Big Red Coq - Brewery Vivant

Big Red CoqBig Red Coq

Brewery Vivant visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: SupaCelt on 02-13-2011)
ChadQuest

3.25/5  rDev -15.6%

there is a fluffy head that lasts with vigor, fades after a long while into lacing and a collar. Body is translucent pale amber.
Nose is balanced with cascade hop like notes and sweet sugar rolled strawberry.
The malts cover more of the hop flavors then on the aroma, but some citrus still cuts through. Summer fruits, caramel, noting some floral esters which are probably the biggest sign of the belgo yeast.
medium body.

06-27-2012 05:34:52 | More by ChadQuest
adamant1912

06-27-2012 00:14:04 | More by adamant1912
david131

3.53/5  rDev -8.3%

A- Pours a clear orange-red liquid with numerous streams of carbonation making their way to the surface. The off-white head is thick and creamy with nice retention.

S- Oats, grass, flowers, caramel, and a touch of pine. Smells like a red ale with just a bit of something unique.

T- Flowers, grass, caramel, and orange rind. There is a definite oat aspect which is not super appealing to me, nut does not detract from the experience too much.

M- Abundant carbonation keeps it light and slightly spicy. There is some definite lingering flavors.

O- A well-made red ale. Drinks pretty nicely, but it is not one of my favorites.

06-21-2012 02:48:51 | More by david131
chugalug06

Colorado

3.23/5  rDev -16.1%

Impressive, three-finger, caramel colored head sneaks up on you when poured. Brew has great red clarity. Circular lacing.

Nice belgian scents mixed with light, sweet, tropical fruits. Lots of biscuity caramels.

Not a bitter as I had hoped... More sweet then bitter. Smooth and mily without many overwhelming hop notes. A bit flat on the flavor scale, nothing overwhelming. Bready, biscuit, dry, and overly carbonated.

A nice refreshing brew, but not complex or deep. I kept looking for more as I enjoyed Big Red Cog, but it failed to deliver more then average flavors. Enjoyable, but not worth seeking.

06-19-2012 01:19:48 | More by chugalug06
Ryan011235

4.05/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured into a Duvel tulip on 6/14/12

Many thanks to beesy; I'd never heard of this brewery before.

Solid-looking beer; medium dark copper/amber with a mild layer of haziness. A billowy, two finger head collapses slowly, retaining a smooth, yet quite uneven grade. Scatterings of lace are left on the inside lip of the glass. Lace is thicker farther down.

The aroma has a pretty good showing of hops: piney, earthy, some floral and faint hints of citric zest. The hops are offset by toasted bread and some caramel; it's a decent enough balance between the hops and malts. I'm not picking up too much of the "Belgo," aside from a modest fruity twang buried within the mix. Smells like it'll be pretty dry.

And dry it is. Resiny, piney hops mingle with zesty citric tones; the hop flavor has a nice punch to it. Thankfully, the floral and earthy notions in the aroma are minimized here. Malt-wise, the focus on more on dry, toasty bread than on caramel; suits me just fine. As with the aroma, the "Belgo" yeast is rather unobtrusive; adding some of the aforementioned fruity twang, albeit in a slightly more prominent measure than the nose.

The feel is medium with an enjoyable amount of sticky resin hanging around. Carbonation bolsters the hops without outshining them. The finish is surprisingly on the clean side.

The subtle "Belgo" characteristics are a welcomed addition to the Hoppy Red/Imperial Red style and a nice change of pace from the floral/caramel combo that plagues so many of the lesser reds out there. I'd drink this regularly if I could.

06-15-2012 02:04:20 | More by Ryan011235
beesy

3.88/5  rDev +0.8%

Poured from a can

A - pours a clear bright orange with a finger and a half of eggshell white head.

S - slight belgian note. A touch of citusy hops. I don't know where its coming from, but I keep getting a big peanut/peanutbutter nose.

T - a lighter belgian profile throughout. Hops are slighty citusy throughout, shining a little more on the late palate. A very soft beer with a reserved bitterness. A firm malt backbone with a slightly bready profile.

M - medium bodied. Very soft on the palate.

D - medium to medium low for me.

Overall, I can't find much to hate, but I can't find a lot to make me love it. The appearance is fantastic, but as the name implies, I was expecting more of a mahagony color. I'm not sure where the nutty aroma I get is coming from, I'll have to see if it exists in the other cans.

06-15-2012 00:56:14 | More by beesy
FaceYourBeers

3.98/5  rDev +3.4%

First vivant beer. First BA review. First legit canned craft brew.

A. Intense head. Decent retention. Classic bright mahogany.

S. hoppity hop! Citrus. Floral. With a sweet punch. Mmm.

T. Malts hit you first. Moves to hops. Moves to bitter finish. Where's the belgo? Barely there. Nice blend tho. Love the style. Reminds me of a sessionable version of the FFF Brian Boru.

M. Not sure if the can makes the carbonation extra intense at first. But it dies down to a perfect creamy burn.

O. Wish I had more than 4! Definitely seek this out. Great session beer.

06-12-2012 22:11:28 | More by FaceYourBeers
liamt07

Ontario (Canada)

3.85/5  rDev 0%

Can from the brewery, 16oz can into a tulip.

Hazy mahogany with an offwhite head, almost yellowish. Chunky retention and good lace. Nose is predominantly citrus, lots of hops. Grainy breads, and some earthier and grassy character. Taste has grass and earth notes again, with a substantial amount of citrus hops. Caramel malt fits in there too. Grassy and citrus rind in the finish. Low carbonation for the style. Not an outstanding offering as I've come to expect from Vivant, but not all that bad either.

06-12-2012 00:04:54 | More by liamt07

BellsFan

4.38/5  rDev +13.8%

A. Golden red

S. grassy, crystal malts

T. I have had 3 different beers from Brewery Vivant. I have liked each one for its own qualities. Tonight I realized that they all share a common underling flavor. It's makes me wonder if they use the same base malts in each or is it simple their house yeast that I'm noticing in each. The taste is hoppy with a husky grainy flavor.

M. Drying, lightly carbonated, medium body

O. Perfect take on an American red with a Belgian influence.

05-23-2012 01:41:13 | More by BellsFan
StoutHunter

4.1/5  rDev +6.5%

I picked up a can of Brewery Vivant's Big Red Coq the other day for $2.59 at The Lager Mill. This is the newest beer from their Brewers Reserve Series, I am really starting to like this Series after having their Zaison, so lets see how this beer turns out. No visible bottling date but I know it's fresh, Spring 2012 Vintage. Poured from a 16oz can into a tulip.

A- It comes in their Brewers Reserve Series can with a nice looking big red rooster on the sticker that looks like it could be on a coat of arms, looks good to me. It foamed slightly out of the can and it poured a nice darker red color that took on a nice bright red/copper/ruby color with two and a half fingers worth of slightly off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left some nice spotty lacing. This is a good looking beer, I see no flaws with it's appearance.

S- The aroma is pretty complex. The first thing that I pick up in the aroma is nice a malty presence that had a high amount of medium sweetness and imparted some lightly toasted malts, caramel malts, and a slight toffee like aroma. Next comes the yeast that distinctly smells Belgian, it imparts lots of spicy aromas like cloves, along with a good amount of bananas. After that I get some hops which are spicy, floral aroma but it was the citrus hops that stuck out the most. This was a good, unique, and very complex smelling beer, I like it, it has a little bit of everything.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma just a little bit more balanced, it starts off with loads of malts which have a lower amount of medium sweetness and imparted a nice caramel malts, lightly toasted malts, and biscuit like flavors. Next up is the Belgian yeast which isn't as spicy as it was in the aroma, but the banana flavor still comes through as much as it did in the aroma and adds some nice complexity to this beer. Towards the end I got a nice dose of hops which are mainly floral and citrus and it had a lighter amount of medium bitterness with a malty, yeasty, and slightly hoppy aftertaste. This is a good tasting beer, just like the aroma it was pretty complex and there was a little bit of everything in this beer, I like it.

M- Pretty smooth, crisp, slightly dry, medium bodied with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel worked nicely with this beer, I have no complaints.

Overall I enjoyed this beer and I thought it was good and unique example of an American Red Ale, it had some things you wouldn't expect to see in the style but they all seem to come together nicely. This beer had pretty good drinkability, it went down pretty smooth, was a little refreshing, and it had a unique flavor that held my attention, I could see me drinking a couple cans of this if I was in the mood. What I liked most about this beer was the aroma and flavor that were nice and unique, there's no way you could mistake this beer for the Average American Red Ale, it's everything but average. What I liked least about this beer was that this was a special release, I think it should be added to the year round lineup. I would buy this beer again when looking for a good unique Red Ale and I highly recommend giving this beer a try. The first beer in this series was a little disappointing but after that they have all been good and solid beers, Brewery Vivant really knows what they are doing and are doing a great job with this series, if they keep the trend up this might be one of the better special series of beers around. I am glad they switched things up with this beer and put their own signature twist on it, it worked out pretty well, good job guys.

05-21-2012 04:04:09 | More by StoutHunter
meepmeep

16 oz can, no dating.

A: Clear golden reddish brown, bubbly off-white head.

S: Bitter hops up front, fading to caramel malts and some slight hint of Belgian yeasts as well.

T: More hop taste than a regular red ale, but most of the hop taste is up-front. The slight Belgian banana taste in the body off-sets the malt quite nicely. Could use a little more flavor on the end though.

M: Well-carbonated, crisp mouthfeel, a little light on the body though.

Overall - another enjoyable beer from Vivant. Generally I am not a huge fan of red ales, so I was pleasantly surprised. Glad they have this out in cans at the moment!

05-19-2012 22:13:08 | More by meepmeep

7Durandal7

03-26-2012 23:34:10 | More by 7Durandal7
sweett3k

3.9/5  rDev +1.3%

Had on tap at a local Grand Rapids resturaunt. Nice redish brown color with great head and lacing. Not much going on for smell...notes of cherry and bread. Nice sweet taste of biscuit metalic hops. Nice and easy to drink. This is my first Brewery Vivant beer and I am quite pleased looking to go well with my fish tacos.

02-15-2012 17:15:46 | More by sweett3k