Solitude - Brewery Vivant

SolitudeSolitude

good

Brewery Vivant visit their website

Dubbel |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: david131 on 05-11-2011)
2.58/5  rDev -28.1%

Pouring this into a snifter yielded a finger of sand colored head. The body is a dark cola color with hints of deep dark ruby. No lace.

It smells of grape juice gone over, with hints of prune and other dark fruits. Also, funk.

The taste is interesting. I get expired grapejuice, sour apples, a hint of caramel and an earthy, woody note near the end. There is an unpleasant funky something at the end.

Mouthfeel is light bodied. I think this is over carbonated, with a bite at the end that accompanies the unpleasant taste.

I rarely drainpour beer, but this one is getting that treatment.

CFHMagnet, Jun 29, 2013

Thirstygoat, Jun 29, 2013
4.14/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Fresh purple raisins soaked in white grape juice. The beer pours a nice deep garnet/brown with a slightly cloudy haze (swirl the last two ounces and pour into the glass to accentuate the yeast character). The beer is a lean easy drinker with a great saison-like lemon and ester character that is amped up by a healthy dose of dark fruit notes from either special-b malt or dark candi sugar. Really enjoying this one. I tend to think of it as a fall version of a saison.

knepper, Jun 21, 2013

MJensen, Jun 06, 2013

Rihup, Jun 04, 2013

Tracker83, Jun 02, 2013
3.8/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

16oz can bought for $2.79. When I got home, I noticed the top of the can was extremely dusty, so this may've been sitting awhile. No canning date. Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint.

Appearance: A deep, clear mahogany color with a pretty huge, rocky, creamy and tan head... pour slowly. I went to finish pouring my can into my glass, and the head quickly spilled... whoops. Lacing's quite nice.

Smell: Like musky grape juice, or something along those lines. Quite a lot of apple as well. Not much else to speak of. I assume I get this aroma from the yeast, as this smells quite a lot like Triomphe, to me. Not at all what I was expecting from this beer... where are the super dark fruit and roasty sort of notes?

Taste: A surprising little bit of alcohol is the first thing I taste when sipping this beer. After that, dark fruits cut through with quite a bit of malt -- crystal, and then some roastier varieties. There's also a note of pear that I get, but that may just because I read the label saying it's what I should expect. Not bitter, slightly sweet, easy to drink.

Not a bad beer, but not what I was expecting. Being Belgian, I was expecting a funk. A tartness. Some sort of weird twist -- I didn't really get that. Solitude is definitely a solid beer, but not my favorite from Vivant. I'm not sure how long this can was sitting, since there's no canning date, but that may explain why I don't get many of those Belgian characteristics in this beer. I recommend it.

Alextricity, May 27, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -9.5%

fredmugs, May 17, 2013
3.75/5  rDev +4.5%

HarmonMW, May 12, 2013

Buckeye982, May 11, 2013

beerhawk41, Apr 29, 2013
4.16/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Appearance: Clear dark amber, with an average sized light brown head. Surprisingly clear for a dark .

Aroma & Taste: A very interesting beer. Contains chocolate and nutty notes mixed with dark fruits. The way the chocolate and nutty flavors mashed with the raisin and plum flavors was quite delightful.

Thaddeus, Apr 26, 2013
1.96/5  rDev -45.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

After tasting the Solitude from Brewery Vivant, I realized it did not fit my specific flavor profile or taste bud selection. The beer had a great dark color that resembled a coco or chocolate brown. The smell to me was very unpleasant and almost musty. The flavor was also musty and in my opinion sour. I think that many darker beer drinkers would appreciate this beer for it's full-bodied dark flavor but it unfortunately did not fit my specific pallet.

finstadp, Apr 24, 2013

Kerrie, Apr 22, 2013

RadfordBrewing, Apr 11, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Solitude pours out a brown color with a massive head (even with a slow pour). The aroma is sweet, malty, and slightly sour with some dark fruits. The taste is very good, offering a bit of sugary (yet dark fruit based) sweetness over a slightly tart base. Yeast imparts just a bit of spiciness. Very well composed and tasty. The mouthfeel is medium-bodied and gently carbonated, and the drinkability is good. Overall, one of the most enjoyable Belgian-style beers I've had from the States. It stays away from the pitfalls of either too much spicy yeast flavors, or too much Candi sugar that too many American brewers of Belgian styles fall into.

shand, Apr 11, 2013