Zaison "Super" Saison - Brewery Vivant

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: brew3crew on 07-26-2011

Ratings: 41 | Reviews: 12
1.73/5  rDev -54.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

I wonder if I had a skunked can of beer? I was surprised in that most (all?) BA reviews had Zaison rated much better than I thought it was.

It poured flat, very little carbonation. Lacing quickly dissipated. Golden yellow color, slightly hazy.

Smell was sweet, the only scent I could clearly place was grapefruit.

It had strong stale-sweet taste and an almost 'chewey' mouth feel.

This beer was about as poor tasting as it could be for me to finish, any worse and it would have been poured down the drain. I would only try it again to see if maybe I did have a can that was old, it had no date.

3.64/5  rDev -4%

16 ounce can into tulip glass, no canning date. Pours slightly hazy golden amber color with a 2 finger fluffy white head with good retention, that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Some slight spotty lacing on the glass. Aromas of lemon, apple, grape, pepper, clove, bread, orange zest, grass, wet hay, slight funk, and yeast spiciness. Some nice and well balanced aromas with good complexity. Taste of lemon, pepper, grape, apple, apricot, clove, coriander, bread, grass, hay, tart earthiness, light funk, and yeast spiciness. Tart spiciness on the finish; with lingering notes of citrus, grape, apple, pepper, hay, clove, coriander, earth, and tart fruitiness on the finish for a good bit. Some pretty good flavor balance; but there is a bit too much bready earthiness for my liking. Flavors are minimally cloying, and are not an issue with enjoying this one slowly. Medium carbonation and medium-full bodied; with a fairly creamy and slick mouthfeel. Pretty easy to sip on at 9%, with only a slight alcohol warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a nice imperial saison. Some nice flavor complexity; and quite smooth for such a big beer. Enjoyable stuff.

3.82/5  rDev +0.8%

A - Pours a hazy orange-tinged golden brown with almost two fingers of white head that quickly settle into a thin cap. Not much lacing left behind.

S - Smell is initially grain and citrus, with some yeast funk and a bit of spice coming through as well. Has a sour edge to it.

T - Tart citrus, combined with wheat and yeast. Desent funk presence. More tart than I expected, with some pepper and other spice coming through as well. Pretty tasty.

M - Pretty full bodied for a saison, but I guess it's about right for an imperial saison.

O - An enjoyable brew from Vivant, but I think I'd rather have a regular saison on most occasions. This just feels a bit too heavy and lacks the refreshing qualities I like from the style.

3.97/5  rDev +4.7%

Tall boy can served in a Lost Abbey stemmed glass.

A: Pours a chilled light amber color with a frothy light yellow head forming on the pour. It recedes to a solid collar with a thin film. Small splotches of lace left around the glass.

S: Big funk up front with some orange zest and a pale malt backbone. Light lemon pledge, some barnyard and some fresh hay.

T: Barnyard and mildly cheesy funk. Grassy fresh hay, pale malts zesty tangerine sweetness and some lemon grass with a clean finish.

M: Nice light body with a bit of bite. Medium carbonation and a sweet, but clean finish.

O: Nice funky saison with great citrus zest. Pretty solid start to my Brewery Vivant beers I've got in the fridge.

4.03/5  rDev +6.3%

My first chance to try Vivant, thanks to buddy from Michigan.

A really intriguing beer! Lemon and hint of pepper on the nose. Cloudy golden/orange look, with nice creamy thick head.
Once I tasted it, the pepper was more pronounced. Some orange rind too, and slightly sweet malt. The ABV is masked. I totally forgot this was in the 9% range but toward the end of the glass, I was reminded! Very interesting beer from a creative brewery.... I look forward to more of their stuff!

4.26/5  rDev +12.4%

Limited edition canned release. 9.0% ABV per the can. Brewed with Tellecherry black peppercorns and orange peel, fermented with Saison yeast. $11.99 for a 4-pack of 16oz cans.

Pours out to a hazy orange, forming a modest white head with poor retention and absent lacing. Mild to moderate carbonation, not strongly carbonated like most Saisons's, which is fine with me. The aroma is very very nice. Musty dusty basement, fresh pepper, and subtle oranges. Mouthfeel is crisp and clean with a piquant tartness and a thick body. The taste is a recap of the aroma...nicely balanced pepper (I could stand to have a little more, but it's not subtle) with some saison funk sitting on a big malt body, followed by subtle orange flavor and a mild, but well-balanced hop bitterness. No appreciable hop flavor or aroma. There is a touch of metals in the finish, as well some warm alcohols, but no fusels, thank god. Quite filling. Not something you would drink on a hot summer day like most saisons.

A really nice beer. I would buy it again and would recommend it to anyone looking at trying something a little more experimental.

3.91/5  rDev +3.2%

Pour is a lovely gold. A nice fat head plumes up once the can starts to spill. Fluffy and white and really adding an element of visual appeal.

The nose has a nice bit of sourness. The orange peal comes through, but the Tellicherry black peppercorns listed as an additive are not much of an influence. Vague pepper inklings are largely lost amidst the acidic sourness that overrides.

The taste is sour. It finishes with a nice orange freshness that lingers. Again, the peppercorn does not seem notable. Perhaps drinking this without the peppercorn would make its influence more appreciable. It may well be offsetting some of the other flavors and be just enough to be relevant. It is nice to not have to endure something like coriander which is quite lacking in subtlety and can become very overpowering.

The mouthfeel is medium. It is "Imperial." Or "Super" as it were. Some sturdiness from the beefy grain bill.

Overall, this is drinkable. I think being an imperial, it of course loses most of the refreshing qualities of traditional saisons due to having a grain bill that is larger on average than most of the traditional versions and hence a bigger ABV. In a way it kind of takes the point of that highly drinkable summer beer and what it was all about and makes it an American abomination which is what innovation is all about! I am all for it. BV has their own thing and we still have Farm Hand to fill those refreshing shoes!

3.57/5  rDev -5.8%

Pint can, poured into a Duvel tulip.

A- 1-1/2 finger, off-white head fades to a thin film quite quickly. Cloudy, golden-orange body sports light carbonation. Not much stick left on the glass. Hazy body is the highlight.

S- lots of lemon with a little black pepper right off the bat. Orange zest. Malts seem more sugary than grainy. Sweetness increases with warmth.

T- As aroma suggests, lots of citrus and a solid punch of black pepper (much more than the aroma would hint). Lots of residual sweetness with just a hint of funk. A little alcohol warmth. Clean, dry finish.

M- Nice, full body. Light carbonation tiptoes around "under-carbonated." A little bite from the peppery qualities, maybe a little ABV induced as well (9%).

O- an easy drinker for higher ABV. Had a tall pour at the release party. Didn't think I could review out of the plastic cup. Not a bad beer, but not my favorite Saison. Peppery flavor provides a bit too much bite. I prefer a little more must/funk.

3.32/5  rDev -12.4%

Golden color in the snifter. Head dissipates leaving a rather flat mouthfeel. Rich and strong but flavors are pretty plain. Just a sharp Belgian yeast zinginess followed by some bitterish funk. Clean but not as interesting or complex as many Saisons. I was happy to see so many Belgian inspired beers at Brewery Vivant, but the one I liked much better was the Amarillo Gold.

On tap at Hop Cat Sept. 12 where it was listed at 9.2%. Described as an Imperial Saison.

3.55/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I had this on-tap at the Hopcat.

Appearance: Pours a clear amber with a layer of white head that fades to a ring around the glass.

Smell: A bit sweet from the malt. Belgian spice with some fruity notes.

Taste: Belgian spice up front. Quite peppery. There is a malt sweetness with some fruity undertones and a bitter sweet finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with tingly carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: I wasn't ready for the pepper from the smell. It was a very nice surprise. The alcohol didn't show up very much. A nice take on the style.

4.38/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Draft to tulip at Hop Cat in Grand Rapids, MI. First, I've gotta give this bar a plug. It's the best beer bar I've ever been to, and the staff is FANTASTIC, especially Steve, who is in charge of the beer ordering (and i think brewing too). He saw my 3 Floyds t-shirt and brought over a rare beer for my wife and i to share, saying "you won the beer gear of the day award." now onto this review. Looks and smells great. You can sence the saison in the scent, but you can tell it's abv is souped up. Tastes great too! I was concerned thart it would be hot, especially given that it's a saison, and that the abv would detract from the flavor - but I was wrong (happily). It also was palate-friendly. Overall, a great beer that I can't wait to have again. In fact, I'd order another right now, but my wife is buzzed up, and I'm stuck driving :/ Well done, Brewery Vivant!

4.42/5  rDev +16.6%

On tap at the brewpub. 7/22

A-Golden yellow with a nice bit of white head

S-orangish and very peppery

T-Crazy peppery. Which I thought i wouldnt like but it really grew on me and It is delicious. Very smooth and I want more!

M-Medium body and smooth.

O-Great beer. My standard for Saison's. I hope they start bottling this soon! Really drinkable

Zaison "Super" Saison from Brewery Vivant