1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Klüdde Strong Ale - Brewery Vivant

Klüdde Strong AleKlüdde Strong Ale

Brewery Vivant visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: jale on 01-23-2011)

adamant1912, May 19, 2012
3.9/5  rDev +16.4%

16 ounce can into tulip glass, no canning date. Pours very dark hazy reddish brown color with a good 2 finger fairly dense tan head with good retention, that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Some slight spotty lacing on the glass, with a decent amount of carbonation streaming up. Aromas of molasses, anise, caramel, raisin, plum, grape, roasted malt, nuttiness, candi sugar, biscuit, pepper, and yeast spices. Some pretty nice aromas. A little much on the anise, but has some good balance and complexity. Taste of molasses, plum, raisin, roasted malt, grape, anise, chocolate, candi sugar, biscuit, pepper, clove, and yeast spices. Lingering notes of molasses, grape, caramel, candi sugar, anise, roasted malt, chocolate, and yeast spices on the finish for a good bit. The anise definitely is more toned down in the taste, and gives a slight tartness to the brew; which is quite nice. Nice balance and complexity with flavors. Medium carbonation and body; with a fairly creamy and slightly slick mouthfeel. Alcohol is very well hidden, with only a small warming after the finish. Overall this is a damn nice Belgian dark ale! Nice flavor balance, with a good amount of roasted chocolate character. Really enjoyed this one.

superspak, Apr 26, 2012

TwoPieceOB166, Apr 25, 2012
2.75/5  rDev -17.9%

alrhodesjr, Apr 21, 2012
3.98/5  rDev +18.8%

A - Dark with ruby red hints and tannish finger head.

S - I'm smelling mostly the anise; Belgium yeast and some raisin/grape.

T - The anise blends really nicely with the grape. A sour hint that emerges more as it warms.

M - Medium to full body, a bit of stickiness.

Very interesting beer....So grateful my Michigan buddy was eager to share this. I'm not even a huge anise fan, but it sure works here.

UpToMeBeer, Apr 17, 2012
2.25/5  rDev -32.8%

zonker17, Apr 08, 2012
2.15/5  rDev -35.8%

A: pours with a deep mahogany color. good head retention that is a yellowish tan.

S: aaahhhh... this different. heavy anise dominates every thing else here. esters are also prevalent. some roast malt. i needed to look hard for it though.

T: starts with crisp acidy green raisin flavor that is almost puckering, then moves to an almost salty ester malty kind of thing followed by star anise. then finishes with a metal flavor. for 9.5% the alcohol is hidden well I know the can have liners but beer should be served in the bottle.

M: does not follow appearance. acidic effervescence. and moderate CO2. light in body for 9.5. needs more unfermentables

O: very interesting overall. had to have another simply out of curiosity. don't think i'll buy any more. it started to get annoying. Cant't get over the can and metal taste. Had buddies that felt the same. At first I thought it was just me. Star Anise just does work here for me, and grapes are for wine.

hmbrewer336, Apr 07, 2012
2.63/5  rDev -21.5%

A- Pours a very dark ruby red liquid, bordering on black unless held to a light. The creamy light brown head has pretty good retention.

S-Smells like off-brand cola, maybe a touch of coffee, and fruit. Very unique to say the least.

T- Sour fruit, raisins, anise, and some mint. Very odd, and the more I drink of it, the less I enjoy it. There is a lot going on, but of doesn't necessarily mesh.

M- Lighter carbonation with some odd lingering flavors. The alcohol content does seem to be pretty well hidden.

O- The flavors are really odd and just do not mesh. Definitely not something I would seek out again.

david131, Apr 02, 2012
3.75/5  rDev +11.9%

Another6Pack, Mar 24, 2012

denimdemon, Mar 15, 2012

tripledbrew, Mar 13, 2012

4DAloveofSTOUT, Mar 12, 2012
3.73/5  rDev +11.3%

I picked up a can of Brewery Vivant's Kludde Strong Ale a couple weeks ago for $3.29 at The Lager Mill. This beer seemed pretty interesting, a Belgian Strong Dark Ale brewed with raisins and star anise, sounds pretty unique, I'll give it a shot, so lets see how it goes. 2012 Vintage Limited Release. Poured from a pint can into a goblet.

A- I really like the way the can looks, it's got cool artwork all around even blended into the background with plenty of information, I have never seen a can with a sticker label on it before, but I thought it was pretty cool and different. It poured a nice dark brown color that bordered on being black and it took on a really good looking dark ruby color when held to the light. It had two and a half fingers worth of tan head that died down to a thin layer that stayed till the end. From the can to the liquid inside this beer looks great through and through.

S- Wow lots of different things going on here making for one weird aroma. It starts off with a mild malt aroma and medium amount of spicy yeast. After that things start to get weird with a sour vinegar like aroma that I wasn't expecting. The weirdness continues with some roasted malts, raisins, other dark fruits, and at the end there is a big hit of anise that smells similar to a black jellybean. This is one different smelling beer, there's a lot of different thing going on here that make it really unique but I feel like some of the aromas didn't blend that well together, it's ok.

T- The flavor seems to be just as weird as the aroma and pretty similar. It starts off with a short glimpse of some bready and roasted malts that impart a slight brown bread and a slight smokey malt flavor that is followed by some dark fruits with the raisins sticking out the most. After that comes a light medium amount of spicy Belgian yeast with no specific spice sticking out, after that comes that weird sour slighty similar to vinegar taste that I have only found in wild ales and spoiled beer. On the finish comes a little more more roasted malts and a pretty heavy amount of star anise that makes for a black licorice like finish. It wasn't that bitter, it had some sourness that covered up the bitterness and it had some roasted malts, sour, and anise flavors in the aftertaste. Only a slight bit of alcohol showed up, it was hidden very well. This is one weird tasting beer, at first the flavors were a little to intense and seemed to clash, but after it warmed up slightly and I drank more the flavors seemed to flow better and it wasn't that obnoxious. It's good, but I can't say I loved it.

M- Somewhat Smooth, sharp, medium bodied, and it had a high amount of carbonation that got to be a little prickly. The body was nice but I would have liked the carbonation to be toned down a couple notches so it wasn't so fizzy and prickly.

Overall I thought that this was a good beer that was super unique, but in the realm of Belgian Strong Dark Ales I would say this one is pretty average, but I don't have a lot of experience with that style so I can't be that sure. This beer isn't too drinkable, the flavor and carbonation were pretty intense so one can would be more then enough for me, I couldn't see drinking much more then that, but that alcohol was hidden very well. What I liked most about this beer was the look, every aspect of this beer looked good and I don't know if it could look much better. What I liked least about this beer was the high amount of prickly carbonation, I really think that a lower amount of carbonation would help this beer a lot. I would buy this beer again, but probably just a single and not very often, I would like to see how some of my friends react to this beer. I only recommend this to adventitious beer drinkers, if you can handle a little sour and some anise then you might really like this beer. This beer came out nothing like I expected, I wasn't prepared for the sour aspect of this beer, I'm not a big fan of sours but I think I'm slowly easing into the style as I didn't find the sourness as off putting as I normally do. It takes balls to put out a beer like this and I respect that, it is for sure one of the more weirder beers I have tasted, the flavors were a little to intense for me at first but once I got use to them they weren't half bad, the flavors aren't for everyone but if you can make it through the first few sips you can make it through the full pint. All in all I have to say I am impressed that they took a bunch of flavors that shouldn't go together and somehow they ended up working and I don't how, I can't wait to see what their other Limited Release beers are like. Good job guys, it's nice to know there's another brewer in Michigan who isn't afraid to think out of the box, and the pint cans are a great twist, throw a couple of these in the cooler while camping to mix things up, I bet this would taste even better by a campfire.

StoutHunter, Mar 07, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -25.4%

Supergenious, Feb 25, 2012

raymo55, Feb 18, 2012
3.6/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Brewed with Green Raisins and Anise. ABV on my can is 8.5%

A - Poured kind of porter like almost black hazy brown color with a 1/2 inch of tan colored head.

S - Smells of mild Belgium yeast, sour grapes, and mild anise.

T - Really weird at first the Green raisins made it bitter and cloying almost sour and thankfully the anise isn't strong taking the back seat. As it warms the raisin flavors are more mild leaving a bit of dark fruit flavor.

M - ABV is very well masked and drinks with a medium body.

Overall not sure why all the hate for this beer and even more confused why it's worthy to some as a drain pour. It was a very interesting Belgium strong ale and a very cool extra from a trade.

DrDemento456, Feb 18, 2012
1.35/5  rDev -59.7%

$12.99 for a 4pack of 16oz cans. 8.5% ABV per the label. Brewed with star anise and green raisins.

Pours out to a clear dark walnut, forming a nice creamy light yellow head with very good retention and solid lacing. Moderate carbonation. The aroma is appalling...it smells like a gum rubber stopper. Absolutely horrible. I'm inclined to not even drink it. The mouthfeel is crisp, with a medium-light effervescent body, as it should be for a Belgian dark strong. The taste is awful...it tastes like gum rubber and a sweaty gymnasium. I know my Belgians, and this is unlike any Belgian I've ever had. Phenols and sweat may be typica for some belgian styles, but this is beyond it...this is just wrong. The anise is awful.

One of the worst beers I've had in the last year. Drain pour. I've only taken a beer back to the store for a refund once in my life. This one is going back tomorrow.

Mitchster, Feb 08, 2012
3.68/5  rDev +9.9%

A pours a dark red, with almost no head.

S seems a little cold for the style, but I get a little graininess.

T Very nice spicy flavor. Some cinnamon, maybe some sage? Very much like a spice cake.

M full, slightly cloying

O a very nice spiced ale. The spice doesn't come over to strong.

enfield249, Feb 07, 2012
3.83/5  rDev +14.3%

Pint can poured into a Duvel tulip.

A- Dark, brown-red body is nearing black through the middle. 1-finger, brown head settles to a light foam. MIT left delicate rings on the glass.

S- At its coldest, the aroma was a little fruity and funky. Dark bread notes suggest a fruitcake as it comes together. Much breadier later on, with hints of raisins. More warmth yet, brings out the licorice aroma I attribute to the anise. I like how it changes over the duration of a glass.

T- Really interesting and complex. Dark, bready start with hints of smoke. Pleasantly sour, vinegar-like finish. A couple more sips and the raisin flavor pulls through. Residual sweetness really gets mellowed by sour aspects to even out the finish. Warmth brings out anise, maybe a touch too much for me.

M- Initailly a bit sharp in the finish. ABV is pretty well hidden, but carbonation gives a bite. Sweetness creates a lingering feel, especially when a little warm.

O- complex and generally enjoyable. Very much a sipper. Raisins, and especially anise get a little long in the end.

GRPunk, Feb 06, 2012

amrozga, Jan 25, 2012

TCgoalie, Dec 29, 2011

tclapper, Nov 17, 2011

klipper, Nov 14, 2011
4.18/5  rDev +24.8%

My first sip of Vivant, and a fine one it was. Perhaps my favorite beer I had there.

A great deep brown, perfectly clear. The clarity make sense given the lagering tanks in the backroom, the color is great. A small head of creamy color sits well and long, lacing the glass. Our sexy server says this is her favorite, and I am inclined to believe her.

A mild spicy funk, some fruits and caramel, herbs and leather. Oddly, at 9.something it was the highest alcohol beer there and also one of the driest. I expected a thicker muddier mouthfeel from a BSDA, but not worth complaining too much.

Vivant- I'm excited to hear about those bourbon barrels filled with Kludde in the back.

olympuszymurgus, Jan 26, 2011
4.3/5  rDev +28.4%

Sampled on tap at Brewery Vivant with extended reviewing conducted upon the contents of a to go growler:

The pour unleashes a lovely dark body topped by a tan head with lacing in tow. Lazy carbonation flits through the richness and deposits as a spitty patch and ring forming atop the bliss below.

The nose throws spice, a pinch of anise, some rich malt base, and a blunted banana.

The taste is creamy and sweet at the onset with a ripe darkness that greets each swallow. A striking spice element follows on the heals of this foundation to create a perfect compliment that is sustained until gradually fading into a pleasing finish without overpowering the senses. Beautiful balance. Well contrived.

The mouthfeel is fantastic. It is round and creamy with a light carbonation that increases the heaviness of the body and supports the weight of all of the components quite expertly.

This brew is dangerously drinkable. The smoothness and the balance of flavours and textures allow ease of drinking.

A solid pull from Brewery Vivant. Hopefully this brew will find itself on tap perpetually and within bottles for all to enjoy when that day comes. Well done and sure to draw admirers.

SupaCelt, Jan 25, 2011