Triomphe Belgian IPA - Brewery Vivant

Triomphe Belgian IPATriomphe Belgian IPA

Brewery Vivant visit their website

Belgian IPA |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: jale on 01-22-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Triomphe Belgian IPA Alström Bros
Joshboor

08-26-2012 19:18:54 | More by Joshboor
mjshearer1

4.8/5  rDev +27%

A: Golden white with a billowy head, depending on how you pour.

S: Sweet Belgian notes along with citrusy hops.

T: This brew has a great balance between the Belgian character and the hops.

M: Good carbonation, on the thin side, but nothing offputting.

O: Great brew from Vivant. I don't know why I've always hesitated picking this up, but I am definitely going to pick it up more often.

01-14-2013 21:58:19 | More by mjshearer1

4.75/5  rDev +25.7%

05-08-2013 02:22:54 | More by Dagger541
woodychandler

4.72/5  rDev +24.9%

Today has become New MichiCAN Beer Sunday, thanks to GrappyPunk who supplied the beer and Malty, who started all of this weekly madness in the first place.

From the CAN: "WHY USE CANS? We set out to build a sustainable brewery and found through our research that cans are a better option than bottles. Cans are much lighter in weight, contain more recycled content, are able to be up-cycled, and use less energy to produce. The canning line also has a much smaller footprint than a bottling line."; "If this was not enough, cans provide better protection from flavor degenerating oxygen and hop flavor robbing sunlight. This is the best package we can provide to bring our beer to you, tasting the way the brewer intended it. Enjoy."; "Belgian tradition. Local mission."; "BELGIAN STYLE INDIA PALE ALE Triomphe is made with a classic Belgian style yeast strain that gives the complexity and slight sweetness you may expect from a Belgian style ale. The beer then reaches deeper providing a smack-down of American grown hops to turn the style on its head. It has a light caramel color, is strongly bitter with a fruity citrus aroma."; "COMPLIMENTARY FOODS Spicy dishes, pizza, burgers, sharp cheddar or blue cheeses. Visit our website for more."; "GLASSWARE A large tulip glass is ideal. The snifter quality helps to capture and focus the hop aromas while the contour at the top holds on to the rich head." Sounds like a Samuel Adams Perfect Pint glass to me.

I am in LOVE with Brewery Vivant! I have been simply blown away by their first two beers and I have only the highest of hopes for this third CANned beer.

Ah, the auditory portion of tonight's program, otherwise known as the Crack & Glug. The opening overture to any symphony that may or may not proceed, but you will never get it from a bottle. I am simply astounded by the way that each of them has produced a thick, dense layer (anywhere between a finger to two or more fingers) of head and even more so by its sustainability. "Beer Drinkers Get More Head", so reads a patch on one of my many jackets and if you are drinking a Brewery Vivant beer from a CAN, truer words were never spoken. Then the lacing ... This World, and Then, the Fireworks, or in this case, the elegant, delicate lacing that makes me want to drop to my knees and lick every succulent inch. Whoops! I have been warned against such digressions and so we return to the beer. A deep orangish-amber in color with NE-quality clarity. BUPGOO! Is it hot in here, or is it just me? The nose was absolutely floral, like being in a hops field, but underlain by a light mustiness. This is the equivalent of one of my neo-hippie redheaded girlfriends distilled into a glass! I have known you many times, my darling, and you are always unwavering in your intensity. The mouthfeel was full and big-bodied and I could name names, but I won't. The spice of the hops intermingled well with the sweetness of the malt and suddenly I was in the back seat of an Oldsmobile the night before a deployment in 1993. I remember you well and I hope that you have the same fondness for my memory. The finish was dry, bitter and lingering, the same way that each of my redheaded relationships have ended. I need merely to lick my lips to conjure up a memory of each and every one of them, but to what avail? A slap across the face, perhaps spit upon like a llama being told what to do, or worse, a knee to the groin. C'mon, baby, I love you, but your intensity is sometimes too much even for me. As to the cooler, me and my redheads NEVER went to the beach. We were all big on movies, especially screened movies, which is one of the things I do miss about California - the ability to buy beer at the cinema or to sneak it in and not have anyone care. A movie marathon, a CAN of beer and thou, or words to that effect. Oh my.

08-01-2011 00:41:32 | More by woodychandler
Mitchster

4.53/5  rDev +19.8%

$2.69 for a can. No ingredients or stats on the website. 6.5% ABV for a 16oz can. Gotta love these 16oz cans.
When poured, formed a 4 finger head. Bone white soapy head with tenacious sticky lacing and superior retention, sitting on top of a copper colored clear brew. The nose is fresh with green hops...I'm thinking Centennial, with a touch of cascade. No perceptible off aromas. The mouthfeel is crisp, clean with a medium body. The taste is quite good. A classic IPA with great hop flavor and aroma of mangos and grapefruit with just a touch of that Belgian spice and residual sweetness. Very well balanced bitterness which makes it an easy drinker. Not too bitter at all which is a common complaint in many IPAs. There is a pleasant grain husk/toast note in the middle and finishes with a cool creamy mouthfeel. No perceptible off flavors either.

This is an excellent beer and I will definitely be buying it again. This is easy to drink and I really enjoyed it. Pleasantly surprised. Do try it!

09-08-2011 23:53:33 | More by Mitchster

LornaLee

12-29-2011 05:03:59 | More by LornaLee
Alextricity

4.48/5  rDev +18.5%

No canning date. Bought a 16oz can for $2.79 at Fairway Sav-Mor Drugs in Eastpointe, Michigan. Poured into a Samuel Adams Perfect Pint Glass.

Appearance: Pretty clear, with some particles floating around. The beer is a sexy amber color. The light brown, soapy textured head is about two fingers or so and lasts quite awhile. Lacing is quite thick and attractive (that's what she said...).

Smell: Wow was the first word I thought and said when I smelled this one. Truthfully, it smells a lot like apple sauce... to me, anyway, and I'd guess that's the yeast. There are some spices in there as well, but an apple aroma is what I'm pulling out of this the most, for sure.

Taste: The apple sauce flavor is really prominent up front, and lasts throughout the sip. On the finish there's a very tasty malt character with a quick burst of hops. Given that this is a Belgian IPA, I was hoping the hops would come through SOMEwhere. A unique as hell beer, and I dig it. A lot. It's easy drinking, the flavor hits you and is gone, the carbonation isn't high, the ABV isn't all that high... this is one I could drink quite a bit of. The bitterness in Triomphe is balanced out very nicely by the apple flavor, as well as the malt. The can claims the beer is "strongly bitter", but it's not. I think it's about middle-of-the-road.

Triomphe is an interesting beer that changes quite a bit as you make your way down the glass. It smells great, has a fantastic flavor, feels awesome going down... I think the Bros. gave this a more accurate rating than the majority have. Of course, that's all subjective.

Regardless, DEFINITELY seek this one out and try it for yourself. For the love of GOD, do it! And YES, I drank this beer sober.

05-03-2013 15:46:10 | More by Alextricity
downeyj4

4.44/5  rDev +17.5%

I'm going to go out on a limb here and put this up as one of the best IPAs that I have ever had. If you strictly love the hops, then this won't be a great IPA for you. However, if you enjoy Belgian style beers and also enjoy American IPAs, this is a good mix of the two. It focuses on the hop aroma and bitterness, but still has that farmhouse flavor that Vivant always looks for. I appreciated this adventurous IPA.

04-30-2013 03:37:35 | More by downeyj4
PincheNorteno

4.43/5  rDev +17.2%

I cut my beer tastin' teeth on IPAs from Michigan craft brewers 10 years ago, so that is my frame of reference here.

Looks- Poured into a tulip. Pretty amber color typical of an IPA, with greater clarity and signs of life in the carbonation. Moderate head, Not much lacing, sorry if that's your beer fetish.

Smell- Yup, it's an IPA. Citrus, cereal, crisp earth smell of vivant house yeast. There's a dryness to that yeast that sets their beers apart. To me, it reminds me of drinking from a clay vessel.

Taste- Balanced, straightforward. Hoppy citrus up front, Belgian yeast, followed by the grain and mild bitter hop exit. There's a bit of honey sweetness too.

Texture- Tight carbonation at cooler temp. dry, mildly astringent from the yeast but in a good way. As it warms up, the carbonation is still there but it flattens out a bit as the feel becomes more viscous.

Overall, a solid offering. Very drinkable, good with pizza. I'm not embarassed to say I prefer it to other IPA's. It doesn't taste like reefer madness or diabetes.

06-01-2013 01:11:32 | More by PincheNorteno
Lillenk

4.43/5  rDev +17.2%

Had on tap at Grill One Eleven.

Appearance was a nice dark gold into almost red with a nice head.

Smell was huge of hops and citrus and yeast.

Taste was great. Popped you up from with bitter hoppy goodness then finished with the traditional Belgian yeasts flavors.

Mouthfeel was good. Very easy to drink.

Overall a great beer and a near perfect representation of the style.

05-21-2011 18:53:53 | More by Lillenk
tjsdomer2

4.35/5  rDev +15.1%

Appearance: Copper in color with good creamy foam and average lacing.

Smell: Yeast and...gummy bears? Yes, I believe that is what I smell...and it somehow works.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Lemon, yeast, and seltzer. Wine grapes in the finish. Almost tastes like a combination of a shandy and an IPA. Gummy bears are also evident of course. Seltzer in the mouthfeel. Medium body.

Overall Drinkability: A wonderfully quirky IPA.

07-04-2013 03:29:13 | More by tjsdomer2
chugalug06

Colorado

4.3/5  rDev +13.8%

A - What an aggressive head it pours... A very spacious head with a nice soapy bottom capped by a nice off-white foam. Brew is clear orange with red and yellow hues. This brew mores a lot like a Guinness...

S - Yum, quite nice! Very citrus. Lots of banana. A rather intriguing scent for a brew to have. It smells like a great Belgian IPA. Lots of apple, pear, grapefruit, banana, and orange. Very fruity.

T - Very unique! What a great brew! Lots of splendid flavor that rips at your tongue. Very fruity. It tastes like it wants to be quite bitter, but it settles down quite quickly.

M - Extremely light and airy. Wonderful carbonation with great balance. Awesome brew. Feels amazing going down.

O - I would have to say they nailed the style with ease. A wonderful brew. I would have to think this brew is quite underrated. Thank you for sharing Another6Pack.

06-01-2011 01:00:23 | More by chugalug06
carlborch

4.29/5  rDev +13.5%

Golden brown pour, slight haze. Four finger, off-white, highly perforated head that persists. Sweet, yeasty, bright floral nose. Faint medicinal and bubble-gum notes. Forward malt on the palate with hints of burnt candy sugar and lingering hop notes. Perfectly-balanced sweet and bitter. Beautiful, thick Belgian lace. Certainly moreish. Refreshing. The ABV is not evident. Some flocculence at the final pour.

08-22-2013 18:22:39 | More by carlborch
Dave_in_GR

4.29/5  rDev +13.5%

Poured from a 16oz can into a pint glass.

Appearance is a dark amber with lots of off-white, foamy head that slowly fades. Nice lacing.

Smell is grainy with floral hops.

Taste is a really nice balance between malty sweetness up front and spicy hop bitterness with the finish - maybe some clove flavors in there? Delicious.

Mouthfeel is very dry thanks to a light body and heavy carbonation.

Overall this is an excellent twist on the American style IPA - really like the dry finish and hop character.

08-27-2013 23:46:29 | More by Dave_in_GR