Zaison "Super" Saison - Brewery Vivant

Zaison "Super" Saison
No picture uploaded.

Brewery Vivant visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: brew3crew on 07-26-2011)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by SupaCelt:
3.93/5  rDev +3.4%

Pour is a lovely gold. A nice fat head plumes up once the can starts to spill. Fluffy and white and really adding an element of visual appeal.

The nose has a nice bit of sourness. The orange peal comes through, but the Tellicherry black peppercorns listed as an additive are not much of an influence. Vague pepper inklings are largely lost amidst the acidic sourness that overrides.

The taste is sour. It finishes with a nice orange freshness that lingers. Again, the peppercorn does not seem notable. Perhaps drinking this without the peppercorn would make its influence more appreciable. It may well be offsetting some of the other flavors and be just enough to be relevant. It is nice to not have to endure something like coriander which is quite lacking in subtlety and can become very overpowering.

The mouthfeel is medium. It is "Imperial." Or "Super" as it were. Some sturdiness from the beefy grain bill.

Overall, this is drinkable. I think being an imperial, it of course loses most of the refreshing qualities of traditional saisons due to having a grain bill that is larger on average than most of the traditional versions and hence a bigger ABV. In a way it kind of takes the point of that highly drinkable summer beer and what it was all about and makes it an American abomination which is what innovation is all about! I am all for it. BV has their own thing and we still have Farm Hand to fill those refreshing shoes!

SupaCelt, Apr 03, 2012

DanGeo, Jun 04, 2013
3.83/5  rDev +0.8%

A - Pours a hazy orange-tinged golden brown with almost two fingers of white head that quickly settle into a thin cap. Not much lacing left behind.

S - Smell is initially grain and citrus, with some yeast funk and a bit of spice coming through as well. Has a sour edge to it.

T - Tart citrus, combined with wheat and yeast. Desent funk presence. More tart than I expected, with some pepper and other spice coming through as well. Pretty tasty.

M - Pretty full bodied for a saison, but I guess it's about right for an imperial saison.

O - An enjoyable brew from Vivant, but I think I'd rather have a regular saison on most occasions. This just feels a bit too heavy and lacks the refreshing qualities I like from the style.

warnerry, May 06, 2012

rolandboy, Nov 13, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

cates1tg, May 04, 2012

SpdKilz, Jun 20, 2013

DCdevyl78, Jan 30, 2014

tommy5, Feb 28, 2014
3.55/5  rDev -6.6%

I had this on-tap at the Hopcat.

Appearance: Pours a clear amber with a layer of white head that fades to a ring around the glass.

Smell: A bit sweet from the malt. Belgian spice with some fruity notes.

Taste: Belgian spice up front. Quite peppery. There is a malt sweetness with some fruity undertones and a bitter sweet finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with tingly carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: I wasn't ready for the pepper from the smell. It was a very nice surprise. The alcohol didn't show up very much. A nice take on the style.

oline73, Sep 06, 2011
4.4/5  rDev +15.8%

I picked up a tall boy of Brewery Vivant's Zaison Super Saison last week for $3.29 at The Lager Mill. This is the second beer in Brewery Vivant's Brewery Reserve series, I thought that the first one, Kludde was pretty unusual so hope this one turns out good, so lets see how it goes. No visible canning date, but its a fresh spring release, pretty fitting for the season. Poured from a 16oz can into a tulip.

A- The can is pretty much the same as the other beer in the series. except it had a nicely drawn castle scene on the sticker, it looks pretty good. It poured a nice pale golden color that was kind of hazy and took on a nice bright orange tint when held to the light and it had two and half fingers worth of velvety smooth white head that left hardly any lacing and died down to a thin ring that eventually faded to nothing. This was a proper looking Saison but I wish it had some lacing and better retention.

S- The aroma starts off with lots of sweet malts that have a slightly wheaty and bready aroma. Next comes a pretty earthy hay and straw aroma followed by a slight tart aroma. Next comes those typical spice aromas that you get from the Belgian yeast followed by some citrus rinds and some peppery aromas. Towards that end I get some grassy and earthiness that could be from some hops. The aroma was pretty damn nice, and just how I would expect a well done Saison to smell and the extra alcohol didn't show up in the aroma.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma, at the start I get some some pretty sweet malty and wheaty flavors followed by some nice lemon and orange rind flavors and a lighter amount of peppercorns. Next comes a little bit more sweetness with some grassy hay and a very slight funky slightly barnyard flavor followed by a little bit of tartness. Towards the end I get a really slight amount of alcohol followed by some more and sweet and tart flavors and a sweet, bready, and citrusy aftertaste. I really like the flavor of this beer, it had all those normal Saison flavors they just stuck out more and were much bolder I really liked that.

M- Pretty smooth, slightly creamy, crisp, on the thicker side of being medium bodied, and it had a lower amount of medium carbonation that worked well with this beer. The mouthfeel is nice, it's much bigger then your normal Saison, but so is this beer, so it's needs a bigger body, it works out well.

Overall I really liked this beer and I thought it was a good example of a Saison, specifically the higher alcohol or Imperial Saisons, I haven't had many but this beer had all the nice flavors and aromas that I want from the style just way more intense. This beer had great drinkability, it's a bigger beer but the alcohol hardly shows, it goes down smooth, and has more then enough flavor to hold my attention, I wouldn't mind drinking on a four pack on hot day. What I liked most about this beer was pretty much every thing, but I thought the aroma and taste stuck as being especially good. What I liked least about this beer was nothing, I couldn't find one flaw with this beer and that doesn't happen very often, but I do wish it was a little cheaper and that this was a year round beer and not a limited release. I would buy this beer again, it's a little expensive but worth the price, in fact I will be picking up a four pack before this great beer disappears. If you like Saison's, but want something a little stronger with bigger flavors this beer is for you. I thought the first beer in the series was just ok, but Brewery Vivant really took it to the next level with this beer and it is pretty much everything I would want in a Super Saison, I might even try holding on to a can for a while to see if any of those light funky flavors get any stronger. Brewery Vivant did a great job with this beer and I can't wait to see what else they have in store for this series, I hope a Quad and Tripel show up in the near future, great job guys this is one awesome Super Saison.

StoutHunter, Apr 26, 2012

TCgoalie, Dec 29, 2011

jmich24, May 26, 2012

Steimie, Jun 05, 2012
4.03/5  rDev +6.1%

My first chance to try Vivant, thanks to buddy from Michigan.

A really intriguing beer! Lemon and hint of pepper on the nose. Cloudy golden/orange look, with nice creamy thick head.
Once I tasted it, the pepper was more pronounced. Some orange rind too, and slightly sweet malt. The ABV is masked. I totally forgot this was in the 9% range but toward the end of the glass, I was reminded! Very interesting beer from a creative brewery.... I look forward to more of their stuff!

UpToMeBeer, Apr 15, 2012
3.25/5  rDev -14.5%

thebigredone, May 30, 2012
3.55/5  rDev -6.6%

Pint can, poured into a Duvel tulip.

A- 1-1/2 finger, off-white head fades to a thin film quite quickly. Cloudy, golden-orange body sports light carbonation. Not much stick left on the glass. Hazy body is the highlight.

S- lots of lemon with a little black pepper right off the bat. Orange zest. Malts seem more sugary than grainy. Sweetness increases with warmth.

T- As aroma suggests, lots of citrus and a solid punch of black pepper (much more than the aroma would hint). Lots of residual sweetness with just a hint of funk. A little alcohol warmth. Clean, dry finish.

M- Nice, full body. Light carbonation tiptoes around "under-carbonated." A little bite from the peppery qualities, maybe a little ABV induced as well (9%).

O- an easy drinker for higher ABV. Had a tall pour at the release party. Didn't think I could review out of the plastic cup. Not a bad beer, but not my favorite Saison. Peppery flavor provides a bit too much bite. I prefer a little more must/funk.

GRPunk, Apr 01, 2012
3.63/5  rDev -4.5%

16 ounce can into tulip glass, no canning date. Pours slightly hazy golden amber color with a 2 finger fluffy white head with good retention, that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Some slight spotty lacing on the glass. Aromas of lemon, apple, grape, pepper, clove, bread, orange zest, grass, wet hay, slight funk, and yeast spiciness. Some nice and well balanced aromas with good complexity. Taste of lemon, pepper, grape, apple, apricot, clove, coriander, bread, grass, hay, tart earthiness, light funk, and yeast spiciness. Tart spiciness on the finish; with lingering notes of citrus, grape, apple, pepper, hay, clove, coriander, earth, and tart fruitiness on the finish for a good bit. Some pretty good flavor balance; but there is a bit too much bready earthiness for my liking. Flavors are minimally cloying, and are not an issue with enjoying this one slowly. Medium carbonation and medium-full bodied; with a fairly creamy and slick mouthfeel. Pretty easy to sip on at 9%, with only a slight alcohol warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a nice imperial saison. Some nice flavor complexity; and quite smooth for such a big beer. Enjoyable stuff.

superspak, May 10, 2012

smalenberg, Oct 15, 2012
3.33/5  rDev -12.4%

Golden color in the snifter. Head dissipates leaving a rather flat mouthfeel. Rich and strong but flavors are pretty plain. Just a sharp Belgian yeast zinginess followed by some bitterish funk. Clean but not as interesting or complex as many Saisons. I was happy to see so many Belgian inspired beers at Brewery Vivant, but the one I liked much better was the Amarillo Gold.

On tap at Hop Cat Sept. 12 where it was listed at 9.2%. Described as an Imperial Saison.

mactrail, Nov 27, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -14.5%

Shatter, Apr 29, 2013
1.68/5  rDev -55.8%

I wonder if I had a skunked can of beer? I was surprised in that most (all?) BA reviews had Zaison rated much better than I thought it was.

It poured flat, very little carbonation. Lacing quickly dissipated. Golden yellow color, slightly hazy.

Smell was sweet, the only scent I could clearly place was grapefruit.

It had strong stale-sweet taste and an almost 'chewey' mouth feel.

This beer was about as poor tasting as it could be for me to finish, any worse and it would have been poured down the drain. I would only try it again to see if maybe I did have a can that was old, it had no date.

CopperMtnPlowboy, Jan 27, 2013