Solitude - Brewery Vivant

Brewery Vivant visit their website

Dubbel |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: david131 on 05-11-2011

4.73/5  rDev +32.1%

I suddenly feel so alone, thanks to the great GrappyPunk. He sent this to me and upon Cracking it open, I donned my monk's robe, went into solitude and contacted Superman to see if I could join him in his Fortress for the duration. He flew right over and this review comes to you from Superman's Fortress of Solitude (which surprisingly has Internet access, rendering it not completely solitudinous). Thanks, Supes!

From the CAN: "WHY USE CANS? We set out to build a sustainable brewery and found through our research that cans are a better option than bottles. Cans are much lighter in weight, contain more recycled content, are able to be up-cycled, and use less energy to produce. The canning line also has a much smaller footprint than a bottling line."; "If this was not enough, cans provide better protection from flavor degenerating oxygen and hop flavor robbing sunlight. This is the best package we can provide to bring our beer to you, tasting the way the brewer intended it. Enjoy."; "Belgian tradition. Local mission."; "ABBEY STYLE ALE Monks have been brewing beer in Belgium for centuries. Their beers have been some of the most sought after in the world. Solitude is made in the tradition of the famous brewing monks of the Abbeys of Belgium. This beer is deep mahogany in color, malt forward with hints of caramel, pear & raisin. [In italics] - Rule 48 of St. Benedict: for then are they monks in truth, if they live by the work of their hands".; "COMPLIMENTARY FOODS Hearty stews, yeasty breads, Gruyere or Manchego cheese. Visit our website for more."; "GLASSWARE Chalice, or other wide mouth glass lets the maltiness come through."

When I was just a wee lad, purple was my favorite color. My parents bought me the "Harold and the Purple Crayon" books for me and even an early birthday cake had purple icing! I seem to have come full circle as a pseudo-fake monk, drinking an Abbey-style Ale that uses purple as its defining color. I have a bit (but not by much) more hair than the monk on the CAN and my beard is longer, plus I refuse to commit sacrilege by wearing a cross as an avowed Buddhist, but this beer seems to speak to me.

Speaking of your beer "speaking" to you, when was the last time any of you listened to what your beer had to say? This is the majesty of the Crack & Glug from a CAN - the auditory nature of such an event. It is Zen-like at times and CAN only happen with CANned beers.

The Crack & Glug in this instance was heavenly, producing two rocky fingers of deep-tan head with moderate retention. The inherent carbonation allowed the head to lead a rich, full life before moving on into the atmosphere. The color was more truth in advertising, although I might have said "garnet" or "ruby" as opposed to "mahogany", but the NE-quality clarity rendered it one to drop me to my knees in prayer for more such beautifully rendered beers. It was like a liquid Illuminated Manuscript. The nose was, indeed, malty, but with an earthen quality, like tobacco. The mouthfeel was full, rich and creamy with a slightly astringent sweetness, like a combination of tobacco and anise, on the tongue. I began to hear harps and trumpets in mine ears! I have to say that as it warmed, the earthy qualities really began to come out and I was reminded of a few earthy women in my life who would have really dug this sort of thing. They are the ones who are not hung up on body hair, shower or bathe only occasionally, belch and fart with the best of men and appeal to a certain segment of the male culture. I partook of them routinely until I donned the cloth and now I partake of them regularly as nothing seems to get them off like debauching a Brother. Finish was semi-sweet and I get where they are coming from with raisin and caramel but pear simply continues to elude me. I really liked this beer and would put it in my cooler any time of year, but especially if I were headed to a nude beach avec les maitresses du moine (with the monk's mistresses). (3,983 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +25.7%

This is a very good brew. As this beer is from the nearby metropolis of Grand Rapids, MI I had to give it a try. I tasted lots of malty sweetness and raisins. Neither of these flavors was overbearing and there is a good balance among all the different elements. Head was foamy and quickly dissipated, leaving behind some decent lacing on the glass. I will definitely be purchasing this again. (392 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +23.5%

$2.69 for a 16oz can at BevCo. 6.0% ABV, no other stats available on the rather cool looking can or the website. heck ya to 16oz cans, BTW.

Pours out to a clear dark walnut, forming a limpish light tan head with poor retention and decent lacing. moderate carbonation. The aroma is nice...what I hope for in a dubble...browning bananas and nuts...I think the best Dubbels taste and smell like banana bread. In this one, there is a little bit more burnt rubber, which is OK with me. Mouthfeel is bright, clean, with a thin side of medium body. The taste is quite good, like the nose...there is browning bananas and roasted chestnuts, some burnt rubber phenols with a touch of cola going on in it, with a very nicely balanced mild bitterness lingering into the finish. No perceptible off flavors. Interesting hint of smoked cardamon and nutmeg in the aftertaste.

Color me impressed...Dubbels are one of my very favorite styles and after reading some of the reviews on this website, I was a little skeptical so I didn't buy a 4-pack. I will gladly go back and get a few 4-packs. My only critique would be that the body is a little thin...perhaps if they adjusted their mash temp up a few degrees they could improve that. (1,218 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +22.9%

"Belgian beer in a can!?" exclaimed my local bottle shop owner. It's true! This 16 ounce can was purchased at Shop-N-Save in Ludington, MI and poured into a large wine goblet. There is no freshness date on the can. A horizontal pour manifests a foamy finger of khaki tinted head. Head retention is moderate to low, but there is a nice thick ring of fluffy lacing that forms around the rim of the glass. Active carbonation is visible through the glass, continually renewing the lacing. The brew is an extremely deep amber hue, yet maintains a good amount of translucence. It is very pretty.

The scent is giving off all kinds of rich candy aromas such as toffee, caramel and chocolate, not to mention the authentic smelling candy sugar-fueled alcohol. Traces of raisin and a little funk round out the scent load. It's an overload on the nose.

Brewery Vivant got a lot right with the flavor of this "Abbey-Style" ale. The initial taste to strike the tongue is earthy, woody smoke. Not far behind is the taste of caramelized sugar. A touch of green apple is nice. It finishes surprisingly clean with a touch of smoke in the nose. Though the brew is a little smoke-forward, this remains a pretty well balanced pint. That's no small feat considering the amount of flavor they packed in.

The body is surprisingly light, but the carbonation is fairly low, so Solitude ends up with a nice smooth feel. I'm actually impressed that a beer this rich in flavor can be so light in the mouth. I tend to not enjoy heavy beer as much in the summer months, and this is really tickling me in all the right places on a late-June afternoon. (I'm getting tired of drinking wheat beers!)

This beer has been a really positive experience for me. It tastes rich, but feels light. The 6% ABV is virtually hidden on the tongue. At $2.50 a pint, it's not exactly a bargain, but then again, imported Trappist ales would have cost me at least twice as much; so I have nothing to complain about. Plus this was brewed and bottled about a hundred miles from my home, so I can be pretty certain that this is fresher than any authentic Belgian brew that I could find at the bottle shop. I will certainly be buying more of this.

---

The Two-Schlitz scale: (reference my profile for an explanation)
I'd heartily hand over two Schlitz Tallboys for a canned pint of Solitude. I'd call that a bargain. (2,366 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +20.1%

Aroma: Moderate fruity esters- dark plum, cherry, fig. Mild biscuit malt base. Light alcohol warmth tickles the nose.

Appearance: Slightly hazy brick red pour with a low tan head. Head retention is good. Appears still in the glass.

Flavor: Moderate fruity esters persist with cherry and dark plum in the forefront. Slight peppery notes yield to a mild dark bread maltiness that is all well-knit. Balance is nearly even with a nod to the malty and estery fruit notes. Some earthy hop bitterness provides a pleasant counterpoint. Finish is clean and dry.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, medium-high carbonation with slight warming alcohol noted on the palate.

Overall impression: A beautiful crafted and delicate dubble. A little lighter for the style but immensely refreshing and drinkable. Wish this were available to me in Ohio. (829 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Solitude pours out a brown color with a massive head (even with a slow pour). The aroma is sweet, malty, and slightly sour with some dark fruits. The taste is very good, offering a bit of sugary (yet dark fruit based) sweetness over a slightly tart base. Yeast imparts just a bit of spiciness. Very well composed and tasty. The mouthfeel is medium-bodied and gently carbonated, and the drinkability is good. Overall, one of the most enjoyable Belgian-style beers I've had from the States. It stays away from the pitfalls of either too much spicy yeast flavors, or too much Candi sugar that too many American brewers of Belgian styles fall into. (644 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +18.2%

Pours dark brown near black with a thin light tan head that has decent retention.

Smell has notes of dark fruits, dark cherry mainly, prunes and tart cranberries. Almost an oak like yeast melds with a bready Malt which smells rich and slightly sweet.

Taste is great. Malt is forward and has a rich caramel light sweetness. Yeasty esters are next and mainly consist of raisins and some tart dark cherries. Lee ally nicely balanced, the yeast is the main showcase of this brew and give some really nice fruity flavors.

Mouthfeel is good. Medium body and a tart sweetness gives this a nice sticky feel. (604 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +16.5%

I picked up a bottle of Brewery Vivant's Solitude a couple weeks ago for $2.50 at The Lager Mill. Ever since I heard of this brewery I have wanted to give them a try but since they never came to any of the local beer festivals I had to wait till they started distributing around here. There were three different beers available from them and I thought I would start off with their Abbey Ale and see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a 16oz can into a Chalice.

A- I really like the look of this can, it is pretty eye catching and the picture of the monk on the front is very well done, I like it a lot. I also like how it tells you the proper glassware, food pairings, and a little history about the beer. Craft beer with QR code, now that's different. It poured a pretty deep and dark amber color that had some nice ruby highlights. It had two fingers worth of off white head that quickly died down to a thin ring with thin lump in the middle.

S- The aroma is pretty simple and straightforward. It starts off with a pretty malty aroma that smells like it has a medium light amount of roast to it. After that comes the Belgian yeast which adds those signature spices to this beer with cloves sticking out the most. At the end I pick up some brown and candied sugar along with a slight amount of dark fruits. I didn't really pick up any hops in the aroma. The yeast seems to stick out the most.

T- The aroma does a good job of letting you know what you are getting into with the taste of this beer. It starts off heavy on the malts which aren't nearly as sweet as they were in the aroma and they still have that nice medium amount of roast to them that I enjoy. I get a slight glimpse of the dark fruits, mainly raisins, but they are quickly overpowered by large amounts of Belgian yeast that imparts all those signature spice with cloves sticking out the most but there is also some nutmeg lingering in the back. The combination of Belgian yeast and roasted malts makes for a nice flavor.

M- Smooth and on the light side of being medium bodied, it's a little thinner then I would prefer but that helps the drinkability and matches the medium carbonation.

Overall I thought this was pretty good beer. This is my first BDA, I usually go for the BSDA's but I really like how this is a little lighter and more drinkable version that still has a lot of flavor and makes for a good beer to drink on a cool summer night. I thought this beer was highly drinkable, it was flavorful, easy to drink, and the body was lighter. If I had another one I would drink it, a four pack would be great to take to a bonfire, lots of good flavor, but it won't fill you up. What I liked most about this beer was the flavor, the combination of mildly roasted malts and Belgian yeast was really nice and it kept me coming back for more. What I liked least about this beer was the appearance, the color was nice, but it lacked having a nice head, which most Belgians usually do. I will for sure be buying this again and I would recommend this to pretty much anyone, you got love a well done Belgian style beer in a can, it's just so wrong it's right. I really like the fact this comes in pint cans, makes itls easy to take outdoors with me, and you just don't see Belgians in cans, there is enough traditional Belgians in oddly shaped small bottles, bring on the pint cans. This made for both a good first impression of this brewery and of the Belgian Dark Ale style. I really liked this beer and I can't wait to try some of the other offerings from this brewery and more of this style. Good first impression for Brewery Vivant, you can bet I will be back for more. (3,660 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Appearance: Clear dark amber, with an average sized light brown head. Surprisingly clear for a dark .

Aroma & Taste: A very interesting beer. Contains chocolate and nutty notes mixed with dark fruits. The way the chocolate and nutty flavors mashed with the raisin and plum flavors was quite delightful. (303 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Fresh purple raisins soaked in white grape juice. The beer pours a nice deep garnet/brown with a slightly cloudy haze (swirl the last two ounces and pour into the glass to accentuate the yeast character). The beer is a lean easy drinker with a great saison-like lemon and ester character that is amped up by a healthy dose of dark fruit notes from either special-b malt or dark candi sugar. Really enjoying this one. I tend to think of it as a fall version of a saison. (469 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +12.6%

Nice murky copper/ruby body with a milky off-white head that sticks to every piece of the glass... spectacular lacing ta boot.

Nutmeg, caramel, inviting malty goodness... a touch of vanilla, very smooth stuff.

Great traditional Abbey type flavors... root beer, figs and dates, light fruity sweetness, a touch of sourness which is a bit distracting but inventive at the same time. Interesting stuff. Pretty damn good.

Big thanks to shamrock for hooking it up! (462 characters)

I had this as part of a sampler. It came in a miniature 5 oz tulip glass. There was no head when the beer arrived at my table.

It appears dark, plum like in color.

The aroma is of plum or raisin, malt, and unspecified sweetness.

The taste is of dark fruit up front, with a pronounced smokiness in the back. It almost tastes like they used smoked malt, although according to the website they do not. However, the smokiness adds an interesting complexity to the beer, without overwhelming the tastebuds.

Good mouthfeel, very smooth and easy to drink.

Overall, a really good, interesting take on a Belgian Dark, and less alcoholic than many of the same style. (661 characters)

16 ounce can into tulip glass, no canning date. Pours moderately hazy deep ruby red color with a 2 finger fairly dense light khaki head with great retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Spotty foamy lacing clings on the glass. Aromas of big cherry, raisin, prune, pear, caramel, candi sugar, pepper, clove, toast, light chocolate, herbal, brown sugar, and yeast earthiness. Very nice aromas with good balance and complexity of fruity/spicy yeast and malt notes; with good strength. Taste of cherry, raisin, prune, pear, caramel, toast, pepper, clove, candi sugar, light chocolate, molasses, herbal, and yeast earthiness. Lingering notes of dark fruits, caramel, toast, clove, pepper, light chocolate, candi sugar, molasses, herbal, and yeast earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Very nice balance and complexity of fruity/spicy yeast and dark malt flavors; with a good malt/spiciness balance and zero cloying sweetness after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a smooth, lightly slick, and slightly syrupy mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with minimal warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a damn nice Belgian dark ale! All around good balance, complexity, and robustness of fruity/spicy yeast and malt flavors; and very smooth to drink. A very enjoyable offering. (1,323 characters)

Pour - a dark chestnut color in appearance with some ruby red highlights. The head on this is almost two inches thick and fades to a thin ring around the glass. Mysterious and enticing.

Aroma - cherries and baked apples along with honey and burnt sugar. Lots of what they tend to refer to as "stewed fruits" and definitely raising and prunes. Condensed fruit basically. I quite like the aroma as it spells out complexity when it comes to taste.

Taste - sweet and juicy and light on the tongue. Lots of those burnt sugar and dark fruit flavors, definitely the cherries and the raisins. Lots of flavors to digest both metaphorically and physically. Not overly sweet with some very nice malty undertones and semi-dry finish.

Overall - personally, I really enjoyed this beer (and yes I have been to Belgium, twice). I loved the dark fruit flavors and the complexity of a beer that doesn't feel overly heavy on the palate. It wasn't cloyingly sweet and it was certainly something new out of a can for me. It tasted very fresh and was surprisingly thirst quenching.

Would I buy more of it? - absolutely. I need to get out to Brewery Vivant some day and try the rest of their beers on tap. A big "cheers" goes out to Another6Pack for this and other midwestern canned craft goodness! (1,283 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +11.2%

There is a monk on the can. No, seriously, I'm not shitting you. There really is a monk on the can. He is admiring God. Okay, now I'm shitting you. He's actually admiring a beer, presumably the one that's in the can I'm about to drink, which makes him an extra cool monk.
Oh, and the can has purple on it. Really!

A: Beer is a beautiful shade of ruby-tinted mahogany brown. Forms a good two inches of bubbly, tan colored head. The large head reduces slowly to just about nothing, just a slight patch of thin surface coating. Despite the size of the head, there is not a speck of lacing on the glass.

S: Aroma is not strong which is unfortunate, because this is a pretty good smelling beer. Boston brown bread, a little brown sugar, some raisin and a little spice. Could've been really nice if was more pronounced.

T: Taste is much like the smell. Good, but just sort of falls flat. Darker, fruity malts, brown sugar, and plum. Raisin, but to a lesser extent. Mildly sweet. Flavor falls off quickly.

M: Medium in body, but seems a bit thin. (I'm Beginning to see a theme with this beer). Appropriate carbonation. Extremely mild bitterness.

O: A good beer and one that is very drinkable. However, it just seems a little weak in all categories. I'm not looking for this beer to be a monster, but I also shouldn't have to search for the aroma and just as the flavor presents itself, it just falls off a cliff. With that, I did enjoy it quite a bit and I'd definitely have another. (1,485 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +10.1%

Got this on tap at Hopcat in East Lansing. Served in a tulip.

A: pours a deep hazy, cranberry brown color with a short ta head with small splotches of lace.

S: Smells of cherries, wheat, yeast, malts, sugars, hops

T: Sweet, mellow flavor, a bit dry. tastes of yeast, wheat, grains, cherries, malts, sugars, yeast followed through with a slightly bitter hop fiish.

M: Medium bodied beer with good amounts of carbonation, has a slight hop after taste.

O: Overall, this was an excellent local dubbel. It was not revolutionary or anything but it hit the spot. (563 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +9.8%

A: Dark brown with a ruby tinge (mahogany), almost no carbonation, filtered and semi-opaque, huge beige head fades relatively fast to a finger.

S: Belgian yeasts, raisins, cherries, dark fruits, prunes, light smokiness, sweet and earthy.

T: Cherries, Belgian yeasts, raisins, dark fruits, earthy, much like a dubbel. Reminds me of Leffe’s Vielle Cuvee.

M: Medium somewhat weighty body, but smooth and clean finish, medium carbonation.

O: Very balanced, very well crafted beer. Got at Oppermans in Saginaw, drank June 2nd, 2014 in Uxbridge. Very well crafted beer (568 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On tap at the Brewery Vivant tap room on March 24, 2014.

A: Body is a deep reddish-brown color, small tan head with spotty lace.

S: Malty, yeast, cherries, candi sugars.

T: Sweet flavor, a bit dry. Malty with tastes of yeast, wheat, grains, malts, sugars. Slightly bitter finish from the hops.

M: Medium body with lots of carbonation. Slightly hoppy aftertaste.

O: So proud to see a brewery in GR making Belgian style beers, and doing it well. This is another great beer from Brewery Vivant. Not the best dubbel you can get in the US, but for a truly local brewery, this is pretty damn good. (598 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +7%

Solitude is an attractive cherry stained copper color. It’s mostly clear and has really nice crimson highlights when held to light. A light tan head rises to about a finger in height before falling quickly. Lacing was definitely light and spotty. Pretty good looking stuff.

The nose is lacking in strength. It’s not bad, but needs muscle. It’s malty and a little roasty up front. Not bad. There’s an herbal or earthy scent that’s interesting. It’s a bit like leather or tobacco. There are some secondary notes of dark fruit and nuts. Those aren’t particularly strong, but they do add some depth. Yeast is there, but doesn’t smell as strong as it should. It might be a little Belgian in character, but it’s tough to tell. Alcohol is masked very well and doesn’t come through much at all.

The flavor is easily a notch above the nose. The malt base is a little roasty and has a distinct cocoa flavor. Might even be a bit toasty. It’s definitely earthy and herbal. Light tobacco is definitely in the house. It also has a really nice praline or nutty flavor. Raisin and plum are there, but are light in the mix. They add nice depth and work well. Belgian yeast is more notable here, but I wouldn’t mind a little more. Having said that, its presence drives the flavor score up a notch. No doubt about it. Alcohol is masked extremely well and isn’t noticeable.

Solitude has a body that’s on the lighter side of medium. Carbonation is light and restrained. It has a pretty good feel, but a little more body would help. It’s easy drinking stuff though. Love the 16 oz. can. Perfect serving size.

Brewery Vivant did a pretty nice job with Solitude. It’s a pretty solid release all-around. It could be improved with a stronger nose and more of a Belgian yeast presence, but it’s pretty good as it is. For a recent upstart, Brewery Vivant is showing some promise. Keep it up, guys! (1,909 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +7%

dark brown color with this tin wispy head of off white that capped the top only for a slight time offering little in the way of side lacing. aroma of roasted malts, light smoke, and hints of chocolate, nice and warming, but lacked the punch i was looking for. flavor was more of the same, not bad at all, had all the right markers there with light peat, lots of chocolate, deep roasted profile, just too light for me to be honest. thin feel (440 characters)

Single from Butler's Pantry, Saugatuck, MI

Pours a cola color with creamy, frothy head. Aromas of prune and toffee.

Tastes a bit like it smells. Dark fruits and burnt sugar providing some sweetness. Higher level of carbonation than I was expecting for the style. Creamy upfront with a dry finish.

I enjoyed it well enough. It made me think Dubbel "light". (358 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +6.7%

poured into a snifter, this gem pours dark garnet with burnt umber highlights. frothy, bubbling finger-thick head has good retention but leaves minimal lace.

aroma is toasty. burnt rye bread, whole wheat bread and a touch of fig. earth, white pepper, and a touch of raisin. a hint of cocoa and carob. earthy and interesting.

malt, roasty cocoa, and pumpernickel bagels up front. some dark fruit peeks through - plum and some caramelized fig. a clean earthiness and some herbal hops help balance it out. alcohol is barely present - if at all. not as rich or fruity as I prefer from my belgian darks, but this one is definitely interesting.

mouth is creamy. ample fine carbonation helps inflate the somewhat thin and light body to something solid. wish is was a touch thicker... it might help the flavors a bit.

all in all, this is an interesting and impressive brew. it took me a while to warm up to the characteristics of this garnet hued gem, but once I did, wow. Impressive, interesting, and different. definitely wouldn't turn down another. (1,047 characters)

3.81/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

16oz can bought for $2.79. When I got home, I noticed the top of the can was extremely dusty, so this may've been sitting awhile. No canning date. Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint.

Appearance: A deep, clear mahogany color with a pretty huge, rocky, creamy and tan head... pour slowly. I went to finish pouring my can into my glass, and the head quickly spilled... whoops. Lacing's quite nice.

Smell: Like musky grape juice, or something along those lines. Quite a lot of apple as well. Not much else to speak of. I assume I get this aroma from the yeast, as this smells quite a lot like Triomphe, to me. Not at all what I was expecting from this beer... where are the super dark fruit and roasty sort of notes?

Taste: A surprising little bit of alcohol is the first thing I taste when sipping this beer. After that, dark fruits cut through with quite a bit of malt -- crystal, and then some roastier varieties. There's also a note of pear that I get, but that may just because I read the label saying it's what I should expect. Not bitter, slightly sweet, easy to drink.

Not a bad beer, but not what I was expecting. Being Belgian, I was expecting a funk. A tartness. Some sort of weird twist -- I didn't really get that. Solitude is definitely a solid beer, but not my favorite from Vivant. I'm not sure how long this can was sitting, since there's no canning date, but that may explain why I don't get many of those Belgian characteristics in this beer. I recommend it. (1,479 characters)

3.78/5  rDev +5.6%

tallboy can poured into a goblet.

Appearance: dark brown to a light black bodied beer; reddish hue when held up to light. Very large head 3 fingers of biege colored head.

Smell: mildly malty and sweet. dark fruits and yeast. Thin lacing on the side of the glass.

Taste: starts with a mild caramel malt and some mild dark fruits. Little bit of yeast; more dark fruits and a white grape note in the finish. Just a hint of bitterness at the end from the hops that dries out the finish of the beer. Could use a little bit more robust flavors, but it has some complexity.

Mouthfeel: light end of a medium bodied beer and moderate carbonation. I give this beer a generous score because its really drinkable. Clean, crisp, and even refreshing. Semidry finish.

Overall: This beer is a good candidate for when you want a beer on a hot day, but your not in the mood for a hoppy beer. Its meant to be a session ale no doubt. (920 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +4.7%

A= Pours a nice walnut colored brown with some ruby colored red in there also, Thin Tan head that disappears rather quickly but leaves some spotty lacing.

S= I thought the nose of this beer was really good picked up on some raisins and spice in the backbone of this beer The beer was kind of smelled like bread up front.

T= Taste up front you get that bread taste and at the back of this beer is the raisins, spice and a touch of brown sugar.

M= Medium bodied, Good carbonation.

O= Overall, This beer from Brewery Vivant is a lot better than some of the other beers that I've had from them I would say this is one of there top ones worth a try if you come across it. (670 characters)

Solitude from Brewery Vivant