Klüdde Strong Ale - Brewery Vivant

Klüdde Strong AleKlüdde Strong Ale

Brewery Vivant visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: jale on 01-23-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
woodychandler

4.05/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Another6Pack had sent this to me a while back, but between awaiting picture approval and the unending onslaught of beers, I lost track of this one, buried in my refrigerator. I am thinking that, based on previous reviews, that it may have mellowed during its hiatus. The CANQuest (TM) marches on!

From the CAN: From the CAN: "Special Limited Release"; "Freshly Brewed in Michigan"; "Brewer's Reserve Limited Release"; "Belgian Style Dark Ale Brewed with Star Anise and Green Raisins"; "WHY USE CANS? We set out to build a sustainable brewery and found through our research that cans are a better option than bottles. Cans are much lighter in weight, contain more recycled content, are able to be up-cycled, and use less energy to produce. The canning line also has a much smaller footprint than a bottling line. If this was not enough, cans provide better protection from flavor degenerating oxygen and hop flavor robbing sunlight. This is the best package we can provide to bring our beer to you, tasting the way the brewer intended it. Enjoy."; "At Vivant, our brewers have the freedom to dream up new and experimental beers in order to keep their creative edge. Typically these specialty beers are reserved only for those lucky enough to stop by our pub on the right given day. As is often pointed out to us from those outside Grand Rapids, this seemed very selfish. We agreed and launched this series of small batch beers in [CAN]s."; "As the name implies it is a limited release. It is possible that the beer you are drinking is from a single batch of experimental beer that may never be brewed again. Or maybe we will make it again in a few months, or next year. Yeah, it sounds cruel but there are so many beers we want to make that we just [CAN]'t stop creating. So enjoy it while you [CAN]. If you really like it, don't tell your friends about it and just buy it all yourself."; "Cheers! Vivant Brewers".

Based on its age and the strong possibility that settling may have occurred in the lapsed time, I decided to go with a gentle pour into a Westmalle chalice. The Crack! revealed another brimful craft CAN and I could smell the anise as soon as it was opened. My pour garnered a skim of deep-brown head that quickly dissipated to wisps, but I will take responsibility on that as I did not want to disturb potential lees. Color was a deep, dark-brown with ruby highlights at the edges (SRM = 44) and limited light penetration. Leaning in for a deeper sniff, the anise was prevalent, but the raisins also imparted a vinous white-wine quality. Mouthfeel was medium, but the carbonic bubbles were very small and scrubbing on the tongue. There was little evidence of the alcoholic heat, but instead, it had taken on an interesting tartness, a combination of dry white wine with the bitterness of licorice and dark chocolate. Wild! It strikes me that it has aged nicely, especially given the thoughts of some of the previous reviewers. In looking at the list of other beers in the style, it also becomes obvious that many are Christmas/holiday beers and this really reminds me of some of the ones that I have tasted and/or reviewed. It had that fruitcake taste with dried dark fruits, a bit of tartness and a bready flavor from the malt. The finish was quite dry, again in keeping with its vinousness, but not puckeringly dry. It was tart, certainly, but I would argue against outright sour. It seems that its availability has increased from limited to year-'round and I might suggest buying a four-pack and setting one or two aside to age. This was by no means a drain pour, nor did the thought even occur to me. I recommend buying it now and opening it at the end of this year as it will easily stand up to the passage of time. That said, one was plenty for this self-avowed hophead as I now need a lupulin fix to get me right.

01-28-2014 22:01:26 | More by woodychandler
superspak

3.9/5  rDev +16.4%

16 ounce can into tulip glass, no canning date. Pours very dark hazy reddish brown color with a good 2 finger fairly dense tan head with good retention, that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Some slight spotty lacing on the glass, with a decent amount of carbonation streaming up. Aromas of molasses, anise, caramel, raisin, plum, grape, roasted malt, nuttiness, candi sugar, biscuit, pepper, and yeast spices. Some pretty nice aromas. A little much on the anise, but has some good balance and complexity. Taste of molasses, plum, raisin, roasted malt, grape, anise, chocolate, candi sugar, biscuit, pepper, clove, and yeast spices. Lingering notes of molasses, grape, caramel, candi sugar, anise, roasted malt, chocolate, and yeast spices on the finish for a good bit. The anise definitely is more toned down in the taste, and gives a slight tartness to the brew; which is quite nice. Nice balance and complexity with flavors. Medium carbonation and body; with a fairly creamy and slightly slick mouthfeel. Alcohol is very well hidden, with only a small warming after the finish. Overall this is a damn nice Belgian dark ale! Nice flavor balance, with a good amount of roasted chocolate character. Really enjoyed this one.

04-26-2012 03:51:35 | More by superspak
Zaphog

2.25/5  rDev -32.8%

06-07-2012 01:37:30 | More by Zaphog
liamt07

Ontario (Canada)

2.95/5  rDev -11.9%

Can from the brewery, 16oz can into a tulip.

Dark purple/black with a light brown head. GOod retention and nice lacing. Nose has some herbal, earthy notes, chocolate, black licorice/anise. Taste has some sweet malt character before becoming bitter and herbal. Quite a bit more anise, with a tart fruity finish. Slightly metallic on the back end. Bittersweet, with a medium light body and medium carbonation. Never really been a fan of anything black licorice flavoured, and this beer does nothing to change that.

09-03-2012 02:17:41 | More by liamt07
DrDemento456

3.6/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Brewed with Green Raisins and Anise. ABV on my can is 8.5%

A - Poured kind of porter like almost black hazy brown color with a 1/2 inch of tan colored head.

S - Smells of mild Belgium yeast, sour grapes, and mild anise.

T - Really weird at first the Green raisins made it bitter and cloying almost sour and thankfully the anise isn't strong taking the back seat. As it warms the raisin flavors are more mild leaving a bit of dark fruit flavor.

M - ABV is very well masked and drinks with a medium body.

Overall not sure why all the hate for this beer and even more confused why it's worthy to some as a drain pour. It was a very interesting Belgium strong ale and a very cool extra from a trade.

02-18-2012 01:16:37 | More by DrDemento456
WoodBrew

3.95/5  rDev +17.9%

Trying the Vivant Kludde and it is a complex beer. This beer should be reated for what the brewer intended and not for what the person's taste buds. The Anise and Dark Fruit will be too much for the layman drinker. The beer is dark and rich but not quite opaque. There is no head or lacing. The taste and smell are powered by black licorice and raisins. The body is medium to full with decent carbonation. Overall it is a tasty beer.

06-16-2012 21:20:39 | More by WoodBrew
warnerry

2.75/5  rDev -17.9%

08-25-2013 00:47:18 | More by warnerry
Mitchster

1.35/5  rDev -59.7%

$12.99 for a 4pack of 16oz cans. 8.5% ABV per the label. Brewed with star anise and green raisins.

Pours out to a clear dark walnut, forming a nice creamy light yellow head with very good retention and solid lacing. Moderate carbonation. The aroma is appalling...it smells like a gum rubber stopper. Absolutely horrible. I'm inclined to not even drink it. The mouthfeel is crisp, with a medium-light effervescent body, as it should be for a Belgian dark strong. The taste is awful...it tastes like gum rubber and a sweaty gymnasium. I know my Belgians, and this is unlike any Belgian I've ever had. Phenols and sweat may be typica for some belgian styles, but this is beyond it...this is just wrong. The anise is awful.

One of the worst beers I've had in the last year. Drain pour. I've only taken a beer back to the store for a refund once in my life. This one is going back tomorrow.

02-08-2012 04:53:19 | More by Mitchster
4DAloveofSTOUT

03-12-2012 16:56:55 | More by 4DAloveofSTOUT
tclapper

11-17-2011 03:40:25 | More by tclapper
StoutHunter

3.73/5  rDev +11.3%

I picked up a can of Brewery Vivant's Kludde Strong Ale a couple weeks ago for $3.29 at The Lager Mill. This beer seemed pretty interesting, a Belgian Strong Dark Ale brewed with raisins and star anise, sounds pretty unique, I'll give it a shot, so lets see how it goes. 2012 Vintage Limited Release. Poured from a pint can into a goblet.

A- I really like the way the can looks, it's got cool artwork all around even blended into the background with plenty of information, I have never seen a can with a sticker label on it before, but I thought it was pretty cool and different. It poured a nice dark brown color that bordered on being black and it took on a really good looking dark ruby color when held to the light. It had two and a half fingers worth of tan head that died down to a thin layer that stayed till the end. From the can to the liquid inside this beer looks great through and through.

S- Wow lots of different things going on here making for one weird aroma. It starts off with a mild malt aroma and medium amount of spicy yeast. After that things start to get weird with a sour vinegar like aroma that I wasn't expecting. The weirdness continues with some roasted malts, raisins, other dark fruits, and at the end there is a big hit of anise that smells similar to a black jellybean. This is one different smelling beer, there's a lot of different thing going on here that make it really unique but I feel like some of the aromas didn't blend that well together, it's ok.

T- The flavor seems to be just as weird as the aroma and pretty similar. It starts off with a short glimpse of some bready and roasted malts that impart a slight brown bread and a slight smokey malt flavor that is followed by some dark fruits with the raisins sticking out the most. After that comes a light medium amount of spicy Belgian yeast with no specific spice sticking out, after that comes that weird sour slighty similar to vinegar taste that I have only found in wild ales and spoiled beer. On the finish comes a little more more roasted malts and a pretty heavy amount of star anise that makes for a black licorice like finish. It wasn't that bitter, it had some sourness that covered up the bitterness and it had some roasted malts, sour, and anise flavors in the aftertaste. Only a slight bit of alcohol showed up, it was hidden very well. This is one weird tasting beer, at first the flavors were a little to intense and seemed to clash, but after it warmed up slightly and I drank more the flavors seemed to flow better and it wasn't that obnoxious. It's good, but I can't say I loved it.

M- Somewhat Smooth, sharp, medium bodied, and it had a high amount of carbonation that got to be a little prickly. The body was nice but I would have liked the carbonation to be toned down a couple notches so it wasn't so fizzy and prickly.

Overall I thought that this was a good beer that was super unique, but in the realm of Belgian Strong Dark Ales I would say this one is pretty average, but I don't have a lot of experience with that style so I can't be that sure. This beer isn't too drinkable, the flavor and carbonation were pretty intense so one can would be more then enough for me, I couldn't see drinking much more then that, but that alcohol was hidden very well. What I liked most about this beer was the look, every aspect of this beer looked good and I don't know if it could look much better. What I liked least about this beer was the high amount of prickly carbonation, I really think that a lower amount of carbonation would help this beer a lot. I would buy this beer again, but probably just a single and not very often, I would like to see how some of my friends react to this beer. I only recommend this to adventitious beer drinkers, if you can handle a little sour and some anise then you might really like this beer. This beer came out nothing like I expected, I wasn't prepared for the sour aspect of this beer, I'm not a big fan of sours but I think I'm slowly easing into the style as I didn't find the sourness as off putting as I normally do. It takes balls to put out a beer like this and I respect that, it is for sure one of the more weirder beers I have tasted, the flavors were a little to intense for me at first but once I got use to them they weren't half bad, the flavors aren't for everyone but if you can make it through the first few sips you can make it through the full pint. All in all I have to say I am impressed that they took a bunch of flavors that shouldn't go together and somehow they ended up working and I don't how, I can't wait to see what their other Limited Release beers are like. Good job guys, it's nice to know there's another brewer in Michigan who isn't afraid to think out of the box, and the pint cans are a great twist, throw a couple of these in the cooler while camping to mix things up, I bet this would taste even better by a campfire.

03-07-2012 05:19:19 | More by StoutHunter

2.25/5  rDev -32.8%

04-08-2012 01:50:01 | More by zonker17
david131

2.63/5  rDev -21.5%

A- Pours a very dark ruby red liquid, bordering on black unless held to a light. The creamy light brown head has pretty good retention.

S-Smells like off-brand cola, maybe a touch of coffee, and fruit. Very unique to say the least.

T- Sour fruit, raisins, anise, and some mint. Very odd, and the more I drink of it, the less I enjoy it. There is a lot going on, but of doesn't necessarily mesh.

M- Lighter carbonation with some odd lingering flavors. The alcohol content does seem to be pretty well hidden.

O- The flavors are really odd and just do not mesh. Definitely not something I would seek out again.

04-02-2012 03:34:28 | More by david131

11-11-2012 19:02:43 | More by leprechaunandfatman
chugalug06

Colorado

1.35/5  rDev -59.7%

Think, three-fingered, toffee colored, foamy head. Brew is black.

Heavy licorice and sour malts. Sweaty socks and rubber. Foul.

BLAH! Sour licorice! The raisin is sweet and the anise is bitter; bad mix. Heavy carbonation. Is a zero possible?

This brew is a total loss... An extra and much appreciated, but it's just not my speed... Too much sweetness for the bitter licorice. Sadly a drain pour.

06-21-2012 03:00:01 | More by chugalug06
BlissJunkie

07-22-2013 18:39:48 | More by BlissJunkie
sgoro

06-02-2012 00:58:35 | More by sgoro
GRPunk

3.83/5  rDev +14.3%

Pint can poured into a Duvel tulip.

A- Dark, brown-red body is nearing black through the middle. 1-finger, brown head settles to a light foam. MIT left delicate rings on the glass.

S- At its coldest, the aroma was a little fruity and funky. Dark bread notes suggest a fruitcake as it comes together. Much breadier later on, with hints of raisins. More warmth yet, brings out the licorice aroma I attribute to the anise. I like how it changes over the duration of a glass.

T- Really interesting and complex. Dark, bready start with hints of smoke. Pleasantly sour, vinegar-like finish. A couple more sips and the raisin flavor pulls through. Residual sweetness really gets mellowed by sour aspects to even out the finish. Warmth brings out anise, maybe a touch too much for me.

M- Initailly a bit sharp in the finish. ABV is pretty well hidden, but carbonation gives a bite. Sweetness creates a lingering feel, especially when a little warm.

O- complex and generally enjoyable. Very much a sipper. Raisins, and especially anise get a little long in the end.

02-06-2012 02:27:32 | More by GRPunk