Klüdde Strong Ale - Brewery Vivant

Klüdde Strong AleKlüdde Strong Ale

Brewery Vivant visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: jale on 01-23-2011)
Reviews by jeremy13586:
2.93/5  rDev -12.5%

Can poured into Duvel glass. No canning date.

Looks almost black, with some dark amber around the edges when held up to the light. Left behind three fingers of light brown head and some decent lacing. The head settled out into a half-finger layer of foam.

Sweet with a little bit of a boozy twang at the end. Dark fruits come and go in the nose.

A sour twang hits the palate first. It is followed by a sweetness and black licorice. Some herbs, raisin and prune are predominant through the middle, but it finishes with a metallic taste.

Medium bodied, smooth, and lightly carbonated, but the beer as a whole was pretty muddy. The metallic finish didn't help too much.

An awesome looking beer, but it was another one where the looks were deceiving. Each sip started out very promising, but then it just got muddled up. The metallic taste was very off-putting and became more prevalent as it warmed up.

jeremy13586, Jul 02, 2012
2.75/5  rDev -17.9%

warnerry, Aug 25, 2013
3.95/5  rDev +17.9%

Trying the Vivant Kludde and it is a complex beer. This beer should be reated for what the brewer intended and not for what the person's taste buds. The Anise and Dark Fruit will be too much for the layman drinker. The beer is dark and rich but not quite opaque. There is no head or lacing. The taste and smell are powered by black licorice and raisins. The body is medium to full with decent carbonation. Overall it is a tasty beer.

WoodBrew, Jun 16, 2012

Another6Pack, Mar 24, 2012

adamdd, Jun 04, 2012

sgoro, Jun 02, 2012
3.73/5  rDev +11.3%

I picked up a can of Brewery Vivant's Kludde Strong Ale a couple weeks ago for $3.29 at The Lager Mill. This beer seemed pretty interesting, a Belgian Strong Dark Ale brewed with raisins and star anise, sounds pretty unique, I'll give it a shot, so lets see how it goes. 2012 Vintage Limited Release. Poured from a pint can into a goblet.

A- I really like the way the can looks, it's got cool artwork all around even blended into the background with plenty of information, I have never seen a can with a sticker label on it before, but I thought it was pretty cool and different. It poured a nice dark brown color that bordered on being black and it took on a really good looking dark ruby color when held to the light. It had two and a half fingers worth of tan head that died down to a thin layer that stayed till the end. From the can to the liquid inside this beer looks great through and through.

S- Wow lots of different things going on here making for one weird aroma. It starts off with a mild malt aroma and medium amount of spicy yeast. After that things start to get weird with a sour vinegar like aroma that I wasn't expecting. The weirdness continues with some roasted malts, raisins, other dark fruits, and at the end there is a big hit of anise that smells similar to a black jellybean. This is one different smelling beer, there's a lot of different thing going on here that make it really unique but I feel like some of the aromas didn't blend that well together, it's ok.

T- The flavor seems to be just as weird as the aroma and pretty similar. It starts off with a short glimpse of some bready and roasted malts that impart a slight brown bread and a slight smokey malt flavor that is followed by some dark fruits with the raisins sticking out the most. After that comes a light medium amount of spicy Belgian yeast with no specific spice sticking out, after that comes that weird sour slighty similar to vinegar taste that I have only found in wild ales and spoiled beer. On the finish comes a little more more roasted malts and a pretty heavy amount of star anise that makes for a black licorice like finish. It wasn't that bitter, it had some sourness that covered up the bitterness and it had some roasted malts, sour, and anise flavors in the aftertaste. Only a slight bit of alcohol showed up, it was hidden very well. This is one weird tasting beer, at first the flavors were a little to intense and seemed to clash, but after it warmed up slightly and I drank more the flavors seemed to flow better and it wasn't that obnoxious. It's good, but I can't say I loved it.

M- Somewhat Smooth, sharp, medium bodied, and it had a high amount of carbonation that got to be a little prickly. The body was nice but I would have liked the carbonation to be toned down a couple notches so it wasn't so fizzy and prickly.

Overall I thought that this was a good beer that was super unique, but in the realm of Belgian Strong Dark Ales I would say this one is pretty average, but I don't have a lot of experience with that style so I can't be that sure. This beer isn't too drinkable, the flavor and carbonation were pretty intense so one can would be more then enough for me, I couldn't see drinking much more then that, but that alcohol was hidden very well. What I liked most about this beer was the look, every aspect of this beer looked good and I don't know if it could look much better. What I liked least about this beer was the high amount of prickly carbonation, I really think that a lower amount of carbonation would help this beer a lot. I would buy this beer again, but probably just a single and not very often, I would like to see how some of my friends react to this beer. I only recommend this to adventitious beer drinkers, if you can handle a little sour and some anise then you might really like this beer. This beer came out nothing like I expected, I wasn't prepared for the sour aspect of this beer, I'm not a big fan of sours but I think I'm slowly easing into the style as I didn't find the sourness as off putting as I normally do. It takes balls to put out a beer like this and I respect that, it is for sure one of the more weirder beers I have tasted, the flavors were a little to intense for me at first but once I got use to them they weren't half bad, the flavors aren't for everyone but if you can make it through the first few sips you can make it through the full pint. All in all I have to say I am impressed that they took a bunch of flavors that shouldn't go together and somehow they ended up working and I don't how, I can't wait to see what their other Limited Release beers are like. Good job guys, it's nice to know there's another brewer in Michigan who isn't afraid to think out of the box, and the pint cans are a great twist, throw a couple of these in the cooler while camping to mix things up, I bet this would taste even better by a campfire.

StoutHunter, Mar 07, 2012
2.25/5  rDev -32.8%

Zaphog, Jun 07, 2012

leprechaunandfatman, Nov 11, 2012
3.6/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Brewed with Green Raisins and Anise. ABV on my can is 8.5%

A - Poured kind of porter like almost black hazy brown color with a 1/2 inch of tan colored head.

S - Smells of mild Belgium yeast, sour grapes, and mild anise.

T - Really weird at first the Green raisins made it bitter and cloying almost sour and thankfully the anise isn't strong taking the back seat. As it warms the raisin flavors are more mild leaving a bit of dark fruit flavor.

M - ABV is very well masked and drinks with a medium body.

Overall not sure why all the hate for this beer and even more confused why it's worthy to some as a drain pour. It was a very interesting Belgium strong ale and a very cool extra from a trade.

DrDemento456, Feb 18, 2012
2.95/5  rDev -11.9%

Can from the brewery, 16oz can into a tulip.

Dark purple/black with a light brown head. GOod retention and nice lacing. Nose has some herbal, earthy notes, chocolate, black licorice/anise. Taste has some sweet malt character before becoming bitter and herbal. Quite a bit more anise, with a tart fruity finish. Slightly metallic on the back end. Bittersweet, with a medium light body and medium carbonation. Never really been a fan of anything black licorice flavoured, and this beer does nothing to change that.

liamt07, Sep 03, 2012

ROBSTARR, Jul 28, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -17.9%

alrhodesjr, Apr 21, 2012
3.88/5  rDev +15.8%

Thick tan colored head, ebony black, roasted notes, pepper, dark chocolate mint,and green grapes on the nose.

Peppermint start, with pepper, coffee, chocolate, grape like sweet finish.

Overall; Very different then expected. More Porter like then a dark Belgian.Great with dark chocolate mint.

RollBounce, May 31, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -25.4%

Supergenious, Feb 25, 2012

TCgoalie, Dec 29, 2011
4.05/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Another6Pack had sent this to me a while back, but between awaiting picture approval and the unending onslaught of beers, I lost track of this one, buried in my refrigerator. I am thinking that, based on previous reviews, that it may have mellowed during its hiatus. The CANQuest (TM) marches on!

From the CAN: From the CAN: "Special Limited Release"; "Freshly Brewed in Michigan"; "Brewer's Reserve Limited Release"; "Belgian Style Dark Ale Brewed with Star Anise and Green Raisins"; "WHY USE CANS? We set out to build a sustainable brewery and found through our research that cans are a better option than bottles. Cans are much lighter in weight, contain more recycled content, are able to be up-cycled, and use less energy to produce. The canning line also has a much smaller footprint than a bottling line. If this was not enough, cans provide better protection from flavor degenerating oxygen and hop flavor robbing sunlight. This is the best package we can provide to bring our beer to you, tasting the way the brewer intended it. Enjoy."; "At Vivant, our brewers have the freedom to dream up new and experimental beers in order to keep their creative edge. Typically these specialty beers are reserved only for those lucky enough to stop by our pub on the right given day. As is often pointed out to us from those outside Grand Rapids, this seemed very selfish. We agreed and launched this series of small batch beers in [CAN]s."; "As the name implies it is a limited release. It is possible that the beer you are drinking is from a single batch of experimental beer that may never be brewed again. Or maybe we will make it again in a few months, or next year. Yeah, it sounds cruel but there are so many beers we want to make that we just [CAN]'t stop creating. So enjoy it while you [CAN]. If you really like it, don't tell your friends about it and just buy it all yourself."; "Cheers! Vivant Brewers".

Based on its age and the strong possibility that settling may have occurred in the lapsed time, I decided to go with a gentle pour into a Westmalle chalice. The Crack! revealed another brimful craft CAN and I could smell the anise as soon as it was opened. My pour garnered a skim of deep-brown head that quickly dissipated to wisps, but I will take responsibility on that as I did not want to disturb potential lees. Color was a deep, dark-brown with ruby highlights at the edges (SRM = 44) and limited light penetration. Leaning in for a deeper sniff, the anise was prevalent, but the raisins also imparted a vinous white-wine quality. Mouthfeel was medium, but the carbonic bubbles were very small and scrubbing on the tongue. There was little evidence of the alcoholic heat, but instead, it had taken on an interesting tartness, a combination of dry white wine with the bitterness of licorice and dark chocolate. Wild! It strikes me that it has aged nicely, especially given the thoughts of some of the previous reviewers. In looking at the list of other beers in the style, it also becomes obvious that many are Christmas/holiday beers and this really reminds me of some of the ones that I have tasted and/or reviewed. It had that fruitcake taste with dried dark fruits, a bit of tartness and a bready flavor from the malt. The finish was quite dry, again in keeping with its vinousness, but not puckeringly dry. It was tart, certainly, but I would argue against outright sour. It seems that its availability has increased from limited to year-'round and I might suggest buying a four-pack and setting one or two aside to age. This was by no means a drain pour, nor did the thought even occur to me. I recommend buying it now and opening it at the end of this year as it will easily stand up to the passage of time. That said, one was plenty for this self-avowed hophead as I now need a lupulin fix to get me right.

woodychandler, Jan 28, 2014
3.98/5  rDev +18.8%

A - Dark with ruby red hints and tannish finger head.

S - I'm smelling mostly the anise; Belgium yeast and some raisin/grape.

T - The anise blends really nicely with the grape. A sour hint that emerges more as it warms.

M - Medium to full body, a bit of stickiness.

Very interesting beer....So grateful my Michigan buddy was eager to share this. I'm not even a huge anise fan, but it sure works here.

UpToMeBeer, Apr 17, 2012