Big Red Coq - Brewery Vivant

American Amber / Red Ale |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: SupaCelt on 02-13-2011

Ratings: 344 | Reviews: 73
3.56/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Type: 16 oz can
Glass: Pint
From: Meijer
Price: around $10 a 4 pack

Appearance: deep red not quite clear but not opaque. huge foamy head that slowly recedes to a lacing on the sides

Smell- Hoppy, very hoppy, some caramelly malts and a touch of belgian yeast

Taste-the hops aren't as aggressive as in the nose but still there and strong. the belgian yeast is stronger than in the nose and caramel malts are the backbone. I would prefer the highlight to be the yeast rather than hops but that is my opinion.

Mouthfeel: a little bitter and sticky aftertaste but in a good way. pretty light in body with higher carbonation

Overall: pretty good beer. I like the cross over belgian-american beer. i would prefer the yeast to dominate but thats just me. Another good beer from Vivant which does little wrong to me. Glad I tried it but it might be a while before I revisit this one

4.09/5  rDev +6.8%

No canning date. $3.49 for a 16oz can. Poured into S.A. Perfect Pint Glass

Appearance: What the hell. I barely moved the can, but even then, I poured it into a glass and the whole pint glass filled with foam with maybe an ounce of beer. Because the head wouldn't go anywhere, I had to spoon out a bunch of foam. Big Red Coq is a beautiful, hazy red color with a light tan, creamy head, and great lacing. I give it a 3 for appearance though because I had to spoon the equivalent of three ounces of beer out of my glass. Looks great after that though.

Smell: It smells a touch Belgian, but it's not much. There are plenty of hops and malts to go around in the aroma. The hops are mostly grassy, and the malt gives a sweet note to make it even more inviting. Smells fantastic.

Taste/feel: Quite interesting. That slight, Belgian sourness is definitely there, but it's not too much. The hops aren't as "bursting" as I thought they'd be, judging by the taste. The malt flavor is of caramel and sweetness, and it works well. This is an odd beer, and I'm not sure how to describe it, but it's really good. This is sour, sweet, and a bit bitter. The aroma makes Big Red Coq smell like an IPA (I wish MINE did...), but the taste is distinctively Belgian. For some reason, it's difficult for me to pull out specific flavors in this beer. It's just interesting. It's like a red in that it has plenty of the malt and sweetness that you'd expect, IPA-esque in that it smells like one and has a pretty significant hop flavor, and then it tastes Belgian because of the yeast. As it warms up, the sourness becomes more prominent. The feel on this beer is middle of the road, with a pretty active-but-pleasant carbonation.

This is unlike any other beer I've had before... an amber with more hops than usual, and Belgian yeast. Extremely unhelpful review, but I CAN tell you that it's a very tasty beer that's worth picking up if you can.

16oz can poured into a tulip.

A: Pours an opaque reddish gold with a 1 finger off white head. Some visible carbonation in the body. Head sticks around for a minute or two leaving some lacing.

S: Lot going on with the smell here. There is belgian yeast flat out up front, but also a hopping on top of that and a solid almost sweet carmely malt backing.

T: Balanced comes to mind as I take my first sip. Has a smooth malty taste balanced by some yeast and hops. I'd say malt lingers more in the aftertaste

M: Full bodied with lots of carbonation. Has a nice clean finish, easy drinking.

Overall this is a beer I could enjoy on a regular basis. Has the Belgian drinkability with some amped up American malts and hops.

3.97/5  rDev +3.7%

On tap served in a tulip.

A- It had a deep, red-brown body that was pretty clean. Head retention was so-so. My first glass seemed to be better than the second. In the end both were a light film that left decent sticky spots on the glass.

S- Really interesting. Initially a lot of caramel and nutty aromas mixed with signature Belgian funk. Medicinal and spicy aromas really played a major role. Warmth amplified the medicinal and spice (black pepper), and brought out a honey-like scent.

T- Pretty true to the aroma. A real mix of traditional amber flavors and Belgian twists. Caramel and nutty malts. Really spicy features (hopping or yeast?). Further in the peppery flavors really took center stage, staying just the right side of overwhelming. Not as malt centric as many red/ambers.

M- Straight forward. Moderate carbonation and viscosity. Right in the middle of sweet/lingering and hoppy/drying.

O- A really interesting beer. I had two and could have put back a third. A nice twist on the traditional amber. A solid beer to be a staple on their menu.

3.55/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

Straight pour from a 16oz can to a short, stubby tulip glass; no canning or freshness date visible, but I picked this up direct at the brewery about three weeks ago, and kept refrigerated since. Oughta be reasonably fresh.

Appearance (3.0): Maybe two fingers of khaki-colored foam comes out of the pour, capping a rich, darkly reddish-amber body that’s perfectly clear—just a gorgeous body, frankly, but the head doesn’t stick around for all that long and the lacing is lacking. Just a few thick suds stick around on the near side of the glass, with no legs or collars to speak of.

Smell (3.5): Wet, leafy, grassy hops back by some light notes of lemon and yellow grapefruit float on top of some surprisingly restrained malt tones along the lines of lightly burnt multi-grain bread, burnt sugar, toffee, and nuts. Some very light, sweet citrus fruit hangs out behind all of this.

Taste (3.5): Grassy hops, again, lead the way, followed by a toffee-laden, toasted malt base with caramel undertones. A bitter wave of hops follows suit, with herbal and citric (grapefruit zest) notes that blur together with the toasted, almost burnt grain edge of the malt body. Some light pear, vanilla, and mildly medicinal notes betray an interplay between the Belgian yeast and the malt, but the yeast character is somewhat subdued—the mixture of grapefruit zest and burnt toast mask a lot of the rest of the palate. Still, it’s pretty tasty.

Mouthfeel (4.25): Big, soft, plush carbonation turns creamy and blends well with the body. Medium-weight and lightly syrupy, it starts off smooth and creamy, before finishing with a dry snap, trailing off with an unexpected levity.

Overall (3.5): Better than average, for the style, given balance of flavors in the malt base and the assertive-enough hop profile, but its Belgian character seems surprisingly underplayed. I was expecting something like a hoppy Rare Vos, but it comes off as more like a decent but not outstanding American Amber with a respectable but not particularly notable hop profile and subdued Belgian characteristics. Good, but not as notable as some of Brewery Vivant’s other offerings.

4.37/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours deep red, with hues of brown. And a good finger light tan head that has good retention.

Nose on this awesome tropical fruit notes dominate this one on the front end. Mainly mango with hints of pinapple and slight melon notes. Malt is sweet and very unique. If I never had whiskey rooster I would think it can't get any better then this.

Taste is great. More malt comes out in the taste. There is a slight mango like fruity note to start but then Gets slightly sweet and has a unique malty wood like notes and a clean finish.

Mouthfeel is good and has a nice light crisp crisp body and is very drinkable.

3.28/5  rDev -14.4%

there is a fluffy head that lasts with vigor, fades after a long while into lacing and a collar. Body is translucent pale amber.
Nose is balanced with cascade hop like notes and sweet sugar rolled strawberry.
The malts cover more of the hop flavors then on the aroma, but some citrus still cuts through. Summer fruits, caramel, noting some floral esters which are probably the biggest sign of the belgo yeast.
medium body.

4.07/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Not much to look at but has nice color. Smell is nice - good sweet bread/caramel malt compliment the greener hop notes. This is very easy to drink. Well balanced and light on the palette for a beer with so much malt forward character. Belgian yeast compliments it all with a little candi sweetness to it.

3.15/5  rDev -17.8%

A - Deep Copper orange / reddish. Nice creamy and foamy off white head. Mild head retention.

S - Hops, malts, sweet, floral, piney.

T - Hops present up front, followed by a lingering dry flavor. Lacks a finished touch.

O - I'm glad I gave this a shot, but I wouldn't really try it again. Nice hop profile, but not much balance and an astringent mouth feel.

Appearance: This brew pours out with a rich red hue and a fluffy and luxurious white head.

Nose: The nose throws off some mouthwatering hops pokes. Substantial florals and pings of grapefruit bounce off the bready malt frame.

Taste: The flavor is very pleasing. The hops shine through while belgian ale yeast adds a twist to the the traditional red ale characteristics. Mildly dry. Very enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: An oddly light medium body tries its best to support the bill here. It holds its own and makes this beer a snap to drink.

Drinkability: This is fit for a session. Very easy to appreciate.

3.29/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A friend loves it so I bought it. A decent beer but I won't seek it out. Nice looking reddish brown color. Smell is unremarkable. I can't detect anything distinct. Taste is fine - very slightly piney but vague. I can't put my finger on what it tastes like, which isn't to say it's bad but a bit ordinary. Light effervescent mouthfeel. I have been to Brewery Vivant and had great beer there. This is pretty middle of the road (and I won't say anything about the name).

4.36/5  rDev +13.8%

A. Golden red

S. grassy, crystal malts

T. I have had 3 different beers from Brewery Vivant. I have liked each one for its own qualities. Tonight I realized that they all share a common underling flavor. It's makes me wonder if they use the same base malts in each or is it simple their house yeast that I'm noticing in each. The taste is hoppy with a husky grainy flavor.

M. Drying, lightly carbonated, medium body

O. Perfect take on an American red with a Belgian influence.

Dark amber in appearance. Exceptionally unique flavor with just the right balance of bitterness and fruity (berry) undertones. Overall a very well crafted and unique offering.

3.59/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance- Pours a dark amber with a large, creamy head. Head lingers for a while, leaves good lacing.

Smell- Strong smell of Belgian yeasts with some citrus hops. A bit soapy as well.

Taste- Follows the smell, Belgian yeast with a bit of mango in the background along with some caramel malts. There is a musty sourness that takes away from the other flavors. Just a slight amount of bitterness.

Mouthfeel- Good mouthfeel and moderate carbonation.

Overall- For the style it was a pretty good beer but I personally wasn't a big fan of this beer. For those who like Belgians this would be a good one to try, otherwise it is probably not worth it.

4.05/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured from a can into a pint glass
A: Excellent red color with small head that holds a long time. Great lacing.
S: Saison zest with hop smell. Really balanced smell.
T: A little watery on the front that gives way to mild malt and some floral hop on the end.
M: Hops and some minor belgian zest.
O: A really balanced good beer. Tastes like a hoppy saison and I would bet that fresh this is absolutly amazing.

3.86/5  rDev +0.8%

Poured from a can

A - pours a clear bright orange with a finger and a half of eggshell white head.

S - slight belgian note. A touch of citusy hops. I don't know where its coming from, but I keep getting a big peanut/peanutbutter nose.

T - a lighter belgian profile throughout. Hops are slighty citusy throughout, shining a little more on the late palate. A very soft beer with a reserved bitterness. A firm malt backbone with a slightly bready profile.

M - medium bodied. Very soft on the palate.

D - medium to medium low for me.

Overall, I can't find much to hate, but I can't find a lot to make me love it. The appearance is fantastic, but as the name implies, I was expecting more of a mahagony color. I'm not sure where the nutty aroma I get is coming from, I'll have to see if it exists in the other cans.

3.95/5  rDev +3.1%

A - Dark red amber in color. Clear. 1 finger foamy white head that is slow to dissipate. Slight foaminess remains throughout the duration of drinking this beer. 4.5/5

S - Pineapple, mango and citrus hit me right off the bat. As the beer warms, a slight graininess and some sweetness make their way out as well. Earthy. 3.75/5

T - Definite tropical fruits here. Same as the nose. Lingering bitterness on the back end but not overwhelming. Grassy hops. A bit of resin. Definitely hop forward. Hint of toffee up front as the beer warms. Malt is somewhat muted. Earthy and leathery. 3.75/5

M - Very light, crisp, and dry. Very refreshing. Moderately carbonated. Clean feeling beer. Except for the lingering bitterness, I wouldn't know that I just had something in my mouth. 4/5

O - I thoroughly enjoyed this beer. Hops are powerful but balanced out by the earthiness of the malt. My favorite part was actually the appearance. Love seeing a beer that can hold it's head throughout the duration of drinking it. 3.75/5

2.98/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Huge, huge let down. Something might be wrong with this can

4.1/5  rDev +7%

Pours a beautiful copper brown,with an ever-so-slight haze. 2.5-inch, creamy, tan head forms and dissipates slowly to 1.5 inch. Distinctive hop and yeast nose. Suggestions of sour-dough bread. Most pleasant. Medium body. The palate is bright with lingering malt and bitter notes. Much Belgian lace. Dry. Great aperitif beer! This ale made me hungry. Highly moreish! A definite repurchase.

3.88/5  rDev +1.3%

Had on tap at a local Grand Rapids resturaunt. Nice redish brown color with great head and lacing. Not much going on for smell...notes of cherry and bread. Nice sweet taste of biscuit metalic hops. Nice and easy to drink. This is my first Brewery Vivant beer and I am quite pleased looking to go well with my fish tacos.

4.19/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

The best Brewery Vivant beer I've tried to date. Solid beer.

4.82/5  rDev +25.8%

This beer really floored me because it strikes me as being an American Amber with Belgian qualities. If not a perfect storm, then at least an exceptional one.

It looks like you'd expect a beer called red cog to. Nice white head but it looked just a little thin to me with the mahogany not really popping. Looked like your average amber with a fluffy Belgian head.

It smelled like a hoppy american amber with a hint of fruit.

But it tastes tremendous, to me. Feels great in the mouth... not as thing and not as hoppy as it smells. Goes down very, very smooth. You could drink a few of these and be very happy.

Had this on tap at Vivant. The waiter would not say "big red coq" when repeating our order - instead he called it "big red." :D

Aroma, color, and mouthfeel are pretty much what you'd expect for a Red. It's a reddish/brown color, and has a light to medium body/mouthfeel.

A solid session beer. No off characters, nothing bad about it. Tastes good, drinks easy. If you like the style, or are at Vivant and DON'T like any of the other offerings, you're not going to go wrong with this one.

4.72/5  rDev +23.2%

Awesome red ale, probably my favorite. I love the Belgian American blend. It is strong and full in flavor. It is not meant to be consumed all night, but great for a couple beers.

2.5/5  rDev -34.7%