Solitude - Brewery Vivant

good

Brewery Vivant visit their website

Dubbel |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: david131 on 05-11-2011

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 191 | Reviews: 60

4.75/5  rDev +31.2%

4.75/5  rDev +31.2%

4.73/5  rDev +30.7%

I suddenly feel so alone, thanks to the great GrappyPunk. He sent this to me and upon Cracking it open, I donned my monk's robe, went into solitude and contacted Superman to see if I could join him in his Fortress for the duration. He flew right over and this review comes to you from Superman's Fortress of Solitude (which surprisingly has Internet access, rendering it not completely solitudinous). Thanks, Supes!

From the CAN: "WHY USE CANS? We set out to build a sustainable brewery and found through our research that cans are a better option than bottles. Cans are much lighter in weight, contain more recycled content, are able to be up-cycled, and use less energy to produce. The canning line also has a much smaller footprint than a bottling line."; "If this was not enough, cans provide better protection from flavor degenerating oxygen and hop flavor robbing sunlight. This is the best package we can provide to bring our beer to you, tasting the way the brewer intended it. Enjoy."; "Belgian tradition. Local mission."; "ABBEY STYLE ALE Monks have been brewing beer in Belgium for centuries. Their beers have been some of the most sought after in the world. Solitude is made in the tradition of the famous brewing monks of the Abbeys of Belgium. This beer is deep mahogany in color, malt forward with hints of caramel, pear & raisin. [In italics] - Rule 48 of St. Benedict: for then are they monks in truth, if they live by the work of their hands".; "COMPLIMENTARY FOODS Hearty stews, yeasty breads, Gruyere or Manchego cheese. Visit our website for more."; "GLASSWARE Chalice, or other wide mouth glass lets the maltiness come through."

When I was just a wee lad, purple was my favorite color. My parents bought me the "Harold and the Purple Crayon" books for me and even an early birthday cake had purple icing! I seem to have come full circle as a pseudo-fake monk, drinking an Abbey-style Ale that uses purple as its defining color. I have a bit (but not by much) more hair than the monk on the CAN and my beard is longer, plus I refuse to commit sacrilege by wearing a cross as an avowed Buddhist, but this beer seems to speak to me.

Speaking of your beer "speaking" to you, when was the last time any of you listened to what your beer had to say? This is the majesty of the Crack & Glug from a CAN - the auditory nature of such an event. It is Zen-like at times and CAN only happen with CANned beers.

The Crack & Glug in this instance was heavenly, producing two rocky fingers of deep-tan head with moderate retention. The inherent carbonation allowed the head to lead a rich, full life before moving on into the atmosphere. The color was more truth in advertising, although I might have said "garnet" or "ruby" as opposed to "mahogany", but the NE-quality clarity rendered it one to drop me to my knees in prayer for more such beautifully rendered beers. It was like a liquid Illuminated Manuscript. The nose was, indeed, malty, but with an earthen quality, like tobacco. The mouthfeel was full, rich and creamy with a slightly astringent sweetness, like a combination of tobacco and anise, on the tongue. I began to hear harps and trumpets in mine ears! I have to say that as it warmed, the earthy qualities really began to come out and I was reminded of a few earthy women in my life who would have really dug this sort of thing. They are the ones who are not hung up on body hair, shower or bathe only occasionally, belch and fart with the best of men and appeal to a certain segment of the male culture. I partook of them routinely until I donned the cloth and now I partake of them regularly as nothing seems to get them off like debauching a Brother. Finish was semi-sweet and I get where they are coming from with raisin and caramel but pear simply continues to elude me. I really liked this beer and would put it in my cooler any time of year, but especially if I were headed to a nude beach avec les maitresses du moine (with the monk's mistresses).

4.5/5  rDev +24.3%

This is a very good brew. As this beer is from the nearby metropolis of Grand Rapids, MI I had to give it a try. I tasted lots of malty sweetness and raisins. Neither of these flavors was overbearing and there is a good balance among all the different elements. Head was foamy and quickly dissipated, leaving behind some decent lacing on the glass. I will definitely be purchasing this again.

4.42/5  rDev +22.1%

$2.69 for a 16oz can at BevCo. 6.0% ABV, no other stats available on the rather cool looking can or the website. heck ya to 16oz cans, BTW.

Pours out to a clear dark walnut, forming a limpish light tan head with poor retention and decent lacing. moderate carbonation. The aroma is nice...what I hope for in a dubble...browning bananas and nuts...I think the best Dubbels taste and smell like banana bread. In this one, there is a little bit more burnt rubber, which is OK with me. Mouthfeel is bright, clean, with a thin side of medium body. The taste is quite good, like the nose...there is browning bananas and roasted chestnuts, some burnt rubber phenols with a touch of cola going on in it, with a very nicely balanced mild bitterness lingering into the finish. No perceptible off flavors. Interesting hint of smoked cardamon and nutmeg in the aftertaste.

Color me impressed...Dubbels are one of my very favorite styles and after reading some of the reviews on this website, I was a little skeptical so I didn't buy a 4-pack. I will gladly go back and get a few 4-packs. My only critique would be that the body is a little thin...perhaps if they adjusted their mash temp up a few degrees they could improve that.

4.4/5  rDev +21.5%

"Belgian beer in a can!?" exclaimed my local bottle shop owner. It's true! This 16 ounce can was purchased at Shop-N-Save in Ludington, MI and poured into a large wine goblet. There is no freshness date on the can. A horizontal pour manifests a foamy finger of khaki tinted head. Head retention is moderate to low, but there is a nice thick ring of fluffy lacing that forms around the rim of the glass. Active carbonation is visible through the glass, continually renewing the lacing. The brew is an extremely deep amber hue, yet maintains a good amount of translucence. It is very pretty.

The scent is giving off all kinds of rich candy aromas such as toffee, caramel and chocolate, not to mention the authentic smelling candy sugar-fueled alcohol. Traces of raisin and a little funk round out the scent load. It's an overload on the nose.

Brewery Vivant got a lot right with the flavor of this "Abbey-Style" ale. The initial taste to strike the tongue is earthy, woody smoke. Not far behind is the taste of caramelized sugar. A touch of green apple is nice. It finishes surprisingly clean with a touch of smoke in the nose. Though the brew is a little smoke-forward, this remains a pretty well balanced pint. That's no small feat considering the amount of flavor they packed in.

The body is surprisingly light, but the carbonation is fairly low, so Solitude ends up with a nice smooth feel. I'm actually impressed that a beer this rich in flavor can be so light in the mouth. I tend to not enjoy heavy beer as much in the summer months, and this is really tickling me in all the right places on a late-June afternoon. (I'm getting tired of drinking wheat beers!)

This beer has been a really positive experience for me. It tastes rich, but feels light. The 6% ABV is virtually hidden on the tongue. At $2.50 a pint, it's not exactly a bargain, but then again, imported Trappist ales would have cost me at least twice as much; so I have nothing to complain about. Plus this was brewed and bottled about a hundred miles from my home, so I can be pretty certain that this is fresher than any authentic Belgian brew that I could find at the bottle shop. I will certainly be buying more of this.

---

The Two-Schlitz scale: (reference my profile for an explanation)
I'd heartily hand over two Schlitz Tallboys for a canned pint of Solitude. I'd call that a bargain.

4.36/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Only good things to report. Drink and enjoy.

4.3/5  rDev +18.8%

Aroma: Moderate fruity esters- dark plum, cherry, fig. Mild biscuit malt base. Light alcohol warmth tickles the nose.

Appearance: Slightly hazy brick red pour with a low tan head. Head retention is good. Appears still in the glass.

Flavor: Moderate fruity esters persist with cherry and dark plum in the forefront. Slight peppery notes yield to a mild dark bread maltiness that is all well-knit. Balance is nearly even with a nod to the malty and estery fruit notes. Some earthy hop bitterness provides a pleasant counterpoint. Finish is clean and dry.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, medium-high carbonation with slight warming alcohol noted on the palate.

Overall impression: A beautiful crafted and delicate dubble. A little lighter for the style but immensely refreshing and drinkable. Wish this were available to me in Ohio.

4.25/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Solitude pours out a brown color with a massive head (even with a slow pour). The aroma is sweet, malty, and slightly sour with some dark fruits. The taste is very good, offering a bit of sugary (yet dark fruit based) sweetness over a slightly tart base. Yeast imparts just a bit of spiciness. Very well composed and tasty. The mouthfeel is medium-bodied and gently carbonated, and the drinkability is good. Overall, one of the most enjoyable Belgian-style beers I've had from the States. It stays away from the pitfalls of either too much spicy yeast flavors, or too much Candi sugar that too many American brewers of Belgian styles fall into.

4.24/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.23/5  rDev +16.9%

Pours dark brown near black with a thin light tan head that has decent retention.

Smell has notes of dark fruits, dark cherry mainly, prunes and tart cranberries. Almost an oak like yeast melds with a bready Malt which smells rich and slightly sweet.

Taste is great. Malt is forward and has a rich caramel light sweetness. Yeasty esters are next and mainly consist of raisins and some tart dark cherries. Lee ally nicely balanced, the yeast is the main showcase of this brew and give some really nice fruity flavors.

Mouthfeel is good. Medium body and a tart sweetness gives this a nice sticky feel.

4.2/5  rDev +16%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Solitude from Brewery Vivant