of my many jackets and if you are drinking a Brewery Vivant beer from a CAN, truer words were never spoken. Then the lacing ... This World, and Then, the Fireworks, or in this case, the elegant, delicate lacing that makes me want to drop to my knees and lick every succulent inch. Whoops! I have been warned against such digressions and so we return to the beer. A deep orangish-amber in color with NE-quality clarity. BUPGOO! Is it hot in here, or is it just me? The nose was absolutely floral, like being in a hops field, but underlain by a light mustiness. This is the equivalent of one of my neo-hippie redheaded girlfriends distilled into a glass! I have known you many times, my darling, and you are always unwavering in your intensity. The mouthfeel was full and big-bodied and I could name names, but I won't. The spice of the hops intermingled well with the sweetness of the malt and suddenly I was in the back seat of an Oldsmobile the night before a deployment in 1993. I remember you well and I hope that you have the same fondness for my memory. The finish was dry, bitter and lingering, the same way that each of my redheaded relationships have ended. I need merely to lick my lips to conjure up a memory of each and every one of them, but to what avail? A slap across the face, perhaps spit upon like a llama being told what to do, or worse, a knee to the groin. C'mon, baby, I love you, but your intensity is sometimes too much even for me. As to the cooler, me and my redheads NEVER went to the beach. We were all big on movies, especially screened movies, which is one of the things I do miss about California - the ability to buy beer at the cinema or to sneak it in and not have anyone care. A movie marathon, a CAN of beer and thou, or words to that effect. Oh my.

4.53/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

$2.69 for a can. No ingredients or stats on the website. 6.5% ABV for a 16oz can. Gotta love these 16oz cans.
When poured, formed a 4 finger head. Bone white soapy head with tenacious sticky lacing and superior retention, sitting on top of a copper colored clear brew. The nose is fresh with green hops...I'm thinking Centennial, with a touch of cascade. No perceptible off aromas. The mouthfeel is crisp, clean with a medium body. The taste is quite good. A classic IPA with great hop flavor and aroma of mangos and grapefruit with just a touch of that Belgian spice and residual sweetness. Very well balanced bitterness which makes it an easy drinker. Not too bitter at all which is a common complaint in many IPAs. There is a pleasant grain husk/toast note in the middle and finishes with a cool creamy mouthfeel. No perceptible off flavors either.

This is an excellent beer and I will definitely be buying it again. This is easy to drink and I really enjoyed it. Pleasantly surprised. Do try it!

4.48/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

No canning date. Bought a 16oz can for $2.79 at Fairway Sav-Mor Drugs in Eastpointe, Michigan. Poured into a Samuel Adams Perfect Pint Glass.

Appearance: Pretty clear, with some particles floating around. The beer is a sexy amber color. The light brown, soapy textured head is about two fingers or so and lasts quite awhile. Lacing is quite thick and attractive (that's what she said...).

Smell: Wow was the first word I thought and said when I smelled this one. Truthfully, it smells a lot like apple sauce... to me, anyway, and I'd guess that's the yeast. There are some spices in there as well, but an apple aroma is what I'm pulling out of this the most, for sure.

Taste: The apple sauce flavor is really prominent up front, and lasts throughout the sip. On the finish there's a very tasty malt character with a quick burst of hops. Given that this is a Belgian IPA, I was hoping the hops would come through SOMEwhere. A unique as hell beer, and I dig it. A lot. It's easy drinking, the flavor hits you and is gone, the carbonation isn't high, the ABV isn't all that high... this is one I could drink quite a bit of. The bitterness in Triomphe is balanced out very nicely by the apple flavor, as well as the malt. The can claims the beer is "strongly bitter", but it's not. I think it's about middle-of-the-road.

Triomphe is an interesting beer that changes quite a bit as you make your way down the glass. It smells great, has a fantastic flavor, feels awesome going down... I think the Bros. gave this a more accurate rating than the majority have. Of course, that's all subjective.

Regardless, DEFINITELY seek this one out and try it for yourself. For the love of GOD, do it! And YES, I drank this beer sober.

4.44/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I'm going to go out on a limb here and put this up as one of the best IPAs that I have ever had. If you strictly love the hops, then this won't be a great IPA for you. However, if you enjoy Belgian style beers and also enjoy American IPAs, this is a good mix of the two. It focuses on the hop aroma and bitterness, but still has that farmhouse flavor that Vivant always looks for. I appreciated this adventurous IPA.

4.42/5  rDev +15.7%

Had on tap at Grill One Eleven.

Appearance was a nice dark gold into almost red with a nice head.

Smell was huge of hops and citrus and yeast.

Taste was great. Popped you up from with bitter hoppy goodness then finished with the traditional Belgian yeasts flavors.

Mouthfeel was good. Very easy to drink.

Overall a great beer and a near perfect representation of the style.

4.41/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I cut my beer tastin' teeth on IPAs from Michigan craft brewers 10 years ago, so that is my frame of reference here.

Looks- Poured into a tulip. Pretty amber color typical of an IPA, with greater clarity and signs of life in the carbonation. Moderate head, Not much lacing, sorry if that's your beer fetish.

Smell- Yup, it's an IPA. Citrus, cereal, crisp earth smell of vivant house yeast. There's a dryness to that yeast that sets their beers apart. To me, it reminds me of drinking from a clay vessel.

Taste- Balanced, straightforward. Hoppy citrus up front, Belgian yeast, followed by the grain and mild bitter hop exit. There's a bit of honey sweetness too.

Texture- Tight carbonation at cooler temp. dry, mildly astringent from the yeast but in a good way. As it warms up, the carbonation is still there but it flattens out a bit as the feel becomes more viscous.

Overall, a solid offering. Very drinkable, good with pizza. I'm not embarassed to say I prefer it to other IPA's. It doesn't taste like reefer madness or diabetes.

4.34/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Copper in color with good creamy foam and average lacing.

Smell: Yeast and...gummy bears? Yes, I believe that is what I smell...and it somehow works.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Lemon, yeast, and seltzer. Wine grapes in the finish. Almost tastes like a combination of a shandy and an IPA. Gummy bears are also evident of course. Seltzer in the mouthfeel. Medium body.

Overall Drinkability: A wonderfully quirky IPA.

4.34/5  rDev +13.6%

A - What an aggressive head it pours... A very spacious head with a nice soapy bottom capped by a nice off-white foam. Brew is clear orange with red and yellow hues. This brew mores a lot like a Guinness...

S - Yum, quite nice! Very citrus. Lots of banana. A rather intriguing scent for a brew to have. It smells like a great Belgian IPA. Lots of apple, pear, grapefruit, banana, and orange. Very fruity.

T - Very unique! What a great brew! Lots of splendid flavor that rips at your tongue. Very fruity. It tastes like it wants to be quite bitter, but it settles down quite quickly.

M - Extremely light and airy. Wonderful carbonation with great balance. Awesome brew. Feels amazing going down.

O - I would have to say they nailed the style with ease. A wonderful brew. I would have to think this brew is quite underrated. Thank you for sharing Another6Pack.

4.29/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 16oz can into a pint glass.

Appearance is a dark amber with lots of off-white, foamy head that slowly fades. Nice lacing.

Smell is grainy with floral hops.

Taste is a really nice balance between malty sweetness up front and spicy hop bitterness with the finish - maybe some clove flavors in there? Delicious.

Mouthfeel is very dry thanks to a light body and heavy carbonation.

Overall this is an excellent twist on the American style IPA - really like the dry finish and hop character.

4.26/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Golden brown pour, slight haze. Four finger, off-white, highly perforated head that persists. Sweet, yeasty, bright floral nose. Faint medicinal and bubble-gum notes. Forward malt on the palate with hints of burnt candy sugar and lingering hop notes. Perfectly-balanced sweet and bitter. Beautiful, thick Belgian lace. Certainly moreish. Refreshing. The ABV is not evident. Some flocculence at the final pour.

4.24/5  rDev +11%

Poured from a what? Yes, a can. Wow. This thing looks amazing. Beautiful clarity and a great chunky head atop an absolutely lovely penny coloured brew. Lazy carbonation seductively struts through the beer and deposits itself in the header. Lacing hangs around the edges,

The nose is a delicious sweet canopy with a lovely hop parachute. The smell is like none other. Bread and sap and spice. A bit of grapefruit. This is a superb thing to stick your nose into. Belgo uniqueness with solid IPA traditional florals.

The taste is clean and delicious. Vastly unique. There are aspects of sweetness and bread with a luscious hoppy resinous grapefruit quality and spice. Toootsie pops. Belgian ambiance throws the whole thing askew and makes it a dance. This is a highly satisfying body of liquid.

The mouthfeel is medium. An absolutely perfect setting for the flavors it supports.

Overall, this brew is fantastic. Perhaps even better than the tap version I can compare it to. It manages to project a cleanliness and flavor that are just superb. I will definitely be putting another quad pack of this in my fridge soon, which is a statement I don't make all that often given the sea of quality we craft brew enthusiasts swim in these days. I am excited about this brewery. Solid drank.

4.22/5  rDev +10.5%

A: cloudy coppery orange with a delicate fuzzy cream colored cap. Lacing is above average with notable strands and dots scattered about

S: fresh, bright, snappy hops with a soft yeast notes. If I am right, a whiff 'n' smidgen of bubblegum wallows about. Very tempting smells

T: my tongue unlocks flavors similar to the nose with more Belgian notes at helm. Most notably, the mild breaded malt thing going on. The hops are well placed and clean in flavor with peppery pine notes and plenty of fruity lemon zest.
This beer is very well rounded. Not super hopped up nor is it full of traditional Belgian flavors. A great mix of the two

M: fizzy and near effervescent. Body is on the lighter side and compliments the experience

O: good stuff from Brewery Vivant

4.21/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

16oz. can poured into pint glass. This Belgian Style IPA poured a thick frothy head. It left good looking sudsy retention like many Belgian styles on my honey badger pint glass.

The aroma on Triomphe is rather disappointing. Even though the vessel is a pint glass, the nose on this IPA was weak in a snifter. I expect more nose from an IPA.

Triomphe has a very pleasant and agreeable taste. Brewery Vivant balances tasty flavor of sweetness from honey and bitterness from the hops. Triomphe isn't real hoppy like I want IPAs. It has a bready yeast taste--common of Belgian styles I believe.

Brewery Vivant 4packs are tasty and perfect drinkability for watching football. I have been impressed by their Belgian styles and farmhouse ales.

4.2/5  rDev +9.9%

Can purchased from the brewery.

This pours a medium amber with an orange glow and a large, rocky off-white head.

Hops are the first thing I smell with a medium citrus and pineapple aroma and a moderate grass note. The belgian yeast aroma, thought faint is there with a mild orange ester and moderate peppery spice with a pleasant earthy and dusty notes. There is a malt sweetness in there as well.

The flavor is a blend of American hops and belgian yeast. The hops have flavors of citrus and pineapple with a touch of pine while the yeast brings flavors of an orange fruitiness, a moderately strong pepper and some earthiness. There is a medium bitterness with a bit less malt sweetness and a dry finish.

This has a medium-light body with a medium high level of carbonation. There is a slight prickle towards the end.

This is my kind of beer with good hop flavors and bitterness built around good belgian characters of fruit and spice.

4.2/5  rDev +9.9%

A- Pours a clear ruby orange liquid with numerous streams of rising carbonation. The white head is splotchy and thin but provides modest coverage and leaves nice lacing as it works its way down the glass.

S- Caramel, grass, and citrus. There is also an undercurrent of something I can't quite put my finger on. I enjoy this.

T- A bit of nuttiness- maybe hazelnuts. There is also notes of caramel, grass, and citrus. Unique and tasty.

M- Creamy and light with just a bit of a carbonated bite. The finish leaves a slight astringency.

O- Overall, I really enjoyed this. With the can packaging, this is going to be an epic summer beer out on the boat.

4.19/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had this on 2015-04-20 in Columbia, PA from a 16 oz can

A - Clear orange-amber with a 2-finger pillowy off-white head and nice lace.

S - Perfumy Belgian yeast vies with citrus, mint and floral hop aromas in an appealing way.

T - Caramel, orange and pineapple flesh for sweetness, potpourri (sweet/bitter/herbal), mint, a touch of pine and some orange zest bitterness to round things off. There's some residual bitterness but it is restrained in a good way.; bordering on a Pale Ale instead of an IPA. Dry enough but the bit of lingering sweetness works for me. I really like this flavor profile.

M - Light-medium body and medium carbonation. Refreshing. Almost crisp.

O - This one surprised me. I'm not the biggest fan of hoppy Belgian IPAs but the restrained perfumy esters and not making this beer dank or overly bitter strikes the right balance for my taste buds. Best Brewery Vivant beer I've had so far. I'll seek this out again.

4.18/5  rDev +9.4%

Many thanks to Jeremiah for the extra! 16oz can to tulip. Sampled 9/9/11.

A: Pours with a large, 3 finger dense foamy head somewhere between off-white and tan in color. Big bubbles on the surface burst and slowly pull the head apart causing it to recede in very rocky fashion. Retention is very good. The body is medium orange with coppery tints and a bit hazy. Lacing is between good and excellent.

S: American hops come through with pine leading the nose, followed by pith of grapefruit and orange, then a bit of cut grass. The hop bill seems like it was heavy handed at one point, but just recently started to fade. The malt bill brings caramel, grain and straw to mind - all moderately toasted. Clearly a Belgian yeast strain, an average amount of earth comes through plus some light dust and barnyard.

T: The caramel flavored malts provide a low amount of sweetness due to the dry and bitterness finish. The flavor is extremely well balanced - and probably more enjoyable since there isn't one feature that dominates. In this case, truly, the sum of its parts is greater than the whole.

M: Extremely full and thick with an above average lively carbonation. The mouthfeel leaves little to be desired. Spectacular.

O: Great beer for a style that, for me at least, misses the mark more often than not. I'd love to get my hands on some more of Brewery Vivant's beers.

4.17/5  rDev +9.2%

No idea when this was bottled but I took the plunge anyways.

I will say, from my first impressions, this beer makes one impressive pour. I am using a “chalice” and just amazed at how nice this beer looks—wonderful creamy head that hangs around for days (or several minutes, at any rate) and a toasted straw with a hint of amber.

There’s a boldly hoppy aroma that states its presence, sharp, crisp and strawlike. The flavor is hop forward with a strong straw presence that finishes with some orange citrus. Very light “Belgian” character, to be honest. This strikes me more as a straightforward IPA with some floral notes at the end, which I suppose is the Belgian aspect. A nicely enjoyable blending of styles which I enjoyed. I certainly won’t have any trouble working my way through the remainder of the four pack.

4.16/5  rDev +8.9%

Pint can pours copper with a tall, rocky, ivory head that holds excellent retention and leaves some nice lacing on the glass. Awesome nose with floral hops, fruity, tropical notes, citric, spicy Belgian yeast. Tastes are a nice balance of sweetness, bitterness, and complexity; fresh grapefruity citrus shines through the caramely and biscuity malt. Fruity and spicy notes come through with the Belgian yeast, finishes bitter with some pine and astringency. Thinner body, but ample carbonation. Overall, it did pull through in flavor even though it didn't quite live up to the initial wow factor with appearance and aroma. Definitely recommendable.

4.15/5  rDev +8.6%

Poured out of a 16 oz can into a Boulevard tulip glass.

A - Pours a ruddy amber body topped with two fingers of bubbly golden head. Foam dissipates after a minute or so, leaving moderate-to-heavy lacing. Bubbles continue to drift up for quite some time.

S - Yeasty aromas and hops come through with notes of floral grassiness. Some phenolic elements as well.

T - So much depth, with lilac, lavender and more phenolic character. A hint of funk on the finish.

M - Medium-bodied with noticeable carbonation. Pleasant lingering aftertaste.

Overall a stellar Belgian IPA and I love the fact that it comes canned. They find a grat balance between the Belgian yeasty, floral characteristics and the hoppy bitterness. I wish it was easier to get in my area.

Brewery Vivant Triomphe
Props for canning your beer
A - Pours a nice amber color with 2 inches of foam that leave plenty of sticky lacing around the glass as it falls.
S - wow, heaven, nice piney grassy hops fill the nose and just sticks with you. This is so good smelling. It just has that fresh hop aroma to it
T - a bit of malt followed by a wet cardboard flavor, i'm guessing its from the abundance of grassy hops. It just has that sort of hop pellet smell and taste. I really do like this one. Its not overly bitter, just hoppy enjoyment.
M - Tingly carbonation with a malty background, the hops add a bit of a bitterness bite but not overpowering.
D - This is very enjoyable and refreshing. This is a beer I could drink on a hot summer day and be quite happy.

4.15/5  rDev +8.6%

Appearance: off-white head with small amount of lacing, it poors a deep gold color.
Smell: faint smell of grapefruit
Taste: a little hoppier than most Belgian-style IPAs that I've had. You can still tell it's Belgian-style, though.
Mouthfeel: pretty soft and smooth here
Drinkability: I could have a few of these. It's the best one I've had from Brewery Vivant so far.

4.12/5  rDev +7.9%

deep golden, straw color coming forward right away. Nice two fingers of white foam quickly come up and over the top of the glass settling down with a nice amount of lacing that quickly takes over the glass. Very cloudy, even through the final pours. First thing I notice is the aroma of honey, lots of grains, bready malts and a noticeable amount of honey, whether intentional or not it is there. Grape skins start to come forward now as does a light touch of grass, nothing really bowling me over though. First sip is very smooth, rich and well carbonated the flavor is allowed to explore the palate quite nicely and really makes for a very full feel. Light grains, pears, peaches, apples, all seem to be well represented,

Triomphe Belgian IPA from Brewery Vivant