Triomphe Belgian IPA - Brewery Vivant

Triomphe Belgian IPATriomphe Belgian IPA

Brewery Vivant visit their website

Belgian IPA |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: jale on 01-22-2011

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 348 | Reviews: 96

3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

3.62/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Lovely orange color. The smell is quite sweet and fruity, without any spice or funk. Flavor is too sweet for my tastes, with a lot of cherry/orange and only a little tartness. A nice beer, but I'd prefer something with less fruit, more tart, and a bit of earthiness.

2.75/5  rDev -27.6%

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

3.98/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

A - Pours dark gold with a finger and a half worth of white head. Left no lacing.

S - Very fruity. Oranges, Grapefruit, grapes, lemon and a little bit of mango. Everything jumps at you except for the mangon.

T - Quite a lot going on in this department. Some slight mango and slight pineapple show up at first, followed by a small amount of dates and an even smaller amount of figs. Bitter grapes and apples also make their way into the finish.

M - Light bodied with extremely heavy carbonation. If you allow it to sit it starts to taste like rotten pears.

O - Overall, It was good but it could definitely use some work. The rotten aftertastes have got to go. I'm sure Vivant could work on this very well.

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

3.52/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

16 ounce can
Served in a tulip glass

A - It is caramel colored and clear. Two inches of off-white head cap it.

S - My first impression was that I had my nose in a pine tree. Further whiffs, revealed some citrus and sugary malt. It reminds me of Christmas with the smell of the tree and baking cookies and for some reason someone is eating an orange and a grapefruit.

T - It has a malty sweetness to it with some juniper taste on the finish. It is not as overwhelmingly juniper tasting as I recalled. It seems a lot sweeter.

M - Moderate

O - I had one when I bought it two weeks ago and hated it. Today it is not as offensive. I'll chalk it up to being drunk the first try.

4.16/5  rDev +9.5%

Pint can pours copper with a tall, rocky, ivory head that holds excellent retention and leaves some nice lacing on the glass. Awesome nose with floral hops, fruity, tropical notes, citric, spicy Belgian yeast. Tastes are a nice balance of sweetness, bitterness, and complexity; fresh grapefruity citrus shines through the caramely and biscuity malt. Fruity and spicy notes come through with the Belgian yeast, finishes bitter with some pine and astringency. Thinner body, but ample carbonation. Overall, it did pull through in flavor even though it didn't quite live up to the initial wow factor with appearance and aroma. Definitely recommendable.

3.97/5  rDev +4.5%

Poured from the bottom of a pint can into my Cleveland Browns pint glass. It's a beautiful clear copper color. Almost no haze at all. It looks like a good beer should. Not much head, but displayed a light effervescence.

Smells a little on the sweet side with a bit of floral aroma.

Taste is better than I expected from the smell. Though it is slightly on the sweet side, the floral and orangey-citrus flavor makes this a tasty brew, though it hits quickly and fades fast.

The feel is slightly on the creamy side which contrasts with the appearance.

Not a bad beer at all. I bought it for my can collection, but would go out of my way for another.

3.89/5  rDev +2.4%

A solid Michigan Belgian IPA. Poured into a tasting glass from the can. Hazy straw color, slightly murky but still translucent. Lacy white head. Hops on nose. Taste is a combination of barny hay, hops, and a tangy citrus sweetness. Hops linger.
Good mouthfeel. Nice beer overall.

4.77/5  rDev +25.5%

A: Golden white with a billowy head, depending on how you pour.

S: Sweet Belgian notes along with citrusy hops.

T: This brew has a great balance between the Belgian character and the hops.

M: Good carbonation, on the thin side, but nothing offputting.

O: Great brew from Vivant. I don't know why I've always hesitated picking this up, but I am definitely going to pick it up more often.

4.17/5  rDev +9.7%

No idea when this was bottled but I took the plunge anyways.

I will say, from my first impressions, this beer makes one impressive pour. I am using a “chalice” and just amazed at how nice this beer looks—wonderful creamy head that hangs around for days (or several minutes, at any rate) and a toasted straw with a hint of amber.

There’s a boldly hoppy aroma that states its presence, sharp, crisp and strawlike. The flavor is hop forward with a strong straw presence that finishes with some orange citrus. Very light “Belgian” character, to be honest. This strikes me more as a straightforward IPA with some floral notes at the end, which I suppose is the Belgian aspect. A nicely enjoyable blending of styles which I enjoyed. I certainly won’t have any trouble working my way through the remainder of the four pack.

3.75/5  rDev -1.3%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Triomphe Belgian IPA from Brewery Vivant