Big Red Coq - Brewery Vivant

Big Red CoqBig Red Coq

Brewery Vivant visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: SupaCelt on 02-13-2011

Dark amber in appearance. Exceptionally unique flavor with just the right balance of bitterness and fruity (berry) undertones. Overall a very well crafted and unique offering.

4.82/5  rDev +24.9%

This beer really floored me because it strikes me as being an American Amber with Belgian qualities. If not a perfect storm, then at least an exceptional one.

It looks like you'd expect a beer called red cog to. Nice white head but it looked just a little thin to me with the mahogany not really popping. Looked like your average amber with a fluffy Belgian head.

It smelled like a hoppy american amber with a hint of fruit.

But it tastes tremendous, to me. Feels great in the mouth... not as thing and not as hoppy as it smells. Goes down very, very smooth. You could drink a few of these and be very happy.

4.72/5  rDev +22.3%

Awesome red ale, probably my favorite. I love the Belgian American blend. It is strong and full in flavor. It is not meant to be consumed all night, but great for a couple beers.

4.71/5  rDev +22%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This pours a pleasing caramel red color with light foam. The aroma is a delightful surprise--for a red ale there's actually some character! I get a light floral note, a touch of caramel, and some wonderful Citra-influenced tropical characteristics. Tastes great too, with just the right balance. Not a malt bomb, hops are present but don't dominate, and it leaves me wanting another. Well done.

4.54/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Even my girlfriend loves a bit of Big Red Coq now and then. A very approachable beer, looks great in a glass. Hold it up to the light and you can see shimmering fine sugar crystals streaming along the carbonation. Moderate head, a bit of lacing. Malty goodness supports a hop profile that's grapefruity up front, and something like sour rainfall in the back. It's not pretentious, it's balanced, and I'm glad it's more widely available now.

4.43/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Beautiful red color that is often hard to find when its packaged in a bottle. Its sweet and delightful. A beer that I will consistently drink more of.

4.39/5  rDev +13.7%

Visual: pours a ruby caramel color.
Smell: strong fruity smell of orange, grapefruit and citrus.
Taste: interesting taste of orange and a light burnt coffee flavor. Mildly bitter.
Overall: lighter taste and easily drinkable.

4.37/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours deep red, with hues of brown. And a good finger light tan head that has good retention.

Nose on this awesome tropical fruit notes dominate this one on the front end. Mainly mango with hints of pinapple and slight melon notes. Malt is sweet and very unique. If I never had whiskey rooster I would think it can't get any better then this.

Taste is great. More malt comes out in the taste. There is a slight mango like fruity note to start but then Gets slightly sweet and has a unique malty wood like notes and a clean finish.

Mouthfeel is good and has a nice light crisp crisp body and is very drinkable.

4.36/5  rDev +13%

A. Golden red

S. grassy, crystal malts

T. I have had 3 different beers from Brewery Vivant. I have liked each one for its own qualities. Tonight I realized that they all share a common underling flavor. It's makes me wonder if they use the same base malts in each or is it simple their house yeast that I'm noticing in each. The taste is hoppy with a husky grainy flavor.

M. Drying, lightly carbonated, medium body

O. Perfect take on an American red with a Belgian influence.

4.35/5  rDev +12.7%

16oz can, nice red-brown color, tall rocky ivory head hold great retention and leaves tons of lacing on the glass as it fades. Citric nose with tropical notes of mango and pineapple, some caramel malt and yeast is also noticeable. Tastes are fruity with mango, pineapple, grapefruit, caramel, toasted grain, yeast - tremendous balance here! Medium body, pleasant carbonation, finishes semi-bitter. Overall, nice treat; I might have to grab this one again. I really enjoyed it thoroughly! I was hoping that the Belgian yeast would stand out more, but it's also fine just the way it is.

4.3/5  rDev +11.4%

A - pours clear amber with a small amount of light tan head. Head dissipates pretty quickly without leaving much lacing.

S -nice combination of caramel malt, some nice slightly funky Belgian yeast, and a bit of hops.

T - similar to the smell and more. The belgian yeast and hop presence really set this above a traditional amber, which is admittedly not my favorite style. Has a nice subtle honey sweetness to offset the funk and hop bitterness. Finishes dry with some lingering bitterness.

M - light/medium mouthfeel with a nice dry finish.

O - probably my favorite of the vivant brews I've tried. While they have all been good, most seem like tame versions of their style. This is a highly enjoyable take on the amber style that I would love to see canned.

4.21/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours into my stemmed Hennepin glass a deep amber/brown with a thick sticky tan colored head atop.Floral and grassy hops dominate the nose along with light spiced phenols,quite spiced in fact,more of a pepper and clove note.The grassy hops are big on the palate with a dryer malt base,phenols give off spice but not in your face,somewhat earthy in the finish.Damn I like this beer alot,to me it's a little underrated.

4.14/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Drank this one straight from the can. Aroma is sweet caramel malt, citrus and floral hops. Prepares you well for the taste which is pretty amazing. Toasty, sweet, and that beautiful Belgian yeast. Ridiculous name, great ale.

4.13/5  rDev +7%

I think this was $4.19 for a 126oz can at BigTen in East Lansing. 6.25% ABV. Pours out to a clear deep garnet, forming a tall whipped meringue like creamy yeallow head with superior retention and beautiful thick lacing. The nose is hops galore...I'm getting cat-pee Simcoe but also some pine and grapefruit. The mouthfeel is really gorgeous. Beautiful carbonation level, about 2.5 carbs with a medium body. Finishes really dry. Nice notes of tropical fruit like pineapple and pear from the yeast...very subtle compared to the hops. The bitterness is well-balanced with the dry finish, making it really quite drinkable.

4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

Pours a beautiful copper brown,with an ever-so-slight haze. 2.5-inch, creamy, tan head forms and dissipates slowly to 1.5 inch. Distinctive hop and yeast nose. Suggestions of sour-dough bread. Most pleasant. Medium body. The palate is bright with lingering malt and bitter notes. Much Belgian lace. Dry. Great aperitif beer! This ale made me hungry. Highly moreish! A definite repurchase.

4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

I picked up a can of Brewery Vivant's Big Red Coq the other day for $2.59 at The Lager Mill. This is the newest beer from their Brewers Reserve Series, I am really starting to like this Series after having their Zaison, so lets see how this beer turns out. No visible bottling date but I know it's fresh, Spring 2012 Vintage. Poured from a 16oz can into a tulip.

A- It comes in their Brewers Reserve Series can with a nice looking big red rooster on the sticker that looks like it could be on a coat of arms, looks good to me. It foamed slightly out of the can and it poured a nice darker red color that took on a nice bright red/copper/ruby color with two and a half fingers worth of slightly off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left some nice spotty lacing. This is a good looking beer, I see no flaws with it's appearance.

S- The aroma is pretty complex. The first thing that I pick up in the aroma is nice a malty presence that had a high amount of medium sweetness and imparted some lightly toasted malts, caramel malts, and a slight toffee like aroma. Next comes the yeast that distinctly smells Belgian, it imparts lots of spicy aromas like cloves, along with a good amount of bananas. After that I get some hops which are spicy, floral aroma but it was the citrus hops that stuck out the most. This was a good, unique, and very complex smelling beer, I like it, it has a little bit of everything.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma just a little bit more balanced, it starts off with loads of malts which have a lower amount of medium sweetness and imparted a nice caramel malts, lightly toasted malts, and biscuit like flavors. Next up is the Belgian yeast which isn't as spicy as it was in the aroma, but the banana flavor still comes through as much as it did in the aroma and adds some nice complexity to this beer. Towards the end I got a nice dose of hops which are mainly floral and citrus and it had a lighter amount of medium bitterness with a malty, yeasty, and slightly hoppy aftertaste. This is a good tasting beer, just like the aroma it was pretty complex and there was a little bit of everything in this beer, I like it.

M- Pretty smooth, crisp, slightly dry, medium bodied with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel worked nicely with this beer, I have no complaints.

Overall I enjoyed this beer and I thought it was good and unique example of an American Red Ale, it had some things you wouldn't expect to see in the style but they all seem to come together nicely. This beer had pretty good drinkability, it went down pretty smooth, was a little refreshing, and it had a unique flavor that held my attention, I could see me drinking a couple cans of this if I was in the mood. What I liked most about this beer was the aroma and flavor that were nice and unique, there's no way you could mistake this beer for the Average American Red Ale, it's everything but average. What I liked least about this beer was that this was a special release, I think it should be added to the year round lineup. I would buy this beer again when looking for a good unique Red Ale and I highly recommend giving this beer a try. The first beer in this series was a little disappointing but after that they have all been good and solid beers, Brewery Vivant really knows what they are doing and are doing a great job with this series, if they keep the trend up this might be one of the better special series of beers around. I am glad they switched things up with this beer and put their own signature twist on it, it worked out pretty well, good job guys.

4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

Poured into a pint glass

A: 1.5 fingers head from a moderate pour. Head is off-white, tight and pillowy. Clear copper liquid.
S: Citra? hops, maybe Simcoe, it's very fruity in a tropical way. PNW characteristics. Slightly dusty yeast aroma. Mostly hops. Like a nice IPA in fact! Some caramel malt upon warming.
T: Funky and hoppy up front with a bitter bite holding on. Much more Belgian taste than was hinted at in the aroma. Though it is still only slightly "Belgian" Grapefruit bitterness.
M: Very dry. Thin; I would like a tad more body as it borders on watery.
O: Enjoyable brew that I'd love another of and would buy again. Mouthfeel brings the overall down. Could be great with slightly more character in the mouthfeel.

4.09/5  rDev +6%

No canning date. $3.49 for a 16oz can. Poured into S.A. Perfect Pint Glass

Appearance: What the hell. I barely moved the can, but even then, I poured it into a glass and the whole pint glass filled with foam with maybe an ounce of beer. Because the head wouldn't go anywhere, I had to spoon out a bunch of foam. Big Red Coq is a beautiful, hazy red color with a light tan, creamy head, and great lacing. I give it a 3 for appearance though because I had to spoon the equivalent of three ounces of beer out of my glass. Looks great after that though.

Smell: It smells a touch Belgian, but it's not much. There are plenty of hops and malts to go around in the aroma. The hops are mostly grassy, and the malt gives a sweet note to make it even more inviting. Smells fantastic.

Taste/feel: Quite interesting. That slight, Belgian sourness is definitely there, but it's not too much. The hops aren't as "bursting" as I thought they'd be, judging by the taste. The malt flavor is of caramel and sweetness, and it works well. This is an odd beer, and I'm not sure how to describe it, but it's really good. This is sour, sweet, and a bit bitter. The aroma makes Big Red Coq smell like an IPA (I wish MINE did...), but the taste is distinctively Belgian. For some reason, it's difficult for me to pull out specific flavors in this beer. It's just interesting. It's like a red in that it has plenty of the malt and sweetness that you'd expect, IPA-esque in that it smells like one and has a pretty significant hop flavor, and then it tastes Belgian because of the yeast. As it warms up, the sourness becomes more prominent. The feel on this beer is middle of the road, with a pretty active-but-pleasant carbonation.

This is unlike any other beer I've had before... an amber with more hops than usual, and Belgian yeast. Extremely unhelpful review, but I CAN tell you that it's a very tasty beer that's worth picking up if you can.

4.07/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Not much to look at but has nice color. Smell is nice - good sweet bread/caramel malt compliment the greener hop notes. This is very easy to drink. Well balanced and light on the palette for a beer with so much malt forward character. Belgian yeast compliments it all with a little candi sweetness to it.

4.05/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured from a can into a pint glass
A: Excellent red color with small head that holds a long time. Great lacing.
S: Saison zest with hop smell. Really balanced smell.
T: A little watery on the front that gives way to mild malt and some floral hop on the end.
M: Hops and some minor belgian zest.
O: A really balanced good beer. Tastes like a hoppy saison and I would bet that fresh this is absolutly amazing.

4.03/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured into a Duvel tulip on 6/14/12

Many thanks to beesy; I'd never heard of this brewery before.

Solid-looking beer; medium dark copper/amber with a mild layer of haziness. A billowy, two finger head collapses slowly, retaining a smooth, yet quite uneven grade. Scatterings of lace are left on the inside lip of the glass. Lace is thicker farther down.

The aroma has a pretty good showing of hops: piney, earthy, some floral and faint hints of citric zest. The hops are offset by toasted bread and some caramel; it's a decent enough balance between the hops and malts. I'm not picking up too much of the "Belgo," aside from a modest fruity twang buried within the mix. Smells like it'll be pretty dry.

And dry it is. Resiny, piney hops mingle with zesty citric tones; the hop flavor has a nice punch to it. Thankfully, the floral and earthy notions in the aroma are minimized here. Malt-wise, the focus on more on dry, toasty bread than on caramel; suits me just fine. As with the aroma, the "Belgo" yeast is rather unobtrusive; adding some of the aforementioned fruity twang, albeit in a slightly more prominent measure than the nose.

The feel is medium with an enjoyable amount of sticky resin hanging around. Carbonation bolsters the hops without outshining them. The finish is surprisingly on the clean side.

The subtle "Belgo" characteristics are a welcomed addition to the Hoppy Red/Imperial Red style and a nice change of pace from the floral/caramel combo that plagues so many of the lesser reds out there. I'd drink this regularly if I could.

16oz can poured into a tulip.

A: Pours an opaque reddish gold with a 1 finger off white head. Some visible carbonation in the body. Head sticks around for a minute or two leaving some lacing.

S: Lot going on with the smell here. There is belgian yeast flat out up front, but also a hopping on top of that and a solid almost sweet carmely malt backing.

T: Balanced comes to mind as I take my first sip. Has a smooth malty taste balanced by some yeast and hops. I'd say malt lingers more in the aftertaste

M: Full bodied with lots of carbonation. Has a nice clean finish, easy drinking.

Overall this is a beer I could enjoy on a regular basis. Has the Belgian drinkability with some amped up American malts and hops.

16 oz can poured into a Brewery Vivant glass.
6% ABV,

A - Bright and clear amber in color, Big Red Coq is a vibrant beer topped with a loose and fleeting ivory cap of foam that settles to a thin skim with little lace left behind. 4

S - Ripe stone and tropical fruits come together with a jammy presence spread across slightly burnt whole wheat toast. Belgian yeast nuances trickle in on the finish, delicately imparting clay and spice notes to the otherwise American hop-forward beer. 4

T - Earthy, dry malt pulls the toast overtones from the aroma but also dusts in some cocoa and dirt before Belgian yeasty clay and bright fruit notes finish out. 4.25

M - Big Red Coq's dry entry leads to a medium-full body and a wonderfully balanced bitter finish from the hops that comes full circle and lingers with dryness. 4.5

O - This might be the first (and last) time I've said this; I like this beer better on tap. It was mindbogglingly different than anything else while experienced at the brewery. Great in the can, it's lacking the explosive combination of Belgian yeast and American hops. This review captures some of that uniqueness for an amber but, not quite everything it can be, had fresh at the source. It's a damn good beer regardless. 4.25

16 oz can, no dating.

A: Clear golden reddish brown, bubbly off-white head.

S: Bitter hops up front, fading to caramel malts and some slight hint of Belgian yeasts as well.

T: More hop taste than a regular red ale, but most of the hop taste is up-front. The slight Belgian banana taste in the body off-sets the malt quite nicely. Could use a little more flavor on the end though.

M: Well-carbonated, crisp mouthfeel, a little light on the body though.

Overall - another enjoyable beer from Vivant. Generally I am not a huge fan of red ales, so I was pleasantly surprised. Glad they have this out in cans at the moment!

Appearance: This brew pours out with a rich red hue and a fluffy and luxurious white head.

Nose: The nose throws off some mouthwatering hops pokes. Substantial florals and pings of grapefruit bounce off the bready malt frame.

Taste: The flavor is very pleasing. The hops shine through while belgian ale yeast adds a twist to the the traditional red ale characteristics. Mildly dry. Very enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: An oddly light medium body tries its best to support the bill here. It holds its own and makes this beer a snap to drink.

Drinkability: This is fit for a session. Very easy to appreciate.

Big Red Coq from Brewery Vivant